FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > bbc benefits programme?

bbc benefits programme?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Was wondering what peoples views were on this programme? Do people think that the benefits system should change and what would you change about it if you could?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lackshadow7Man  over a year ago

Toronto

popcorn.gif

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple  over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

i'll bring the wine

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Sigh...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

That's my home town, what an advert !!

"popcorn.gif"

I wasnt wanting to start a witch hunt against benefit claimants. I myself am on benefits while i try to find a job. I have applied for 8 jobs in the past few days and have been told that i dont have adequate qualifications or that i have too many qualifications for the job

By *ub bbwWoman  over a year ago

oldbury

yes i think it should i think some people get stuff to easily where as others have to jump through so many hoops it should be one rule for all. Im currently on esa so deemed unfit for work but have to got go regular group sessions to help me find work yet people on jsa just fill in sheet and rock up to job centre once a fortnight. It seems i have to do more to get paid than people who have never had a job i worked until a work related incident made me very ill yet im getting penalised or at least thats how it feels.

"yes i think it should i think some people get stuff to easily where as others have to jump through so many hoops it should be one rule for all. Im currently on esa so deemed unfit for work but have to got go regular group sessions to help me find work yet people on jsa just fill in sheet and rock up to job centre once a fortnight. It seems i have to do more to get paid than people who have never had a job i worked until a work related incident made me very ill yet im getting penalised or at least thats how it feels. "

Im on esa too and have now had to begin applying for jobs with help from the job centre whilst waiting on my medical date

oldbury

"yes i think it should i think some people get stuff to easily where as others have to jump through so many hoops it should be one rule for all. Im currently on esa so deemed unfit for work but have to got go regular group sessions to help me find work yet people on jsa just fill in sheet and rock up to job centre once a fortnight. It seems i have to do more to get paid than people who have never had a job i worked until a work related incident made me very ill yet im getting penalised or at least thats how it feels.

Im on esa too and have now had to begin applying for jobs with help from the job centre whilst waiting on my medical date "

I dont get how being unfit for work they make us apply for work surely thats not right

oldbury

i had my medical and deemed unfit for work for at least 12 months so surely that means im unable to work

"yes i think it should i think some people get stuff to easily where as others have to jump through so many hoops it should be one rule for all. Im currently on esa so deemed unfit for work but have to got go regular group sessions to help me find work yet people on jsa just fill in sheet and rock up to job centre once a fortnight. It seems i have to do more to get paid than people who have never had a job i worked until a work related incident made me very ill yet im getting penalised or at least thats how it feels.

Im on esa too and have now had to begin applying for jobs with help from the job centre whilst waiting on my medical date

I dont get how being unfit for work they make us apply for work surely thats not right"

I wouldnt say so but who am i to tell them otherwise. I think its terrible the way the "taxpayers" are speaking to the claimants and questioning every little thing.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I'm watching it and those that have put themselves forward to be followed aren't doing the unemployed any favours so far.

As has been pointed out the unemployed benefits account for about 10% of the benefits bill.

Nick and Margaret are always good value for being firm but fair.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

The benefits are there for those that can't work due to ill health or those that need a bit of help in between jobs...it's not there to sit on your lazy arse and reap in the benefits you receive..I see it everyday in my job and often can't do certain thing because they are on holiday for 2 weeks...I can't remember the last time I have been able to afford a holiday...

oldbury

I dont get how being unfit for work they make us apply for work surely thats not right

I wouldnt say so but who am i to tell them otherwise. I think its terrible the way the "taxpayers" are speaking to the claimants and questioning every little thing. "

At my last appointment i had at job centre the guy wanted me to go into graphic details of my ill ness and when i refused got really arsey with me i hate the job centre staff they seem to think they are superior to people out of work. Not all of us want to be out of work id love to be able to work full time and get off benefits but im not able to at the moment

"I'm watching it and those that have put themselves forward to be followed aren't doing the unemployed any favours so far.

As has been pointed out the unemployed benefits account for about 10% of the benefits bill.

Nick and Margaret are always good value for being firm but fair."

I agree with what your saying. Id love to come off benefits asap and get back into working. I felt like i was worth something when i was working.

"I'm watching it and those that have put themselves forward to be followed aren't doing the unemployed any favours so far.

Nick and Margaret are always good value for being firm but fair."

But what about the other benefits housing benefit, council tax benefit,child tax credits I work so does my partner we have children and get nothing the benefit system should be a safety net not a lifestyle choice

oldbury

"The benefits are there for those that can't work due to ill health or those that need a bit of help in between jobs...it's not there to sit on your lazy arse and reap in the benefits you receive..I see it everyday in my job and often can't do certain thing because they are on holiday for 2 weeks...I can't remember the last time I have been able to afford a holiday..."

I agree with you i know people that book 2 weeks abroad and neither of them work if i go anywhere its in my tent for £6 a night for 2 or 3 nights i can just about stretch to that nothing extravegant

"The benefits are there for those that can't work due to ill health or those that need a bit of help in between jobs...it's not there to sit on your lazy arse and reap in the benefits you receive..I see it everyday in my job and often can't do certain thing because they are on holiday for 2 weeks...I can't remember the last time I have been able to afford a holiday..."

Seems reasonable to me

oldbury

i keep my head above water by living on bare minimum these people need ot learn how to do that instead of spending it on booze and big tvs.

By *4FantasyCouple  over a year ago

Spalding

I can barely watch, it makes me feel sick to see the amount of money people get for doing naff all.. when I am working my arse off every day...grrrrr

Kazx

"i keep my head above water by living on bare minimum these people need ot learn how to do that instead of spending it on booze and big tvs. "

See that's where bright house etc earn their big bucks by sucking those in to get the big tvs on credit...

And when you balance this against mps proposed £6k pay rise?

Thoughts on this?

Personally I think it's shameful.

"And when you balance this against mps proposed £6k pay rise?

Thoughts on this?

Personally I think it's shameful. "

Many mp's say they wont be accepting it

turned it off when the single mum claimed she couldn't live on £880 a month, and that's after her rent has been paid.. I wish I had £880 to live on. when my hubbie was unemployed he got nothing, not a single penny!! we had to apply to ssafa for vouchers for food... how embarrassing that was!!

oldbury

"i keep my head above water by living on bare minimum these people need ot learn how to do that instead of spending it on booze and big tvs.

See that's where bright house etc earn their big bucks by sucking those in to get the big tvs on credit..."

True im making do with a 28 inch old fashioned heavy one that takes 4 people to lift lol. I got it free on freecycle along with furniture and bits i have learnt to be frugal even when im working

By *hyllyphyllyMan  over a year ago

Bradford

I am screaming at the tv here... could they pick even worse people?

"I am screaming at the tv here... could they pick even worse people?"

Tv for you..it's like the programme skint....it's called editing

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

it is interesting because it shows the different types of people out there who are unemployed.....

there are those who are genuinely looking for work, and having been made unemployed in the past I know what those people are going thru...

and the volunteering is all well an good and it is good whilst looking, but it shouldn't take the place of actually looking itself

but the people who do nothing are the one who sells papers and make people angry ... the bloke who cried whhen the kid said who wanted to be like his daddy did pull the heartstrings

Thoughts on this?

Many mp's say they wont be accepting it "

I don't trust what a single mp says, do you really?

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Thoughts on this?

I don't trust what a single mp says, do you really?"

Yes I do.......there are many excellent MP's who work tirelessly for their constituents....this tarring everyone with the same brush rubbish is ridiculous.

Thoughts on this?

Yes I do.......there are many excellent MP's who work tirelessly for their constituents....this tarring everyone with the same brush rubbish is ridiculous."

So you think they wouldn't accept a pay rise?

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

I found some of the workers patronising but some of the unemployed didn't do themselves any favours.

The boy with the degree needs a reality check!

"I found some of the workers patronising but some of the unemployed didn't do themselves any favours.

The boy with the degree needs a reality check!"

What with the iPhone mac and not willing to take a job because its below him....

"

Yes I do.......there are many excellent MP's who work tirelessly for their constituents....this tarring everyone with the same brush rubbish is ridiculous."

Works for MPs when they mention people on benefits.

Thoughts on this?

Yes I do.......there are many excellent MP's who work tirelessly for their constituents....this tarring everyone with the same brush rubbish is ridiculous.

So you think they wouldn't accept a pay rise?"

Even if they don't want it..they will still get it..

"I found some of the workers patronising but some of the unemployed didn't do themselves any favours.

The boy with the degree needs a reality check!"

Yes, I wanted to shake him. However, I really wanted to meet his family and tell them to stop giving him everything on a plate. They have developed his mindset that his intellect and academic achievement means he is superior and deserving only of the things he deems good enough.

If his grandfather didn't house and feed him and his aunt didn't pay for his phone and the rest then he would learn the real value of things.

"i keep my head above water by living on bare minimum these people need ot learn how to do that instead of spending it on booze and big tvs.

See that's where bright house etc earn their big bucks by sucking those in to get the big tvs on credit...

True im making do with a 28 inch old fashioned heavy one that takes 4 people to lift lol. I got it free on freecycle along with furniture and bits i have learnt to be frugal even when im working"

I would recommend recycling sites like this 100%. Have gifted a lot over the years and had the odd item in return.

By *EXY50ishWoman  over a year ago

Anywhere and nowhere

Here here I whole heartedly agree.

By *heffmMan  over a year ago

sheffield

These types of programmes often highlight the extremes partially for entertainment and shock value, don't take what is in them as the norm,

For a second I thought you said bbc .didn't know there was a benefit system for BBC

[Removed by poster at 11/07/13 22:41:34]

By *oulou45Woman  over a year ago

Bucks

I watched it and felt sorry for the guy who cried at his young sons comment, you could tell he wanted to work. I work full time its been 4 years since ive had a holiday. I also got furniture ie big old fashioned tv from free cycle and was really greatful for them. I think the benifits system needs an overhaul. This isnt aimed at people unemployed for genuine reasons.

By *heffmMan  over a year ago

sheffield

"I watched it and felt sorry for the guy who cried at his young sons comment, you could tell he wanted to work. I work full time its been 4 years since ive had a holiday. I also got furniture ie big old fashioned tv from free cycle and was really greatful for them. I think the benifits system needs an overhaul. This isnt aimed at people unemployed for genuine reasons."
you can smack big tellys harder. Lol its not a representative programme

I've just watched the second part and so glad that the young graduate got the chance to turn his life to something useful. He is now working as carer.

By *on YonsonMan  over a year ago

London

I believe in a humane society, one that we all contribute, share and reap the rewards. This should be a shared belief regardless of what political class we label ourselves, as the species, homo sapiens, would not be here if we didn't already possess this innate feeling.

"I've just watched the second part and so glad that the young graduate got the chance to turn his life to something useful. He is now working as carer.

"

its not much of a job for a young lad who has been to university though, i wonder how long he will be able to stick it? i guess he didnt want people to think badly of him because he was on television and the two women were being nasty to him and insulting him.

anyway i think being a carer is womens work. just my opinion of course.

"I've just watched the second part and so glad that the young graduate got the chance to turn his life to something useful. He is now working as carer.

its not much of a job for a young lad who has been to university though, i wonder how long he will be able to stick it? i guess he didnt want people to think badly of him because he was on television and the two women were being nasty to him and insulting him.

anyway i think being a carer is womens work. just my opinion of course."

So it's OK to refuse jobs and remain on benefits if you have been to university or if you're choice is "woman's work" and you're a man? Youth unemployment set to grow even further then.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

my son is a carer and where he works quite a few care male, how can it be woman's work. You do live in the dark ages

So it's OK to refuse jobs and remain on benefits if you have been to university or if you're choice is "woman's work" and you're a man? Youth unemployment set to grow even further then."

i think he may of got a job in a shop or something, not looking after old ladies. until he could get something a bit better suited to his qualifications.

i agree he was being spoilt by his family though, but he had worked hard at university and he did deserve to have a better job and be admired rather than humiliated by that silly stuck up woman, who worked as a carer.

anyway i think being a carer is womens work. just my opinion of course.my son is a carer and where he works quite a few care male, how can it be woman's work. You do live in the dark ages"

yes i know i do live in the dark ages and i see nothing wrong with that.

i wouldnt want some young chap taking me to the toilet when i am old.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Is this the thing with Alan Sugar's two flunkies moaning about modern life?

You'd think, given their age and wealth, they'd be prepared to step aside and make a bit of space on the ladder (greasy pole?) for others.

While we're at it - WTF was Stuart Hall doing hanging onto a job at the age of 82?

"Is this the thing with Alan Sugar's two flunkies moaning about modern life?

You'd think, given their age and wealth, they'd be prepared to step aside and make a bit of space on the ladder (greasy pole?) for others.

While we're at it - WTF was Stuart Hall doing hanging onto a job at the age of 82?"

good point.

So it's OK to refuse jobs and remain on benefits if you have been to university or if you're choice is "woman's work" and you're a man? Youth unemployment set to grow even further then.

i think he may of got a job in a shop or something, not looking after old ladies. until he could get something a bit better suited to his qualifications.

i agree he was being spoilt by his family though, but he had worked hard at university and he did deserve to have a better job and be admired rather than humiliated by that silly stuck up woman, who worked as a carer."

OK, so I have been a secretary, a shop worker, a chief executive and other things. Should I only hold out for chief executive roles now if I need to earn?

His attitude combined with the mollycoddling from his family was his real issue. I didn't become a chief executive overnight - I worked for it from the bottom up and I know it has made me a better senior executive because of that experience of trying out all of the roles I recruit others to do.

Even with his degree I would never have employed him for the role in my organisation that matches his degree because his attitude was one of entitlement. The woman I have in that role did bar work, cleaning, factory work and has a degree at a better level than his. Her attitude got her the role not her degree.

anyway i think being a carer is womens work. just my opinion of course.my son is a carer and where he works quite a few care male, how can it be woman's work. You do live in the dark ages

i wouldnt want some young chap taking me to the toilet when i am old. "

I did care work for about 9 months or so, whilst some people asked for female careers only, most people were just grateful for ANYONE to turn up and take them to the toilet/wash them/help them in general. There are plenty of male careers out there and so there should be, What about the male patients that don't want women doing the same thing for them and would prefer a man to do it?

i agree he was being spoilt by his family though, but he had worked hard at university and he did deserve to have a better job and be admired rather than humiliated by that silly stuck up woman, who worked as a carer.

OK, so I have been a secretary, a shop worker, a chief executive and other things. Should I only hold out for chief executive roles now if I need to earn?

His attitude combined with the mollycoddling from his family was his real issue. I didn't become a chief executive overnight - I worked for it from the bottom up and I know it has made me a better senior executive because of that experience of trying out all of the roles I recruit others to do.

Even with his degree I would never have employed him for the role in my organisation that matches his degree because his attitude was one of entitlement. The woman I have in that role did bar work, cleaning, factory work and has a degree at a better level than his. Her attitude got her the role not her degree."

like i said he could of got a job doing shop work until he got something better, not looking after old ladies.

Even with his degree I would never have employed him for the role in my organisation that matches his degree because his attitude was one of entitlement. The woman I have in that role did bar work, cleaning, factory work and has a degree at a better level than his. Her attitude got her the role not her degree.

like i said he could of got a job doing shop work until he got something better, not looking after old ladies."

you might be grateful for the male carers one day

like i said he could of got a job doing shop work until he got something better, not looking after old ladies."

Really don't get your logic on this a job is a job and are you saying a shop worker is more worthy than a care person ?

The lady that was with him I didn't feel was stuck up at all and genuinely seemed like she wanted to help him.

So he's got a degree what does that have to do with it. Fair enough if it was a job specific on such as medical nurses vet. But in this day in age if your fit enough to work and a job is available you should be MADE to work it shouldn't be a choice. You can always look for a job whilst your employed

By *ts artMan  over a year ago

Londonderry

where are all these jobs that people should be getting going to come from in a recession

"where are all these jobs that people should be getting going to come from in a recession"

had it been a Bloke who being a Carer was a Woman's job, you would have jumped down is throat and accused him if being Sexist, just my opinion

I watched it last week and the guy who son wanted to be like him, if I remember right is over 40 and only worked 19 days or so in his whole life, don't kid yourself he wants to WORK

"where are all these jobs that people should be getting going to come from in a recession"
always seems to be plenty of work in the call centre market these days, not everyone's cup of tea but in these diifficult times a job is a job

But that's all changed now he's doing a degree at even more cost to the tax payer so he can get a job

Don't get that ESA is put in place for people not fit to work,

i agree he was being spoilt by his family though, but he had worked hard at university and he did deserve to have a better job and be admired rather than humiliated by that silly stuck up woman, who worked as a carer."

No he doesn't "deserve" a better job he should start at the bottom and work his way up only then could he learn the company effectively enough to work at a higher level there he might even have a sense of satisfaction of actually earning it than just being handed it due to some qualification.

anyway i think being a carer is womens work. just my opinion of course. had it been a Bloke who being a Carer was a Woman's job, you would have jumped down is throat and accused him if being Sexist, just my opinion "

no i wouldnt call him sexist because i think it is a womans job.

its not a very nice job especialy for a young lad, not everyone is cut out for that type of work, also think they would have to be a bit careful who they employ to look after the elderly and vulnerable, or do poeple think just because they are old that they should be grateful for just any old person to look after them.

By *azzaahhWoman  over a year ago

north wales / chester

anyway i think being a carer is womens work. just my opinion of course.my son is a carer and where he works quite a few care male, how can it be woman's work. You do live in the dark ages

i wouldnt want some young chap taking me to the toilet when i am old. "

surely if you were incapable of taking yourself any help wether from male female young or old is better than no help and you end up for lack of a better way to put it pissing / shitting yourself. I know id prefer to helped by whoever ..

i wouldnt want some young chap taking me to the toilet when i am old.

surely if you were incapable of taking yourself any help wether from male female young or old is better than no help and you end up for lack of a better way to put it pissing / shitting yourself. I know id prefer to helped by whoever .."

well hopeful i wont live long enough to get like that,so i would have to be grateful for any kind of help from just anyone.

anyway i think being a carer is womens work. just my opinion of course. had it been a Bloke who being a Carer was a Woman's job, you would have jumped down is throat and accused him if being Sexist, just my opinion

its not a very nice job especialy for a young lad, not everyone is cut out for that type of work, also think they would have to be a bit careful who they employ to look after the elderly and vulnerable, or do poeple think just because they are old that they should be grateful for just any old person to look after them."

Every career that works for a ligit company has to be CRB checked before they can even visit thier first client!

anyway i think being a carer is womens work. just my opinion of course. had it been a Bloke who being a Carer was a Woman's job, you would have jumped down is throat and accused him if being Sexist, just my opinion

its not a very nice job especialy for a young lad, not everyone is cut out for that type of work, also think they would have to be a bit careful who they employ to look after the elderly and vulnerable, or do poeple think just because they are old that they should be grateful for just any old person to look after them."

they all have to be crb , I agree not everyone is cut out for that type of work. It takes someone special whether that is man or woman. Would you refuse a male nurse to look after you

its not a very nice job especialy for a young lad, not everyone is cut out for that type of work, also think they would have to be a bit careful who they employ to look after the elderly and vulnerable, or do poeple think just because they are old that they should be grateful for just any old person to look after them.they all have to be crb , I agree not everyone is cut out for that type of work. It takes someone special whether that is man or woman. Would you refuse a male nurse to look after you"

i dont know if i would refuse a male nurse i doubt i would have a choice.

So a male shouldn't be a carer to the elderly and infirm? What about male nurses? Are they allowed ? They come very highly qualified nowadays and still have to wipe patients bums.

I've never heard such twaddle in my life. Hate to tell you this but it's the 21st century and women are no longer tied to the kitchen sink

Getting back to the point yes the system does need to be changed.

Look at the 4 people on the programme all of them could work. But choose not to

Guy who got made redundant only wanted jobs that payed over 18000 a year and didn't bother looking for anything below that.

Attitude change hay presto employed.

Single dad worked 19 days in his whole life at nearly 50 I'm sure he wasn't disabled that whole time and I'm damn sure he can still do some form of admin as he's now doing a degree which will be costing the tax payers more. In my mind its just a way for him to kill a few more years not working.

Young lad same as redundant dad only wanted well paying better jobs and point blank refused to work in what he believed to be below him jobs. Change of attitude hay presto employed.

Single mom again worked very little since leaving school popping springs and getting everything paid for saying she is skint. Do t know if she got a job in the end.

Again the safety net is there to help those that need it and its too safe.

I don't believe we should cut benefits but it should be changed to reflect its original purpose which is to get people on their feet not a substitute for hard work.

I know plenty of people who have lost jobs and not been able to claim because of owning a house having savings or earning to much the previous years even though they are on hard times how is that fair

It should be more open but should only ever be short term. Long term people should be made to work even if its just being made to get up in the morning and do a few hours community work

no that's why they are trained and go through CBR checks, but i do agree it take a certain type of person to be able to do the job

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"yes i think it should i think some people get stuff to easily where as others have to jump through so many hoops it should be one rule for all. Im currently on esa so deemed unfit for work but have to got go regular group sessions to help me find work yet people on jsa just fill in sheet and rock up to job centre once a fortnight. It seems i have to do more to get paid than people who have never had a job i worked until a work related incident made me very ill yet im getting penalised or at least thats how it feels. "

The thing is that it is not the fault of the claimants. It's the system which is at fault. Yet people blame claimants as they sre the ones we can see in front of us.

» Add a new message to this topic