FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Antiques

Antiques

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *riendlyfunfem OP   Woman  over a year ago

A world of my own

Just been watching Antiques Roadshow, love it when someone is told that something thats been in a cupboard for 20 years cos they didn't like it is worth £10,000! Or a pice of pottery they picked up in a charity shop for 50p is worth £500!

What would you do if you found out something of yur was worth a fortune? In all honesty if it was something that had been in my family for years and years then I wouldn't part with it, but if it was something I had picked up recently then I'd be putting it for sale pronto!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I am sure there are some valuable antiques lurking about at my mum's. If they are not to my taste, then I would not hesitate to sell them and put the money into better use, like building my dream home!

Afterall, there isn't a next generation to pass them onto, so they might as well be sold and benefit the living!

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

I used to think that

But tbh now look that what will hapen to it when anything happens to me.

My niece and nephew will sell and enjoy the proceeds, so why not me lol

By *ebzStarWoman  over a year ago

Notting

Its funny what families hold onto!!

My mate was clearing out her house after her mum died, her father had died several years before.

She has halved the house weight at least by now just getting rid of crap and ugly furniture etc. and you know wha t- NONE of it was worth anything!!! LOL

It was car boot sales all the way.

I have nothing of value from family memeber - well nothing of value on surface value - what i do have is more valuable thru memories rather than cost.

IF something of THAT value came about that is was worth something in cost - i cant honestly say if i would sell it or not- cos the monatary value would be tempting, but the sentimental value would tug at the heart strings.

BUT at the end of the day - its all materialistic and we cant take it with us.....so sellit and live life to the full.

I shall try and see if my mum will let me sell some of the stuff and keep the money towards my next house!

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

i have three steiff bears, worth a bloody fortune, been in my family a while now so nooooooooooo i wouldnt sell em

My poor mum is holding on to her watch that she has planned to give to my sister.

However, it is unlikely she'll ever see that snotty cow again.

Its style is not to my taste, too delicate for my chubby wrist, so I may as well sell it for her, as it should fetch good money, being a very well known brand with birth certificate and all that.

I don't see the point in holding on to something valuable unless it is loved.

"i have three steiff bears, worth a bloody fortune, been in my family a while now so nooooooooooo i wouldnt sell em "

Just bought my little boy one of them. It has a label in it's ear saying, 'Mt first Steiff Bear' - I didn't realise they got so collectable. He got another one for Christmas exactly the same as the one I got him and it's still in it's box/carton... where it shall remain for, say, 50 years lol

My son was given an antique picture of horatio nelson painted on ivory by some bloke when he was born by his great grandmother. I thought then it was quaint but not my thing so it went in a cupboard, about 6 years ago an antiques value roadshow came to barnstaple and i was amazed to find that it was worth over £3K so i took it home put it on the wall,as i felt that was the safest place for it only to come home from work one day to find it smashed, my son had been playing catch ball with his father and had hit it!!!!! Sothebys in edinburgh have it now trying to repair it, and as for footballs - banned in my house

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

If it was something i inherited i wouldnt sell it, but if i had bought it i would. Ive got some lovely silver snuff boxes at my mothers and other stuff but im not saying what otherwise kitty will be round to rob me

By *irtydanMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

"My poor mum is holding on to her watch that she has planned to give to my sister.

However, it is unlikely she'll ever see that snotty cow again.

Its style is not to my taste, too delicate for my chubby wrist, so I may as well sell it for her, as it should fetch good money, being a very well known brand with birth certificate and all that.

I don't see the point in holding on to something valuable unless it is loved. "

i love a nice watch

I thought this thread was gonna be about us "slightly older" members of this site

» Add a new message to this topic