FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Schools

Schools

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *o-j OP   Couple  over a year ago

Outskirts of Notts

Just watched the news and a school in the midlands have introiduced a new lesson , cooking not the full on how to make a meal all they are teaching is how to make a balti , with the headmaster saying it will help them get a job ........

Sorry if this sounds like a rant , but I really cant comprehend it .

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I wish I'd done cooking at school

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"........ all they are teaching is how to make a balti , with the headmaster saying it will help them get a job ........

Sorry if this sounds like a rant , but I really cant comprehend it ."

It's that or permit more qualified chefs/cooks to enter the country from India/ Pakistan to do the job.

Your call.

Currie are good but rather have a Sunday roast.

Remember cooking classes in school. Always started of with that pink coconut cake. Bloody lovely it was

how will cooking any meal get you a job? unless your training to be a chief or cook I cant see how it will help at all

By *o-j OP   Couple  over a year ago

Outskirts of Notts

"how will cooking any meal get you a job? unless your training to be a chief or cook I cant see how it will help at all"

My point exactly and to only teach one meal .

"I wish I'd done cooking at school"

you are not the only one, i am a good cook but only out of a jar.

By *amie0151Man  over a year ago

Wallasey

"Just watched the news and a school in the midlands have introiduced a new lesson , cooking not the full on how to make a meal all they are teaching is how to make a balti , with the headmaster saying it will help them get a job ........

A balti...? I prefer a chicken tarka It's like a chicken tikka but a little bit otter lol

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I wish I'd done cooking at school

you are not the only one, i am a good cook but only out of a jar."

That's more of a re-heater really, isn't it?

"how will cooking any meal get you a job? unless your training to be a chief or cook I cant see how it will help at all"

Yes, you're right there. But I guess it teaches you how to be independent from an early age.

By *ark Gr8 Teddy BearMan  over a year ago

Wigan

Cooking really should be on the curriculum. Its a need in life. It should be a prerequisite in education. I know kids who can't even make toast. No I'm not joking. English maths and cooking. Things you will need in life.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

is it a one off class??

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

If the available jobs in the area are for balti chefs then it will help young people to get those jobs.

Cooking, not just the theory but actual cooking, should be in all schools and followed up at home with parents and family.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I like to cook ma own curries, source all fresh ingredients, use a mortar & pestle for the spices and a blender for other ingredients

If they teach 'em how to do a Beef Buffad Id'd be mightily impressed

Well if you only learn to cook one meal in your life - you could do much worse!

Wigan

"If the available jobs in the area are for balti chefs then it will help young people to get those jobs.

Cooking, not just the theory but actual cooking, should be in all schools and followed up at home with parents and family.

"

holy crap I actually agree with you on something.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Beats me!

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I used to think cooking lessons were a waste of precious resources - I am not so sure now as I see young people at uni not having a clue on basic food hygiene, cooking a simple meal unless it comes out of a frozen ready meal packet.

I actually believe now that it should be included in a fun way at a much earlier stage.

London

"Cooking really should be on the curriculum. Its a need in life. It should be a prerequisite in education. I know kids who can't even make toast. No I'm not joking. English maths and cooking. Things you will need in life. "

Cooking should be the domain of parents.

"Cooking really should be on the curriculum. Its a need in life. It should be a prerequisite in education. I know kids who can't even make toast. No I'm not joking. English maths and cooking. Things you will need in life.

Cooking should be the domain of parents. "

I agree with your last statement as well - but I think it should also be supported at school. Some kids only know Macdonalds and Pizza at home and that is because their parents do not know any better. So to break the cycle...and come back to the basics I think it would be good to deal with it in both ways.

London

"I used to think cooking lessons were a waste of precious resources - I am not so sure now as I see young people at uni not having a clue on basic food hygiene, cooking a simple meal unless it comes out of a frozen ready meal packet.

I actually believe now that it should be included in a fun way at a much earlier stage. "

I learnt to cook at nine: West Indian food. My husband and I taught our daughters.

evesham

"Cooking really should be on the curriculum. Its a need in life. It should be a prerequisite in education. I know kids who can't even make toast. No I'm not joking. English maths and cooking. Things you will need in life.

Cooking should be the domain of parents. I agree with your last statement as well - but I think it should also be supported at school. Some kids only know Macdonalds and Pizza at home and that is because their parents do not know any better. So to break the cycle...and come back to the basics I think it would be good to deal with it in both ways."

I agree with this. i used to enjoy home ec at school, picking out recipes, getting the ingredients and sharing what i cooked with the family when i got home.

By *icked weaselCouple  over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

"I used to think cooking lessons were a waste of precious resources - I am not so sure now as I see young people at uni not having a clue on basic food hygiene, cooking a simple meal unless it comes out of a frozen ready meal packet.

I actually believe now that it should be included in a fun way at a much earlier stage. "

Are you sure thats a Good Idea.. i grew up 80`s and All we were ever taught was to Bake Cakes etc !!!

[Removed by poster at 11/09/13 22:29:54]

I learned to cook in my 20's when I left home. What I learned at school was not really worth knowing but was fun at the time. It's never to late to learn most things are on you tube now anyway.

Wayne

I actually believe now that it should be included in a fun way at a much earlier stage.

Are you sure thats a Good Idea.. i grew up 80`s and All we were ever taught was to Bake Cakes etc !!! "

I was never taught any cooking at school... ooops. Not even a little Victoria sponge

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

My nephew has made pasta bakes, bread, salads, chicken and a few other things in his one term of cooking. He followed it up at home by making my birthday cake this year and he made a prawn curry.

It's a pity he can only have cooking lessons for only one term a year but he has really enjoyed it and it has made him want to cook more.

Our boys took cookbooks to bed tonight to choose recipes to bake cakes for their friends birthday next week.

Cooking should be taught in schools, AND at home.

I learnt to cook at nine: West Indian food. My husband and I taught our daughters. "

You had a husband and daughters at the age of nine?! Lol

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

I think the real issue is will Indian restaurants employ local kids. They often use family members as staff as they can pay lower wages.

"I think the real issue is will Indian restaurants employ local kids. They often use family members as staff as they can pay lower wages. "

You don't have to be Indian to sell a curry

evesham

"I think the real issue is will Indian restaurants employ local kids. They often use family members as staff as they can pay lower wages.

You don't have to be Indian to sell a curry"

No but I seem to recall them being exempt from equal opportunities when hiring staff. They cab choose an Indian person over another race because it will affect the authentic feel of their business.

Might be tosh but it's buzzing in my head for some reason

Cooking is (or was very recently) part of both the primary and secondary curriculum. In primary, it may be something basic such as making bread, or pizza, or if limited facilities sandwich making. I'm almost sure it is treated as a cross curricular activity, touching on science and personal/social health (nutrition) Literacy (Menu/recipe activity) Numeracy (Weight) and Art.

In secondary education some cooking is (should be) done, simple ragu, pizza, shortbread, scones. Health and nutrition is taught too.

By *irtyDee33Woman  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

"Cooking really should be on the curriculum. Its a need in life. It should be a prerequisite in education. I know kids who can't even make toast. No I'm not joking. English maths and cooking. Things you will need in life. "

Absolutely!!!!!

I was mistaken, it was part of the curriculum, many primary's do food/nutrition based activity. It still is part of Design Technogy in secondary education.

Good news is ...

It is being reintroduced as part of the curriculum. Not just cookery but growing crops too. Childhood obesity is at the forefront as to the reintroduction.

We did home ec at school. I remember my and my mates made calf's brain soup.

By *utty FruttyCouple  over a year ago

south wales

I do like to cook, knock out a decent roast & my 2 girls like to help, they do cookery in school but I'm yet to sample it as they go to thire mums after school b4 coming home & they eat it there, my oldest 14, have made spag bol & jacket patato for my youngest 11, & fairplay she aint burnt nothing yet lol, but I do think cooking lesson are good but more options other than curry,

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

I have read all the posts with interest and after listening to our local news about this story, I have rather a large smile. The head teacher is trying to promote life skills to his pupils, with the added benefit that you might be able to make a career out of what you enjoy. For those that have not visited the area, Curry houses out number any other restaurant by over four to one. Unemployment is up around the ten percent mark with youth unemployment a lot higher. The head teacher is trying to gain funding for other such activities in his school and as such media attention can help the school achieve this.

I truly believe that cooking is a life skill that should be taught at all levels of education besides at home. Good food is a foundation stone for a good diet to help with a good mind and builds up to so much more.

London

I learnt to cook at nine: West Indian food. My husband and I taught our daughters.

You had a husband and daughters at the age of nine?! Lol "

Gee...aren't we amusing!

There is some ignorance on this thread. I work in a school snd can tell you first hand that due to modern poor parenting kids don't know about healthy eating, can't cook snything and think m&m's and a redbull is sn ideal start to the day. Schools are told by ofsted they have to teach it. What in? A history lesson? School's don't teach 'cooking' they teach Food Technology. It's nit the 1950s anymore. Food Tech classes do teach this, teach basic cooking, teach how food is prepared on an industrial scale and is in fact 'a trade'.

How many restaurants, pubs, cafes, hotels etc are there in the UK? Thousands and thousands. That's a lot of jobs. We will always need people to cook food. It's a job/trade for life if you can hack the hours.

Anyway, of the posters on here, exactly how many of you have actively taught your kids to cook more than 10 meals? Sone will have done but most won't have

dudley

"There is some ignorance on this thread. I work in a school snd can tell you first hand that due to modern poor parenting kids don't know about healthy eating, can't cook snything and think m&m's and a redbull is sn ideal start to the day. Schools are told by ofsted they have to teach it. What in? A history lesson? School's don't teach 'cooking' they teach Food Technology. It's nit the 1950s anymore. Food Tech classes do teach this, teach basic cooking, teach how food is prepared on an industrial scale and is in fact 'a trade'.

How many restaurants, pubs, cafes, hotels etc are there in the UK? Thousands and thousands. That's a lot of jobs. We will always need people to cook food. It's a job/trade for life if you can hack the hours.

Anyway, of the posters on here, exactly how many of you have actively taught your kids to cook more than 10 meals? Sone will have done but most won't have"

My daughter is almost eight, she cooks, she bakes and at the moment is learning the coffee machine . I was brought up be self enabled not just in the kitchen, but laundry, cleaning and house maintenance. A lot of life skills come from your parents if you are lucky.

I had this conversation yesterday at work. Cooking is a basic skill in life everyone does it every single day at school so why not teach it? Who needs French lessons!? I had two French lessons a week in high school, I couldn't ask you anything apart from how are you and what is your name!? In French. I didn't have a single cooking lesson in the whole of my school life! and growing up with just my dad meant food that came straight from the freezer to the oven. No wonder there's so much obesity....

Any skills that use co ordination, maths, and communication, will help get you a job, just by interacting with each other helps people get a job.

Being able to feed yourself, will help get you a job and survive in the real world.

many youngsters have never made a cup of tea, boiled an egg or cooked raw food, so by learning basic skills, of course it helps you in life and that includes work.

"School's don't teach 'cooking' they teach Food Technology. It's nit the 1950s anymore. Food Tech classes do teach this, teach basic cooking, teach how food is prepared on an industrial scale and is in fact 'a trade'."

That would be cooking then!

Agree with you though - fast food, ready made meals, supermarkets, two working parents/single parents etc. mean many parents wouldn't know how to teach their children to cook.

When i was at school i took home ec to leran to cook for my dad and sister after my mum had buggered off. It wasnt what i expected. We hardly learned to cook anthing, the focus was on homes,decorating, budgeting, weights and measures etc

So i learned the only other way, trail and error at home

At 14 i had to cook a christmas dinner for 12

Fast forward, when my stepdaughter came to live with us aged 14, i taught her how to cook and now grandson is old enough ive started with him

I now cook for a living and take time to teach the student waiting staff how to make cheap easy healthy dishes

I have found though that even though many parents can and do cook, they also do too much for the chilldren. One lass im friendly with was bemoaning she had 20 school books to back that night, her kids are 13 and 15 and they didnt know how to!!

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"Just watched the news and a school in the midlands have introiduced a new lesson , cooking not the full on how to make a meal all they are teaching is how to make a balti , with the headmaster saying it will help them get a job ........

Think its a great idea.

Think of it in later life when they have left school, a guy gets a girl friend who went to that school.

Now he gets sex and a balti Result !

dudley

Think its a great idea.

Think of it in later life when they have left school, a guy gets a girl friend who went to that school.

Now he gets sex and a balti Result !"

Sam you reliving your teens again

Solihull

Think its a great idea.

Now he gets sex and a balti Result !

Sam you reliving your teens again "

I can but dream

I think he means that it will help get a job as they have some planning and working to a time table skills.

Back in my day we did home economics or cooking. How do a plan and full 3 course meal. No out of tin at all. But to be honest I could do most of it anyway. As my mom show how to cook.

I find it very odd school not still do this. A school is not just getting your GCSE, it for preparing you for the rest of your life. With the skill sets need for your life. How to cook a meal is one of them I say.

me and my microwave are great cooks.

Near Edinburgh..

"Back in my day we did home economics or cooking. How do a plan and full 3 course meal. No out of tin at all. But to be honest I could do most of it anyway. As my mom show how to cook.

I find it very odd school not still do this. A school is not just getting your GCSE, it for preparing you for the rest of your life. With the skill sets need for your life. How to cook a meal is one of them I say.

"

You grew up in the same Era as myself and id be surprised if your Home economics class never had the odd food fight or someone fooling around in Class !!

Can You Imagine The Up-Roar.. if one of these little Darlings Got Burned on a Cooker or cut a finger on a Knife nowadays !!!

Schools cant risk it anymore.. sad fact

Wigan

"Back in my day we did home economics or cooking. How do a plan and full 3 course meal. No out of tin at all. But to be honest I could do most of it anyway. As my mom show how to cook.

You grew up in the same Era as myself and id be surprised if your Home economics class never had the odd food fight or someone fooling around in Class !!

Can You Imagine The Up-Roar.. if one of these little Darlings Got Burned on a Cooker or cut a finger on a Knife nowadays !!!

Schools cant risk it anymore.. sad fact "

That's another thing. If you get burned on a pan or cut your finger with a knife its your fault. I got cut and burned in school and it was my fault. I didn't pay attention. If the teacher had stabbed me ok, but they didn't. Children need to learn to cook. Its a real life skill. It should be taught in schools and at home. Also things like basic sewing, putting on a button etc. I think this whole culture of where there's blame there's a claim is wrong. People should take responsibility for falling in the street. To me there's only 1 reason for it, they weren't looking where they were going raised flags etc or not.

Home economics needs to come back big time. The end lol

"

Schools cant risk it anymore.. sad fact "

Like you said "a very sad fact" But we have to agree with you 100% in what you're saying!

Near Edinburgh..

That's another thing. If you get burned on a pan or cut your finger with a knife its your fault. I got cut and burned in school and it was my fault. I didn't pay attention. If the teacher had stabbed me ok, but they didn't. Children need to learn to cook. Its a real life skill. It should be taught in schools and at home. Also things like basic sewing, putting on a button etc. I think this whole culture of where there's blame there's a claim is wrong. People should take responsibility for falling in the street. To me there's only 1 reason for it, they weren't looking where they were going raised flags etc or not.

Home economics needs to come back big time. The end lol"

Totally Agree 100%..

But some kids will drop their i-phones in the cake mixture or even a healthy soup and you will get the one kid who deliberatly gets burned just to go and have a perv at the nearly Paramedic status school nurse...

pending insurance claim from mummy and daddy for the school not making sure the cooker was safe enough for them not to get burned !!! worth a few grand on the insurance..

but at a cost of 10k upwards for the taxpayers..

yeah bring back cooking.. we think its a great idea !!!

just not in this culture..

we couldnt teach the kids of any religion to even make a Curry..

Just incase any products werent Nut-free and Vegetarian or non vegan..

nevr mind Horse-Meat..

Not everything you read in the Daily Mail is true!

Glasgow

"Not everything you read in the Daily Mail is true!"

I'd even be suspicious of the date on the front page.

Solihull

balti capital of the uk and a huge shortage of chefs so there are jobs but it would need to be a proper balti chef coming into the school and not mrs smith from home economics doing it with a tescos balti sauce

"

I truly believe that cooking is a life skill that should be taught at all levels of education besides at home. Good food is a foundation stone for a good diet to help with a good mind and builds up to so much more. "

This

Wigan

Home economics needs to come back big time. The end lol

Totally Agree 100%..

But some kids will drop their i-phones in the cake mixture or even a healthy soup and you will get the one kid who deliberatly gets burned just to go and have a perv at the nearly Paramedic status school nurse...

pending insurance claim from mummy and daddy for the school not making sure the cooker was safe enough for them not to get burned !!! worth a few grand on the insurance..

but at a cost of 10k upwards for the taxpayers..

yeah bring back cooking.. we think its a great idea !!!

just not in this culture..

we couldnt teach the kids of any religion to even make a Curry..

Just incase any products werent Nut-free and Vegetarian or non vegan..

nevr mind Horse-Meat.. "

I think they shouldn't have phones in school to begin with. And if they get burned it should be a life lesson, get parents to sign a waver if necessary.

Near Edinburgh..

balti capital of the uk and a huge shortage of chefs so there are jobs but it would need to be a proper balti chef coming into the school and not mrs smith from home economics doing it with a tescos balti sauce "

Well - They Maybe make it better than the NUT-FREE and Vegetarian.. as well as the RICE being from an Background that Produces my eco friendly plasticy/Paper cups. by the millions.

Before you Add the Kids That are allowed to eat "Free-Range"..#

How Many people DIED From eatin Eating peanuts in the 70`s and 80`s

dont ever remember meeting any... x

Solihull

balti capital of the uk and a huge shortage of chefs so there are jobs but it would need to be a proper balti chef coming into the school and not mrs smith from home economics doing it with a tescos balti sauce

Well - They Maybe make it better than the NUT-FREE and Vegetarian.. as well as the RICE being from an Background that Produces my eco friendly plasticy/Paper cups. by the millions.

dont ever remember meeting any... x"

que ?

"Well - They Maybe make it better than the NUT-FREE and Vegetarian.. as well as the RICE being from an Background that Produces my eco friendly plasticy/Paper cups. by the millions.

I haven't met many dead people either.

You seem to have missed the point that schools are teaching it.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Don't believe everything you read in the papers. And cooking - ir food tech - is still on the curriculum.

Solihull

"Don't believe everything you read in the papers. And cooking - ir food tech - is still on the curriculum. "

I kid you not a mates son had cooking so they sent home a list of ingredients

finger roll

hot dogs

ketchup(optional)

Glasgow

"Don't believe everything you read in the papers. And cooking - ir food tech - is still on the curriculum.

I kid you not a mates son had cooking so they sent home a list of ingredients

finger roll

hot dogs

ketchup(optional)

"

Probably far more likely to make that than a balti.

Solihull

ps its not just cooking a balti, I forgot the proper name for it but they are launching a scheme to run alongside normal education exams which gives pupils some skills relevant to Birmingham. hence the balti is only one of the subjects.

Glasgow

" ........ but they are launching a scheme to run alongside normal education exams which gives pupils some skills relevant to Birmingham. hence the balti is only one of the subjects.

"

Stealing cars?

Solihull

" ........ but they are launching a scheme to run alongside normal education exams which gives pupils some skills relevant to Birmingham. hence the balti is only one of the subjects.

Stealing cars?"

pot.... kettle....black

We had "home economics" when I was at school which was essentially cookery classes. I pride myself on being quite a reasonable cook - I'm not Gordon Ramsey - but I'd like to think I'm pretty good

This wasn't only down to those classes in school, I was also involved in cooking at home.

Should it be taught in schools?.... Yes! It's another one of those skills that will be beneficial in life to people themselves, and a skill that is being lost generationally like many others.

Will it ensure those who are taught go on the get a guaranteed job?.... Not really, but we all need English and mathematics as a base starter which everyone is taught in school... And all those who went to school and were taught these things have no guarantees either.

"

Anaphylactic shock (the allergy) kills a few hundred each year. While that may be a small number out of 70 million people, it's a big deal to the victim and the families, all due to a lack of info, not lack of care or lack of intelligence

I found home economics a waste of time. I could already cook, sew, knit and crochet. I wanted to do woodwork and metalwork but wasn't allowed as I was a girl. Thank god that they don't stop girls doing dt now.

Glasgow

Back when I went to secondary school (66-72), there were quite a few girls in my year took woodwork, metalwork, technical or engineering drawing and mechanics.

The domestic science option was available for boys but I reckon more than a few were put off by the fact it was called housewifery.

"Back when I went to secondary school (66-72), there were quite a few girls in my year took woodwork, metalwork, technical or engineering drawing and mechanics.

The domestic science option was available for boys but I reckon more than a few were put off by the fact it was called housewifery."

I was at school in the 70s too. You must have been in a progressive school.

Cooking should be the domain of parents. I agree with your last statement as well - but I think it should also be supported at school. Some kids only know Macdonalds and Pizza at home and that is because their parents do not know any better. So to break the cycle...and come back to the basics I think it would be good to deal with it in both ways.

I agree with this. i used to enjoy home ec at school, picking out recipes, getting the ingredients and sharing what i cooked with the family when i got home."

At school we made a recipie book, made by the whole year group. Used to love taking food home to eat.

Nowadays it's all too easy to eat ready meals etc. I know because i fall Into that trap due to time restraints. Lets teach them the art of cooking again.

» Add a new message to this topic