FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Peacemaker worthy of Nobel Prize....or Terrorist?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Peacemaker worthy of Nobel Prize....or Terrorist?"

Definately the former.

Why? Imagine if a group of people came into the UK, took away the vote from British people, denied us access to the best medical and educational facilities and forced us to live in 'shanty towns', I think we'd describe the person who liberated us from that tyranny a 'hero'-just my opinion of course!

Mandela was a qualified solicitor with his own business, so had a lot to lose by raising his head above the parapet.

Ps: Just to add, when he was released from prison he didn't seek revenge or retribution against the people who had held him captive for the best part of his life, not many of us could have remained so even handed about it.

I'd wage that after a lifetime in jail the last thing he'd want to do is jeopardise that long awaited freedom with a pintless retribution.

But in a way he did get his revenge, he became President of the country that incarcerated and persecuted him for most of his life.

It's a pity that his exemplary record is blemished by his former wife and her incongruous associates.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Does his time as leader of Umkhonto we Sizwe and the campaign of sabotage, terror and his plans to start a guerilla war in South Africa not blemish his later record?

"I'd wage that after a lifetime in jail the last thing he'd want to do is jeopardise that long awaited freedom with a pintless retribution. "

As president he would have been in an unchallengeable position, it wouldn't have been beyond the then newly implemented constitution to make those who had played a part in the apartheid regime accountable through law, it was that type of 'revenge' I was meaning.

"

It's a pity that his exemplary record is blemished by his former wife and her incongruous associates."

Personally I dont think the activities of Winnie Mandela reflect badly on him at all, the poor bugger was in prison for most of their marriage and soon distanced himself from her and got a divirce when her misdemeanours came to light!

"Does his time as leader of Umkhonto we Sizwe and the campaign of sabotage, terror and his plans to start a guerilla war in South Africa not blemish his later record?"

Again, not in my opinion, if it did no armed conflict woudl ever be justifiable.

I think the salient difference between the ANC and other direct action groups, say the IRA, is that the ANC had no recourse through the ballot box.

People denied access to the democratic platform will employ desperate measures to resolve the injustices against them

By *zMaleMan  over a year ago

penzance

A very good question. I have been asking myself this for a long time but I still can't decide.

He was both and he cost life in the early days. But he changed and maybe we should accept people change.

By *irtydanMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

theres lots of reasons why people change money ?

"theres lots of reasons why people change money ?"

In Mandela's case I'd say the person he is now is the person he was before he was compelled to support direct action.

The lives of his countrymen were being taken and brutalised by a wicked regime (Google the Sharpeville Massacre), and he had little option to change that regime.

So did he do it for money? Why would he? He was earning a good living (for a black man in apartheid SA) as a solicitor, I believe he changed back to who he was once they were given the representation that shouldnt have been denied them in the first place. :o)

As he renounced terrorism and "done his time" definately a statesman

"theres lots of reasons why people change money ?

In Mandela's case I'd say the person he is now is the person he was before he was compelled to support direct action.

The lives of his countrymen were being taken and brutalised by a wicked regime (Google the Sharpeville Massacre), and he had little option to change that regime.

So did he do it for money? Why would he? He was earning a good living (for a black man in apartheid SA) as a solicitor, I believe he changed back to who he was once they were given the representation that shouldnt have been denied them in the first place. :o)"

Interesting bloke but i don't think he was in it for the money. If he was he would have gone on the after dinner speaking thing round the world. Would have made millions if all he was after was the dollar.

hmm think he was worthy of it , his cause was noble and he acted with dignity throughout so for me was the right man for it .

Having visited Robben Island and seen his cell and amazingly managing to keep the peace in a land where absolutely every ethnic group has inbuilt dislikes of each other through the truth and reconciliation commission I have to say absolute peacemaker. He inspired a model that was used closer to home in Northern Ireland - often peacemakers have to cause disturbances to draw attention to the violence that is unjustifiably being used upon them without raising any concern to the ignorant majority. One cannot blame those who are ignorant just raise their awareness of what exists just as originally Gandhi, then Martin Luther King Junior, then Mandela and now people like Aung San Suu Kyi in Burma (Myenmar) are doing the same.

Thought ya was gonna say he was dead

[Removed by poster at 17/03/10 17:33:51]

If I was honest I'd have to admit that I really don't give a toss about what happens in a country I've never visited or ever plan to visit. South Africa, Burma, blah blah .. I've no interest in any of those places and if people haven't got the balls to stand up to their oppressors then they get whatever is dealt out to them. I know I'm going to get flamed for this but I'm no humanitarian by any measure of the word, shit happens, it always has and always will. If you write the word 'doormat' on your forehead don't be surprised if someone wipes their feet on you.

I firmly believe that help starts at home and we should sort our country out before sorting out someone else's.

I somewhat agree.

When nelson mandela came into the political arena he was gonna do so much for his people.

Build houses and create jobs etc and none of that has happened.

I believe he thought he could do this but had not reckoned on the situation he was embroiling himself into.

Get rid of the rot which shadows these countries before anything good happens.

Until then, we have to look after this tiny little island and try and sort its rot out.

"Does his time as leader of Umkhonto we Sizwe and the campaign of sabotage, terror and his plans to start a guerilla war in South Africa not blemish his later record?"

I don't think many of us (except the SS & Gestapo) would regard the French Resistance as a terrorist organisation, so neither should we regard the Spear of the Nation and Mandela as one. Oppression is Bad - Opposing it is justified.

PS. I went to South Africa for 3 weeks a couple of years ago. It was amazingly beautiful and I had a wonderful time - I'd reccommend it to anyone! Fly to Capetown and hire a car. Brilliant!

» Add a new message to this topic