FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Too young for school

Too young for school

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Where do you stand on the debate about the right age for children to start school?

The Finnish system is being lauded for it's success rate at exams and university entrants. No fees, fully subsidised meals, pathway to learning pre-school but formal school not starting until 6/7.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *pecifically1Woman  over a year ago

Hull

"Where do you stand on the debate about the right age for children to start school?

The Finnish system is being lauded for it's success rate at exams and university entrants. No fees, fully subsidised meals, pathway to learning pre-school but formal school not starting until 6/7.

"

I think it can differ greatly from child to child. I have come across children at 4 who were more than ready and needed to be at school yet others at 7 who were only just getting to that stage

Unfortunately it has to be a one size fits all system...

"Where do you stand on the debate about the right age for children to start school?

I think it can differ greatly from child to child. I have come across children at 4 who were more than ready and needed to be at school yet others at 7 who were only just getting to that stage

Unfortunately it has to be a one size fits all system..."

Do we set the age too low on the basis that a few are ready at 4/5?

By *pecifically1Woman  over a year ago

Hull

Do we set the age too low on the basis that a few are ready at 4/5?"

I suspect and it is only my suspicion it is to give children time to complete their education without turning out of school at 20. A start age of 7 may mean that some kids take that long. That would have a knock on to the job market, population growth etc. Churning them out at 16 or 17 as I now think it might be gives them time to resit qualifications etc and catch up.

At the other end of the system I could have gone to uni at 17 but chose to stay on at school for another year as I was not mature enough to cope.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think the age of starting school is great. Children are able and willing to learn at 4/5. What I don't agree with is going to school for 5 days a week and for so long at such a young age. I have a child and she's knackered! She does swimming and gymnastics as a extra activity and its embarrassing to say she does more hours in education and exercise than I do with anything!

"

Do we set the age too low on the basis that a few are ready at 4/5?

I suspect and it is only my suspicion it is to give children time to complete their education without turning out of school at 20. A start age of 7 may mean that some kids take that long. That would have a knock on to the job market, population growth etc. Churning them out at 16 or 17 as I now think it might be gives them time to resit qualifications etc and catch up.

At the other end of the system I could have gone to uni at 17 but chose to stay on at school for another year as I was not mature enough to cope."

Using the Finnish example again, they have a variable leaving age but it is usually 16/17. Which is similar to ours but they are achieving better success rates. Switzerland it's 15.

"I think the age of starting school is great. Children are able and willing to learn at 4/5. What I don't agree with is going to school for 5 days a week and for so long at such a young age. I have a child and she's knackered! She does swimming and gymnastics as a extra activity and its embarrassing to say she does more hours in education and exercise than I do with anything! "

Don't be embarrassed, find something to do using her example to inspire you.

Interesting thread... In Canada children start school as early as age 3. (They need to be age 4 by jan1). Far too young in my opinion.

Mrs

By *andWCouple  over a year ago

Pontypridd

Children start school at 3 here, many will start on or in the few days after their third birthday, I had never thought about it being too young as it's all I know x

we are childminders...our formal education starts too early which is recognised at some level by the playful curriculum of reception and year one...a childs hand and wrist muscles are not properly developed until they are 6!

"Interesting thread... In Canada children start school as early as age 3. (They need to be age 4 by jan1). Far too young in my opinion.

Mrs "

Is that school or nursery? We have nursery (kindergarten) from 3 too. Is it just Ottawa? Although I don't remember my little cousin starting school until she was four and half and she's in Ontario too.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I have no experience of children but I guess 6 seems right

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Haven't read whole post. I didn't start school til well past 5 as that was mostly norm early 70s n mam n dad didn't believe in shunting kids off (their words). I was excellent reader, decent maths n fair social skills - not having sprogs meself can't really comment, but I'm fairly well rounded (shut it you lot) and think if patents teach kids themselves then it don't matter if they're a bit later gan to school

"Children start school at 3 here, many will start on or in the few days after their third birthday, I had never thought about it being too young as it's all I know x"

Gosh most 3 yr olds are still potty learning here. Do they need to be potty learned to go?

"I have no experience of children but I guess 6 seems right"

You were one once, I hope. It may have been a long time ago but those early days tend to be lodged in your brain somewhere.

I started school just under 3 and when I came to this country at 5 and had to go to school I was further along academically than the children I was with. I didn't understand the dressing up box and playtime as I was used to going to school in a uniform, sitting with a slate and chalk and learning by rote.

I'm not sure it was good for me to start that early. Learning to play came after learning to learn for me.

"Haven't read whole post. I didn't start school til well past 5 as that was mostly norm early 70s n mam n dad didn't believe in shunting kids off (their words). I was excellent reader, decent maths n fair social skills - not having sprogs meself can't really comment, but I'm fairly well rounded (shut it you lot) and think if patents teach kids themselves then it don't matter if they're a bit later gan to school "

Patents? I know you're getting your slap on and I'm jealous of your plans but I had to rub that one in. That's four now Caz.

"Children start school at 3 here, many will start on or in the few days after their third birthday, I had never thought about it being too young as it's all I know x

Gosh most 3 yr olds are still potty learning here. Do they need to be potty learned to go?

"

It has been an issue over here. Children are supposed to be toilet trained by the time they attend but teachers I know working in early years report having to train the children in their care as parents haven't bothered.

By *andWCouple  over a year ago

Pontypridd

"Children start school at 3 here, many will start on or in the few days after their third birthday, I had never thought about it being too young as it's all I know x

"

Yes they need to be toilet trained and be able to dress and undress themselves so they can do PE, they mostly spend a week doing half days before going full time, and that's the school they stay at till they are 11 x

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What is education ?

I'm serious.

Some are talking about nursery and others about formal learning.

Do you mean going to school or getting an education ?

"Interesting thread... In Canada children start school as early as age 3. (They need to be age 4 by jan1). Far too young in my opinion.

Mrs

Is that school or nursery? We have nursery (kindergarten) from 3 too. Is it just Ottawa? Although I don't remember my little cousin starting school until she was four and half and she's in Ontario too.

"

The schools are provincially based. So i can only speak for ontario. We have (optional junior ), senior kindergarten then primary grades. Maybe she went right in to senior kindergarten?

They won't take the children if they are not potty learned and that delays alot of 3 yr olds from starting.

It has been an issue over here. Children are supposed to be toilet trained by the time they attend but teachers I know working in early years report having to train the children in their care as parents haven't bothered.

"

If your child has an "accident" here. You need to drop everything, go to the school & clean them up. The staff can't help them. (Unless its a special needs student). That stops ppl from sending them bf thier ready. Nobody likes that call at work. Lol

Mrs

The schools are provincially based. So i can only speak for ontario. We have (optional junior ), senior kindergarten then primary grades. Maybe she went right in to senior kindergarten?

They won't take the children if they are not potty learned and that delays alot of 3 yr olds from starting. "

Thanks. If they had a bit of a choice I know my cousin, her mother, and my aunt, her grandmother, would decide to keep her at home a bit longer.

"What is education ?

I'm serious.

Some are talking about nursery and others about formal learning.

Do you mean going to school or getting an education ?"

I'm actually talking about formal learning. I struggle with the question of education. The Latin route to lead out and bring up. I don't think we do much of either in the formal education system. We do training.

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"Haven't read whole post. I didn't start school til well past 5 as that was mostly norm early 70s n mam n dad didn't believe in shunting kids off (their words). I was excellent reader, decent maths n fair social skills - not having sprogs meself can't really comment, but I'm fairly well rounded (shut it you lot) and think if patents teach kids themselves then it don't matter if they're a bit later gan to school

Patents? I know you're getting your slap on and I'm jealous of your plans but I had to rub that one in. That's four now Caz. "

Nooooooooooooo! Where's the nearest hossie to Ealing Broadway...I'm bleeding out here

» Add a new message to this topic