FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Carrying on surname really important to men

Carrying on surname really important to men

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *aravancouple OP   Man  over a year ago

A Secret Hideaway In the caravan of love

Is it important to giving your children your surname.

I like the idea that some women now choose to keep their own names when they get married or the man taking on the woman`s surname in marriage.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

doesn't seem important to me either way

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes it is imho

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Yes it is imho"

Why ?

Why on earth would you want your kids to have a different name?

If I want my family name to continue from my line, I would have to.

I'm not even 100% sure I want kids (although that may change in the future), but I do feel a little bit of pressure as I wouldn't want to let my family down!

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

My fathers name isn't being carried on. Having three daughters and three grand-daughters means that we're the last generation of our family with his name. I gave my daughter the choice of which surname she wanted. She picked her fathers.

King's Crustacean

"Why on earth would you want your kids to have a different name? "

Why is it important for them to keep the males name in your humble opinion ?

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

When I got married I could not change my surname under Danish law...thank fuck for that now as I don't have to change anything...

Because mine is quite unusual when my brother got married, he changed his back to the surname he was born with rather than use the surname he and I took on from out step father so yes to him it was

Somebody asked for an opinion, I gave mine what is your problem?

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"Somebody asked for an opinion, I gave mine what is your problem?"

Calm down....people are allowed to be different to you...

"If I want my family name to continue from my line, I would have to.

I'm not even 100% sure I want kids (although that may change in the future), but I do feel a little bit of pressure as I wouldn't want to let my family down!"

On the other hand, if you are not paternal and adamant you don't want children, you need to explain it to them, no point in having children because you have to rather than want to

Why shouldn't the kid have his mothers name since its the mother that makes the most sacrifices. Usually their jobs, social life, body and sometimes even their identity.

"When I got married I could not change my surname under Danish law...thank fuck for that now as I don't have to change anything... "

I want to change mine back but then i don't want to have a different name from by daughter. So im stuck with it.

King's Crustacean

"Somebody asked for an opinion, I gave mine what is your problem?"

Was that to me ?

"On the other hand, if you are not paternal and adamant you don't want children, you need to explain it to them, no point in having children because you have to rather than want to"

This is true. I am still undecided though so I will cross that bridge when I come to it!

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

It is a bit 19th century, but it seems to be custom for the children to take the fathers name. I guess with more and more women electing to bring their children up alone though, that might change.

My ex kept 'my' surname as she doesn't want a different name to our children. We get on and she feels no affinity to her maiden name.

i thought I didn't care about all this till my eldest changed his surname on FB and for some reason it really hurt.

I was proud to take daves surname, so not an issue re kids surname.

I picked my daughters name with the intention she would take her dads surname.. he never showed up to register her birth so she got mine.

Guess it worked out pretty well and have made things easier by association that we've the same surnames.

I have my step dads surname.. and that marriage has ended so its all a bit odd really as ive the name of a man who is effectively nothing to me, and even less to my daughter who has never met him or any of that family..

By *eryBigGirlWoman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

I kept my exes surname to remain the same as my daughter. I know it pisses him and his new mrs off which I don't really get if I'm honest

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

It seems more common these days for children to have double barrelled names. I took my ex husbands and kept it after divorce so made life easier when he was at school. I still haven't gotten round changing it back to my maiden name

My son has his dads surname as we weren't married he is called cole and im Stephens xx

The female changing her name is only tradition, there is no legality to it.

My husband took my surname when we married because I wanted to keep it and any kids have the same name.

"Is it important to giving your children your surname.

I like the idea that some women now choose to keep their own names when they get married or the man taking on the woman`s surname in marriage."

I think that it's important part of tradition.. I think that children should have their fathers surname...

Now I'm single again I'm defaulting back to my maiden name...

I would hate for a man to have took my surname.. it just doesn't feel right.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"Is it important to giving your children your surname.

I like the idea that some women now choose to keep their own names when they get married or the man taking on the woman`s surname in marriage."

I kept mine. Never understood the need to change it.

only reason i took my hubbys name is because i hated my name.

To me it is not important at all, I don't have any kids so with a bit of luck the name dies with me

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"My fathers name isn't being carried on. Having three daughters and three grand-daughters means that we're the last generation of our family with his name. I gave my daughter the choice of which surname she wanted. She picked her fathers."

My fathers name died with him. He had four brothers, all died before the age of 21, two died the same day and none had kids.

He had five daughters. Three of us have kids but they have our husbands' name, and the two with his name aren't married and have no children.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"My ex kept 'my' surname as she doesn't want a different name to our children. We get on and she feels no affinity to her maiden name.

i thought I didn't care about all this till my eldest changed his surname on FB and for some reason it really hurt. "

I've kept my married name. I really can't be arsed changing all my documents and I've had it for 32 years.

My brother in law is furious my sister has kept his name as she had a son by another man but gave her son her (his) name so he has the same name as her and her daughter.

My surname is important to me and it is important to me that my kids have my surname but that is just because of my situation as a child, the funny thing is its not my biological fathers name it's my stepfathers name but its the name I have and that's who I am

Good job my brother has kids as i certainly have no intention of ever having any myself!

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Good job my brother has kids as i certainly have no intention of ever having any myself! "

Obi, 'Poopdecker' is a traditional Naval term and nothing to be ashamed of.

I had my mums maiden name until I was 16 cause thats when I went to get my provisional and never actually realised she named me different to my sisters. My son had my last name as his middle name and has his father surname. My mate whos daughters dad has nothing to do with her has my mates surname, and now shes preg again shes in two minds of giving baby number 2 her surname so the babies have same names or do what I did.

Just marry someone with the same surname prob solved

"My ex kept 'my' surname as she doesn't want a different name to our children. We get on and she feels no affinity to her maiden name.

i thought I didn't care about all this till my eldest changed his surname on FB and for some reason it really hurt.

I've kept my married name. I really can't be arsed changing all my documents and I've had it for 32 years.

My brother in law is furious my sister has kept his name as she had a son by another man but gave her son her (his) name so he has the same name as her and her daughter. "

I would be mildy inquisitive if ex did the same rather than furious ... can't see it happening to test that theory though. She's only late thirty's tho so who knows?

When I married my ex, she took my name but the children kept their father's..... For convenience....

Now my ex has reverted to her previous ex's name, not her maiden name....

I find these things curious.....

By *hocksandmissusCouple  over a year ago

Chester-ish

we come from a very strong family were there are still 5 generations of us living and we do see our name as very important both to us and our identity and would very much like to carry our name forwards for as long as we can xxxxx

Yes.

Both my kids have my surname.

[Removed by poster at 22/11/14 08:37:35]

» Add a new message to this topic