FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > David Bowie – 5 Years

David Bowie – 5 Years

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've been having a bit of a browse on Youtube this morning, and I spotted a live Top Of The Pops version of Bowie's 5 Years (from 1972). It really got me thinking.

This was really radical stuff for 1972. The song is about the announcement of the end of the world, the breakdown society, and people either cracking-up or being heroic or stoical. The subject of the song, and the matter-of-fact, truthful style of Bowie’s delivery are shocking and arrestiing. Bowie’s youthful and beautiful face - with his different coloured eyes, are equally striking. It seems to me this is a seminal performance that helped to changed what we perceived as pop music, what was appropriate behaviour, how we should look, and what it was appropriate to say on family TV.

"The cop knelt and kissed the feet of the priest - and the queer threw up at the sight of that"

All this was on Top Of The Pops! – watched by tens of millions at peak viewing time. Compare this with peak time shows today, compare with X-Factor (with it’s Barbie doll, hair-extension, wannabe diva clones, with their ‘same old - same old’ cover versions.) I reckon we’ve gone a long way backwards in 38 years!

Do go and take a look at 5 Years – it’s wonderful stuff!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The song still gives me goose pimples when I play it.

great song and a great artist.

Only got into Bowie through an ex a few years back and the guy is well talented.

Great voice Bowie has but some song choices haven't always been the best.

Well the 'Laughing Gnome' maybe or the Bing Crossby duet, but he's been pretty consistently brilliant. I guess I'm a fan of the 70's stuff mostly. '5 Years' isn't necessarily my favourite track but there's something true and humane about it that I love. Conveniently forgetting 'Boom Bang-a-Bang' by Lulu for a moment, Life on Mars was the first single I bought LOL.

Oooh - Hang on just a moment....I've just remembered my Mum taking me to buy

'Sugar Sugar' by The Archies:

"Sugar Sugar,

Da da da-da Da Da,

You are my Candy Girl,

and you've got me wanting you"

The Archies were the Gorillaz of the 60's !

» Add a new message to this topic