FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Age extension to statutory education

Age extension to statutory education

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

What do you think?

It will reduce the figures for youth unemployment but do we have enough teachers and places for the extra sixth formers created today?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"What do you think?

It will reduce the figures for youth unemployment but do we have enough teachers and places for the extra sixth formers created today?

"

No extra 6th formers created. All are required to continue education until 18 anyway fairly soon, but that can be at several different levels.

This just makes it clear that part of that education must be Maths and English.

I think its a good thing one of my boys has tried so hard to get a job over the summer with no joy....he was gonna stay on anyway but if not he would be wasting his time at home doing nothing.

You can leave school on the last Friday in June, as long as you’ll have turned 16 by the end of that school year’s summer holidays. However, you may need to stay in some form of education or training for longer.

Example

You can leave school at the end of June 2013 if you turn (or have already turned) 16 in August 2013.

Staying in education or training in England until you’re 17 or 18

In England, if you’re currently in year 11 you must stay in some form of education or training until the end of the academic year when you turn 17.

If you’re currently in year 10, then you have to stay in some form of education or training until the end of the academic year when you turn 18.

This doesn’t have to mean staying in school, it can be:

full-time education, eg at a school or college

an apprenticeship

full-time employment (over 20 hours a week) combined with part-time education or training

Scotland

In Scotland, if you turn 16 between 1 March and 30 September you can leave school after 31 May of that year.

If you turn 16 between 1 October and the end of February you can leave at the start of the Christmas holidays in that school year.

By *livia_KWoman  over a year ago

South London

"

You can leave school on the last Friday in June, as long as you’ll have turned 16 by the end of that school year’s summer holidays. However, you may need to stay in some form of education or training for longer.

Example

You can leave school at the end of June 2013 if you turn (or have already turned) 16 in August 2013.

Staying in education or training in England until you’re 17 or 18

In England, if you’re currently in year 11 you must stay in some form of education or training until the end of the academic year when you turn 17.

If you’re currently in year 10, then you have to stay in some form of education or training until the end of the academic year when you turn 18.

This doesn’t have to mean staying in school, it can be:

full-time education, eg at a school or college

an apprenticeship

full-time employment (over 20 hours a week) combined with part-time education or training

Scotland

In Scotland, if you turn 16 between 1 March and 30 September you can leave school after 31 May of that year.

If you turn 16 between 1 October and the end of February you can leave at the start of the Christmas holidays in that school year.

"

I am all for it

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"What do you think?

"

Yes we do. What we don't have is money for proper pastoral care, a wide range of courses, proper administration, equipment etc. The FE colleges have seen quite a drop in enrolments in the past few years so they have places and lots of schools have extended or opened sixth form provision. As usual though the government expects increased provision for decreased funding.

"I think its a good thing one of my boys has tried so hard to get a job over the summer with no joy....he was gonna stay on anyway but if not he would be wasting his time at home doing nothing."

Sad thing is who is to say jobs will be available on couple years time it has its merits but more to do with manipulating employment figures as election due in couple of years.

There is a current shortage of maths teachers.

I hope resources follows the numbers.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I think its a good thing one of my boys has tried so hard to get a job over the summer with no joy....he was gonna stay on anyway but if not he would be wasting his time at home doing nothing.

Sad thing is who is to say jobs will be available on couple years time it has its merits but more to do with manipulating employment figures as election due in couple of years."

I read somewhere that the way in which employment figures are calculated have changed 22 times since they were introduced so that makes it jolly tricky to find a real actual figure, if there is one.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"There is a current shortage of maths teachers.

I hope resources follows the numbers.

"

I'm afraid you hope in vain.

By *ollie_JCouple  over a year ago

London

And the private sector companies are stepping up to the plate. Well they do have serious tax breaks for doing so. Apprenticeship schemes in white collar jobs (especially IT) are now available, some actually pay for you to study at the OU.

In theory a great idea, to prepare our youth for being employable (though education isn't just about passing exams and getting a qualification ).

Couple of issues I believe:

There are some pupils who cannot achieve those objectives in literacy and numeracy skills, are they to be branded some sort of failure ?

As highlighted, where's the extra funding ? I imagine those staying on in order to gain results to achieve in exams they already struggle with. Will they get more one on one time ?

Nice dream academy idea.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

" In theory a great idea, to prepare our youth for being employable (though education isn't just about passing exams and getting a qualification ).

Couple of issues I believe:

There are some pupils who cannot achieve those objectives in literacy and numeracy skills, are they to be branded some sort of failure ?

As highlighted, where's the extra funding ? I imagine those staying on in order to gain results to achieve in exams they already struggle with. Will they get more one on one time ?

Nice dream academy idea. "

Absolutely agree that education is about so much more than passing exams.

There are many levels of literacy and numeracy so that most students can achieve a pass at some level and those that truly can't are never branded as failures.

There is no money for more one on one time but the provision is fairly good currently.

What I think we'll see is more emphasis on the academic subjects that need fewer resources in the way of buildings and equipment, that way you get the funding per student with smaller outlay

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"What do you think?

Yes we do. What we don't have is money for proper pastoral care, a wide range of courses, proper administration, equipment etc. The FE colleges have seen quite a drop in enrolments in the past few years so they have places and lots of schools have extended or opened sixth form provision. As usual though the government expects increased provision for decreased funding."

By *obbygggMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

Oh blimey. The slappers used to get pregnant in order to get a council flat. Now they'll do it(get pregnant) just to avoid school.If they went in the first place that is.

By *athnBobCouple  over a year ago

sandwell

" In theory a great idea, to prepare our youth for being employable (though education isn't just about passing exams and getting a qualification ).

"

Not according to government. Schools are judged on results which are measured by pupils passing exams. Until this changes you are not going to provide a well rounded education system that caters for all abilities.

Birmingham

Not according to government. Schools are judged on results which are measured by pupils passing exams. Until this changes you are not going to provide a well rounded education system that caters for all abilities. "

How else do you measure educational success?

By *eryBigGirlWoman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

"What do you think?

"

Certainly not after seeing the comments on fb by many kids going to the local collages. Many had over subscribed hoping that some will fail to achieve the required grades and now there aren't enough places and yet my daughters high recently opted to stop at year 11 so therefore no 6th form places there!!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Oh blimey. The slappers used to get pregnant in order to get a council flat. Now they'll do it(get pregnant) just to avoid school.If they went in the first place that is."

slappers?

Birmingham

"Oh blimey. The slappers used to get pregnant in order to get a council flat. Now they'll do it(get pregnant) just to avoid school.If they went in the first place that is.

slappers?"

Yrs that's what we call the ne'er do wells who use(abuse) the system. Don't you have them where you live? Lucky you if you don't.

I feel it's the governments way of stopping the freedom of 17-18 year olds. And keeps them off the street and out of trouble.

I think it is a bad idea. Whilst I agree it is good to increase education, I can't see extra funding to supplement the changes and I don't think there would be sufficient jobs out there for them anyway. I have my doubts for the reasons for this, considering the cuts that have been made in education and welfare. All in all, I don't think this will work. And I think the young ones will hate the idea they now have to spend more time being bullied and receiving no respect from the teachers. This may be good in posh schools, but what about most schools across the uk that have high failure rates? This could just turn our youths more against authority than they already are.

"Oh blimey. The slappers used to get pregnant in order to get a council flat. Now they'll do it(get pregnant) just to avoid school.If they went in the first place that is.

slappers? Yrs that's what we call the ne'er do wells who use(abuse) the system. Don't you have them where you live? Lucky you if you don't. "

Maybe if we educate them to get a broader sense of life, culture,appreciation and self worth in addition to just getting a grade in an exam we and THEY won't have to be the so called slapper as you put it.

Many youths have no ambition or aspirations. Yes this is a problem, but as adults,parents,employers and public sector workers we should try and teach them that not just bin them because they're hard work ?

Birmingham

slappers? Yrs that's what we call the ne'er do wells who use(abuse) the system. Don't you have them where you live? Lucky you if you don't.

Maybe if we educate them to get a broader sense of life, culture,appreciation and self worth in addition to just getting a grade in an exam we and THEY won't have to be the so called slapper as you put it.

Many youths have no ambition or aspirations. Yes this is a problem, but as adults,parents,employers and public sector workers we should try and teach them that not just bin them because they're hard work ?"

They bin themselves and are quite happy to make that their lifestyle choice. It's their human rights innit?

slappers? Yrs that's what we call the ne'er do wells who use(abuse) the system. Don't you have them where you live? Lucky you if you don't.

Many youths have no ambition or aspirations. Yes this is a problem, but as adults,parents,employers and public sector workers we should try and teach them that not just bin them because they're hard work ? They bin themselves and are quite happy to make that their lifestyle choice. It's their human rights innit?"

In a very simplistic manner yes they do, however they become a problem for society if we do nothing, and scratch below the I don't give a toss, I'm hard exteriors and you'll find a rather sad individual probably wanting a lot more. We have to teach them.

Children learn what children live.

Birmingham

Many youths have no ambition or aspirations. Yes this is a problem, but as adults,parents,employers and public sector workers we should try and teach them that not just bin them because they're hard work ? They bin themselves and are quite happy to make that their lifestyle choice. It's their human rights innit?

In a very simplistic manner yes they do, however they become a problem for society if we do nothing, and scratch below the I don't give a toss, I'm hard exteriors and you'll find a rather sad individual probably wanting a lot more. We have to teach them.

Children learn what children live."

Worked with these types at 2 different housing offices here in sunny B'ham.They made decent people's(the majority)lives a misery.They know exactly what they are doing from the outset.

Many youths have no ambition or aspirations. Yes this is a problem, but as adults,parents,employers and public sector workers we should try and teach them that not just bin them because they're hard work ? They bin themselves and are quite happy to make that their lifestyle choice. It's their human rights innit?

Children learn what children live. Worked with these types at 2 different housing offices here in sunny B'ham.They made decent people's(the majority)lives a misery.They know exactly what they are doing from the outset."

I'm sure there will always be examples, and the process starts at home. But where will this go if we decide shunning such people is the answer.

Education is the basis of all we do and most youths respond well to praise and sense of achievement not being written off. Its a tough task I dont deny.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

slappers? Yrs that's what we call the ne'er do wells who use(abuse) the system. Don't you have them where you live? Lucky you if you don't. "

We certainly have young women who for many reasons become single parents, we.usually find that.a young man was involved in the process at some point, what abusive name do you have for them?

[Removed by poster at 03/09/13 08:29:52]

I don't see how they are going to enforce it I have worked in this sector in the past tracking school leavers is a nightmare. Staffing numbers have been reduced to make matters worse.

The service I used to work for had 35 staff im 2007 now they have 7.

It will work for many kids those who want to opt out should be able to pretty easily.

But it wont reduce figures in unemployment, I really dont think it will. English and maths proficiency has never reduced crime so why would it?

All it might do is force out many generations worth of people that have gone before and been successful enough in employment with substandard grades because, change the game in school and it changes the standard of recruitment.

Gove really is such a fucking busybody.

Birmingham

We certainly have young women who for many reasons become single parents, we.usually find that.a young man was involved in the process at some point, what abusive name do you have for them?"

Scum.

Birmingham

"But it wont reduce figures in unemployment, I really dont think it will. English and maths proficiency has never reduced crime so why would it?

All it might do is force out many generations worth of people that have gone before and been successful enough in employment with substandard grades because, change the game in school and it changes the standard of recruitment.

Gove really is such a fucking busybody."

Busybody? He's the Minister for Education.What do you expect him to do?

"Oh blimey. The slappers used to get pregnant in order to get a council flat. Now they'll do it(get pregnant) just to avoid school.If they went in the first place that is."

What a crass post! FYI the "slappers" are normally on the pill. You, sir, have no concept of the cycle of deprivation!

you nasty little man shame on you !

We certainly have young women who for many reasons become single parents, we.usually find that.a young man was involved in the process at some point, what abusive name do you have for them?"

Utterly offensive comment. Would go on but would get a ban.

Cali

We certainly have young women who for many reasons become single parents, we.usually find that.a young man was involved in the process at some point, what abusive name do you have for them? Scum."

Come on Bobby, Im trying to be objective here, but!!

Only recently you were complaining about football fans being stereotyped, and here you are making sweeping statements like that about single mums and their dads.

Im sure there are some deplorable people out there, but if thats youre outlook on a large section of society then thats going to leave you a very sad and bitter individual dont you think?

Back on track with the thread I think......which essentially is the importance of education, the foundation of everything we become in essence.

you nasty little man shame on you !"

I have to agree this member's attitude is in the gutter.

Birmingham

What a crass post! FYI the "slappers" are normally on the pill. You, sir, have no concept of the cycle of deprivation!"

Really? because I don't make exscuses for ne'er do wells? They're on the pill eh? 2 Questions.

1/.How do you know that?

2// They all have kids so how does that work?

What a crass post! FYI the "slappers" are normally on the pill. You, sir, have no concept of the cycle of deprivation!Really? because I don't make exscuses for ne'er do wells? They're on the pill eh? 2 Questions.

1/.How do you know that?

2// They all have kids so how does that work? "

you really are THAT ignorant?

Some people really do amaze me.. anyway I dare not start on the young mums bit as the comments have me utterly livid.

Anyway my girls are both planning on staying on at school anyway. One starts 6 form in a few days.. the other year 10.. I think it's good.. and will help the kids stay focused.

What a crass post! FYI the "slappers" are normally on the pill. You, sir, have no concept of the cycle of deprivation!Really? because I don't make exscuses for ne'er do wells? They're on the pill eh? 2 Questions.

1/.How do you know that?

2// They all have kids so how does that work? "

Sorry I have got to ask... What about the teenage mums that carry on at school and do well... Or are they slappers too.

"Some people really do amaze me.. anyway I dare not start on the young mums bit as the comments have me utterly livid.

Anyway my girls are both planning on staying on at school anyway. One starts 6 form in a few days.. the other year 10.. I think it's good.. and will help the kids stay focused. "

You and me both. Bobby can stay ignorant. Cousteau has tried educating him to no avail so I cba!

my teen chose to stay on in sixth form last year, thankfully. My youngest won't have that option but I'm fine with that.

Ok I have to state the obvious: one fuck can make a baby. One fuck therefore does not make a slapper!

sounds like he needs to go bk to get a bit of education himself

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Ok I have to state the obvious: one fuck can make a baby. One fuck therefore does not make a slapper!

"

Leaving aside the unforgivable emotive language, contraceptive methods are available everywhere you look nowadays - isn't getting pregnant a conscious decision in 2013?

"Ok I have to state the obvious: one fuck can make a baby. One fuck therefore does not make a slapper!

Leaving aside the unforgivable emotive language, contraceptive methods are available everywhere you look nowadays - isn't getting pregnant a conscious decision in 2013?"

It fails. It's not 100%... And actually many teenage pregnancies happen from one offs... It's not something many school children think about and keeping the baby is a big decision...

I have yet to meet a teenage mum that planned to be pregnant.

Glasgow

"..............

Leaving aside the unforgivable emotive language, contraceptive methods are available everywhere you look nowadays - isn't getting pregnant a conscious decision in 2013?

It fails. It's not 100%... And actually many teenage pregnancies happen from one offs... It's not something many school children think about and keeping the baby is a big decision...

I have yet to meet a teenage mum that planned to be pregnant."

Either before or immediately after is just about 100% - that's before we get into the realms of termination.

The problem may be, as you suggest, "It's not something many school children think about......"

Perhaps they should.

Leaving aside the unforgivable emotive language, contraceptive methods are available everywhere you look nowadays - isn't getting pregnant a conscious decision in 2013?"

Why unforgiveable? I was using terminology a certain person could not fail to comprehend!

As for pregnancy being a choice? For the most part yes. Then you come into a forum such as this and discover men who state safe sex forget their condoms! This suggests to me that, regardless of age, contraception is still the ultimate responsibility of the female. So we then go back to the youths... Come on we all know the scenarios...

"..............

I have yet to meet a teenage mum that planned to be pregnant.

Either before or immediately after is just about 100% - that's before we get into the realms of termination.

The problem may be, as you suggest, "It's not something many school children think about......"

Perhaps they should."

I fell pregnant on the pill as a late teen. By the time I knew I was pregnant it was a very late pregnancy. I lost it so haven't gained the glorious title of slapper. It was traumatic discovering a pregnancy at 17 weeks and trying to decide what to do.

We don't trust young people with financial decisions or the vote until 18 yet we expect them to be perfectly au fait with making sexual health choices? Adults take the risk on a one off quickie and should know better, young people aren't in quite the same position.

I've got pregnant on contraception 3 times. Hence I now have two forms and pretty much always use condoms too.. so it's not 100%. Failings on the pill are quite high to be honest. Yes some are from not taking it right. But not all.

I know people that have got caught on the coil, injection and implants.

It's not always as easy as saying they should think about it. I went to put my 15 year old on the pill to help with her bad periods. Because she isn't sexually active they refused...

Told her to come back once she is planning too. Was talking to one of her friends who needed emergency contraception. She won't go to her doctor as she believes they have to tell her parents.

So they do need to realise they can go and no one will tell anyone.

No one is a slapper.

Even the most sexually promiscuous of people are still human, capable of emotion both positive and negative.

You're right, we give them many choices and freedom and pieces of paper saying they are worth something to society yet sometimes we don't give them education about life.

Life's tough, you get the exam first then the lessons after.

" No one is a slapper.

Even the most sexually promiscuous of people are still human, capable of emotion both positive and negative.

You're right, we give them many choices and freedom and pieces of paper saying they are worth something to society yet sometimes we don't give them education about life.

"

Your last line has that ring of truth.

Glasgow

Why unforgiveable? I was using terminology a certain person could not fail to comprehend!

As for pregnancy being a choice? For the most part yes. Then you come into a forum such as this and discover men who state safe sex forget their condoms! This suggests to me that, regardless of age, contraception is still the ultimate responsibility of the female. So we then go back to the youths... Come on we all know the scenarios..."

I can't see what men 'forgetting' condoms has to do with teenage pregnancy.

That aside, as you point out, "contraception is still the ultimate responsibility of the female" - your body, your problem.

" No one is a slapper.

"

This forum is insightful to the chharacters within.

As for pregnancy being a choice? For the most part yes. Then you come into a forum such as this and discover men who state safe sex forget their condoms! This suggests to me that, regardless of age, contraception is still the ultimate responsibility of the female. So we then go back to the youths... Come on we all know the scenarios...

That aside, as you point out, "contraception is still the ultimate responsibility of the female" - your body, your problem."

I am going to see this post as a wind up cos no modern rational man would dare put that last line in!

My contraception with someone who does have that archaic and pathetic attitude is to hold two house bricks in my hands

That aside, as you point out, "contraception is still the ultimate responsibility of the female" - your body, your problem."

Isn't that part of the problem? As long as men feel that pregnancy is a female problem how can we get young men to appreciate it has something to do with them too?

Working with young men recently I was taken aback to find them even denying STIs were their problem as they were symptomless and much of the effect is on the female. As they didn't have symptoms it was nothing to do with them. Just as pregnancy is nothing to do with them then.

Birmingham

That aside, as you point out, "contraception is still the ultimate responsibility of the female" - your body, your problem.

Isn't that part of the problem? As long as men feel that pregnancy is a female problem how can we get young men to appreciate it has something to do with them too?

Working with young men recently I was taken aback to find them even denying STIs were their problem as they were symptomless and much of the effect is on the female. As they didn't have symptoms it was nothing to do with them. Just as pregnancy is nothing to do with them then."

Nothing to worry about. Apparently ythese girls opnly have sex once and get pregnant. Still I suppose someone who lives in Huntingdon(pop 20,000) meets so many of the people I describe.I bow my head to your superior life experience.

Glasgow

" ........

I am going to see this post as a wind up cos no modern rational man would dare put that last line in! ........"

Regardless of how politically incorrect it might sound, the fact remains that men don't get pregnant and aren't the ones ALWAYS left to clean up the mess.

In the context of what I believe the churches call 'a loving relationship', of course it's for both parties to take responsibility for decisions re contraception BUT that's not the scenario here.

This is 'banging in the bus shelter' sex and, if the female doesn't want to get pregnant, it's 100% down to her to ensure it doesn't happen.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

LoL!

Another half-baked policy to replace "The English Baccalaureate".

What a joke!

It is either tilting at windmills. (If after 10 years of education a person cant get a grade C in english and maths why does anyone think an extra year or two in school will improve their academic ability enough to reach the required standard?) Or is it a cynical ploy to further distort the unemployment figures before the next election? (How many are really unemployed but not counted as "employed" on zero hours contracts.)

"

.Nothing to worry about. Apparently ythese girls opnly have sex once and get pregnant. Still I suppose someone who lives in Huntingdon(pop 20,000) meets so many of the people I describe.I bow my head to your superior life experience. "

I will refrain from abusing the above poster due to my superior life experience

" ........

I am going to see this post as a wind up cos no modern rational man would dare put that last line in! ........

Regardless of how politically incorrect it might sound, the fact remains that men don't get pregnant and aren't the ones ALWAYS left to clean up the mess.

In the context of what I believe the churches call 'a loving relationship', of course it's for both parties to take responsibility for decisions re contraception BUT that's not the scenario here.

This is 'banging in the bus shelter' sex and, if the female doesn't want to get pregnant, it's 100% down to her to ensure it doesn't happen."

Rohipnol

Recreational drugs

Naivity

Peer pressure

Alcohol

No wonder young girls mature quicker than their male counterparts. They have so much more to handle than a stud getting his end away with very few consequences.

Oh for another international AIDs hysteria encouraging men to dress for the occasion.

My daughters I have nothing but empathy for you cos society does not seemed to have moved on in almost 30 years!

"

This is 'banging in the bus shelter' sex and, if the female doesn't want to get pregnant, it's 100% down to her to ensure it doesn't happen."

No it's always a two way street... I can't actually believe your saying it.. however I think a lot of men think the same.. or why else would they ask me to go bare and never ever been asked what contraception I'm using..(actually my regular playmate did ask but first guy ever.)

It does seem that this mentality is rife.

I flunked my maths at 16 and to escape my situation stuck a tin hat on and joined squaddie land.

Having come from a superior existence part of the world it was a shock. People from tough backgrounds, giving posh boy here a hard time. But I learnt that once thrust together most had the simple basic instincts in life.....to try and do well, to be happy and look after what's important.

Now I'm in a middle ranking job, having taken many courses and qualifications.

Many kids won't get opportunities unless we.....that's you, me, the state and their family look after them.

None of your business or not your problem ? Fine then don't comment on political issues.

Have a negative nasty attitude to everything and it simply becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Glasgow

"

This is 'banging in the bus shelter' sex and, if the female doesn't want to get pregnant, it's 100% down to her to ensure it doesn't happen.

No it's always a two way street... I can't actually believe your saying it.. however I think a lot of men think the same.. or why else would they ask me to go bare and never ever been asked what contraception I'm using..(actually my regular playmate did ask but first guy ever.)

It does seem that this mentality is rife. "

No . It OUGHT to be a two way street but anyone who thinks it IS ignores the reality.

" I flunked my maths at 16 and to escape my situation stuck a tin hat on and joined squaddie land.

Having come from a superior existence part of the world it was a shock. People from tough backgrounds, giving posh boy here a hard time. But I learnt that once thrust together most had the simple basic instincts in life.....to try and do well, to be happy and look after what's important.

Now I'm in a middle ranking job, having taken many courses and qualifications.

Many kids won't get opportunities unless we.....that's you, me, the state and their family look after them.

None of your business or not your problem ? Fine then don't comment on political issues.

Have a negative nasty attitude to everything and it simply becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. "

I love your mind :D

I actually was raised in the cycle of deprivation that I spoke about, and had to drag myself upwards so not to be a statistic. Damn damn hard. So unknown to the bleep above I actually know what I'm talking about, whereas he sits on the sidelines and judges.

I have empathy for people and would rather assist somehow than sit on my throne in judgement.

Oh and the bleep is Bobby, not Onny.

I use bleep, so that others' imaginations can insert something abusive within, without me getting a ban.

"

It does seem that this mentality is rife. "

This might need a thread all of its own.

» Add a new message to this topic