FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Speed camera's and the police offer of a class.

Speed camera's and the police offer of a class.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hand on heart and I will admit .....yes I got caught fair and square 36 in a 30 mph area I was speeding end of.

First offence and a clean slate for over 40 years so was offerd a " speed awareness course " @ £92.00 a lot cheaper than a fine and points !!!.

The course lasted all day and was interesting ...well mostly.

I did listen and learnt something and not just about speed !!! but how little I knew about the highway code.

At the end of the course I was given a brand new modern highway code !!!!.

My how things have changed and I drive daily with my job and took it all for granted with out catching up.

Not now though .

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Well done you I'm sure you'll be keeping your eye on your speedometer from now on

It's good that you got something out of the humbling experience and that the police were a bit more lenient with you.

"Well done you I'm sure you'll be keeping your eye on your speedometer from now on "

I certainly willthat course taught me a lot obviously I didn't want to be there ....but who does!!.

The moral of this thread....don't speed.

"Hand on heart and I will admit .....yes I got caught fair and square 36 in a 30 mph area I was speeding end of.

First offence and a clean slate for over 40 years so was offerd a " speed awareness course " @ £92.00 a lot cheaper than a fine and points !!!.

I did listen and learnt something and not just about speed !!! but how little I knew about the highway code.

My how things have changed and I drive daily with my job and took it all for granted with out catching up.

Not now though ."

I tried all the tricks .......

Police pictures of me speeding.

Calibration certificate of the days camera's.

Was their vehicle allowed to park where it was legally !!.

And the police answered it all correctly I also found out its at THEIR discretion and not mandatory to offer you a class...... I crawled back under my stone and accepted their offer even after the hassle I gave them they still offered me a course.

By *taffsfella1Man  over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

"The moral of this thread....don't speed."

Or maybe just don't get caught

By *taffsfella1Man  over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

By the way, were you speeding to live up to your username? lol

Hands up who does know the highway code

Sometimes I think we should all have a compulsory refresher course

By *iker ladMan  over a year ago

Hinckley

Christ! I'm gonna be late for church!!!!!

By *ungle-FeverCouple (FF)  over a year ago

Bristol/Gloucester

"Hands up who does know the highway code

Sometimes I think we should all have a compulsory refresher course "

I must admit I need a revision session on the Highway Code

When you pass your test and sign that piece of paper, you are signing to agree to keep up to date and know any changes.

highway code isnt just for learners to buy

By *RYBBWCouple  over a year ago

Leeds.

Apparently 36mph is the average speed people get caught doing in a 30 zone.....

It's also nice to see someone owning up to it and not whining about how they were "caught" and it's so unfair.

Speed limit has a key word in it "limit" not speed target of speed minimum.

Drive at 70 on a motorway or 30 in a 30

Zone and traffic backs up as no one is doing 30 or 70

"Hand on heart and I will admit .....yes I got caught fair and square 36 in a 30 mph area I was speeding end of.

Not now though .

And the police answered it all correctly I also found out its at THEIR discretion and not mandatory to offer you a class...... I crawled back under my stone and accepted their offer even after the hassle I gave them they still offered me a course.

."

Wow you were lucky they didn't just hit you with the points. Fair play though. It is high time the speed limit was raised to 80 and the plod spend more effort catching and keeping off the road all the illegal drivers and generally dangerous drivers.

"Well done you I'm sure you'll be keeping your eye on your speedometer from now on

I certainly willthat course taught me a lot obviously I didn't want to be there ....but who does!!.

The moral of this thread....don't speed."

Or don't get caught

Not now though .

Wow you were lucky they didn't just hit you with the points. Fair play though. It is high time the speed limit was raised to 80 and the plod spend more effort catching and keeping off the road all the illegal drivers and generally dangerous drivers."

Not generally staffed by police, but by road safety partnerships who are usually funded by local authorities.

Its all civilianised.

By *hocksandmissusCouple  over a year ago

Chester-ish

I once got done for doing 32 in a 30 zone and have to admit at the time did think it was just a little on the harsh side but as explained to me try driving at 28 instead of 32 and oooo by the way heres your 3 points and £60 fine so very nice of them xxxx

"I once got done for doing 32 in a 30 zone and have to admit at the time did think it was just a little on the harsh side but as explained to me try driving at 28 instead of 32 and oooo by the way heres your 3 points and £60 fine so very nice of them xxxx"

The guys in the centre I attended said exactly the same thing to me to...drive at 28 instead of 32 and if the person behind doesn't like it wave him to pass you by !!!!! the guy in front will get the fine and points not you if caught !!!.

Also they taught you about "Red mist" a phenomenon in lay mans terms......temper !!! just step back take a breath and carry on .....no road rage try it ...it works.

Just don't speed and you wont get caught ..here endeth the lesson

Is it still the case that they insist you do the "class" in the area where you got caught speeding even if it's 400 miles from home, even when they hold the same classes locally?

Seems a ridiculous and inefficient waste of resources if its still so.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

When I got caught they sent a letter with FAQs on the back. One of them was 'why haven't I been offered a course?' and the reply was 'you were driving too fast'.

Having said that, I got pinched by the speed camera on the A1 at Oakham so would have had to take the course in Lincolnshire. Taking the points was cheaper, and have now expired.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I was rather taken by the idea of 'smart' sat-nav devices which not only know which road you're on but know the speed limit for that road and won't allow your vehicle to exceed it.

There was some incomprehensible explanation about what happens if you need to accelerate in a hurry to avoid danger but I don't suppose that's an insurmountable problem.

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

"I was rather taken by the idea of 'smart' sat-nav devices which not only know which road you're on but know the speed limit for that road and won't allow your vehicle to exceed it.

There was some incomprehensible explanation about what happens if you need to accelerate in a hurry to avoid danger but I don't suppose that's an insurmountable problem."

That is one answer, but why just not speed! We are getting more and more taken away from our driving that soon we will have nothing to do but get bored and fall asleep! I always keep as far over to the left as possible (in the lanes) when on a dual carriageway, that way there is a frequent need to change lanes and it keeps me more alert.

With speed, I generally tend to follow the GPS reading on the in car nav. It is more accurate than the car speedo and I stay about 5mph below.

Just one thing. I think you would have to be really unlucky to get nicked for 32 in a 30 zone! I have not found a speedo that is that accurate! Most at 30 will be out by 2 or 3 mph so you may think you are OK! That is the reason for the 10% + 2mph rule that our (Northants) police go by..

B/j while driving always takes you over the limit lol

"Apparently 36mph is the average speed people get caught doing in a 30 zone....."

That's because most people hover up near 40mph on their speedo in a 30mph limit. Nearly all speedos over-read between 5%-10%. 40-4 = 36!

"Just one thing. I think you would have to be really unlucky to get nicked for 32 in a 30 zone! I have not found a speedo that is that accurate! Most at 30 will be out by 2 or 3 mph so you may think you are OK! That is the reason for the 10% + 2mph rule that our (Northants) police go by.. "

Speedos are not allowed to under-read, they can only over-read. It is only if someone has stuck stupidly larger circumference wheels on their car will a speedo under-read.

ACPO guidelines are set as a guide for the police to follow if they so wish. If however the police want to they can book you for doing 31mph in a 30mph limit (some areas run zero tolerance policies now and then). ACPO guidelines for speeding is where the 10% +2mph comes from.

"

Is it still the case that they insist you do the "class" in the area where you got caught speeding even if it's 400 miles from home, even when they hold the same classes locally?

Seems a ridiculous and inefficient waste of resources if its still so."

I was caught in Derbyshire and when the N.I.P notice of intended prosecution came in the post was offerd a speed awareness course from various providers including where I lived in Leicester and the surrounding counties.

The price varied from £92.00 up to £180.00 and I was offered carte blanche which one I chose and where to take it which was convenient to me not where I was caught.

The only provisor was I took the course and competed it in one day then no points no fine and you don't have to tell your insurer.

You can only be offered one course in a three year period.

"

I was caught in Derbyshire and when the N.I.P notice of intended prosecution came in the post was offerd a speed awareness course from various providers including where I lived in Leicester and the surrounding counties.

The price varied from £92.00 up to £180.00 and I was offered carte blanche which one I chose and where to take it which was convenient to me not where I was caught.

The only provisor was I took the course and competed it in one day then no points no fine and you don't have to tell your insurer.

You can only be offered one course in a three year period. "

Thx for the answer.

"

You can only be offered one course in a three year period.

Thx for the answer."

No problem hope it helps ....the secret is...don't speed then you wont have to go through with it !!!

» Add a new message to this topic