FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Magdalene Sisters

Magdalene Sisters

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Film on tonight. Great film... awful thing to have happened!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *artinichilled1TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

Saw the film a few years ago.Great film.

Some terrible things went on.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Excellent film. Awful to think that this went on less than 50 years ago (the film was set between 1964 and 1968).

I saw it for the first time a few years ago, and it was the key factor in turning me off religion completely, and becoming a self-proclaimed aetheist.

However, 50 years on, it seems that the hypocrisy of the church (especially the Catholic church) hasn't changed a bit.

...I'm guessing it's not a comedy then?

"...I'm guessing it's not a comedy then? "

Well it focuses on the biggest joke in the world.........religion.

What got me was the music the girls listened to, in their room - it was the music of my teenage years. Only then did it hit me how recently these abominations had taken place.

I'm reading Christopher Hitchens' 'God Is Not Great'; a must read for anybody who wants to have a balanced view.

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

Channel is it on?

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

Great song by Joni Mitchell and The Chieftains with an informative video too...

http://youtu.be/mVLJaa6XYaA

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Channel is it on?"

BBC1 at midnight

"Excellent film. Awful to think that this went on less than 50 years ago (the film was set between 1964 and 1968).

I saw it for the first time a few years ago, and it was the key factor in turning me off religion completely, and becoming a self-proclaimed aetheist.

However, 50 years on, it seems that the hypocrisy of the church (especially the Catholic church) hasn't changed a bit."

Were you a regular churchgoer before?

"What got me was the music the girls listened to, in their room - it was the music of my teenage years. Only then did it hit me how recently these abominations had taken place.

I'm reading Christopher Hitchens' 'God Is Not Great'; a must read for anybody who wants to have a balanced view.

"

And what are you using as a counterweight?

I can't watch it. Too awful

I love the film and the book, heartbreaking though

Nette

"I can't watch it. Too awful "

I've put it on record but I fear I might be turning it off.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Channel is it on?

BBC1 at midnight "

Long lasting emotional scars were left, fucking evil penguins......

"Channel is it on?

BBC1 at midnight Long lasting emotional scars were left, fucking evil penguins......"

Based on a true story and the last of the Magdalene houses only shut pretty recently shocking how young single mothers were treated.

"What got me was the music the girls listened to, in their room - it was the music of my teenage years. Only then did it hit me how recently these abominations had taken place.

And what are you using as a counterweight? "

Bible and similar sources perhaps?(Or rather, its interpreters, who cause all the problems; those who wield all the power)

The last one actually shut down in the late 80's and while reglion is often blamed evil people like something to blame there actions on when in fact they are just evil

"Excellent film. Awful to think that this went on less than 50 years ago (the film was set between 1964 and 1968).

However, 50 years on, it seems that the hypocrisy of the church (especially the Catholic church) hasn't changed a bit.

Were you a regular churchgoer before? "

Only by force - and that was because I had to attend with my family every Sunday, who are some of the biggest hypocrites going. By the time I reached my mid-teens, I let them know in no uncertain terms that they were no longer going to bully me into following an imaginary person or a book full of conspiracy theories.

"The last one actually shut down in the late 80's and while reglion is often blamed evil people like something to blame there actions on when in fact they are just evil "

The last one shut down as late as 1996. Although the state and some large corporates kept them open, it was the Irish Catholic church that reigned their evil over everything.

"Film on tonight. Great film... awful thing to have happened!"

Harrowing and uncomfortable viewing although its worth watching if for nothing else than to see how religion can be twisted by individuals in power.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"The last one actually shut down in the late 80's and while reglion is often blamed evil people like something to blame there actions on when in fact they are just evil "

The last Magdalene Laundry closed in 1996. And survivors said that the reality was worse than the film.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

was taught by nuns in the 60's, some were proper horrible human beings and others were ok..

mind you we had a mixture of them and normal teachers, well normal ish i suppose..

not sure i would have liked being in any environment where they had sole control, the laundries and the regime that protected it including the State were a stain on humanity..

By *illycarrolCouple  over a year ago

n/cle on tyne

this had virtually nothing to do with "religion" it was a vast money making enterprise under the guise of religion the same set of circumstances happened in a lot of european countries predominatly catholic countries, children taken off mothers straight after birth then sold to rich cpls ,slave labour and the sexual abuse was criminal but if the girls complained they were abused even more by the very people who were meant to "save them"

» Add a new message to this topic