FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > car trouble

car trouble

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *riskygaz OP   Man  over a year ago

birmingham

ford focus 1.6 TDC did a diagnostic scan and the fault is with DPF ( Diesel particular filter ) anyone had this problem, and do you know if an 06 reg has a tank your meant to fill with a chemical that helps keep the filter from clogging up ? new filter £217 so I have bought a treatment to put in the fuel, see if it helps clear it out fingers crossed.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Let me get this right, ya need a filter to stop ya filter clogging up

Are they like Russian dolls

birmingham

"If it is an engine service light( I think) that comes up then it is the liquid to keep the DPF filter clean that has ran out and needs re filling

( so the OH said happened to his )"

Well that would be a lot cheaper than a new DPF the first warning symbol that come on the dash looks like a cog, and the car went into limp home mode, it cuts about 70% of the cars power, the following day the check engine light come out, I can turn that of with the scanner but the cog symbol stays on,

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Google it. I think you may be able to do a force regen.

birmingham

I am quite sure the filter has got really clogged up, all the forums say it happens if you do most of your driving around town, they need a long run to clear the filter out, I will put the fuel stuff in tomorrow and go a good drive down the M5 that should be similar to the forced regeneration thing, I hope lol

birmingham

"Let me get this right, ya need a filter to stop ya filter clogging up

Are they like Russian dolls "

I will need a new filter if I cant get the blocked up one to clear it's self, it depends how bad it is, some people take them off and blast the shit out of them with a jet wash

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

Apparently the AA has 1000 call outs a month with this problem with cars with DPFs, it's to do with the way people drive them too economically. they need a good regular blow out in teenager racer mode. There was a discussion about it on BBC Radio4 You and yours, Listen here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01dw2nt

Jenny.

birmingham

"Apparently the AA has 1000 call outs a month with this problem with cars with DPFs, it's to do with the way people drive them too economically. they need a good regular blow out in teenager racer mode. There was a discussion about it on BBC Radio4 You and yours, Listen here.

Jenny."

thanks I will check it out

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 14/09/13 00:39:47]

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"Apparently the AA has 1000 call outs a month with this problem with cars with DPFs, it's to do with the way people drive them too economically. they need a good regular blow out in teenager racer mode. There was a discussion about it on BBC Radio4 You and yours, Listen here.

Jenny."

100% correct

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Are they like Russian dolls I will need a new filter if I cant get the blocked up one to clear it's self, it depends how bad it is, some people take them off and blast the shit out of them with a jet wash"

That sounds like a plan

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You can't do a force regen on most cars without the proper dealership computers, force regen is carried out parked up and builds revs up and holds for so long before bringing the revs back down and setting all the parameters back to where they should be.....

Best way to try to do a forced regen is to stick the car in 4th and take it for a good run down the motorway at 70 for about 20 miles. Although there's no guarantee it will work if the light has cone on, it could well be fragged!

Your absolute best course of action for any diesel car fitted with a DPF and EGR valve (and that's all modern diesels) is to have itremapped and have both parts removed, they're not needed for the car to run(although if a fault occurs in either part they will cause a fault and limp mode, a remap will cure this) and are not required for the MOT. You will also benefit from better fuel economy and slightly more power, the average cost of a remap varies but is around £350 but this cost is offset by the trouble and money it will save you in the long term.

Feel free to google what I'm saying and you'll find thousands of people who've done it and benefited, me included...

Are they like Russian dolls I will need a new filter if I cant get the blocked up one to clear it's self, it depends how bad it is, some people take them off and blast the shit out of them with a jet wash"

Have you seen the price of a new DPF? Be prepared!!

By *lay 4 uMan  over a year ago

bolton

Find someone who can remap your car and av it removed a lot cheaper option car dose not need filter

NV Motorsport are in Birmingham and can remap your ECU and remove the DPF, they guarantee their work for the life of the car too.

Google them and get it booked in...

By *igjob01Man  over a year ago

near newtownards

"Best way to try to do a forced regen is to stick the car in 4th and take it for a good run down the motorway at 70 for about 20 miles. Although there's no guarantee it will work if the light has cone on, it could well be fragged!

Your absolute best course of action for any diesel car fitted with a DPF and EGR valve (and that's all modern diesels) is to have itremapped and have both parts removed, they're not needed for the car to run(although if a fault occurs in either part they will cause a fault and limp mode, a remap will cure this) and are not required for the MOT. You will also benefit from better fuel economy and slightly more power, the average cost of a remap varies but is around £350 but this cost is offset by the trouble and money it will save you in the long term.

Feel free to google what I'm saying and you'll find thousands of people who've done it and benefited, me included..."

Fords are petictularly prone to this if you having trouble with a chocked up dpf a remap for removal of it and egr valve is HIGHLY recommended a similar problem killed my mondeo after 3 egr valves engine was heavily d up as was dpf

Also stick the jet wash up the exhaust, it will Clean some of the crud from the catalytic converter.

The motorway blast should be done once per week/fortnight/month depending on mileage

"Also stick the jet wash up the exhaust, it will Clean some of the crud from the catalytic converter.

The motorway blast should be done once per week/fortnight/month depending on mileage"

You're more likely to collapse the cat or turn the soot that's in the DPF into sludge doing that, its really not recommended at all, you'll cause more problems than you'll cure.

"Best way to try to do a forced regen is to stick the car in 4th and take it for a good run down the motorway at 70 for about 20 miles. Although there's no guarantee it will work if the light has cone on, it could well be fragged!

Feel free to google what I'm saying and you'll find thousands of people who've done it and benefited, me included...

Fords are petictularly prone to this if you having trouble with a chocked up dpf a remap for removal of it and egr valve is HIGHLY recommended a similar problem killed my mondeo after 3 egr valves engine was heavily d up as was dpf"

EGR valves are notorious weak spots on all diesels, partly down to what their actual function is (they divert exhaust gasses back onto the cylinders) and partly down to modern diesel fuel having reduced sulphur in it. The sulphur actually helps diesel engines as its a lubricant and the newer reduced sulphur fuel is why so many older diesels are suffering with high pressure fuel pump failures and stuck/jammed EGR valves. I always recommend that diesel owners add a little two stroke oil to a tank of fuel to help reduce this problem and also remove and clean the EGR valve at least every six months, its dead easy and requires no special tools and just a can of carb cleaner from Halfords. That's if you dont go down the highly recommended removal/remap route...

Don't buy a Ford

"Don't buy a Ford "

As much as I agree with that statement this problem is something that affects all modern turbo diesel engined cars. You can thank the Americans for it and the bloody stupid Californian emissions regulations....

I hope my new electric car doesn't have any nasty, hidden problems

This engine is manufactured by Peugeot and ford regret fitting it . I had one and destroyed two turbos as unless you change the oil on a regular basis the oil ways clogg up within the engine and nothing can break the carbon down . It is also fitted to the mini . There is a lot of warnings about this problem on the Internet and my local ford garage openly admitted the problem . Just another bit to watch out for when looking after your engine !

Have a look round local scrappies might be able to find one much cheaper than from a dealer or garage

"Also stick the jet wash up the exhaust, it will Clean some of the crud from the catalytic converter.

The motorway blast should be done once per week/fortnight/month depending on mileage"

I would really not recommend doing that its not a clever idea...

was going to buy a car last week that had this filter on it...... our mechanic friend told us to stay well clear unless you drive it at least once a week at about 70 mph for about 40 mins...... its many designed for motor way driving and not around town..... his words not mine.... hence i didnt by the car

birmingham

hi all up date on my DPF problem, thanks for all the advice

well for now I appear to have resolved the problem, and I did it by adding a fuel additive that helps to clean out the DPF £9 from car spares, on the bottles it recommends using it about every third full tank of fuel, I thought I would give the regen a try, but was sceptical about it working, so I jumped on the M40 and did a round trip of a 130 miles, got back home was still in limp home mode and both warning lights still on, I used my Maxiscan ms309 to read fault code, original scan said DPF this time it said DPF Regen Ash, I cleared the fault codes all warning lights went out and no longer in limp home mode happy days.

I recommend the maxiscan MS309 only cost £21 on Ebay, easy to use and takes a couple off minutes to find out what the problem is, and you can google any information if your not sure what it means, and you don't get a bill for a £100 of a main dealer for doing something that takes two minutes, what a bloody rip off

Feel free to google what I'm saying and you'll find thousands of people who've done it and benefited, me included..."

what he said

remove DPF then remap to compensate fodder the removal = no DPF light, more bhp and better mpg

if you do go down this route please use a company who will do this on a rolling road and not a £150 cowboy who will come to your house with a laptop and install a generic map

If you drive it down a motorway make sure you stay in 3rd gear as will give you a rev range of about 4to4 and half thousand revs and this is not a force regen it's atempt at a manual regen .... As said in previous post forced regen is carried out by a dealer ... Mechanic for over twenty years and with different car dealerships

As naughty dog says. Givevir a goid thrash in 3rd gear on the motorway

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

I have a diesel zafira. It needs a good kicking every couple of weeks. Hade the centre and rear sections replaced including the DPF and CAT, cost me £370 fitted which isn't bad considering last year it would have cost me nearly £1000 just to buy the parts!

DPFs are a pain in the ass if you don't do the mileage on the motorway. But if you can regularly blast it up and down the motorway, they aren't a problem.

well said eco my ass just a way to exstort money from people for thinking greener is better,get it all removed,more power better fuel,less drain on your pocket with main dealer only parts an hassle.give me an auld chappy diesel or a a petrol car with points a dizzy an carb any day.

birmingham

"I have a diesel zafira. It needs a good kicking every couple of weeks. Hade the centre and rear sections replaced including the DPF and CAT, cost me £370 fitted which isn't bad considering last year it would have cost me nearly £1000 just to buy the parts!

DPFs are a pain in the ass if you don't do the mileage on the motorway. But if you can regularly blast it up and down the motorway, they aren't a problem.

"

I intend to blast it up the motorway each month, I don't do to many miles these days so I think that should keep it working ok, if it becomes a regular problem I will have the bloody thing removed

By *andm288Couple  over a year ago

oxford

I have to agree with some previous posts the DPF & EGR are a license to print money take both out & remap you will get your money back in fuel saved over 12 - 18 months easily

By *andm288Couple  over a year ago

oxford

I have to agree with some previous posts the DPF & EGR are a license to print money take both out & remap you will get your money back in fuel saved over 12 - 18 months easily

"I have a diesel zafira. It needs a good kicking every couple of weeks. Hade the centre and rear sections replaced including the DPF and CAT, cost me £370 fitted which isn't bad considering last year it would have cost me nearly £1000 just to buy the parts!

I intend to blast it up the motorway each month, I don't do to many miles these days so I think that should keep it working ok, if it becomes a regular problem I will have the bloody thing removed "

Learn how to clean your EGR valve and do it every six months. It's a simple job and WILL save you money and hassle very quickly...

If you do take it for a blast on thw motorway, take the family. The engine needs to be working hard to create enough heat in the exhaust to burn away all the carbon deposits. So mire weight in car more work it has to do andmore heat created

"If you do take it for a blast on thw motorway, take the family. The engine needs to be working hard to create enough heat in the exhaust to burn away all the carbon deposits. So mire weight in car more work it has to do andmore heat created"

Nope.

The ECU has a set parameter for performingng a regen and will adjust itself to perform it, no need to add weight or extra load. To force a regen all you should need to do is to run the car for around 30-40 at 70ish mph in 4th gear...

"If you do take it for a blast on thw motorway, take the family. The engine needs to be working hard to create enough heat in the exhaust to burn away all the carbon deposits. So mire weight in car more work it has to do andmore heat created

Nope.

The ECU has a set parameter for performingng a regen and will adjust itself to perform it, no need to add weight or extra load. To force a regen all you should need to do is to run the car for around 30-40 at 70ish mph in 4th gear..."

That should have said 30-40 minutes...

"Don't buy a Ford

As much as I agree with that statement this problem is something that affects all modern turbo diesel engined cars. You can thank the Americans for it and the bloody stupid Californian emissions regulations...."

I think you should thank the stupid English government really for following the U.S.

we should have advised car manufacturers of what etc emissions come out of the exhaust not how they do make it do it?

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

I would say dump the tractor engined car and by something with a petrol V8... The only time I'm not smiling is when I'm putting petrol in...

"Don't buy a Ford

As much as I agree with that statement this problem is something that affects all modern turbo diesel engined cars. You can thank the Americans for it and the bloody stupid Californian emissions regulations....

I think you should thank the stupid English government really for following the U.S.

we should have advised car manufacturers of what etc emissions come out of the exhaust not how they do make it do it?"

It's nothing to do with the English government following the Americans, our emissions regulations are far different to theirs. It's the motor companies building engines for all markets that are to blame and you can't really blame them for not wanting to build a different spec'd engine for each individual country can you?!

Basically the modern turbo diesel engine is built to be sold, unmodified, in all countries and states. Which means it must comply with the strictest of all to begin with. That happens to be the Californian Emissions Regs, hence why they all have DPF's, EGR's & MAP sensors, which are also the 3 most common failures due to dirt/soot contamination on any diesel fueled car...

» Add a new message to this topic