FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Greyhound advice please ?

Greyhound advice please ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *allDarkFoxForYou OP   Man  over a year ago

Winchester/London

I'm a dog lover and have had 2 rescued dogs in the past.

I have signed up to a greyhound rescue centre and will be getting one soon.

I adore watching greyhounds run as it's sheer poetry in motion and I'm really excited to be getting my dream dog soon.

Could owners of greyhounds please give me advice re behaviour,exercise needs,food requirements and any other advice regarding this wonderful breed ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Don't have in the same house as toddlers and small animals - they are trained to chase small creatures.

But they make great pets.

Winchester/London

"Don't have in the same house as toddlers and small animals - they are trained to chase small creatures.

But they make great pets."

Are they ok with cats ?

By *eizvollWoman  over a year ago

in my own little world :-)

I used to train racing greyhounds - and have also had them as pets.

Generally a greyhound is lazy!! If it's an older dog it will sleep a lot Younger dogs are generally more excitable but still sleep a lot.

It does depend what age greyhound you're getting - but they don't need as much excercise as you think, 2 x 30min - 60min walks a day should be more than enough. If you can find a safe place to let them off then they will love it - but be warned, unless you're holding food in your hand in the kitchen, they're recall is generally non existent!!

For feeding make sure you have a stand for the bowls - they need them raised off of the floor or they will suffer. A retired greyhound does NOT need a high protein diet. Ask the home you get it from what it is currently fed on and if you want to change it - do it slowly, adding a little of the new food into the old food at a time - otherwise you will upset the dogs stomach. I used to feed mine a diet of complete biscuit, part canned food and pasta - with the occasional treat of raw offal.

They love company generally (they are nearly always kenneled in pairs) and some suffer a great deal with seperation anxiety - so I hope you will be around a lot.

Make sure they have a safe place to call their own - but if they can find a more comfortable spot - lik ethe sofa or your bed - they will, so if that's not what you want set the ground rules right from the start.

Oh - make sure you're vet is used to dealing with greyhounds - they react differently to anaesthetic to other dogs and it can cause problems if an operation is needed.

Did you know that greyhounds make great blood donors??

Generally they are the most loyal loving dogs and I'm sure you will get so much pleasure from their company.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Gawd! Yet ANOTHER dogging question! .

"Don't have in the same house as toddlers and small animals - they are trained to chase small creatures.

Are they ok with cats ? "

Most rescue centres "cat test" them before rehoming them so should be able to advise you whether yours is cat friendly or not.

Remember when you are out tho - they do have a high prey drive - another reson for making sure they are kept on a lead.

By *rsIdiotWoman  over a year ago

Bedworth

Greyhounds CAN live with small animals but only normally when they have been brought up with them from being small puppies. Retired racing dogs are best kept alone or with another grey for company.

The grey is known as the 30 mile an hour couch potato. They are essentially bone idle and are happiest when left to sleep most of the day on the sofa or your bed. Two 20 minute walks a day is enough exercise.

They are a sight hound and will often chase small animals like squirrels when out walking. Recall can often be a problem because of this so off leash walks are not recommended.

As for health, like a lot of larger, deep chested dogs, they can be susceptible to bloat. Read up on the symptoms just in case

Finally, enjoy your lovely new buddy.

I love my greyhound cross to bits and wouldn't change him for the world, even when he's behaving like a brat lol

Winchester/London

"Gawd! Yet ANOTHER dogging question! . "

Had an idea you'd be lurking with a nifty pun my friend

"Gawd! Yet ANOTHER dogging question! .

Had an idea you'd be lurking with a nifty pun my friend "

Couldn't resist it!

Winchester/London

"I used to train racing greyhounds - and have also had them as pets.

Generally a greyhound is lazy!! If it's an older dog it will sleep a lot Younger dogs are generally more excitable but still sleep a lot.

It does depend what age greyhound you're getting - but they don't need as much excercise as you think, 2 x 30min - 60min walks a day should be more than enough. If you can find a safe place to let them off then they will love it - but be warned, unless you're holding food in your hand in the kitchen, they're recall is generally non existent!!

For feeding make sure you have a stand for the bowls - they need them raised off of the floor or they will suffer. A retired greyhound does NOT need a high protein diet. Ask the home you get it from what it is currently fed on and if you want to change it - do it slowly, adding a little of the new food into the old food at a time - otherwise you will upset the dogs stomach. I used to feed mine a diet of complete biscuit, part canned food and pasta - with the occasional treat of raw offal.

They love company generally (they are nearly always kenneled in pairs) and some suffer a great deal with seperation anxiety - so I hope you will be around a lot.

Make sure they have a safe place to call their own - but if they can find a more comfortable spot - lik ethe sofa or your bed - they will, so if that's not what you want set the ground rules right from the start.

Oh - make sure you're vet is used to dealing with greyhounds - they react differently to anaesthetic to other dogs and it can cause problems if an operation is needed.

Did you know that greyhounds make great blood donors??

Generally they are the most loyal loving dogs and I'm sure you will get so much pleasure from their company."

Thank you kindly for your detailed response and it is much appreciated

James, may i just say, how refreshing it is to see someone thank a poster for their excellent advice.

You will go far, especially if you unleash yer greyhound.

Winchester/London

"Greyhounds CAN live with small animals but only normally when they have been brought up with them from being small puppies. Retired racing dogs are best kept alone or with another grey for company.

The grey is known as the 30 mile an hour couch potato. They are essentially bone idle and are happiest when left to sleep most of the day on the sofa or your bed. Two 20 minute walks a day is enough exercise.

They are a sight hound and will often chase small animals like squirrels when out walking. Recall can often be a problem because of this so off leash walks are not recommended.

As for health, like a lot of larger, deep chested dogs, they can be susceptible to bloat. Read up on the symptoms just in case

Finally, enjoy your lovely new buddy.

I love my greyhound cross to bits and wouldn't change him for the world, even when he's behaving like a brat lol"

Another informative posting.

Thank you kindly

" Thank you kindly for your detailed response and it is much appreciated "

You're welcome - I loved my greyhounds and had lurchers too

Winchester/London

"Gawd! Yet ANOTHER dogging question! .

Had an idea you'd be lurking with a nifty pun my friend

Couldn't resist it! "

Come on then get your comedic brain around my mobile phone posting.

Surely there's gags galore with that one ?

Winchester/London

"

James, may i just say, how refreshing it is to see someone thank a poster for their excellent advice.

You will go far, especially if you unleash yer greyhound."

Thank you.

When lovely people kindly take the time and trouble to send a detailed posting which is of such value then thanking them is my instinctive response

By *ryme_gyMan  over a year ago

Grimsby

Small furries (cats included) are generally a no no for ex racers.

They are deep chested so food and water needs to really be held up in stands close to head height.

Our greyhound is happiest curled up on the sofa or on a thick rug in front of the fire. They can be really lazy but exercise is important, I think there are rules regarding letting ex racers off the lead but you'll need to double check on that.

Basically just enjoy, they make the best companions and love lots of cuddles.

Winchester/London

"Small furries (cats included) are generally a no no for ex racers.

They are deep chested so food and water needs to really be held up in stands close to head height.

Our greyhound is happiest curled up on the sofa or on a thick rug in front of the fire. They can be really lazy but exercise is important, I think there are rules regarding letting ex racers off the lead but you'll need to double check on that.

Basically just enjoy, they make the best companions and love lots of cuddles. "

More wonderful advice my friend thank you.

I never knew about the food bowls needing to be at head height before

I have a greyhound he's the best dog in the world lol

you don't even know you have them, very timid, placid dogs, don't need anymore exercise than any other dog, I take mine out twice a day for a hour each time, he runs his socks off but once he's home he sleeps all day, getting up every now and a again for a bite to each and a between walks pee

You do need to feed them a low fat diet, I buy greyhound mix and tripe for mine, they don't need the proper greyhound food if your not racing them but they do need low fat dog food

I've had mine since he was a puppy, and hes always had a great personality, never chewed or anything they just are by nature laid back dogs

One thing I will warn you about tho, they suffer from something called bald thigh syndrome which is actually what it sounds like, so if your dogs hair starts falling out his back legs and bum don't waste your money taking it to the vet its perfectly normal and grows back, ask the rescue centre im sure they will know all about it and advise you

not sure what else to say, they are just lovely, placid dogs

Are they ok with cats ? "

I have 3 cats and my cats sleep in the dog bed with mine but ive had him since he was 8 weeks old so he's grown up with them, if hes a ex racer I wouldn't have thought he'd be good with cats

By *rsIdiotWoman  over a year ago

Bedworth

Are they ok with cats ?

I have 3 cats and my cats sleep in the dog bed with mine but ive had him since he was 8 weeks old so he's grown up with them, if hes a ex racer I wouldn't have thought he'd be good with cats"

My three cats sleep with Oscar too. I also used to have a pair of chinchillas who used to use him as a climbing toy, he'd just lay down and sleep while they played over him.

Incidentally, he despises the neighbours cat and has tried to chase him, showing real intent to catch and kill. I think somewhere in his brain he feels that our kitties are HIS cats, not just a cat

By *ryme_gyMan  over a year ago

Grimsby

"Small furries (cats included) are generally a no no for ex racers.

Basically just enjoy, they make the best companions and love lots of cuddles.

More wonderful advice my friend thank you.

I never knew about the food bowls needing to be at head height before "

You're more than welcome fella, enjoy the new addition to your family.

I have read somewhere that ex racers should really be muzzled when out and about due to their high prey drive, lots don't mind you but if you want to avoid any nastiness it may be wise to muzzle them until you are sure of their reaction to smaller animals.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

"I have read somewhere that ex racers should really be muzzled when out and about due to their high prey drive, lots don't mind you but if you want to avoid any nastiness it may be wise to muzzle them until you are sure of their reaction to smaller animals. "

Racers are trained to the muzzle so you won't have any issues muzzling them.

» Add a new message to this topic