FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Firefighters Strike

Firefighters Strike

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Well it looks like it's now gonna happen with a 4 hour strike next wed, more to come no doubt

What's people's views on here ? Try and keep it clean

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

100% support.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

blimey .... admin had better increase the server capacity if ALL the "firemen" will be on strike and on here at the same time

I can see the FBU's point, however I wonder if strikes really work in this day and age and whether it will get them what they want.

"blimey .... admin had better increase the server capacity if ALL the "firemen" will be on strike and on here at the same time "

no firemen to put the fires out, but plenty of taxis around......

if its about the cuts that are hitting the fire service, then unfortunately, there is little sympathy here. cuts are hitting everyone.

if its for terms and conditions (higher wages) then definitely not.

that said, i pay my council tax for policing and fire service (its in the breakdown of what you pay).

i have not used the police or fire service for years and years, so would i be right in not paying it as im not using it?

you get paid for being at work, whether you are busy or not, you can sleep while you are not working.

many that work actually have to work for the length of their shift. think you have it pretty good really, dont you?

Not sure I would be eager to go into a burning building to see if anyone was trapped in there.

Dont care how many hours I could sit around beforehand.

"blimey .... admin had better increase the server capacity if ALL the "firemen" will be on strike and on here at the same time

if its about the cuts that are hitting the fire service, then unfortunately, there is little sympathy here. cuts are hitting everyone.

that said, i pay my council tax for policing and fire service (its in the breakdown of what you pay).

i have not used the police or fire service for years and years, so would i be right in not paying it as im not using it?

you get paid for being at work, whether you are busy or not, you can sleep while you are not working.

many that work actually have to work for the length of their shift. think you have it pretty good really, dont you?"

You seem to be misinformed we don't get to sleep until all tasks are finished we have to do community fire safety visits risk assess new premises issue fire safety licenses and in between we attend emergencies as and when required

A rest between shout keeps us alert and ready if you had to do this job for 15hours nights or 9 hours on a day continuous work I don't think you would last a shift the strike is over pensions they want us to pay more take less and work longer

By *utty_JiggleCouple  over a year ago

Black Country

"blimey .... admin had better increase the server capacity if ALL the "firemen" will be on strike and on here at the same time

many that work actually have to work for the length of their shift. think you have it pretty good really, dont you?

You seem to be misinformed we don't get to sleep until all tasks are finished we have to do community fire safety visits risk assess new premises issue fire safety licenses and in between we attend emergencies as and when required

A rest between shout keeps us alert and ready if you had to do this job for 15hours nights or 9 hours on a day continuous work I don't think you would last a shift the strike is over pensions they want us to pay more take less and work longer "

Nice to see people still standing up for what they believe in

Nutty

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

many that work actually have to work for the length of their shift. think you have it pretty good really, dont you?"

might be an idea to find out what they are striking about before commenting ... they have my 100% support

A rest between shout keeps us alert and ready if you had to do this job for 15hours nights or 9 hours on a day continuous work I don't think you would last a shift the strike is over pensions they want us to pay more take less and work longer "

so, you are striking over what everyone has already got to deal with.

good luck, but as said, i have no sympathy

This, the people that make the decisions for cuts already know they can't afford to cut back on utilities costs for the fire services, so yeah, lets make the cost a bit more personal instead.

They'll have the whole country eating shit before they give up their own rights.

who is providing cover

"100% support. "

+1

Billy (ex firefighter)

"100% support. "

They have my 100% support and all I ask is those that are being negative, go find out the actual reasons they are striking. I hope they never have need of the fire service but as someone who has through arson, I know those guys deserve all they get and more, not cuts after cuts.

Rang the fire brigade the other day, there was a cat stuck up my tree!

Sorry this is emergencies only...

Oh ok well it is on effing fire

All our services do a cracking job, as far as I'm concerned we deserve every penny we get and then some..... X

By *icoupleforfunz27Couple  over a year ago

liverpool

"Well it looks like it's now gonna happen with a 4 hour strike next wed, more to come no doubt

What's people's views on here ? Try and keep it clean "

I have full support for our unsung heros, that risk life for not a great deal of money,

Yes some will say that's what the get paid for, but would you risk dying for that little pay??

The only thing I wish is there was away round strikes, because like it or not, it could cost lives.

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

I can only go on what I have been told by someone who works in fire service.

A significant number of firemen have two jobs. Painting and decorating seems to be a favourite.

The pension scheme is extremely generous.

If they hate it that much they can look for alternative employment.

0% Sympathy.

"They have my 100% support and all I ask is those that are being negative, go find out the actual reasons they are striking. I hope they never have need of the fire service but as someone who has through arson, I know those guys deserve all they get and more, not cuts after cuts."

so on that basis, you also use warehouse staff, shop keepers, bar staff, police, fuel station attendants, farmers, truckers, factory workers nd so on and so on, all more often than you have used the fire service, so why do firemen get excluded from cuts when everyone else has had pay freezes/pension cuts (if they have one at all) job losses and so on and so forth....

cuts have to be made.

the pensions thing has happened to other civil servants, so why not the fire service?

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"They have my 100% support and all I ask is those that are being negative, go find out the actual reasons they are striking. "

I have every respect for firefighters and the job that they do.

I dont know anything about the actual reasons why they are striking other than what the OP says -'the strike is over pensions they want us to pay more take less and work longer'.

If that is the case then whilst I wish them all the best I think it might be a challenge for them to get overwhelming public support when many people are in exactly the same position.

But as I said, I wish them all the best.

"They have my 100% support and all I ask is those that are being negative, go find out the actual reasons they are striking.

I have every respect for firefighters and the job that they do.

I dont know anything about the actual reasons why they are striking other than what the OP says -'the strike is over pensions they want us to pay more take less and work longer'.

If that is the case then whilst I wish them all the best I think it might be a challenge for them to get overwhelming public support when many people are in exactly the same position.

But as I said, I wish them all the best. "

liverpool

I also have not seen the reasons for the strike, but let's face it there is very little jobs out there were your job is to risk your life.

Yes we have the armed forces, and they have my ultimate respect.

And yes you risk your life doing any job, as things go wrong, but firefighters go into burning buildings, don't care what protection they have, there lifesavers.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

"blimey .... admin had better increase the server capacity if ALL the "firemen" will be on strike and on here at the same time "

well my post was tongue in cheek re all the people on here who " SAY" they are firemen, (nearly every other single male lol)

so now i have cleared that one up, i'm keeping out of this thread before it gets really heated lol

and for that reason.... i'm out

Start a night shift at 6, HFS,training,risk inspections etc. done by 8.30-9pm, hour or so in the gym or catching up on NVQ work. Then bed at 11.30! Not too bad a life i think, yes you do get turned out,yes it can be the hardest, shittiest job at times but thats the exeption,not the rule. Day shifts can be a little busier but ordiniraly not too bad ! Dont really hear of too many firefighters leaving because they dont like it.

And before the OP tries to shoot me down, yes i do know what im talking about, ive done 20 years.The pensions, capability issue is valid but show me someone in the private sector whos pension isnt under threat. FBU still trying to score points after the last embarrassing debacle!

By *ove bi guysWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

My understanding from watching the news is that the main reason for the strike is the gov wanting to increase retirement age.

A firemans job is so much more demanding than most other jobs. Their health & fitness is paramount. By increasing retirement age you are either going to have older possibly less fit people fighting fires or have firemen sacked / let go through capability.

100% support

Striking isn't the way to go if everyone did it things would collapse. If you don't like your job move to another its what most people should do if they are unhappy.

"

The strike is over pensions they want us to pay more take less and work longer "

So you should.

"My understanding from watching the news is that the main reason for the strike is the gov wanting to increase retirement age.

A firemans job is so much more demanding than most other jobs. Their health & fitness is paramount. By increasing retirement age you are either going to have older possibly less fit people fighting fires or have firemen sacked / let go through capability.

100% support"

+1

Would be hard to strike where I am on RDS as the next nearest station is 55 mins away. Def harder to strike in a small community when your part of it ... Stuck between a rock and a hard place

"Start a night shift at 6, HFS,training,risk inspections etc. done by 8.30-9pm, hour or so in the gym or catching up on NVQ work. Then bed at 11.30! Not too bad a life i think, yes you do get turned out,yes it can be the hardest, shittiest job at times but thats the exeption,not the rule. Day shifts can be a little busier but ordiniraly not too bad ! Dont really hear of too many firefighters leaving because they dont like it.

And before the OP tries to shoot me down, yes i do know what im talking about, ive done 20 years.The pensions, capability issue is valid but show me someone in the private sector whos pension isnt under threat. FBU still trying to score points after the last embarrassing debacle!"

When you apply for a job, you know the wages, hours and conditions,

To become a firefighter takes a special kind of person, intelligent, strong and spirited, so he/ she would realise its a choice, and also know hours and conditions, so stop moaning, keep your head down and do what you trained and signed up for.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"When you apply for a job, you know the wages, hours and conditions, "
...... and if the conditions change ?

" To become a firefighter takes a special kind of person, intelligent, strong and spirited, so he/ she would realise its a choice, and also know hours and conditions, so stop moaning, keep your head down and do what you trained and signed up for."

The 'strong' bit is important. Do you really want a 60 year old being tasked to carry a 20 stone invalid out of a burning building?

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"

"

I don't see a problem with that, as long as you are prepared to pay the full cost if you ever do need them.

"My house is on fire can you send the fire brigade"

"Certainly sir, can I take your debit or credit card number.................... sorry sir, that card has been declined, is there another we can try?"

Norwich

"When you apply for a job, you know the wages, hours and conditions,

"

I think that's the reason for the strike.

"When you apply for a job, you know the wages, hours and conditions, ...... and if the conditions change ?

To become a firefighter takes a special kind of person, intelligent, strong and spirited, so he/ she would realise its a choice, and also know hours and conditions, so stop moaning, keep your head down and do what you trained and signed up for.

The 'strong' bit is important. Do you really want a 60 year old being tasked to carry a 20 stone invalid out of a burning building?"

Life changes, nothing stays the same, you can decide if the changes suit you or not, no one makes you stay if your not happy.

its called free will.

at first there were buckets, then hand carts, then horse drawn fire appliances, now modern equipment, so as changes happen, and things grow and develop, conditions will have to change, nothing is set in stone.

Hopefully safety gets better and less risks will need to be taken.

gone are the days where you have a job for life, if people don't adapt and change they will become extinct.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"I can only go on what I have been told by someone who works in fire service.

A significant number of firemen have two jobs. Painting and decorating seems to be a favourite.

0% Sympathy.

"

Why does it matter if they have 2 jobs? People on civvy street can have 2 jobs as well and I know an awful lot of people who moan about their jobs and their conditions etc.

I personally don't seewhat a 4 hour walk out is going to do. I do think strikes have lost their power over the years and are more of a publicity thing now a day's.

0% Sympathy.

Why does it matter if they have 2 jobs? People on civvy street can have 2 jobs as well and I know an awful lot of people who moan about their jobs and their conditions etc.

I personally don't seewhat a 4 hour walk out is going to do. I do think strikes have lost their power over the years and are more of a publicity thing now a day's. "

its called greed,

bigger house, bigger car, bigger TV. more expensive holidays.

and yes I agree a publicity stunt, and gives the unions something to do.

Ie reps get paid to attend meetings, rather than do a days work.

Glasgow

".......

its called greed,

......"

Sounds like the Tory election manifesto.

".......

its called greed,

Sounds like the Tory election manifesto."

and by not voting, we let the tories in to control us.

evesham

0% Sympathy.

I personally don't seewhat a 4 hour walk out is going to do. I do think strikes have lost their power over the years and are more of a publicity thing now a day's.

its called greed,

and yes I agree a publicity stunt, and gives the unions something to do.

Ie reps get paid to attend meetings, rather than do a days work."

Bit greed appears in all walks of life. If someone is prepared to work 2 jobs to achieve a standard of living why is that wrong? Or should they just get themselves in shit loads of debt as long as they only have 1 job?

As long as they remain fit to do their job correctly I see no reason the issue.

As for the pension/retirement age thing I don't know enough to comment other than if Iwas in my dream job (which fir many firefighters it is) and the ggoal posts moved I'd probably be a bit annoyed. Not all firefighters are happy about the strike. My brother in law is one (both full time and retained, so his second job is still in the service lol) and he didn't sound too happy when he got the email. Although rebounded happier when he realised he was on a rest day haha

Glasgow

Many hospital consultants have two or three jobs.

Is that wrong?

"Many hospital consultants have two or three jobs.

Is that wrong?"

there are no wrongs or rights, its about safety, and efficiency,

we need to recharge our batteries and need about 7/8 hours sleep per 24 hour period,

as I said earlier we all have choices to make and our own priorities, but when safety and life and death is involved, it would be wrong to compromise on rest.

Margaret thatcher said she managed on 4 hours sleep a day, and look what a mess she got us into!

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

total support for firemen theres not many occupations where you put your life at risk like that to protect others ..

"Well it looks like it's now gonna happen with a 4 hour strike next wed, more to come no doubt

Out come the green godes's again from being moth balled and who will man them as most squaddies are in Afghanistan

"Would be hard to strike where I am on RDS as the next nearest station is 55 mins away. Def harder to strike in a small community when your part of it ... Stuck between a rock and a hard place "

Am RDS too and have the same dilemma , it's a no win situation for a lot of retained guys.

Glasgow

" ......

Out come the green godes's again from being moth balled and who will man them as most squaddies are in Afghanistan "

You sure about that? Last I looked there were more in Germany than in Afghanistan.

disgusting they are well paid and the job is far less risky than fishing soldier policing yet they dont strike all the time. With 50 applicants for every job it cant be bad now can it. I just wish those who dont like it leave so we can give some of our young a chance. They should look at our soldiers if they want to see real hero role models. All my sons are in Afgan and not one of them complain. We talk about this and all his soldier mates think the fire service is a joke full of risk obsessed wimps who have it easy and just moan about conditions all the time. No respect from us sorry boys and if you strike dont worry my son and his army colleagues will step in no fuss.

[Removed by poster at 18/09/13 14:49:59]

remember they wanted to strike on bonfire night!

Glasgow

" ......No respect from us sorry boys and if you strike dont worry my son and his army colleagues will step in no fuss."

They'll need long hoses if they're in Afghanistan.

haha good one made me laugh

It's funny how many people on here really don't have a clue about what we are sticking for and that's a real shame, I don't care about the increase in contributions or getting less from my pension, what I care about is the age increase !!! 60-65 for an operational firefighter !!! Think of the first 60yr old that comes into your head, would you be happy and feel 100% about them coming to rescue your loved ones from a serious fire where they could be asked to push themselves to their limit to effect a rescue ? This is my issue with it, it's not bloody right in my mind and what they are saying is this....if you can't do it then we will sack you, if you get diagnosed with arthritis and can't do your job which is not down to fitness...again, they will sack you !!! I see a few people have compared us to the armed forces....I have the biggest respect for them but....how many of them on the front line are over 60 ????

How come there only striking for 4 hours?

Can't you do a proper shift?

im almost certain that, when attending a fire, ALL the attending firefighters dont go rushing into the building.

dont some stay outside, manning things and supervising, working pumps and doing the ironing (or something) surely you dont have to be in the first spring of youth to be doing these jobs???

when you are unfit to do the job (whatever age) then your services will be despensed with anyway.

wht a lot of people have a problem with is, not many of us can retire on a good pension at 50, then probably go on to other work.

why not refuse your pension until you are at pensionable age (65) and work in another industry for the intervening 15 years?

yeah, silly idea i know

"It's funny how many people on here really don't have a clue about what we are sticking for and that's a real shame, I don't care about the increase in contributions or getting less from my pension, what I care about is the age increase !!! 60-65 for an operational firefighter !!! Think of the first 60yr old that comes into your head, would you be happy and feel 100% about them coming to rescue your loved ones from a serious fire where they could be asked to push themselves to their limit to effect a rescue ? This is my issue with it, it's not bloody right in my mind and what they are saying is this....if you can't do it then we will sack you, if you get diagnosed with arthritis and can't do your job which is not down to fitness...again, they will sack you !!! I see a few people have compared us to the armed forces....I have the biggest respect for them but....how many of them on the front line are over 60 ???? "

Seriously, whats to stop you resigning at 50 and taking another job until your pension kicks in at a normal age?

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

" ......

Out come the green godes's again from being moth balled and who will man them as most squaddies are in Afghanistan

You sure about that? Last I looked there were more in Germany than in Afghanistan."

They don't send ALL the soldiers abroad at once you know! My local unit have just come back. And we bought some new pumps last time there was a strike so we're not quite having to use bucket chains just yet.

Wonder if the neighbours would laugh if one of the strikers' houses set alight and there striking colleagues refused to attend? I would.

"

I don't see a problem with that, as long as you are prepared to pay the full cost if you ever do need them.

"Certainly sir, can I take your debit or credit card number.................... sorry sir, that card has been declined, is there another we can try?""

happens in other countries.

you have fire policies in your house insurance that pays the bill, i shit you not.

V's friend had a 70 euro bill for the brigade coming out to put his chimney out lol

Glasgow

"It's funny how many people on here really don't have a clue about what we are sticking for and that's a real shame, I don't care about the increase in contributions or getting less from my pension, what I care about is the age increase !!! 60-65 for an operational firefighter !!! Think of the first 60yr old that comes into your head, would you be happy and feel 100% about them coming to rescue your loved ones from a serious fire where they could be asked to push themselves to their limit to effect a rescue ? This is my issue with it, it's not bloody right in my mind and what they are saying is this....if you can't do it then we will sack you, if you get diagnosed with arthritis and can't do your job which is not down to fitness...again, they will sack you !!! I see a few people have compared us to the armed forces....I have the biggest respect for them but....how many of them on the front line are over 60 ????

Seriously, whats to stop you resigning at 50 and taking another job until your pension kicks in at a normal age?

"

Have you tried finding another job at 50?

The current government doesnt want you to work 30-40 years then get a pension, they want several years service then for you to bog off with no pension whatsoever.

Large amounts of people in the private sector are bitter and twisted about public sector pensions.....the very people telling you to leave if if you don't like it, aren't prepared to do the job they think is so cosy ?

I'm not a fireman and I don't think the strike will help at a time when people are struggling.

Coincidentally why do the armed forces get a pension after 22 years ? Probably because itsrrecognised that there are age constraints in such a job. And whilst they do a grand job, not everyone is front line. They may be in Afghanistan but lots will never leave the green zone and will never fire a weapon or face any form of combat, not that I don't value their contribution.

Glasgow

"

"Certainly sir, can I take your debit or credit card number.................... sorry sir, that card has been declined, is there another we can try?"

happens in other countries.

you have fire policies in your house insurance that pays the bill, i shit you not.

V's friend had a 70 euro bill for the brigade coming out to put his chimney out lol"

That was the case in the UK in the past. You paid fire insurance and got a plaque to stick outside your house.

In the event of a fire, an appliance from a few local companies would turn out but if you didn't have the correct plaque, they just went away.

"It's funny how many people on here really don't have a clue about what we are sticking for and that's a real shame, I don't care about the increase in contributions or getting less from my pension, what I care about is the age increase !!! 60-65 for an operational firefighter !!! Think of the first 60yr old that comes into your head, would you be happy and feel 100% about them coming to rescue your loved ones from a serious fire where they could be asked to push themselves to their limit to effect a rescue ? This is my issue with it, it's not bloody right in my mind and what they are saying is this....if you can't do it then we will sack you, if you get diagnosed with arthritis and can't do your job which is not down to fitness...again, they will sack you !!! I see a few people have compared us to the armed forces....I have the biggest respect for them but....how many of them on the front line are over 60 ????

Have you tried finding another job at 50?"

as the majority of firepersons have secondary employement, it shouldnt be THAT dificult

evesham

"disgusting they are well paid and the job is far less risky than fishing soldier policing yet they dont strike all the time. With 50 applicants for every job it cant be bad now can it. I just wish those who dont like it leave so we can give some of our young a chance. They should look at our soldiers if they want to see real hero role models. All my sons are in Afgan and not one of them complain. We talk about this and all his soldier mates think the fire service is a joke full of risk obsessed wimps who have it easy and just moan about conditions all the time. No respect from us sorry boys and if you strike dont worry my son and his army colleagues will step in no fuss."

So you won't be calling them if your house is on fire then?? Your boys soldier friends will sort that out will they??

I'm sorry but dont see the army striking do you we get shit on the same as everyone else but when firefighters go on strike guess who has to fill personally i think anybody who goes on strike is selfish and thinks their issues are more important than their job being a firefighter is a privalige not a right pipe down and get on with your jobs

Glasgow

".......

Have you tried finding another job at 50?

as the majority of firepersons have secondary employement, it shouldnt be THAT dificult"

It's not about ability or willingness, it's lack of availability which restricts them.

Much of the secondary employment

Is/ was painting and decorating or window cleaning - jobs which attract people who are comfy at heights and can be done cash in hand.

With the recession, more people are now doing their own decorating and windows or just not doing it at all.

I know a couple of firemen and I would swap my job anyday.

They are well paid and on their days off they can earn more than I can in a week, plus this is taking work from others.

Then after early retirement decide they want to get a job, which inturn takes someone esles job.

I know it sounds like im having a go at fireman but I'm not. It's the governments fault for handing out too much in the first place and that's all civil service.

"I'm sorry but dont see the army striking do you we get shit on the same as everyone else but when firefighters go on strike guess who has to fill personally i think anybody who goes on strike is selfish and thinks their issues are more important than their job being a firefighter is a privalige not a right pipe down and get on with your jobs"

Armed forces aren't allowed to strike. Us civil servants are though! (Not that it makes any blimmin' difference of course)

"I'm sorry but dont see the army striking do you we get shit on the same as everyone else but when firefighters go on strike guess who has to fill personally i think anybody who goes on strike is selfish and thinks their issues are more important than their job being a firefighter is a privalige not a right pipe down and get on with your jobs"

Another ill informed person....the army are not gonna be the Heros this time

"I'm sorry but dont see the army striking do you we get shit on the same as everyone else but when firefighters go on strike guess who has to fill personally i think anybody who goes on strike is selfish and thinks their issues are more important than their job being a firefighter is a privalige not a right pipe down and get on with your jobs

Another ill informed person....the army are not gonna be the Heros this time"

only cuz, by the time they have pulled heir wellies on, you lot will be back from the chippy.

You lot go on as if youve got the hardest toughest lives in the world if you had a week in my boots you would have strikes on the first day

evesham

"I know a couple of firemen and I would swap my job anyday.

They are well paid and on their days off they can earn more than I can in a week, plus this is taking work from others.

Then after early retirement decide they want to get a job, which inturn takes someone esles job.

I know it sounds like im having a go at fireman but I'm not. It's the governments fault for handing out too much in the first place and that's all civil service. "

It's not taking work off others. If others wanted those jobs they should have gone and got them. The world of employment is every man for themself.

I know a few people who have second jobs, do you have the same attitude towards them?

I know for one that o would not want to go into a burning building or attend fatal RTC's to cut people out of cars etc. I have also witnessed the heartache some people go through when this 'no risk' job kills someone. Remember Atherstone?

evesham

"You lot go on as if youve got the hardest toughest lives in the world if you had a week in my boots you would have strikes on the first day "

That's why we chose joy to go in the army and you did. No matter what people say going in the army these days is a choice.

By *ub bbwWoman  over a year ago

oldbury

Part of the problem is that once they were older and less able to be on front line so to speak they used to get offered desk jobs however due to privatisation these jobs are no longer available. The toll this job takes on their bodies are immense and the emotional drain from not being able to save everyone I have dealt with a few ex firefighters who are unable to work now because of this. They saw it as jobs for life but now that's changed.

"You lot go on as if youve got the hardest toughest lives in the world if you had a week in my boots you would have strikes on the first day "

A large percentage of firefighters are ex service personnel.

I have no idea what regiment you're supposedly in, but for all we know you're catering corp....mind you that's hardest course in army.....no ones ever passed it !

No doubt you will reply Sfsg, para, pathfinder etc to warrant your claim

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

I am not a fireman but have worked with them.

I think a lot of people on here are very short sighted. Emergency personnel sign up for a set number of years. They are paid for not only what they physically do but also what they see and hear. They are expected to stay at work until a job is finished. Unlike most jobs where you just go home at the end of your day. The hours you work, the training you undertake and the things you have to deal with all take a physical and mental toll. This is something you agree to undertake and the government undertake to pay you a fair wage and give you a good pension. The pension contributions for emergency services far outstrip the contributions paid by workers in the private sector. Often with these types of pensions they are based on your final few years earnings or an average of your total earnings. By leaving early it massivly effects what pension payout you receive. Also how would you like it if your job asked you to do something dangerous and then when you get injured they turn round and say that's unlucky oh by the way now you can't do your job we are firing you... Don't think many of you would go fine change my contract I'll just roll over...

No support here I'm afraid they get a bloody amazing wage work relatively easy shifts. People keep saying about risking life very few firepersons have died on active duty. I remember having to cover their strikes with shit kit because they wouldn't let us use theirs. Oh and I was on less than 50% of what their wage at the time and just come back from deployment with my leave cut so I could cover.

Most jobs have a retirement age of 65 so why not them everyone's pensions are being done over. As far as I'm concerned it should be written into law that emergency services should never be able to strike its people's lives they put at risk.

I do respect the job they do I'm just fed up with them spitting the dummy out if they don't like it leave

"I am not a fireman but have worked with them.

I think a lot of people on here are very short sighted. Emergency personnel sign up for a set number of years. They are paid for not only what they physically do but also what they see and hear. They are expected to stay at work until a job is finished. Unlike most jobs where you just go home at the end of your day. The hours you work, the training you undertake and the things you have to deal with all take a physical and mental toll. This is something you agree to undertake and the government undertake to pay you a fair wage and give you a good pension. The pension contributions for emergency services far outstrip the contributions paid by workers in the private sector. Often with these types of pensions they are based on your final few years earnings or an average of your total earnings. By leaving early it massivly effects what pension payout you receive. Also how would you like it if your job asked you to do something dangerous and then when you get injured they turn round and say that's unlucky oh by the way now you can't do your job we are firing you... Don't think many of you would go fine change my contract I'll just roll over..."

HGV drivers can be away from home for weeks on end, sleeping in a wee tin box.

some of the things you see on the road you wouldnt wish on anyone.

have to pay for their own training/licence renewals and so on

yet they dont get great wages OR exorbitant pensions.

"I know a couple of firemen and I would swap my job anyday.

I know it sounds like im having a go at fireman but I'm not. It's the governments fault for handing out too much in the first place and that's all civil service.

It's not taking work off others. If others wanted those jobs they should have gone and got them. The world of employment is every man for themself.

I know a few people who have second jobs, do you have the same attitude towards them?

I know for one that o would not want to go into a burning building or attend fatal RTC's to cut people out of cars etc. I have also witnessed the heartache some people go through when this 'no risk' job kills someone. Remember Atherstone? "

I also know a couple of people who have two jobs but the difference is that they do it to survive, not for greed.

too small?

hole in the sole?

is there a stone in one?

I will be striking Wednesday, but if I'm honest I have mixed emotions, am not really bothered about pensions as my main occupation has had a huge pension payment increase required to be paid for ourselves. I am a retained duty system firefighter( I turn out to incidents from home/ work etc.)and as I'm well aware of others right to their opinion but let me just say that there is no way that I would be wanting to drag a casualty from a going job with a BA set on my back in heat of a 1000 bloody degrees when I'm 60 hence why I will be supporting my fellow FBU members. Yes it's a great job and we are lucky to have it, but unless you've experienced the physical demands and been in conditions when you can literally feel your body boiling over then maybe some of the posters on here will realise that it is not safe for us or for the public for us to be on the front line at 60

Glasgow

" ......maybe some of the posters on here will realise that it is not safe for us or for the public for us to be on the front line at 60"

And nobody with any sense would ask that of you.

"You lot go on as if youve got the hardest toughest lives in the world if you had a week in my boots you would have strikes on the first day

A large percentage of firefighters are ex service personnel.

I have no idea what regiment you're supposedly in, but for all we know you're catering corp....mind you that's hardest course in army.....no ones ever passed it !

No doubt you will reply Sfsg, para, pathfinder etc to warrant your claim "

Haha na mate im just in a normal infantry battalion but end of they day ex service personel will know how shit jobs can actually be and how much we get fucked around but we still just crack on keep our mouth shut and do what we are paid to do

"You lot go on as if youve got the hardest toughest lives in the world if you had a week in my boots you would have strikes on the first day

too small?

hole in the sole?

is there a stone in one?"

Nope thats your 3 strikes your out

too small?

hole in the sole?

is there a stone in one?

Nope thats your 3 strikes your out "

oh darn.... (trudges off, head bowed)

I think a lot of people on here are very short sighted. Emergency personnel sign up for a set number of years. They are paid for not only what they physically do but also what they see and hear. They are expected to stay at work until a job is finished. Unlike most jobs where you just go home at the end of your day. The hours you work, the training you undertake and the things you have to deal with all take a physical and mental toll. This is something you agree to undertake and the government undertake to pay you a fair wage and give you a good pension. The pension contributions for emergency services far outstrip the contributions paid by workers in the private sector. Often with these types of pensions they are based on your final few years earnings or an average of your total earnings. By leaving early it massivly effects what pension payout you receive. Also how would you like it if your job asked you to do something dangerous and then when you get injured they turn round and say that's unlucky oh by the way now you can't do your job we are firing you... Don't think many of you would go fine change my contract I'll just roll over..."

Sorry for picking your post but I felt the need to point out a few tags withbregards to servicemen and women.

I spent 38 years in the RAF and can't remember all the times that my terms of service were changed or pension schemes changed but change they did and I just had to suck it up and get on with it.

The Forces are in their 2nd year of a pay freeze, have just had their pension schemes completely revamped which will have a mahoosive effect on what they recieve and WHEN they recieve it and they just have to get on and suck it up.

The whole country is in the shitter financially, everyone in it is facing financial hardship.

So sympathy zero from me, the Fire Service is a service of volunteers and as someone else pointed out there are plenty queuing up to join so let the greedy barstewards who want their fuckin cake and eat it go

too small?

hole in the sole?

is there a stone in one?

Nope thats your 3 strikes your out

oh darn.... (trudges off, head bowed)"

Ha maybe next time you will pass the test

I think a lot of people on here are very short sighted. Emergency personnel sign up for a set number of years. They are paid for not only what they physically do but also what they see and hear. They are expected to stay at work until a job is finished. Unlike most jobs where you just go home at the end of your day. The hours you work, the training you undertake and the things you have to deal with all take a physical and mental toll. This is something you agree to undertake and the government undertake to pay you a fair wage and give you a good pension. The pension contributions for emergency services far outstrip the contributions paid by workers in the private sector. Often with these types of pensions they are based on your final few years earnings or an average of your total earnings. By leaving early it massivly effects what pension payout you receive. Also how would you like it if your job asked you to do something dangerous and then when you get injured they turn round and say that's unlucky oh by the way now you can't do your job we are firing you... Don't think many of you would go fine change my contract I'll just roll over...

Sorry for picking your post but I felt the need to point out a few tags withbregards to servicemen and women.

I spent 38 years in the RAF and can't remember all the times that my terms of service were changed or pension schemes changed but change they did and I just had to suck it up and get on with it.

The Forces are in their 2nd year of a pay freeze, have just had their pension schemes completely revamped which will have a mahoosive effect on what they recieve and WHEN they recieve it and they just have to get on and suck it up.

The whole country is in the shitter financially, everyone in it is facing financial hardship.

So sympathy zero from me, the Fire Service is a service of volunteers and as someone else pointed out there are plenty queuing up to join so let the greedy barstewards who want their fuckin cake and eat it go "

100% agree

"I'm sorry but dont see the army striking do you we get shit on the same as everyone else but when firefighters go on strike guess who has to fill personally i think anybody who goes on strike is selfish and thinks their issues are more important than their job being a firefighter is a privalige not a right pipe down and get on with your jobs

Armed forces aren't allowed to strike. Us civil servants are though! (Not that it makes any blimmin' difference of course)"

that's not true to a such this happened ages ago in 1914 they called it the Christmas truce Though there was no official truce, roughly 100,000 British and German troops were involved in unofficial cessations of fighting along the length of the Western Front.[8] The first truce started on Christmas Eve, 24 December 1914, when German troops began decorating the area around their trenches in the region of Ypres, Belgium and particularly in Saint-Yvon (called Saint-Yves, in Plugstreet/Ploegsteert - Comines-Warneton), where Capt. Bruce Bairnsfather described the Truce.[9]

The Germans began by placing candles on their trenches and on Christmas trees, then continued the celebration by singing Christmas carols. The British responded by singing carols of their own. The two sides continued by shouting Christmas greetings to each other. Soon thereafter, there were excursions across No Man's Land, where small gifts were exchanged, such as food, tobacco and alcohol, and souvenirs such as buttons and hats. The artillery in the region fell silent. The truce also allowed a breathing spell where recently killed soldiers could be brought back behind their lines by burial parties. Joint services were held. The fraternisation carried risks; some soldiers were shot by opposing forces. In many sectors, the truce lasted through Christmas night, but it continued until New Year's Day in others.[7]

now a days its not heard of as court marshal comes in to place.

100% behind the fire brigade tho

I feel it's starting to get abit heated in here.....sorry, couldn't help myself lol.

well just watch it don't catch fire , they be on strike soon

Armed forces aren't allowed to strike. Us civil servants are though! (Not that it makes any blimmin' difference of course)

that's not true to a such this happened ages ago in 1914 they called it the Christmas truce Though there was no official truce, roughly 100,000 British and German troops were involved in unofficial cessations of fighting along the length of the Western Front.[8] The first truce started on Christmas Eve, 24 December 1914, when German troops began decorating the area around their trenches in the region of Ypres, Belgium and particularly in Saint-Yvon (called Saint-Yves, in Plugstreet/Ploegsteert - Comines-Warneton), where Capt. Bruce Bairnsfather described the Truce.[9]

The Germans began by placing candles on their trenches and on Christmas trees, then continued the celebration by singing Christmas carols. The British responded by singing carols of their own. The two sides continued by shouting Christmas greetings to each other. Soon thereafter, there were excursions across No Man's Land, where small gifts were exchanged, such as food, tobacco and alcohol, and souvenirs such as buttons and hats. The artillery in the region fell silent. The truce also allowed a breathing spell where recently killed soldiers could be brought back behind their lines by burial parties. Joint services were held. The fraternisation carried risks; some soldiers were shot by opposing forces. In many sectors, the truce lasted through Christmas night, but it continued until New Year's Day in others.[7]

100% behind the fire brigade tho "

I don't get what your trying to say ?

Glasgow

100% behind the fire brigade tho

I don't get what your trying to say ?"

Nor I.

Essex.

I'm not just sticking up for the FB. In the papers the other day was a story of a soldier who was made redundant 2 months short of full service. This has cost him and I'm sure many others thousands in lost pension and means he has to wait until 67 to claim it. The armed forces are being fucked about in a big way. What I was trying to say was that people who sit in an office or behind a steering wheel or counter can not compare that with emergency services or armed forces. We all make our choices but when you are seeing mates shot/ blown up or are scrapping a child off the front of a car or saving a badly burnt victim from a smoke filled room you have signed up to run to the stuff that everyone else is running away from, you expect your employers to stick to their side of the deal... Do you rreally want a 60 year old person coming to your rescue...

evesham

100% behind the fire brigade tho "

a truce isn't a strike though is it

I'm sure I can keep them busy while on strike

I do think the public has lost most of its respect for the fire service now. They used to be held in very high esteem now they are just a pain in ass. During the last strike I saw people on the firemen on picket lines asking for people to beep for support. When some people beeped the fireman cheered only to be given two fingers back. Sums public opinion up really. The strike threat on bonfire night was the last nail in their coffin basically let the kids burn. Why not let the customer decide ie the public. This is a supplier providing a service for the public. Id love a vote on this. I think they could sack half of them without any impact on service - look at Merseyside great result.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

the fire service is a pain in the ass? I doubt people being cut out of their cars or rescued from burning houses would hold the same opinion.

My pension terms were altered despite the fact that I went on strike to try and prevent it but they weren't altered as drastically as they would have been.

On the one hand people are criticised for claiming benefits and on the other for trying to maintain their standard of living so they don't have to ......crazy.

evesham

[Removed by poster at 18/09/13 22:51:35]

liverpool

Another ill informed person....the army are not gonna be the Heros this time"

Hi sure you seem above, im one that respects the fire service, and i also don't know much if why you guys are striking.

But what's just concerned me us you said "the army are not going to be the heros this time" I no the strike is only 4 hours but who is going to stand in??

Your going to say something obvious now arnt you.

All I remember, because im young is the green goddesses taking over.

liverpool

"No support here I'm afraid they get a bloody amazing wage work relatively easy shifts. People keep saying about risking life very few firepersons have died on active duty. I remember having to cover their strikes with shit kit because they wouldn't let us use theirs. Oh and I was on less than 50% of what their wage at the time and just come back from deployment with my leave cut so I could cover.

Most jobs have a retirement age of 65 so why not them everyone's pensions are being done over. As far as I'm concerned it should be written into law that emergency services should never be able to strike its people's lives they put at risk.

I do respect the job they do I'm just fed up with them spitting the dummy out if they don't like it leave "

With all the due respect, and i also admire our armed forces, i will not complain if the get heard because I will have quality firemen saving me or my family one day (but hopefully not).

You lot would all be quick to complain if a 65 year old guy, was not fit enough to carry you and you both died in a fire

By *hecat007Woman  over a year ago

Round the corner

I ha worked along side of firemen from time to time ...... Don't fancy anyone of em that iv met cumming to rescue me ...bunch of jokers and big headed twats .... Maybe a more mature 60 year old would do a better job and act more professional too

liverpool

yet they dont get great wages OR exorbitant pensions."

Come on you can hardly comper HHV driver to a fireman,

Oh yes I forgot a HGV driver always go into burning down family homes, and fond dead kids because they was to late, silly me hey

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I ha worked along side of firemen from time to time ...... Don't fancy anyone of em that iv met cumming to rescue me ...bunch of jokers and big headed twats .... Maybe a more mature 60 year old would do a better job and act more professional too "

personally I wouldn't care if it was the very devil himself as long as he got me out of the burning building, I'm not going to be asking for character references.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Ever wish you hadn't read a thread...all I can say is wow.

liverpool

A lot of you keep saying well the older fire fighters don't have to go onto burning buildings do they, they could stay outside.

What does a mum wife get told when your young son/husband is dead because he was always made to go onto the burning building, because he work with to many 60 year olds.

Come on let's wake up a little.

As I have said there should be away round a strike, but to me there worth there weight in gold, and before anyone asks no i don't have family/friends in fire service

By *rtemisiaWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

And if the building you work in caught fire ..? Don't they say there are no atheists in a foxhole ...

Fire fighters..

Ambulance crew..

Air ambulance..

What ever they pay them it isn't enough.

I do think a lot of the planned changes are unfair, and they do need to try and fight it. I'd ask any of those who are slating the fire service to go and put on their uniform and do the job for a day then tell me if you still feel they are a pain in the arse.

About 4 years ago I dated a fireman, went round his the day after his shift (first day of rest) not only was he shattered but he had obviously been awake that night crying, not going to tell you why but it really hit home just how physically and mentally demanding their job is.

Emergency services deserve far more pay and respect than they get.

Glasgow

"

Come on let's wake up a little.

As I have said there should be away round a strike, but to me there worth there weight in gold, and before anyone asks no i don't have family/friends in fire service "

Nor do I but I doubt anyone who reckons firefighters and other 999 responders are slacking about when there's a job needing done has ever actually needed their help, often life saving, in a crisis.

"I do think a lot of the planned changes are unfair, and they do need to try and fight it. I'd ask any of those who are slating the fire service to go and put on their uniform and do the job for a day then tell me if you still feel they are a pain in the arse.

About 4 years ago I dated a fireman, went round his the day after his shift (first day of rest) not only was he shattered but he had obviously been awake that night crying, not going to tell you why but it really hit home just how physically and mentally demanding their job is.

Emergency services deserve far more pay and respect than they get."

"I do think a lot of the planned changes are unfair, and they do need to try and fight it. I'd ask any of those who are slating the fire service to go and put on their uniform and do the job for a day then tell me if you still feel they are a pain in the arse.

Emergency services deserve far more pay and respect than they get."

Yes it's unfair BUT its the same for all public services they are all having their belts tightened. Yes I strongly disagree with them striking as they are an emergency service should never be allowed. I have done their job the last time they spat their collective dummy. They get payed well for the job they do. Now they should just man up and take the same as everybody else or leave the service

Glasgow

Yes it's unfair BUT its the same for all public services they are all having their belts tightened. Yes I strongly disagree with them striking as they are an emergency service should never be allowed. I have done their job the last time they spat their collective dummy. They get payed well for the job they do. Now they should just man up and take the same as everybody else or leave the service"

So what age are YOU forced to work to before you can collect your pension?

"Ever wish you hadn't read a thread...all I can say is wow. "

Regularly !

Norwich

One thing I've never understood is why we expect the army to step in and use the horrible green godesses. If they are going to keep everyone safe thay should be using the best equipment available i.e. all the stuff that is laying about in firestations unused.

I'm not against the fireman going on strike, everyone should have the option of withdrawing their labour, it's usually a last resort and a result of frustration that higher ups are taking the piss.

So I suppose the armed services will again have to cover the firefighters for less money than they get. No support here.

Yes it's unfair BUT its the same for all public services they are all having their belts tightened. Yes I strongly disagree with them striking as they are an emergency service should never be allowed. I have done their job the last time they spat their collective dummy. They get payed well for the job they do. Now they should just man up and take the same as everybody else or leave the service

So what age are YOU forced to work to before you can collect your pension?"

No ones forcing me to work. I work because I need to earn money so as long as I'm physically capable.

"One thing I've never understood is why we expect the army to step in and use the horrible green godesses. If they are going to keep everyone safe thay should be using the best equipment available i.e. all the stuff that is laying about in firestations unused.

"

The Fire Service will not allow them to use it.

Glasgow

"

So what age are YOU forced to work to before you can collect your pension?

No ones forcing me to work. I work because I need to earn money so as long as I'm physically capable."

The hint there is 'physically capable'. Can anyone of 60 be expected to be physically capable of doing what we ask of firefighters?

"One thing I've never understood is why we expect the army to step in and use the horrible green godesses. If they are going to keep everyone safe thay should be using the best equipment available i.e. all the stuff that is laying about in firestations unused.

The Fire Service will not allow them to use it. "

Covered a strike whilst in the RAF not only had to use green goddesses we used ford transit vans with extinguishers. also took a lot of abuse from striking firefighters and one WRAF member slapped by a striking fireman.

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

Fire fighters..

Ambulance crew..

Air ambulance..

"

So what would be the pay cut off point when you decided that was sufficient?

Glasgow

Fire fighters..

Ambulance crew..

Air ambulance..

So what would be the pay cut off point when you decided that was sufficient?"

Does that mean 'how much is enough?'

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

Fire fighters..

Ambulance crew..

Air ambulance..

So what would be the pay cut off point when you decided that was sufficient?

Does that mean 'how much is enough?'"

Exactly..

The Fire Service will not allow them to use it.

Covered a strike whilst in the RAF not only had to use green goddesses we used ford transit vans with extinguishers. also took a lot of abuse from striking firefighters and one WRAF member slapped by a striking fireman. "

Don't forget the senior service! I have just been deployed for seven months and face losing part of my post deployment leave! Although I support peoples right to strike and fight for what they deserve, the knock on effect and potential consequences on others goes amiss!

Glasgow

"

Don't forget the senior service! I have just been deployed for seven months and face losing part of my post deployment leave! Although I support peoples right to strike and fight for what they deserve, the knock on effect and potential consequences on others goes amiss!"

Your post deployment leave should be made up soonest unless there's a training or operational need for you.

Life isn't always fair in this regard but sacrifice such as this is never forgotten.

what you mean they dont allow the army to use it. Its not their stuff its the taxpayers we paid for it. If they get in the way arrest them. The public come first here.

Glasgow

"what you mean they dont allow the army to use it. Its not their stuff its the taxpayers we paid for it. If they get in the way arrest them. The public come first here. "

Funny how easily keys get misplaced.

"what you mean they dont allow the army to use it. Its not their stuff its the taxpayers we paid for it. If they get in the way arrest them. The public come first here. "

They say that the service men/ woman are not qualified or bright enough to use them

thats not their call too much vested interest why dot we get some balls and tell them we are using it end of. A well trained soldier is surely as if not more capable than a fireman

that should be a serious misconduct issues a sackable offence it would be where I work in the normal world

ok retire them when medically unfit but pension starts at 65 like the real world

Lucky they can strike!! Armed forces can't nor can the health service who also have had to deal with cuts.

To all fireman I say, welcome to our world LOL. i.e the one where you don't get a wage rise for 5 years and the only pension you get is the measly bit you manage to scrape together yourself every month. Count yourself lucky you are getting anything at all. Not saying it's right but it's just the way of the world nowadays.

got it really good . when was last time you had to cut out a family from a car that had been killed in a crash ? run into a building that was was burning down ? bring out burnt bodies . if you ever do ring 999 a hope they tell you to fuck right off .....

Those that say that the fireservice is demanding etc and that firemen deserve respect because its physically demanding etc...i fully agree...but then so is the job of the soldiers and other service personel that usually have to cover. The infantry used to cover those strikes when i served and yet we had to do it despite the fact of the things we had seen and had to DO as part of our own jobs! noone considered the fact that WE had seen and done things like dug up dead bodies from mass graves, been involved in combat, watched mates get blown apart literally. Yes those firefighters see people burnt to death etc...but strange that my experience of the strikes was of verbal abuse in a supermarket after i went in to get food at the same that there was a party of striking firefighters in there and they abused me verbally and tried to physically intimidate me. Strange how infantry wages were so much less than a firefighters at the time. The wage issue was addressed years ago and although i understand the reason fire fighters are striking I never heard them cry out when armed forces pay and conditions were changed and we COULDNT strike, I understand your problems but if you want support and respect you also have to give it, so yes guys i understand your point but do i support you striking ...no i dont. Oh by the way some firefighters self roster now so they even get to choose what days they work, so their second jobs can be done after a good nights sleep and they can arrnge a few days off without taking annual leave etc. You have the right to a second job and i wouldnt deny you that but you work less hours than many do and for more pay etc. Retiring at 60, maybe they will make those older fire fighters do desk jobs for the retirement age now till 60 i dont know.

I dont begrudge anyone a cushy job and good conditions that benefit them if they can get it but constantly striking is not a good public image for the fireservice and it has not endeared them to many of the public.

Glasgow

"thats not their call too much vested interest why dot we get some balls and tell them we are using it end of. A well trained soldier is surely as if not more capable than a fireman"

Agreed but nobody, as far as I can see, is planning to make 60 year old Jocks fight in the front line.

It's not about being Garrison Sergeant Major where the your hardest job is getting the Chelsea Pensioners down the stairs in the Albert Hall in one piece.

got it really good . when was last time you had to cut out a family from a car that had been killed in a crash ? run into a building that was was burning down ? bring out burnt bodies . if you ever do ring 999 a hope they tell you to fuck right off ....."

Think you'll find that if there's danger to them selfs they don't run into burning buildings ( as boasted by a fireman who drank in my local ) also they knew what the job involved before they joined.

Glasgow

got it really good . when was last time you had to cut out a family from a car that had been killed in a crash ? run into a building that was was burning down ? bring out burnt bodies . if you ever do ring 999 a hope they tell you to fuck right off .....

Think you'll find that if there's danger to them selfs they don't run into burning buildings ( as boasted by a fireman who drank in my local ) also they knew what the job involved before they joined. "

Not 'into', 'towards' .

Think you'll find that if there's danger to them selfs they don't run into burning buildings ( as boasted by a fireman who drank in my local ) also they knew what the job involved before they joined.

Not 'into', 'towards' ."

Sorry "towards" still the same thing as I said in a earlier post a fireman slapped a WRAF and the reason was that she did go towards a burning building and told the fireman to shut up when he started calling her names for doing it.

Wonders if the OP is reading this stuff and would like to make a reasoned reply about what he has seen.

There's a lot of post saying, if you walked in their shoes or if you do a days work, they all knew what they were getting into when they went for the job, no one forced them into it. I don't agree with any strike that can put people lifes in risk, yes it only for four hours but a lot can happen, as a post said ealier, the arms forces are not allowed to strike, and so it should be with firefighters, nhs workers, and police. Everyone is having their penision messed with but that life. If anything happens when they on strike they should all be sacked and possible criminal procedings. So no support form me (bull) and I wander how many supporters will be feeling the same support if their house burnt down or parents or lovedone died in a fire because they were on strike?

"I'm not just sticking up for the FB. In the papers the other day was a story of a soldier who was made redundant 2 months short of full service. This has cost him and I'm sure many others thousands in lost pension and means he has to wait until 67 to claim it. The armed forces are being fucked about in a big way. What I was trying to say was that people who sit in an office or behind a steering wheel or counter can not compare that with emergency services or armed forces. We all make our choices but when you are seeing mates shot/ blown up or are scrapping a child off the front of a car or saving a badly burnt victim from a smoke filled room you have signed up to run to the stuff that everyone else is running away from, you expect your employers to stick to their side of the deal... Do you rreally want a 60 year old person coming to your rescue... "

im sorry, do firemen sign up not expecting to run to burning buildings or attend RTA's, or soldiers not expect to see service in a foreign land?

the difference between the 2 is the armed forces get fcuked by both sides (those that hate them, and those that run them) in fact, there would be a LOT more support for soldiers to tell their pay masters to fcuk themselves and go on strike, than there is going to be for the fire brigade to do so, and why? because soldiers carry out their duty with a quiet dignity rather than complaining about having ood wages and a decent pension.

furthermore, on the question of wanting a 60 year old saving me from a burning building? i couldnt give a flying fuck what age the person saving me was, as long as they are physically fit to do so.

i know plenty of 60+ year olds that are more fit than SOME 30 year olds.

im certain the brigade wont be forcing those that arent physically able to carry out those tasks they are unable to do, as that would be dangerous.

stand by my first thoughts on this.

very little sympathy.

everyones terms and conditions are being fcuked about with, so suck it up.

not like you are being put on the breadline

Oh yes I forgot a HGV driver always go into burning down family homes, and fond dead kids because they was to late, silly me hey "

ah, of course, every day firemen run into burning buildings to find dead kids.

what a ridiculous statement.

MOST days are probably just pan fires/cats from trees/kids heads from railings and so on, these horror story fires are not the norm, otherwise with todays 24/7 news, you would be hearing about it all the time, and you dont.

the really bad shit is very much the minority, not the norm, so you cant base an argument on entitlement through that.

hear much more often of soldiers dying tbh.

why arent the police striking?

they see many more dead babies than the fire brigade.

flawed argument

Glasgow

"

Not 'into', 'towards' .

Sorry "towards" still the same thing as I said in a earlier post a fireman slapped a WRAF and the reason was that she did go towards a burning building and told the fireman to shut up when he started calling her names for doing it.

"

It's not the same thing at all.

No doubt there are credible witnesses to the slapping incident and the matter has been dealt with by the courts......?

got it really good . when was last time you had to cut out a family from a car that had been killed in a crash ? run into a building that was was burning down ? bring out burnt bodies . if you ever do ring 999 a hope they tell you to fuck right off ....."

i ceratainly hope not, because thats misconduct.

i pay for these people and services, as i do the bins, and if i were to be told to fuck off if my bin wasnt emptied, i would be putting in a grievence.

ooo, imagine how much compensation i would get out of their pension pot.

ridiculous statement

By *etanreadyCouple  over a year ago

dover

"100% support.

"

"

Not 'into', 'towards' .

It's not the same thing at all.

No doubt there are credible witnesses to the slapping incident and the matter has been dealt with by the courts......?"

Yes the witnesses where members of RAF Regiment and Army units so very credible and the matter was dealt with in the manner that was excepted.

if they told me to fuck off the publicity thy would get would be hard core. Id expect them to be sacked and would demand nothing less. I pay them and expect them to deliver. I think we should start a pressure group against fireman and remind people thy were prepared to let our children burn by striking on bonfire night. Disgusting!

liverpool

Oh yes I forgot a HGV driver always go into burning down family homes, and fond dead kids because they was to late, silly me hey

MOST days are probably just pan fires/cats from trees/kids heads from railings and so on, these horror story fires are not the norm, otherwise with todays 24/7 news, you would be hearing about it all the time, and you dont.

the really bad shit is very much the minority, not the norm, so you cant base an argument on entitlement through that.

flawed argument"

No its not a flawed argument,

Did I say that was the norm, NO.

So that's ok then because they only see it a couple of times a year. Good point that.

Look at my earlier posts I said I had great respect for the armed forces, and also the same respect for other emergency services, but is the op post about them? NO its about fire service.

People that want to bring every little thing into point really gets my goat, were talking about fire service so why do we feel the need to keep other people happy respecting other services in our posts??

If you feel so sting about other issues like respect for armed forces ect, you now we're the post new topic button is.

liverpool

"I'm not just sticking up for the FB. In the papers the other day was a story of a soldier who was made redundant 2 months short of full service. This has cost him and I'm sure many others thousands in lost pension and means he has to wait until 67 to claim it. The armed forces are being fucked about in a big way. What I was trying to say was that people who sit in an office or behind a steering wheel or counter can not compare that with emergency services or armed forces. We all make our choices but when you are seeing mates shot/ blown up or are scrapping a child off the front of a car or saving a badly burnt victim from a smoke filled room you have signed up to run to the stuff that everyone else is running away from, you expect your employers to stick to their side of the deal... Do you rreally want a 60 year old person coming to your rescue...

im sorry, do firemen sign up not expecting to run to burning buildings or attend RTA's, or soldiers not expect to see service in a foreign land?

the difference between the 2 is the armed forces get fcuked by both sides (those that hate them, and those that run them) in fact, there would be a LOT more support for soldiers to tell their pay masters to fcuk themselves and go on strike, than there is going to be for the fire brigade to do so, and why? because soldiers carry out their duty with a quiet dignity rather than complaining about having ood wages and a decent pension.

furthermore, on the question of wanting a 60 year old saving me from a burning building? i couldnt give a flying fuck what age the person saving me was, as long as they are physically fit to do so.

im certain the brigade wont be forcing those that arent physically able to carry out those tasks they are unable to do, as that would be dangerous.

very little sympathy.

not like you are being put on the breadline"

I agree with you but we can't always argue points in life by justifying other aspects.

I'm sure to a degree city bankers have a very stressful job, but we don't call them heros do we.

All I'm trying to say if your point is so strongly about the ruff deal the army get then post a topic on here.

flawed argument

No its not a flawed argument,

Did I say that was the norm, NO.

So that's ok then because they only see it a couple of times a year. Good point that.

Look at my earlier posts I said I had great respect for the armed forces, and also the same respect for other emergency services, but is the op post about them? NO its about fire service.

People that want to bring every little thing into point really gets my goat, were talking about fire service so why do we feel the need to keep other people happy respecting other services in our posts??

If you feel so sting about other issues like respect for armed forces ect, you now we're the post new topic button is."

Agree with what you saying in a lot of respects but think that as the fire service know the armed forces will have to cover them and as one poster said he will lose leave because of it then they're not helping themselves in the public eye. Also they knew what was on offer when they joined and excepted it as other service men/ women and myself did when we joined

"I'm not just sticking up for the FB. In the papers the other day was a story of a soldier who was made redundant 2 months short of full service. This has cost him and I'm sure many others thousands in lost pension and means he has to wait until 67 to claim it. The armed forces are being fucked about in a big way. What I was trying to say was that people who sit in an office or behind a steering wheel or counter can not compare that with emergency services or armed forces. We all make our choices but when you are seeing mates shot/ blown up or are scrapping a child off the front of a car or saving a badly burnt victim from a smoke filled room you have signed up to run to the stuff that everyone else is running away from, you expect your employers to stick to their side of the deal... Do you rreally want a 60 year old person coming to your rescue...

very little sympathy.

I agree with you but we can't always argue points in life by justifying other aspects.

I'm sure to a degree city bankers have a very stressful job, but we don't call them heros do we.

All I'm trying to say if your point is so strongly about the ruff deal the army get then post a topic on here."

you say you have a problem with people picking up on every little point, yet i have only mentioned the armed forces on maybe 2 of my many posts on this subject.

pot.kettle.black....

there are very few real 'heroes' in these kinds of jobs, and why? because its what they are paid for

its what they are supposed to be doing.

the 'real' hero in a fire situation, would be the bloke passing that runs in to get the children before it catches hold, because he sint expected to do so.

he doesnt have to wait to have the correct equipment or th right health and safety paperwork/training.

they are fir fighters. do they expect to be baking cakes for a living?

no, they expect to be fighting fires.

they get paid for what they do.

everyone has had terms and conditions for doing what they do, and in fact have had workloads increased in a lot of cases.

again, i ask, why are the fire brigade so above everyone else?

very little sympathy.

All I'm trying to say if your point is so strongly about the ruff deal the army get then post a topic on here.

you say you have a problem with people picking up on every little point, yet i have only mentioned the armed forces on maybe 2 of my many posts on this subject.

pot.kettle.black....

there are very few real 'heroes' in these kinds of jobs, and why? because its what they are paid for

its what they are supposed to be doing.

the 'real' hero in a fire situation, would be the bloke passing that runs in to get the children before it catches hold, because he sint expected to do so.

he doesnt have to wait to have the correct equipment or th right health and safety paperwork/training.

they are fir fighters. do they expect to be baking cakes for a living?

no, they expect to be fighting fires.

they get paid for what they do.

everyone has had terms and conditions for doing what they do, and in fact have had workloads increased in a lot of cases.

again, i ask, why are the fire brigade so above everyone else?"

Totally agree you pick a Job for whatever reason you want then you do it for the same reason.

I dunno why all the armed forces people are having a pop at firemen on here. If a soldier signs on after his initial 2 years he can expect high pay, free accommodation, subsidised meals, regular adventure training (aka 'holidays' as we call them), fantastic training, Fridays off, staff cars if needed, and if they get to a high enough rank they get free cleaners/gardeners. Then when they leave after 22 years they get a stonking pension plus the chance to work as a retired officer at even higher pay and an extra pension for that.

I work with soldiers and don't begrudge them it, but they have to remember that the rest of us mere mortals have to pay out a lot more, with a lot less money.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

not my words but copied from a firefighter friends face book page

So a strike date is set, and tomorrow the smear campaign and hatred towards us will start...but I'm going to put it out there straight, my personal view of why I am striking..... it's not about money, if I wanted to be rich I would not of become a firefighter, I love my job...it's what I've always wanted to do...I don't ever want to stop doing it, but one day my body will start to fail under the extreme stresses the job puts it through, I stay as fit as I can to allow me to do my job but you know what....we cannot stop our bodies ageing....and after years of blood, sweat, tears, loyalty, unquestionable dedication emotional scarring from seeing some truly horrible heart wrenching scenes the day I'm unable to "as 55year old +" wear a BA set in hundreds of degrees of fire to rescue somebody or run up a ladder and pull someone out of a building I will be SACKED....because I'm unable to carry out my job..I will not be able to draw my pension because the government say its my fault that my body can no longer do it, The fire brigade used to put you into office jobs if you could not fulfil your operational roll....well now they can't because its all privatised, so it's easier for them to throw me on the scrap heap, I don't do my job for THEM....I do it for YOU I love "saving people" being part of a team that will be your life line during the worst possible moment of your life...but sometimes that leaves me haunted by the ones we could not save, I don't complain, I don't speak of it...I put on a brave face and pretend it doesn't affect me..but it does, but as of tonight the government and media will make myself and my colleagues across the country out to be vile, greedy, selfish monsters.....all because we don't want to be thrown on the rubbish tip and prevented access to our pensions all because our old bodies are broken.....I can't tell you how heart breaking it is to see your fire service being shredded apart all so a bunch of backhanding barefaced lying politicians can profit from its privatisation.

make of it what you will

"I dunno why all the armed forces people are having a pop at firemen on here. If a soldier signs on after his initial 2 years he can expect high pay, free accommodation, subsidised meals, regular adventure training (aka 'holidays' as we call them), fantastic training, Fridays off, staff cars if needed, and if they get to a high enough rank they get free cleaners/gardeners. Then when they leave after 22 years they get a stonking pension plus the chance to work as a retired officer at even higher pay and an extra pension for that.

I work with soldiers and don't begrudge them it, but they have to remember that the rest of us mere mortals have to pay out a lot more, with a lot less money."

Firstly not free accommodation or substadised food both are taken out at source. Regular adventure training or "holidays" few and very far between unless you count Afghanistan ( Northern Ireland ) in my day. Gardeners yes for station commander or commanding officer. Stonking pension used to be after 22 years but not anymore. Can't claim any benefits if I get unemployed because i'v got a stonking pension ( £13 left aftery mortgage ) also get taxed as a second income on said pension.

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

To me it not just the fire fighters it everyone how joins a pension system at point of employment and then after a few years it gets changed, bet the MP's haven't suffered half has much. In my eyes( yes the blind ones) I know who I think deserves their pension

"To me it not just the fire fighters it everyone how joins a pension system at point of employment and then after a few years it gets changed, bet the MP's haven't suffered half has much. In my eyes( yes the blind ones) I know who I think deserves their pension"

Very true but most of the people affected don't or can't strike. The fire service are willing to put people at risk by they're actions.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

nice to see so many falling for the old Tory trick of divide and conquer but hey dont worry about it we will all be in the same boat when we are signing on but hey my redundancy was more worthy than yours cos i was a firefighter postie soldier airman sailor railworker nurse but its all right the same people are walking off into the sunset with millions in there pockets made off my suffering

"To me it not just the fire fighters it everyone how joins a pension system at point of employment and then after a few years it gets changed, bet the MP's haven't suffered half has much. In my eyes( yes the blind ones) I know who I think deserves their pension

Very true but most of the people affected don't or can't strike. The fire service are willing to put people at risk by they're actions."

Yep it says my pension is what I am more interested in than potentially saving lives. You can dress it up how you like but thats basically what they are saying.

"nice to see so many falling for the old Tory trick of divide and conquer but hey dont worry about it we will all be in the same boat when we are signing on but hey my redundancy was more worthy than yours cos i was a firefighter postie soldier airman sailor railworker nurse but its all right the same people are walking off into the sunset with millions in there pockets made off my suffering "

no one is falling for divide and conquer,, however, to strike and put peoples lives at risk, when the rest of the civil service have had to face the same cuts/freezes/term changes, will obviously hold very little weight with those that are already struggling with a lower wage, not to mention those in the private sector that dont get half the benefits, and nowhere near the wages, that the public sector have enjoyed for many years

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

"To me it not just the fire fighters it everyone how joins a pension system at point of employment and then after a few years it gets changed, bet the MP's haven't suffered half has much. In my eyes( yes the blind ones) I know who I think deserves their pension

Very true but most of the people affected don't or can't strike. The fire service are willing to put people at risk by they're actions."

I blame the people who changed the pensions without talking, fire fighter working to sixty that can never be a good thing

"nice to see so many falling for the old Tory trick of divide and conquer but hey dont worry about it we will all be in the same boat when we are signing on but hey my redundancy was more worthy than yours cos i was a firefighter postie soldier airman sailor railworker nurse but its all right the same people are walking off into the sunset with millions in there pockets made off my suffering "

Where is there a Tory trick of divide an conquer? When I covered fire fighters strikes it was a labour goverment. Toe and some others it's about people wanting more and not worrying who they hurt to get it

"I dunno why all the armed forces people are having a pop at firemen on here. If a soldier signs on after his initial 2 years he can expect high pay, free accommodation, subsidised meals, regular adventure training (aka 'holidays' as we call them), fantastic training, Fridays off, staff cars if needed, and if they get to a high enough rank they get free cleaners/gardeners. Then when they leave after 22 years they get a stonking pension plus the chance to work as a retired officer at even higher pay and an extra pension for that.

I work with soldiers and don't begrudge them it, but they have to remember that the rest of us mere mortals have to pay out a lot more, with a lot less money."

What planet are you from? are the soldiers you work with from the planet bullshit?

Firefighters dry your eyes and carry on

Like the rest of us

I work with soldiers and don't begrudge them it, but they have to remember that the rest of us mere mortals have to pay out a lot more, with a lot less money.

What planet are you from? are the soldiers you work with from the planet bullshit?

Firefighters dry your eyes and carry on

Like the rest of us"

Lol

Very true but most of the people affected don't or can't strike. The fire service are willing to put people at risk by they're actions.

I blame the people who changed the pensions without talking, fire fighter working to sixty that can never be a good thing "

why can't a 60 year old be fit? I know a fair few in their late 50s who are fitter than most 25 year olds. What age do other countries fire fighters work till?

I blame the people who changed the pensions without talking, fire fighter working to sixty that can never be a good thing

why can't a 60 year old be fit? I know a fair few in their late 50s who are fitter than most 25 year olds. What age do other countries fire fighters work till?"

Good question. Think that some careers have a shelf life but you know that when you join

Essex.

I would like to clear up a couple of points. Firstly the green goddesses have all been sold off. They are starting to stock pile old FB engines. I'm not sure who they are training up to man them... The police can't strike, they lost the right when they signed a fair pay contract with the government. Yes I have met some right arseholes in the FB. Being honest though there are arseholes in every job.

Re the fitness levels. Yes 60 year olds can be very fit, however not many will be fit after a life time of the physical abuse that emergency services/armed forces are put through. Yes there are office jobs but no where nearly enough for all the people expected to stay on the extra years. What ever job you join you know and agree with the terms and conditions when you sign on the dotted line. What is not right is that your employer can say you have to follow that contract to the letter but we can chop and change it as we please. To the people who say well you can leave I ask is it that easy to just walk out of your job and into an other?

Politicians alway release some damaging news about a service before announcing cuts...

"I would like to clear up a couple of points. Firstly the green goddesses have all been sold off. They are starting to stock pile old FB engines. I'm not sure who they are training up to man them... The police can't strike, they lost the right when they signed a fair pay contract with the government. Yes I have met some right arseholes in the FB. Being honest though there are arseholes in every job.

Re the fitness levels. Yes 60 year olds can be very fit, however not many will be fit after a life time of the physical abuse that emergency services/armed forces are put through. Yes there are office jobs but no where nearly enough for all the people expected to stay on the extra years. What ever job you join you know and agree with the terms and conditions when you sign on the dotted line. What is not right is that your employer can say you have to follow that contract to the letter but we can chop and change it as we please. To the people who say well you can leave I ask is it that easy to just walk out of your job and into an other?

Politicians alway release some damaging news about a service before announcing cuts..."

your point about contracts has been true for time immamorial though.

and, as you have said, what are you going to do?

you break your contract, you are sacked for breach of contract.

they change the terms, you dont agree, you are the one out of work.

so, do what everyone else does.

piss, moan, whine and bitch about it.

but dont put lives at risk.

By *ebsCoupleCouple  over a year ago

Orpington/london

These people put their lives on the line for everyone every single day! !

7/7 attacks in London they were there cutting people free performing life saving first aid! Even when the bombs were still going off. Fire fighters worked unpaid overtime came in on days off

God forbid you ever need them. but they get paid as other emergency services do just in case.

I'm a nurse and last year I treated a mother her 3yr old and new born baby who were pulled from a burning building by a lovely fire fighter all alive and kicking because of him.

I attended his funeral a week later!!!

1 of 1000’s of stories I could tell you about the fire service.

Asleep or awake they should be paid double what they get.

Sorry for the rant but some people!

7/7 attacks in London they were there cutting people free performing life saving first aid! Even when the bombs were still going off. Fire fighters worked unpaid overtime came in on days off

God forbid you ever need them. but they get paid as other emergency services do just in case.

I'm a nurse and last year I treated a mother her 3yr old and new born baby who were pulled from a burning building by a lovely fire fighter all alive and kicking because of him.

"

ok, lets double their wages and take the money from the NHS budget so your wages have to be slashed.

because the money will have to come from somewhere and we all know it aint gonna be their own pension pots.

so where does it come from?

old people services?

disabled help?

benefits?

evey single person that is effected by a cut will have a moan about it, and rightly so, but when a government was spending money like a d*unken sailor, and buying votes by keeping everyone sweet, then belts need to be tightened.

if there was an infinite pot of money then i wouldnt begrudge wages for anyone that makes a difference to peoples lives (police/fire/hospitals and so on) but there isnt is there

liverpool

"

Hit the nail on the head here, the horror stories are few and far between ( as some of highlighted here) don't care if they only saved one kid in there life time, all the pay would be worth it.

I have heard a few stories most of them not nice, 100% behind the strike.

By *ebsCoupleCouple  over a year ago

Orpington/london

ok, lets double their wages and take the money from the NHS budget so your wages have to be slashed.

because the money will have to come from somewhere and we all know it aint gonna be their own pension pots.

so where does it come from?

old people services?

disabled help?

benefits?

evey single person that is effected by a cut will have a moan about it, and rightly so, but when a government was spending money like a d*unken sailor, and buying votes by keeping everyone sweet, then belts need to be tightened.

if there was an infinite pot of money then i wouldnt begrudge wages for anyone that makes a difference to peoples lives (police/fire/hospitals and so on) but there isnt is there"

For starters the pension pot, one fireman we know is about to retire.he's been in the service since he was 17 on top of the pension he was given he added 18% of his wages every single month and he's been told your getting the basic pension only so what's happened to the err £180 k he saved towards his old age? ????no one can tell him.

You can tighten belts all you want but it gets to a point where lives are in danger not only the emergency services staff but the public.

And the comment about doubling their pay,do you seriously think I was being serious. In an ideal world yes but we're not on an ideal world are we???

How about we put all emergency services to a 9-5,Monday-Friday???

Anything outside that never mind I'm sure people like you will step up to the Mark and put your life on the line.

Pull people out of burning buildings?

Cut a screaming child out of a car crash?

Perform life saving surgery?

Lol people like you have never really been in proper need of the emergency services in their life and I hope you never do.

Once just once I'd like everyone to witness all the emergency services in action.

Instead of coming to a and e with a splinter in your big toe or a broken ruddy nail! Or call the police coz you've lost your keys while your in your house

or call the fire service to catch a spider or call the fire service coz you've fallen out with your neighbours and want to ruin their BBQ .yes all true stories!

Ffs using the emergency services correctly and that'll save stupid amounts of money.