FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Cold Callers

Cold Callers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Who like me is fed up when you get home after a hard days work, just having your tea when, your phone rings to find a cold caller.

Me I am so pissed off with them, wait to see if it is not somebody I know and when hi or something comes from the phone, I blow a mighty whistle down the phone and put phone down, gets rid of them.

Am interested what others do

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

We don't get any, we registered on that website that blocks them ( can't remember what the hell it was called now but someone will know )

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I registered to get them blocked.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Who like me is fed up when you get home after a hard days work, just having your tea when, your phone rings to find a cold caller.

Me I am so pissed off with them, wait to see if it is not somebody I know and when hi or something comes from the phone, I blow a mighty whistle down the phone and put phone down, gets rid of them.

Am interested what others do "

We tell them that our number is ex directory and on the "no call list" - they usually apologise and hang up as they are not supposed to call you. It works everytime

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I think I did mine through BT... but it's the 'Call Prevention Registry'

"I think I did mine through BT... but it's the 'Call Prevention Registry'"

Yep, that is one of them...

"Who like me is fed up when you get home after a hard days work, just having your tea when, your phone rings to find a cold caller.

The phone belongs to me. I do not belong to the phone.

If it rings I choose to ignore it. Ah.... you say ..... but what if it's someone important. Well let's suppose it is. So you answer it and it isn't so shouldn't you have just done what you wanted in the first place and NOT answered the bloody phone?

Join Telephone Preferences.... it's free.... and I never get these type of calls as I a member.

Incidentally ... if you didn't want this message from me .....are you going to blow a whistle at it ?

Bit odd that dear... have a little snooze n repeat this mantra .....

I had the phone put in so people could contact me... I had the phone put in so people coul....... et etc .....

when i did have the landline i just used to sit the receiver down and let them waffle on lol xx

[Removed by poster at 17/03/10 20:30:36]

I usually pick a competitor in whatever product they're trying to sell me and say I work for them and would they be interested in listening to what I have to say. Works a treat!

"[Removed by poster at 17/03/10 20:30:36]"

Oops - you beat me to it Granny. x

No one rings me using my landline early evenings, and I don't answer any calls before 22:00h except pre-arranged ones. Simples!

By *ebzStarWoman  over a year ago

Notting

You can register with a company on line called TPS.

When i did night shifts it annoyed me how many calls that woke me up in the day for shite like that.

I used to wish i could call them back at 3am and see how THEY liked it!!!

Grrrr.

Then i registered with TPS online and have not had a single call since

(well not got a landline at mo so wont, lol, but it really did work )

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

register with the telephone preference list (you may have to wait 3 months or so before all lists are refreshed) and then when you get a cold call ask them where they bought their data from as you have registered and they are breking the law by contacting you

this will only work if you are sure that you always opt out of further contact etc when signing up for things online or sending off coupons etc (read the small print very carefully as some will be tick to opt in and some will be opt out!)

if you are sure that you are registered on all relevant preference lists (mail, phone, email etc) the company that contacts you is obliged under either the DPA or DMA (direct marketing association) guidelines to tell you where they bought your data from

or alternatively hand up/blow a whistle/tell em to f off - whichever floats ya boat

p.s. yes i do work in a call centre but not a cold caling outbound one so i am nice

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

OOoo I just love them!

They are nearly as welcome but less fun than the the Jovo's!

But in answer to your question, I never answer Number withheld calls.

I enjoy toying with the "confidential" market research callers. It really gets interesting when they ask for my name and address. Gets even more interesting when they take the hook and I can play them

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

We no longer have a land line but used to quite enjoy toying with cold callers - a good one is to say you're going to get the person they're after and just lay the phone down on the side for ages! go back after a few minutes and say they won't be long and just keep doing that! Or, say you're changed your number to - 01 234 567 89 10 - you can hear them writing it down! Great fun! Z

Just talk to them about jesus. They will soon call back.

Forum Mod

We don't get then anymore but just before we stopped them we got about 5 in one evening at around teatime,Rob told the last one to piss off and put the phone down,a couple of minutes later they phoned back saying how dare he tell them to piss off

I can't tell you what his response was to that

we had a guy call last night, offering to do a price compare for our energy supplies, after telling him 3 times that we could do it online without charge he actually said "if you don't do it with me I don't get any commission"

I mean, what company (cause I didnt even get as far as asking this) would have a set up where you pay to compare energy prices when there's so many online sites that do it at no charge

By *zMaleMan  over a year ago

penzance

I always answer them at least it's someone to talk to

"we had a guy call last night, offering to do a price compare for our energy supplies, after telling him 3 times that we could do it online without charge he actually said "if you don't do it with me I don't get any commission"

I mean, what company (cause I didnt even get as far as asking this) would have a set up where you pay to compare energy prices when there's so many online sites that do it at no charge "

Because most people are totally confused by online sites and so end up doing nothing at all. The companies that canvass you know this and they know that if they can get to speak to you directly, you are more likely to switch to a better tarrif, one of thier choosing.

I subscribe to MoneySavingExpert.com and his weekly newsletter is packed full of savings etc but more importantly, he covers the energy tarrifs on a weekly basis so you know who has the best prices and the best rewards for switching.

"we had a guy call last night, offering to do a price compare for our energy supplies, after telling him 3 times that we could do it online without charge he actually said "if you don't do it with me I don't get any commission"

I mean, what company (cause I didnt even get as far as asking this) would have a set up where you pay to compare energy prices when there's so many online sites that do it at no charge

Because most people are totally confused by online sites and so end up doing nothing at all. The companies that canvass you know this and they know that if they can get to speak to you directly, you are more likely to switch to a better tarrif, one of thier choosing.

I subscribe to MoneySavingExpert.com and his weekly newsletter is packed full of savings etc but more importantly, he covers the energy tarrifs on a weekly basis so you know who has the best prices and the best rewards for switching."

we do the same

Well cold calls can get from 4 to 8 a day and its most days over the last month not sure why now i am starting to get alot .. all i know is i neew to have them stop ,,,, or i will end up going mad at them., jo x

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

i just shout abuse down the phone, very good for venting

I subscribe to MoneySavingExpert.com and his weekly newsletter is packed full of savings etc but more importantly, he covers the energy tarrifs on a weekly basis so you know who has the best prices and the best rewards for switching.

we do the same "

same here you get some good offers with it and dscount codes etc last ones i had was half price at pizza hut and saved a fortune!

"snipped.....I blow a mighty whistle down the phone and put phone down, gets rid of them.

Not a good idea, after all the caller is just doing their job. I'm sure you wouldn't like abuse for doing your job, even if it does annoy some...

Register with the preference list, google it.

and no I have nothing to do with calling, but might have an annoying job

Like has been said they are only doing their job - I used to be an outbound call operative - fancy name for calling people about their chosen charity, but I NEVER had to do cold calling, I refused to do it when I was asked cos I hate it.

I was often asked where we got the info (duh it was a prearranged call they agreed to )

What I do when people cold call me is tell them Im unemployed (according to them I have never worked) do not own my own home, do not drive, live in a top floor flat (even when I didnt lol) sometimes I am the babysitter and have no idea when i will be back!!!

Ohh but yesterday I got a txt on my home phone, it was from a call centre, asking us to phone them back, when did they start doing that?? We googled the number and thats how we know its a call centre selling double glazing, maybe I should have called them back and told them to bill the housing assoc for it!!

Shona

x x x

I usually don't answer numbers I don't recognise. If it's remotely important, or they actually are ringing for a reason then they'll leave an answer phone message. If they don't it obviously wasn't that important!

» Add a new message to this topic