FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > It's not often I ask but advice needed

It's not often I ask but advice needed

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ok ladies and gents here goes wanting to wallpaper a feature wall in the bedroom, but I haven't a clue on which type of wallpaper to get, your help would be most welcome

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

What type? How about choosing one you like the look of lol

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Go for whatever design you like best and follow the paste mixing instructions for that type of paper. Avoid the paper from Next though. It's expensive and awful quality, it stretches, tears and doesn't trim well.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

ooooooooooo Good Q but it really depends on the look you are trying to achieve and who is going to see it / use it.

A few years ago I had my bedroom done out like a whores palace....... I thought it was lovely at the time. Totally tasteless.....

I hate it now and it can be a tad embarrasing at times. Family n all that

"Ok ladies and gents here goes wanting to wallpaper a feature wall in the bedroom, but I haven't a clue on which type of wallpaper to get, your help would be most welcome "

I prefer just painted on a plain wall.

Just to add my tuppence worth .......... as you know it will be soooo helpful ......... try getting enough to fit the wall without having to do it like a jigsaw .......... as you were

yeah thats ok I've seen a few I like but not sure if it's for the bedroom though

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

get a woman to choose it lol

"Ok ladies and gents here goes wanting to wallpaper a feature wall in the bedroom, but I haven't a clue on which type of wallpaper to get, your help would be most welcome

I prefer just painted on a plain wall."

now I have seen a colour that I like and it would work, so maybe

nice bold contrasting colour........ matching in with your bed covers etc .......nice teal colour , apparently bules in a bedroom means the guy is in charge lol

"Ok ladies and gents here goes wanting to wallpaper a feature wall in the bedroom, but I haven't a clue on which type of wallpaper to get, your help would be most welcome

now I have seen a colour that I like and it would work, so maybe "

if u do a plain wall, I'll come and do some crazy drawing on it for u???

Personally, I dont go in for patterned papers because when I get bored with it it needs stripping off and changing....

I prefer an anaglypta (sp) type paper, for the feature pattern, then paint....

But that's just me....

if u do a plain wall, I'll come and do some crazy drawing on it for u??? "

thats just plain naughty

thats just plain naughty "

I could be worse!!!

"Personally, I dont go in for patterned papers because when I get bored with it it needs stripping off and changing....

I prefer an anaglypta (sp) type paper, for the feature pattern, then paint....

But that's just me...."

thought of that too

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Ok ladies and gents here goes wanting to wallpaper a feature wall in the bedroom, but I haven't a clue on which type of wallpaper to get, your help would be most welcome "

Did you ask this before? Is it a wall directly opposite the door with a fireplace? Or am I getting mixed up in my dotage

Did you ask this before? Is it a wall directly opposite the door with a fireplace? Or am I getting mixed up in my dotage"

bedroom

A cousin of mine once painted a wall Matt black..... Then spent years covering it with filligree artwork, with a small brush and silver paint.....

Dont remember "Minxie woz. 'ere" anywhere in the detail....

Find your local Dulux trade centre and they carry a large selection of wallpaper books in stock n u can have them out on loan. Also requested samples can b sent to you thro the post.

John Lewis carries a good selection of pattern books if u have one u can get to n they'll also send samples.

Ditto Laura Ashley

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Don't buy cheap wall paper because you think it's saving you money. It will stretch when you put the paste on and tear when trying to hang it!

As for patterns it really does depend on GOUR taste. I like Big bold flowers etc and have some lovely wallpaper on my living room. Bit you can also get some nice leather panel effect paper (thinking manly lol) or even some that are Matt background with a shiny pattern on it in the same colour. Not so in your face but a bit different to draw the eye

A cousin of mine once painted a wall Matt black..... Then spent years covering it with filligree artwork, with a small brush and silver paint.....

Dont remember "Minxie woz. 'ere" anywhere in the detail.... "

u didnt look hard enough lol and there was a little chad looking over the wall too lol

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

Given the nature of the website where you have posted the question it can only be "wipe clean" wallpaper. That doesn't stain easily.

Given the nature of the website where you have posted the question it can only be "wipe clean" wallpaper. That doesn't stain easily. "

Cant remember where, but I have seen a wall stencil that looked like a big "splat" mark....

Given the nature of the website where you have posted the question it can only be "wipe clean" wallpaper. That doesn't stain easily. "

By *azzaahhWoman  over a year ago

north wales / chester

"nice bold contrasting colour........ matching in with your bed covers etc .......nice teal colour , apparently bules in a bedroom means the guy is in charge lol "

Explains why i'll never have a blue bedroom

By *azzaahhWoman  over a year ago

north wales / chester

[Removed by poster at 27/07/13 11:03:56]

Fuck it off and go down the pub.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Now Minxie, you know you're only allowed crayons and then only when supervised...

Our bedroom is the colours of my bouquet. One wall deep red and rest rich cream in flat matt

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I've dulux paint on three walls and dulux paper on the other, big flowers

Oooooop, interior design- I can do my 'in touch with my feminine side' routine

To decide on your colours, google complimentary colour wheel, colour theory and colour harmony- which will show you which colours sit well together (if you already have a colour in the room, use that as your reference) which can be used to make sure curtains, duvet, wall and floor coverings, accessories and soft furnishings work together.

Armed with a colour palette, find a good quality paper you like for the feature wall, if you're painting the other walls either choose a tone from your wallpaper or a colour from your complimentary palette.

If your walls aren't smooth plaster, fit a heavy liner paper laid horizontally- make sure edges butt but don't overlap (i do this on plastered wall too as it makes it easier to change the paper when you redecorate). Mark the paper width on the wall using a pencil then when you're ready to paste, cut your paper to length, paste the wall and the paper which will allow it to slide and adjust easier.

If you're painting freshly plastered walls, seal them with pva glue or plaster sealer first. If the plaster is rough or uneven, use liner paper hung vertically. Always make sure you paint before you do your feature paper too. Cut in the edges and ceiling line with a fine brush (I use artists paint brushes with a flat tip)

Remember to buy lots of masking tape (for paint edges) and some disposable knives or a good Stanley with extra blades ( for paper trimming) and have some sharp scissors to cut the paper and trim off excess length once its on the wall.

It's easier than you think, just try and get it done before the carpet fitters are due so you're not still up at 5am the night before finishing it off

Personally I just prefer painted walls... Not into wallpaper at all..

» Add a new message to this topic