FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Free cupboard door catches

Free cupboard door catches

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman  over a year ago

evesham

So.....apparently households in Glasgow wth children aged 3 - 4 months are being given free cupboard door catches due to cases of children being poisened by biting the liquitab things for washing your clothes.

Is it just me who finds this ridiculous?? isnt the irst thing you do when having a baby actually baby proofing your house?

Also, who lets a baby loose in the kitchen without supervising them? At 3 months old they arent very mobile so cant nip in the kitchen while you are having a fag really.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't see the harm if it saves just one child having a trip to hospital it has to be worth it.

evesham

"I don't see the harm if it saves just one child having a trip to hospital it has to be worth it."

didnt say there was a harm but it just seems that again parents are relying on other people to protect their children

We got a safety pack as part of the new baby Bounty stuff

"I don't see the harm if it saves just one child having a trip to hospital it has to be worth it.

didnt say there was a harm but it just seems that again parents are relying on other people to protect their children"

But it doesn't say they are they are just giving the catches out on mass most won't really need them. I don't see what the problem is really.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

A lot of Weegies don't have doors on their kitchen cupboards. They make good kindling.

Maybe they should just make the liquitab boxes childproof so they can't open them. If they can seriously harm children then they shouldn't be in such an easy to open the box. Like medicine and chemical cleaners are

"A lot of Weegies don't have doors on their kitchen cupboards. They make good kindling."

Seriously tho,if you don't have the common sense to childproof cupboard doors when there's a toddler about,then how the hell did you manage to procreate in the first place!

By *uckyinlustMan  over a year ago

manchester

"So.....apparently households in Glasgow wth children aged 3 - 4 months are being given free cupboard door catches due to cases of children being poisened by biting the liquitab things for washing your clothes.

Is it just me who finds this ridiculous?? isnt the irst thing you do when having a baby actually baby proofing your house?

Also, who lets a baby loose in the kitchen without supervising them? At 3 months old they arent very mobile so cant nip in the kitchen while you are having a fag really."

If your mother was a pot smoking, alcoholic on anti-depressants then you would need protecting from anything harmful...........................

I'm not having a go at the Glaswegians here , they should give them to anyone who needs them , but .......................

Who is gonna fit them ????

They will end up in the cupboard with the lemonade............(bleach)..................................

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

would it not be just as easy to keep dangerous products out of reach ..they dont have to be kept under the kirltchen sink

Some parents are total idiots. It's shocking that they have to give them away to try and save the kids. (some) parents should be more responsible.

Glasgow

"Maybe they should just make the liquitab boxes childproof so they can't open them. If they can seriously harm children then they shouldn't be in such an easy to open the box. Like medicine and chemical cleaners are "

They tried that but some parents couldn't open them either.

"Maybe they should just make the liquitab boxes childproof so they can't open them. If they can seriously harm children then they shouldn't be in such an easy to open the box. Like medicine and chemical cleaners are "

And who pays for that? Everyone else cos they can't be arsed to move it higher or childproof dangerous cleaning products...

evesham

once again expecting other people to legistlate for peoples incompetencies.

this is why bottle lids have open by hand on them (because some kinky americans injured themselves opening them with other body parts) and why we have 'may contain nuts' on snickers bars

its a cleaning product - of course its not for human consumption. teach your kids not to play in the cleaning cupboard or move the cleaning stuff out of harms way until they are old enough to know better. why does it have to be the responsibility of who ever is sending these things out to lok after your kids

(your meaning a generic your, not the person i quoted)

evesham

phew, thanks guys, thought i was the only one!! lol

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I don't see the harm if it saves just one child having a trip to hospital it has to be worth it.

didnt say there was a harm but it just seems that again parents are relying on other people to protect their children"

or whoever is giving them out is being overly cautious. I don't think parents are demanding catches or asking other people to safeguard their kids. I suspect this is in part a response to the increasingly litigious culture in which we live.

Glasgow

"......

And who pays for that? Everyone else cos they can't be arsed to move it higher or childproof dangerous cleaning products... "

ROSPA (I think)

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Some parents are total idiots. It's shocking that they have to give them away to try and save the kids. (some) parents should be more responsible. "

my son drank Jif (Cif) when he was about 2...what does that make me?

Glasgow

"Some parents are total idiots. It's shocking that they have to give them away to try and save the kids. (some) parents should be more responsible.

my son drank Jif (Cif) when he was about 2...what does that make me? "

I poured a bottle of turps over me when I was two. I had to climb on top of the piano to get to it.

Lol. Ain't it amazing the amount of people that hear something on the news, then jump on the bandwagon with all guns blazing!

These catches that are being handed out, it is an initiative because 9 children in the last 6-7years have bitten into a liqui tab and been poisoned. All have survived though thankfully. So, because of this, the nhs are handing out catches until the liqui tab makers childproof their boxes. Sometime this year.

And you then blame the parents for being neglectful! Get a grip.

"Some parents are total idiots. It's shocking that they have to give them away to try and save the kids. (some) parents should be more responsible.

my son drank Jif (Cif) when he was about 2...what does that make me? "

Surely it depends on how he got it.

evesham

"Lol. Ain't it amazing the amount of people that hear something on the news, then jump on the bandwagon with all guns blazing!

These catches that are being handed out, it is an initiative because 9 children in the last 6-7years have bitten into a liqui tab and been poisoned. All have survived though thankfully. So, because of this, the nhs are handing out catches until the liqui tab makers childproof their boxes. Sometime this year.

And you then blame the parents for being neglectful! Get a grip."

where did i say negligent? show me the post where i said it

all i am saying is that whilst accidents do happen why should it be the responsibility of the NHS to baby proof peoples homes?

it is everyones duty to educate and protect

maybe, if people were more interested, many horrific cases could be prevented.

"Lol. Ain't it amazing the amount of people that hear something on the news, then jump on the bandwagon with all guns blazing!

all i am saying is that whilst accidents do happen why should it be the responsibility of the NHS to baby proof peoples homes?"

Its an 'initiative'!! The parents probably already have the catches installed. My point is, people listen to the media and automatically blame the parents.

all i am saying is that whilst accidents do happen why should it be the responsibility of the NHS to baby proof peoples homes?

Its an 'initiative'!! The parents probably already have the catches installed. My point is, people listen to the media and automatically blame the parents."

or some folk just like to whinge and moan about everything and anything ? Opinions are like arseholes we all have them but sometimes they need to be bunged

think all child safety equipment should be given out to those who need it and ask for it ...not given out on mass

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

is it a consequence of Scots being tight and not giving the kids sweets like the rest of the country..?

Its an 'initiative'!! The parents probably already have the catches installed. My point is, people listen to the media and automatically blame the parents.

or some folk just like to whinge and moan about everything and anything ? Opinions are like arseholes we all have them but sometimes they need to be bunged "

Couldn't agree more!

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

I don't have kids but if i did i would make sure cleaning products and dangerous chemicals were put up in a high cupboard and out of reach.

No doubt it will be the tax payer being hit yet again to pay for these new door catches?

"is it a consequence of Scots being tight and not giving the kids sweets like the rest of the country..?

"

Not at all. Thats why we don't lock our cupboards up!

manchester

Hope all you peeps on here have got locks on your bedroom doors .............

Don't want little johnny crawling in and finding some toys do we ..................

Glasgow

".........

all i am saying is that whilst accidents do happen why should it be the responsibility of the NHS to baby proof peoples homes?"

It's not.

The funding is from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.

The catches are being delivered by Health visitors from Greater Glasgow and Clyde Health Board as part of their normal visits. 16,000 cupboard catches in total.

There's been 3 kids in intensive care this year. How many more would there have been in future without catches being fitted?

How much would that have cost compared to supplying these catches?

"I don't have kids but if i did i would make sure cleaning products and dangerous chemicals were put up in a high cupboard and out of reach.

No doubt it will be the tax payer being hit yet again to pay for these new door catches?

"

Yeah. The tax payer getting hit for a 5p piece of plastic!

Glasgow

Nobody moans when the fireys supply and fit smoke detectors in homes free of charge.

Is that just 'cos fireys are sexier than health visitors?

manchester

I'm going for pint ...............see ya.

maybe its just me .....but a kitchen is not a safe area for kids to play in ...got 5 children and i never had to child proof anywhere from a very early age they got told no and move away .....

"Nobody moans when the fireys supply and fit smoke detectors in homes free of charge.

Is that just 'cos fireys are sexier than health visitors?"

Good god. Shouldn't it be the parents that install them?

in Lancashire

"Nobody moans when the fireys supply and fit smoke detectors in homes free of charge.

Is that just 'cos fireys are sexier than health visitors?"

no, its because a functioning fire alarm may well save you and your families lives..

in Lancashire

Good god. Shouldn't it be the parents that install them?"

ideally yes but folks don't bother for a myriad of reasons..

evesham

Good god. Shouldn't it be the parents that install them?"

yes they should

evesham

"I don't have kids but if i did i would make sure cleaning products and dangerous chemicals were put up in a high cupboard and out of reach.

Yeah. The tax payer getting hit for a 5p piece of plastic! "

well if it only costs 5p then the parents can go and buy it thmselves surely????

Maybe parents just need to pay more attention to what their kids are up to instead of relying on others to do it for them.

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Buy a playpen !

well if it only costs 5p then the parents can go and buy it thmselves surely????"

As i stated! Most parents probably HAVE installed them! Its a fecking initiative due to 3 kids biting into a liqui tab and being poisoned. The company that supplies the tabs are making their boxes childproof later in the year. The news item was more about the dangers of liqui tabs rather than the catches!!!

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

well if it only costs 5p then the parents can go and buy it thmselves surely????"

My thoughts exactly.

But the next thing is they will want someone to install the catches for them, thus adding more cost to the bill. My guess is tradesmen won't be doing it on the cheap.

evesham

well if it only costs 5p then the parents can go and buy it thmselves surely????

As i stated! Most parents probably HAVE installed them! Its a fecking initiative due to 3 kids biting into a liqui tab and being poisoned. The company that supplies the tabs are making their boxes childproof later in the year. The news item was more about the dangers of liqui tabs rather than the catches!!!"

not the news story i read, it was mainly about the free catches (cant find it now though lol) there was no examples of what symptoms it causes or how to treat it until you get to the hospital etc

As i stated! Most parents probably HAVE installed them! Its a fecking initiative due to 3 kids biting into a liqui tab and being poisoned. The company that supplies the tabs are making their boxes childproof later in the year. The news item was more about the dangers of liqui tabs rather than the catches!!!

not the news story i read, it was mainly about the free catches (cant find it now though lol) there was no examples of what symptoms it causes or how to treat it until you get to the hospital etc"

It was on earlier. 3 kids hospitalised due to biting into the tab, 1 serious condition due to swallowing the contents and had to get reconstructive surgery on his voice box. The other 2 kids were in and out horpital fairly quick though.

Glasgow

"........ there was no examples of what symptoms it causes or how to treat it until you get to the hospital etc"

I'm guessing 'cos I don't use them but it probably tells you what to do 'if swallowed' on the packet.

My thoughts exactly.

But the next thing is they will want someone to install the catches for them, thus adding more cost to the bill. My guess is tradesmen won't be doing it on the cheap."

ah but in the real world they wont cost the consumer 5p they will be hiked up at retail cost.in bq etc they are a few quid not cheap. If your on a very low income or benefits it may be the difference between spending the cash or feeding the kids. Yes we can argue to give up a fag or a can of special brew but people are human. If even 1 kid is protected I dont begrudge my 5p tax for that. Suppose people whinged about the cost of clunk klick campaigns or the green cross code adverts too.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I poured a bottle of turps over me when I was two. I had to climb on top of the piano to get to it."

Your parents should have asked someone to install a piano guard obviously.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Surely it depends on how he got it."

I had cleaned the bath my daughter called me, I put the jif down momentarily, turned to see to my daughter, son drank jif. Its that easy.

I poured a bottle of turps over me when I was two. I had to climb on top of the piano to get to it.

Your parents should have asked someone to install a piano guard obviously.

"

Or battered him for wasting a perfectly good cocktail!

"maybe its just me .....but a kitchen is not a safe area for kids to play in ...got 5 children and i never had to child proof anywhere from a very early age they got told no and move away ....."

Same as mine , I never moved anything out of reach or put it behind locks. I watched my children and any children that came into my house. They were taught from as soon as they became mobile what they could and could not touch.

How will the Rab C Nessbits of this world get into the food cupboards? They could starve!

Surely it depends on how he got it.

I had cleaned the bath my daughter called me, I put the jif down momentarily, turned to see to my daughter, son drank jif. Its that easy. "

That was an accident, and not what I was referring to at all. x

"How will the Rab C Nessbits of this world get into the food cupboards? They could starve! "

They don't call them food cupcoards in glasgow! They call them drinks cabinets.

» Add a new message to this topic