FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Riding a bike

Riding a bike

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Can you ride a bike?

How old were you when you learned how?

And...

Why are bike seats sooooo frickin uncomfy??!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I never even get to ride the local bike aaaarrrr

By *aravancoupleMan  over a year ago

A Secret Hideaway In the caravan of love

"I never even get to ride the local bike aaaarrrr"

By *ENDAROOSCouple  over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

"Can you ride a bike?

And...

Why are bike seats sooooo frickin uncomfy??!"

I can but not very well. I am a danger on anything other than my feet.

I have trouble with an exercise bike lol

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"Can you ride a bike?

And...

I love going mountain biking on my bike, don't remember how old i was when i learned?

And yes, saddle soreness is a pain in the ass, literally, lol.

yes i can about 6 i think

been riding for 4 years now

wish i did it sooner

if i had never learned to ride a bike, i wouldnt have a big scar on my shin now.

last bike i had came with an inflatable saddle (i mean the seat part, the saddle bit was a real saddle lol).

was SWEEEEEEEETTT!!!!! lol

Used to ride to work at a hotel in my uniform, stockings and suspenders.

Now that was often amusing, especially when the back of my skirt got caught up on the seat when I stopped at traffic lights. T

XXX

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

love cycling ..out on my bike every day for at least a couple of hours. try cycling shorts if your ass is hurting. They can vary a lot in price but they do do the job !

Would have been first school for me would often stand up while riding to give my ass a rest

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

"

And...

If you've got a big arse, you need a big seat.

It's the first mod I did to my bike, even did it before it left the shop

"I have trouble with an exercise bike lol "

Exercise bikes are made for hanging clothes on.

"

And...

Why are bike seats sooooo frickin uncomfy??!

If you've got a big arse, you need a big seat.

It's the first mod I did to my bike, even did it before it left the shop "

Oh crikey how big do they make seats?! I need a bench.

[Removed by poster at 19/09/13 19:22:31]

About 4 or 5 with a real bike (not a trike). I rode till I could drive then stopped until two years ago when I started again as a way to lose weight and get fit. Six stone lighter as a result and still going - and I headed off some nasty illnesses as a result. I also gave up smoking a a result!

I'm on the bike most days now, a quick ride at lunchtime of about 10 miles and 20 to 40 mile rides on the weekends when I can.

I love it. It centres me and is a happy place for me when I'm out on a ride

"Can you ride a bike?

And...

Yes and about 5. Seats you can get replacement seats or gel covers for it to make it more comfortable.

I have to laugh on the way in to work in the morning when I pass some guy riding along dressed like "spiderman" just to ride 5 miles to work, what's all that about? R

XX

I do the odd little bit of cycling...

Not sure when I learnt but was only 3 or 4 months old when I went to my first race. I can't remember not ever being able to ride a bike, they've been there my whole life.

"I have to laugh on the way in to work in the morning when I pass some guy riding along dressed like "spiderman" just to ride 5 miles to work, what's all that about? R

XX"

How do you know he only rides 5 miles? How do you know he doesn't do a far longer ride on the way home.

But ultimately proper cycling kit is much more comfortable to ride in that casual clothes.

By *izz37Couple  over a year ago

stoke on trent

I can ride a bike-about 4 years now and its the best sort,one with an engine!!although only 500cc,need more! Lol!! L

Cycling is THE form of transport in my eyes. Had a bike since my Raleigh Boxer but yeah, saddles. I've not found my perfect one yet and I don't like the groin numbing that comes with long distance rides.

"I have to laugh on the way in to work in the morning when I pass some guy riding along dressed like "spiderman" just to ride 5 miles to work, what's all that about? R

XX

How do you know he only rides 5 miles? How do you know he doesn't do a far longer ride on the way home.

But ultimately proper cycling kit is much more comfortable to ride in that casual clothes. "

Because he works the same place as me!

One sock pulled over your trouser bottom was good enough and comfy enough for me and seemingly so for the old guy I pass cycling the same route.

I started riding young...really young.

When I was 12 my dad bought me a motocross bike. He used to have to lift me onto it, I used to fall sideways without help.

It was a Green Kawasaki KX 125.

Site rules say you gotta be over 18 in pics ..but I'd love to upload the pics if I could I would.

The bike was bigger than me.

Used to go like hell.

I was shit hot with bikes and go karts

By *ikerbob1957Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I don't have a problem with the saddle on my bike

I really want to get a motorbike in the next year

"I really want to get a motorbike in the next year"

I'd never get a road bike.

#splattered

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

About 4 i think,although i do remember my Dad selling my prized Tomahawk bike 'cos it was too big for me

Had bikes all my life, commute to work on a singlespeed and ride MTB's and my road bikes midweek and at weekends.

I'm doing the Manchester to Blackpool night ride next week, then riding back home from Blackpool. Should be a good mornings ride of between 115 - 130 miles depending on the route we take home.

Saddles are a personal thing but i would say try SDG Bel-Air saddles.

I think must have been very young when I learnt to ride a bike as I can't remember exactly,I do remember my very first proper grown up brand new bike though

Im a fair weather cyclist,been out loads on it through the summer,the saddle is fine ill never wear short shorts again on it though

"I really want to get a motorbike in the next year

#splattered"

There's that risk with cycling too. Many a motorist think they own the highways.

rochdale

#splattered

There's that risk with cycling too. Many a motorist think they own the highways."

Doesn't stop me from getting out though, its my road too.

#splattered

There's that risk with cycling too. Many a motorist think they own the highways.

Doesn't stop me from getting out though, its my road too."

Too right. We gotta stand our ground. I was riding up in Hillfields in Cov last week and the Golf GTI, blacked-out windows, behind me couldn't get past me for all of 10 seconds and when he did his mate leaned out and shouted "get on the pavement!" !?!lol!?!

"About 4 i think,although i do remember my Dad selling my prized Tomahawk bike 'cos it was too big for me

Had bikes all my life, commute to work on a singlespeed and ride MTB's and my road bikes midweek and at weekends.

I'm doing the Manchester to Blackpool night ride next week, then riding back home from Blackpool. Should be a good mornings ride of between 115 - 130 miles depending on the route we take home.

Saddles are a personal thing but i would say try SDG Bel-Air saddles."

How long did it take you to get to the stage of being able to do those sorts of distances?

rochdale

"About 4 i think,although i do remember my Dad selling my prized Tomahawk bike 'cos it was too big for me

How long did it take you to get to the stage of being able to do those sorts of distances?"

Er, i've no idea! I've been cycling to work and back for years, been MTB'ing for 15yrs or so and bought a flat-barred road bike (Boardman Sports Hybrid) three yrs ago. Did the Coast to Coast in a day on that bike and i bought my carbon road bike two months ago. I just get out and ride and to be honest, i find it much easier to ride 30 miles on the road than off road so maybe the MTB has prepped me well?

I'm not particularly fit by road club standards, my last ride with my friend we averaged 18mph over a 35 mile route with a 1300ft ascent thrown into that.

Having said that, i was blown at the end of that because we were doing a fair old speed through the Calder Valley after the big climb.

"Can you ride a bike?

And...

I can ride a bike, cant remember what age i learnt to and yup...they are bloody uncomfortable

How long did it take you to get to the stage of being able to do those sorts of distances?

Er, i've no idea! I've been cycling to work and back for years, been MTB'ing for 15yrs or so and bought a flat-barred road bike (Boardman Sports Hybrid) three yrs ago. Did the Coast to Coast in a day on that bike and i bought my carbon road bike two months ago. I just get out and ride and to be honest, i find it much easier to ride 30 miles on the road than off road so maybe the MTB has prepped me well?

I'm not particularly fit by road club standards, my last ride with my friend we averaged 18mph over a 35 mile route with a 1300ft ascent thrown into that.

Having said that, i was blown at the end of that because we were doing a fair old speed through the Calder Valley after the big climb."

"Not particularly fit" - with those miles and speeds? I'd happily be that fit right now!

A background of mountain biking does give a massive boost to road riding, particularly trength and stamina at the slight cost of speed as mountain biking tends to be at a lower cadence.

To answser the question of how long to ride a century ride, I think someone with a decent level of fitness but new to cycling could do it in 6 months, but it is a how long is a piece of string question.

Yes I was very young and my brother learnt me to ride his because I wasn't allowed one till I was older .

rochdale

Maybe i'm fitter than some but by proper roadie standards i'm pretty slow, i tend to sit and spin up climbs rather than stand and gurn!

Bit of a wimp as well, fitted an 11-28 cassette to the new bike as the idea of the 12-25 cassette and Pennine climbs didn't sit too well.

It took me about 26 minutes last week to climb Cragg Vale last week, I'll be interested to see how fast the pro's go up that on the Tour Grand Depart next year

I really need to look at upping my game!

I'm hampered by my size (I'm currently 19 stone) and I do have an old steel framed bike built in the 90's - its great for building legs that could kick down houses, but its a bitch on hills. I've just started to get out of the saddle and work it in the higher gears but Id be shit out of luck doing that on a serious climb. I think I need to take bike into the Derbyshire Hills next summer!

Yep, about 4 years old. Cycled most days since.

re pedalling out of the saddle, the pro teams reckon it is some 12% less efficient than sitting down and pedalling. It's your energy your call.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I was really young and always had hand me down bikes, remember getting my first brand new adult bike I was about nine. Haven't been on one for over 30 years now

I started when I was about 3, got my first road bike when I was 7. I got knocked off that a year later on stanlow roundabout.

Had a few hand me down frames a mercian, Harry Quinn and a Reg Harris frame.

As for the Saddles, get a brooks leather saddle. You will be sore for a while as it moulds to your body, but once broke in it is the most comfortable saddle you will ever need.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Yes and yes.

About 7 and around 12

rochdale

Its good to see so many people actually riding bikes

You don't have to be a full-on roadie in replica Team SKY kit and riding a £6000 bike to enjoy it.

Whether you like road/mtb/canal pootling there is a bike type out there for all needs, just make sure you buy something half decent.

I say this because most people blanche when they see the price of bikes but if you buy something cheap (£150) from Halfords it will be heavy, clunky, and pretty horrible to ride and far more likely to be shoved into the shed and never used again.

Yes, bikes can be expensive but if you shop around you can pick up a 2nd hand bargain for a good price.

Don't get obsessed with suspension, if you are on a limited budget then suspension at the lower end of the market is often heavy and ineffectual - to give you an idea, decent suspension forks now start around £500!

I would also STRONGLY suggest padded shorts/undershorts and gloves as they are the contact points with the bike

I love riding a bike, bit hard on the old arse but still its great down the country lanes... not sure on my age, reckon I was between 3n5

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Arrrr that kind of bike. Shuffles back to the door hoping no 1 noticed me

"Arrrr that kind of bike. Shuffles back to the door hoping no 1 noticed me "

Hey I'm hearing you on the superbike... defo my bike of choice

Manchester

"Arrrr that kind of bike. Shuffles back to the door hoping no 1 noticed me

Hey I'm hearing you on the superbike... defo my bike of choice "

much easyer on the legs and well still pretty ruff on the poor old arse but if you ever fancy a rip somewhere then it would of course be my gentlemanly dutie to cover it in baby oil and turn that pain into pure pleasure.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

"Its good to see so many people actually riding bikes

You don't have to be a full-on roadie in replica Team SKY kit and riding a £6000 bike to enjoy it.

Whether you like road/mtb/canal pootling there is a bike type out there for all needs, just make sure you buy something half decent.

I say this because most people blanche when they see the price of bikes but if you buy something cheap (£150) from Halfords it will be heavy, clunky, and pretty horrible to ride and far more likely to be shoved into the shed and never used again.

Yes, bikes can be expensive but if you shop around you can pick up a 2nd hand bargain for a good price.

Don't get obsessed with suspension, if you are on a limited budget then suspension at the lower end of the market is often heavy and ineffectual - to give you an idea, decent suspension forks now start around £500!

I would also STRONGLY suggest padded shorts/undershorts and gloves as they are the contact points with the bike "

most companies have a 'cycle to work scheme' where you can buy a decent bike, up to £1000 tax free and pay for it in instalments... I really believe it is false economy buying a cheap crap bike that is not a pleasure to ride as the likelihood is it will end up in the shed propping something up rather than on the road

much easyer on the legs and well still pretty ruff on the poor old arse but if you ever fancy a rip somewhere then it would of course be my gentlemanly dutie to cover it in baby oil and turn that pain into pure pleasure. "

Totally agree, hard on the arse when on the zx.. in fact, it was hell.. baby oil much welcome

I love it !!! I taught myself on a neighbours bike when I was about 7 ... I never had one when I was a child

My brother did though .... Shocking !!!

Ours cost 50 quid second hand. I couldn't afford anything more, but we'll not be going far. Ours are more for playing out on and maybe mini bike rides up town. I'm hoping they will still be fun though.

Manchester

much easyer on the legs and well still pretty ruff on the poor old arse but if you ever fancy a rip somewhere then it would of course be my gentlemanly dutie to cover it in baby oil and turn that pain into pure pleasure.

Totally agree, hard on the arse when on the zx.. in fact, it was hell.. baby oil much welcome "

didn't no you was into them I demand to know why Hmmmm lol.

your zx an whitch 1. Think you know I was only meaning it or should I say any fecking time you like

Manchester

Not sure if I can do this or not on here so if im breaking somthing humble apologies to admin.

if there's any1 local ish to me can use a mans mountain bike iv 1 in my in garage an its in my way. Its nothing specail an need a good oiling an clean but its totaly free to a good home just want it out of my way. If any1s interested 1st to ask gets it an again for freeeeee

Totally agree, hard on the arse when on the zx.. in fact, it was hell.. baby oil much welcome

didn't no you was into them I demand to know why Hmmmm lol.

your zx an whitch 1. Think you know I was only meaning it or should I say any fecking time you like "

ZX10r... fast as f... and loved it. Not nice on the old botty thou!

Manchester

"

ZX10r... fast as f... and loved it. Not nice on the old botty thou! "

so it was yours you have a licence have you any idea what a rare bread a real female biker is in manchester. You know you said your moving back fancy getting married. I no im just a hopeless romantic I can't help myself

By *heekychappy1121Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Love all things two wheels. Bike or motorbikes. Been riding since i was 3

I was 11 when I learnt to ride a bike and as I lived in the country and on a farm there was lots of quiet places to go.

We then moved and I forgot about the bike and never rode one again until I was 50 when I brought one for Christmas again it rode for a while, now its gathering dust in the shed........

Yes I agree about the seat and we had a gel seat put on and it still hurts like hell

"I was 11 when I learnt to ride a bike and as I lived in the country and on a farm there was lots of quiet places to go.

We then moved and I forgot about the bike and never rode one again until I was 50 when I brought one for Christmas again it rode for a while, now its gathering dust in the shed........

Yes I agree about the seat and we had a gel seat put on and it still hurts like hell "

Sorry that should say " when I was brought one for Christmas"

There are men and womens seats.... womens seats are wider....

Riden a bike as long as I can remember. ?..

Owned my first bike at 35 ( im 38 now ) and just did the london 52 mile ride for charity last sunday and it was fun !

rochdale

Those wide saddles and gel covers are misleading IMHO. A saddle that is too wide will chafe and make riding a real misery - i know this from personal experience!

Get a proper saddle fitting if you can afford one as its based on your ischial tuberosities - your sit bones in effect, and the width between them.

And use padded shorts!! Don't ride in jeans etc!

» Add a new message to this topic