FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > HRT/Testosterone

HRT/Testosterone

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Is it fair that women can get HRT but it's difficult for men to get Testosterone replacement on the NHS?

Any men on Testosterone replacement? Would you take it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Not fair.

"Not fair. "

Do you think men would ask for it?

Probably not. As sexist as it might seem, I reckon women are more likely to ask for help than men. Not always, but often. It's a shame.

By *irtyAndCh33kyCouple  over a year ago

North Wales

HRT is available on the NHS for men with certain conditions but it's not offered routinely for older men who have a natural decline in their testosterone levels.....and it shouldn't be as it's of no benefit.

Mrs Dirty

"HRT is available on the NHS for men with certain conditions but it's not offered routinely for older men who have a natural decline in their testosterone levels.....and it shouldn't be as it's of no benefit.

Mrs Dirty "

Why isn't it of benefit?

North Wales

"HRT is available on the NHS for men with certain conditions but it's not offered routinely for older men who have a natural decline in their testosterone levels.....and it shouldn't be as it's of no benefit.

Mrs Dirty

Why isn't it of benefit?

"

The main reason some think about wanting it is to increase/enhance sexual performance and there is no evidence that it helps. HRT also has many side effects and major risks for both sexes and should never be offered routinely.

Mrs Dirty

Mrs Dirty

Why isn't it of benefit?

The main reason some think about wanting it is to increase/enhance sexual performance and there is no evidence that it helps. HRT also has many side effects and major risks for both sexes and should never be offered routinely.

Mrs Dirty "

Thanks for the response. I personally don't think they should be offered routinely to women - I'm not entirely convinced. I can't take HRT as it triggers my lupus but I am interested in whether men are offered HRT as they get older the way that women are.

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

hrt for females is massively beneficial.

reports to the contrary,have been shown to be flawed,many now even conceded to be flawed,by the very scientist who published said reports.

in what particular areas would hrt be beneficial for men.???

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

Mrs Dirty

Why isn't it of benefit?

Mrs Dirty "

Are u sayin testosterone doesnt affect a mans libido? ??? Men with low test have low libido and depression amd other symptoms. Hrt can change a mans life for the better

North Wales

"hrt for females is massively beneficial.

reports to the contrary,have been shown to be flawed,many now even conceded to be flawed,by the very scientist who published said reports.

in what particular areas would hrt be beneficial for men.???"

It's only beneficial for woman who are not producing any oestrogen...such as women who have had their ovaries removed.

The risks for 'naturally' menopausal women are significant!

Mrs Dirty

Mrs Dirty

Why isn't it of benefit?

Mrs Dirty

Are u sayin testosterone doesnt affect a mans libido? ??? Men with low test have low libido and depression amd other symptoms. Hrt can change a mans life for the better"

This is the area I am interested in learning about. I think a lot of grumpy men may just have low testosterone levels.

North Wales

Mrs Dirty

Why isn't it of benefit?

Mrs Dirty

Are u sayin testosterone doesnt affect a mans libido? ??? Men with low test have low libido and depression amd other symptoms. Hrt can change a mans life for the better"

Yes it does effect a mans libido in some cases....not all older men suffer with these symptoms (whereas all men have a natural decline in testosterone with age).

Other options should be explored before offering HRT and it shouldn't be offered routinely.....I'm not saying never just not routinely as it is not of benefit to the majority of men!

Mrs Dirty

glasgow

It's only beneficial for woman who are not producing any oestrogen...such as women who have had their ovaries removed.

Mrs Dirty "

thats entirely dependant on what study your willing to believe,and they are wildly varied,and often totally opposing in outcome.

I have to agree with Mrs Dirty. I had to have a hysterectomy at 29 years old, which threw me straight into full menopause I had no choice but to take HRT but it took a longtime to find 1 that suited me. Xx

Any perceived benefits (libido issues, effect of real hypogonadism) would need to outweigh the risk of prostate cancer, heart disease etc.

I'd consider it if I ever needed it, but I don't think men as whole need hormone replacement anywhere near as often as women, luckily

Mrs Dirty

Why isn't it of benefit?

"

I work with older gentlemen in my job and believe me they do not need any more testosterone. It's not fun being groped and made rude suggestions at by 90+ year old men!

North Wales

Mrs Dirty

thats entirely dependant on what study your willing to believe,and they are wildly varied,and often totally opposing in outcome."

Studies are always varied as it depends on the reason for doing the study.

As a health professional I tend to look at the NICE guidelines first then critically evaluate any research before making a decision.

I recently had a total hysterectomy and due to my age am opting to take HRT! I thought long and hard before deciding if I would and after a very lengthy chat with my gynae consultant I've opted to take it. The risks of developing breast cancer for 'naturally' menopausal women (who still have their ovaries) who take HRT is significant and even the drug companies (who always try to dispute risks!) clearly state this risk in all there studies and drug leaflets.

Mrs Dirty

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Is it fair that women can get HRT but it's difficult for men to get Testosterone replacement on the NHS?

"

Do women get HRT on the NHS ? Thought it was paid for by those that take it

"Is it fair that women can get HRT but it's difficult for men to get Testosterone replacement on the NHS?

Do women get HRT on the NHS ? Thought it was paid for by those that take it "

I was given HRT for the price of a prescription. It made me really quite ill so even though I don't have ovaries I have opted to remain HRT free and have bone scans instead.

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

Mrs Dirty

Mrs Dirty "

I am not sure your right there ,if you look at the latest conference of experts which took part in Australia this year ,there has been a major shift in medical opinion on the subject

it is also rarely about libido it about generally feeling unwell ,and appears to account for 60% of health spending in the western world .

Good thread splickers !!

Report Enclosed below .

PD

-----------------

Late-onset hypogonadism in men is real – a dramatic shift in expert opinion.

In February 2013 the city of Melbourne, Australia hosted the 10th International Conference of Andrology which is held every four years. The world’s leading researchers, physicians and clinicians from the fields of urology, endocrinology, andrology and reproductive medicine emphasized time and time again that low testosterone underpins major illnesses that account for over 60% of health expenditure in the developed world.

In a major shift of policy, the pivotal message was that Late Onset Hypogonadism (LOH) – testosterone levels in middle-aged and older men at the lower end of the “recognized” normal range – is a major predictor and cause of heart disease, stroke, obesity, diabetes, depression, moods changes, memory and sexual health problems.

The evidence is definitive and conclusive that low testosterone in men is associated with many of the underlying health issues faced by those in developed and developing nations.

The harsh reality in patients who are obese, have diabetes, metabolic syndrome and/or cardiovascular disease is that lifestyle change alone, however well intentioned, is not sufficient to reverse these conditions. The testes in men and the ovaries in women do not magically spring back to life once hormone production has declined. Medical study after medical study shows testosterone to have a profound and lasting effect on reducing body fat, increasing lean muscle mass, increasing blood flow to the heart, brain and periphery, improving sexual function, improving mood and quality of life.

The challenge is now for mainstream medicine to endorse the use of testosterone for its therapeutic effect rather than, as has traditionally been the case, to prescribe testosterone to address a primary or secondary deficiency due to physical assault on the testes or dysfunction of hormone regulators in the brain.

glasgow

Mrs Dirty

thats entirely dependant on what study your willing to believe,and they are wildly varied,and often totally opposing in outcome.

Studies are always varied as it depends on the reason for doing the study.

As a health professional I tend to look at the NICE guidelines first then critically evaluate any research before making a decision.

I recently had a total hysterectomy and due to my age am opting to take HRT! I thought long and hard before deciding if I would and after a very lengthy chat with my gynae consultant I've opted to take it. The risks of developing breast cancer for 'naturally' menopausal women (who still have their ovaries) who take HRT is significant and even the drug companies (who always try to dispute risks!) clearly state this risk in all there studies and drug leaflets.

Mrs Dirty "

almost all studies on HRT have been shown to be flawed,failing to meet the criteria required for such studies.

drug companies,would always prefer to state a disclaimer on their leaflets,rather than be summoned to court facing a lawsuit,no matter how flimsy the evidence.

i find it quite shocking,that a treatment that's been available for so long,and could have such a massive impact,on so many womens lives,is still surrounded by so much ambiguity.

mrs dirty,i'm not looking for an argument,merely attempting to balance an argument,that should have been settled many years ago.

I'm not the smartest of the bunch here but what is that?

"I'm not the smartest of the bunch here but what is that?

"

Testosterone? Simply,it's the male hormone.

Testosterone is necessary to maintain muscles and joints as well as libido and erections. It is also thought to have a part to play in Alzheimer’s disease, osteoporosis, depression and cognitive ability.

Interestingly, that "evil fat" Cholesterol is required to create the Testosterone steroid hormone.

There is currently a huge drive to lower the NHS heart disease rate by lowering cholesterol levels. Statins appear to be the drug of choice to achieve this. As a consequence there is a danger that, if men lower their cholesterol to far for the individual, they run the risk that they won't have enough testosterone to function correctly.

Doctors prescribe statins like Smarties and then monitor only cholesterol levels. If any man reading this has noticed a reduced libido, ED or muscular weakness after taking statins then get back to your doctor fast. Statins litterally nearly killed me!

Testosterone? Simply,it's the male hormone."

Not testosterone. HRT, and whatever the discussion is going on about.

"

HRT = hormone replacement therapy. Usually given to ladies past the menopause to ensure they have the right hormones to lead a heathy life.

The OP was suggesting it is relatively common for women to get HRT but men are seldom given Testosterone to help them.

HRT = hormone replacement therapy. Usually given to ladies past the menopause to ensure they have the right hormones to lead a heathy life.

The OP was suggesting it is relatively common for women to get HRT but men are seldom given Testosterone to help them. "

But, i'm sure the testosterone in a man's body would still be produced, but maybe at a lower rate?

There are testosterone boosters which people can buy as supplements. Will that not do?

"The OP was suggesting it is relatively common for women to get HRT but men are seldom given Testosterone to help them.

But, i'm sure the testosterone in a man's body would still be produced, but maybe at a lower rate?

There are testosterone boosters which people can buy as supplements. Will that not do? "

I am not a doctor so, sorry, cannot answer if testosterone boosters work. If however, like post menopausal women, the man's body is incapable of producing sufficient testosterone a direct supply through drugs would appear called for.

Only a slight tangent I wonder what the effect of oestrogens are having on testosterone levels in men?

By *uited staffs guyMan  over a year ago

staffordshire

The reason testosterone isn't given is that prostate cancer risks significantly increase with age in men, indeed many of the treatments for prostrate cancer specifically block the effects of testosterone

There world need to be good enough evidence that any benefits outweighed this potential risk before supplementation would be available on the NHS and this evidence isn't there at this time

This customer the other day was going on and on about how Soya affects male. Apparently due to it having a 'female testosterone'. Wonder how much of that is true.

Is it?

Mrs Dirty

Mrs Dirty

I am not sure your right there ,if you look at the latest conference of experts which took part in Australia this year ,there has been a major shift in medical opinion on the subject

it is also rarely about libido it about generally feeling unwell ,and appears to account for 60% of health spending in the western world .

Good thread splickers !!

Report Enclosed below .

PD

-----------------

Late-onset hypogonadism in men is real – a dramatic shift in expert opinion.

In February 2013 the city of Melbourne, Australia hosted the 10th International Conference of Andrology which is held every four years. The world’s leading researchers, physicians and clinicians from the fields of urology, endocrinology, andrology and reproductive medicine emphasized time and time again that low testosterone underpins major illnesses that account for over 60% of health expenditure in the developed world.

In a major shift of policy, the pivotal message was that Late Onset Hypogonadism (LOH) – testosterone levels in middle-aged and older men at the lower end of the “recognized” normal range – is a major predictor and cause of heart disease, stroke, obesity, diabetes, depression, moods changes, memory and sexual health problems.

The evidence is definitive and conclusive that low testosterone in men is associated with many of the underlying health issues faced by those in developed and developing nations.

The harsh reality in patients who are obese, have diabetes, metabolic syndrome and/or cardiovascular disease is that lifestyle change alone, however well intentioned, is not sufficient to reverse these conditions. The testes in men and the ovaries in women do not magically spring back to life once hormone production has declined. Medical study after medical study shows testosterone to have a profound and lasting effect on reducing body fat, increasing lean muscle mass, increasing blood flow to the heart, brain and periphery, improving sexual function, improving mood and quality of life.

The challenge is now for mainstream medicine to endorse the use of testosterone for its therapeutic effect rather than, as has traditionally been the case, to prescribe testosterone to address a primary or secondary deficiency due to physical assault on the testes or dysfunction of hormone regulators in the brain.

"

+1 excellent thread Lickety

all over the place

"Only a slight tangent I wonder what the effect of oestrogens are having on testosterone levels in men?"

Its been known for a long time that oestrigens in the water supplies have increased due to both female contraception and increased production of plastics and by products being flushed into rivers ..for over 10 years now they have been monitoring sea life which are turning hermaphrodite due to oestrigens effecting the male ,we even have oestrigens found in rainfall now.

The effect of low free active testosterone along with over supply of oestrigens in males brings the onset of obesity,male breasts ,and of aching joints,loss of memory ,depression and a feeling of low self esteam bringing on other potential psychosis. The world organisation of Endocrinologists now recommend any male tested with a FAI of 14ppm or lower is suffering from Andrpause and should be treated,as its must cheaper than the long term illnesses which result .

"The reason testosterone isn't given is that prostate cancer risks significantly increase with age in men, indeed many of the treatments for prostrate cancer specifically block the effects of testosterone

There world need to be good enough evidence that any benefits outweighed this potential risk before supplementation would be available on the NHS and this evidence isn't there at this time "

Thats so true in most instances oestrogen is actually given to men with prostrate cancer to inhibit its growth in the early stages of treatment.

"The reason testosterone isn't given is that prostate cancer risks significantly increase with age in men, indeed many of the treatments for prostrate cancer specifically block the effects of testosterone

There world need to be good enough evidence that any benefits outweighed this potential risk before supplementation would be available on the NHS and this evidence isn't there at this time

Thats so true in most instances oestrogen is actually given to men with prostrate cancer to inhibit its growth in the early stages of treatment. "

I understand the point about prostate cancer, but that affects about 16% of the male population. Why do the other 84% have to potentially live without a sex life as a result? You may live longer but will it be an existence rather than a life?

By *uited staffs guyMan  over a year ago

staffordshire

Thats so true in most instances oestrogen is actually given to men with prostrate cancer to inhibit its growth in the early stages of treatment.

I understand the point about prostate cancer, but that affects about 16% of the male population. Why do the other 84% have to potentially live without a sex life as a result? You may live longer but will it be an existence rather than a life? "

It affects that many without testosterone supplements, no-one knows what the incidence would be with it

And we all know if supplementation became widespread the first person to get prostrate cancer would be straight to the lawyers

Hence why the benefits of it need to be clearly better than any risk, and as yet the evidence just isn't there

Many people who make the choice to accept that risk source it from the Internet for that reason

I understand the point about prostate cancer, but that affects about 16% of the male population. Why do the other 84% have to potentially live without a sex life as a result? You may live longer but will it be an existence rather than a life?

It affects that many without testosterone supplements, no-one knows what the incidence would be with it

And we all know if supplementation became widespread the first person to get prostrate cancer would be straight to the lawyers

Hence why the benefits of it need to be clearly better than any risk, and as yet the evidence just isn't there

Many people who make the choice to accept that risk source it from the Internet for that reason "

As an example of statistical care under the NHS, I personally found that taking Simvastatin gave me ED, no-libido, joint pain, depression and muscle breakdown that caused liver problems that could have led to death. When I discussed this with my doctor (after I stopped taking them on my own and started to recover) he said if they give it to everyone then "1 in 70 people will avoid heart disease. "Statins do not work for some people." Nice!

I would only ever suggest that the testosterone levels should be increased to what is appropriate for the man concerned. If that man has gone for, say, 60 years with one level of T then why will maintaining that level as it naturally declines produce a prostate cancer threat? I still think that statistics are the NHS route map and ED and no sex-life is not considered an important statistic.

all over the place

I understand the point about prostate cancer, but that affects about 16% of the male population. Why do the other 84% have to potentially live without a sex life as a result? You may live longer but will it be an existence rather than a life? "

I totaly agree with you ,however the higher risk of prostrate cancer has not been born out since Dr Malcom Caruthers who first identified and started Treating Andropause over 18 years ago ,

In a test of 90 men on TRT only 3.3% went on to develop any symptoms of prostrate malformity far less than the General population which sits at 16% of men.In fact the low androgen level actually masks potential Cancerous growths ,leaving men with low TT levels at further risk .

It is win win for guys who are feeling dreadful because of low free active Testosterone levels and have no idea why.

IMHO Its time the treatment was totally funded and rolled out for all men who need it,no wonder we do not live as long .

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

thought i would bump this thread as it is an interesting subject and also the doctor today suggested the wife go on HRT, we are not sure which route to take with this news so searched forums and found this

My dad was put on a testosterone replacement gel and ended up with a very aggressive form of prostate cancer. The cancer can't grow without testosterone, at least the form he has can't. It should be available to men but these risk should be evaluated carefully and also addressed by health care research into ways to boost the decline in natural hormone production safely in those who need it, whichever gender.

By *lovisMan  over a year ago

Twickenham

I've just picked up my prescription for my first testosterone injection. Went to GP last year and he sent me for blood tests. Had to have blood tests first thing in the morning when testosterone levels are at their highest and they came out at 5.4 which is very low - I think the original range was quotes as 7.4 to 28.5. Doctor says she'd like to see it at about 12. Have to have further test 6 weeks after the first jab and then top ups every 12 weeks. So treatment is available.

"thought i would bump this thread as it is an interesting subject and also the doctor today suggested the wife go on HRT, we are not sure which route to take with this news so searched forums and found this"

It works for some and not for others. It does depend what sort of results you are looking for.

HRT made my lupus flare so I went without. Have you tried Agnus Castus? You can get it in health food stores.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

"thought i would bump this thread as it is an interesting subject and also the doctor today suggested the wife go on HRT, we are not sure which route to take with this news so searched forums and found this

It works for some and not for others. It does depend what sort of results you are looking for.

HRT made my lupus flare so I went without. Have you tried Agnus Castus? You can get it in health food stores.

"

after googling Angus Castus, its not the right thing for her symptoms.

she had hysterectomy in 1999 and one overy was left in, doctor thinks it has stopped functioning which is leaving her with a very low libido, Angus Castus is a sexual repressant and became known as the chasterberry in ancient times, it was also given to monks to surpress their sexual urges and we dont need anymore sexual repressant here lol

» Add a new message to this topic