FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Any guitarists who can help me?

Any guitarists who can help me?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *opping_candy OP   Woman  over a year ago

West Yorkshire

Evening all,

some time ago I surprised my man with the Yamaha Pacifica guitar he had been after, and he named it Candy after me It's his birthday on Friday and I want to get him a little something, been thinking and thinking and now wondering whether to get him a personalised plectrum.

Now I know sod all about playing the guitar and don't want to ask him as it would spoil the surprise.

So I'm assuming people actually use a plectrum to play this type of guitar? Or do some people use their fingertips?

There's loads of different thicknesses, and also the engraved metal ones are they just for show or can they be used?

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Yours cluelessly,

Candy x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Evening all,

some time ago I surprised my man with the Yamaha Pacifica guitar he had been after, and he named it Candy after me It's his birthday on Friday and I want to get him a little something, been thinking and thinking and now wondering whether to get him a personalised plectrum.

Now I know sod all about playing the guitar and don't want to ask him as it would spoil the surprise.

So I'm assuming people actually use a plectrum to play this type of guitar? Or do some people use their fingertips?

There's loads of different thicknesses, and also the engraved metal ones are they just for show or can they be used?

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Yours cluelessly,

Candy x"

Plectrum can be used for any guitar - you could google (not allowed to quote sites) customised plectrum ?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Guitar picks can be made in various thicknesses and stiffness, I used to use thin soft picks. I know people that use 2p pieces. A custom pick does sound like a nice present

Or, maybe a personalised plectrum with chain for him to wear around his neck rather than use it to play, a keep sake.

I would get him some ernie ball hybrid slingy strings, they are the best , i know this as my ex is a guitarist

West Yorkshire

I did google customised plectrum, my problem being there's so many options I haven't got a clue which to go for.

Have managed to get a guitary friend on bookface to explain the differences to me and I think I understand it a little better now! The metal ones are thinner than synthetic but produce a similar sound, different sizes for different styles....

Oh and he wouldn't wear a chain.

Don't play myself, but why not look if you can get a personalised bottle neck thingy for playing slide guitar- if he doesn't play slide now it'll be something new to learn

By *oasterCockbumMan  over a year ago

Highway 61

Your right , the thickness has very different sound and feel .... its worth having a look at the plectrum he uses at the moment to see if theres a size on it , then you could get a custom done of the same grade .... hope this helps , its a cool idea for a pressie ...

I got given a solid silver one with my name engraved I wear round my neck...

Its better than a plec that will break or get lost easy

West Yorkshire

"Your right , the thickness has very different sound and feel .... its worth having a look at the plectrum he uses at the moment to see if theres a size on it , then you could get a custom done of the same grade .... hope this helps , its a cool idea for a pressie ... "

I've got no way of seeing what he uses now, we don't live together or get to see each other much

plectrums are quite a personal thing, in that every axeman will have his preference. If it's a keep sake it won't matter, so don't worry too much.

There's lots of other gifts you could buy, such as a capo, or a guitar strap, or even a case or gig bag, strings, or tuition books, or how about an effects pedal. It all depends what level of playing he's at, and what he's got to be honest.

By *cottishrichMan  over a year ago

Here and there

"plectrums are quite a personal thing, in that every axeman will have his preference. If it's a keep sake it won't matter, so don't worry too much.

There's lots of other gifts you could buy, such as a capo, or a guitar strap, or even a case or gig bag, strings, or tuition books, or how about an effects pedal. It all depends what level of playing he's at, and what he's got to be honest."

^this

Plectrums are pretty disposable items, they're easily dropped and lost and everyone likes different sizes/thickness/feel.

Strings are a pretty personal choice too, unless you know what he plays I'd steer clear.

Capo, slide, gig bag - all good ideas.

West Yorkshire

I think I'll go for the plectrum as a keep sake and if he does want to use it so be it, otherwise it can stay in the box. I want it to be personal and a bag or strap aren't. In the past I have made him small personal gifts - tiny sewn things with messages inside for example.

Thanks for the advice

By *ickloverMan  over a year ago

Devizes

Good choice, there's a few places online that offer lovely silver or gold plectrums in presentation boxes .

Buy him what every guitarist really wants, a banjo!

A plectrum should cost you all of 50p so better start saving.

Personally I would get him a Capo. Shubb are very good. Or maybe an electronic tuner.

By *hris148Man  over a year ago

I used to gig with 'chick picks' which were plectrums with pictures of scantily clad women. How about personalising a plectrum that way?

West Yorkshire

The engraved ones are between £7 and £10. I don't need or want to spend a lot of money , nor can I afford to.

By *hris148Man  over a year ago

"A plectrum should cost you all of 50p so better start saving.

Personally I would get him a Capo. Shubb are very good. Or maybe an electronic tuner."

Kyser qr capos are my favourite

I've played guitar electric and acoustic, classical and rock for many years. Using the plectrum, depends on the finger technique and sounds wanted for the song. When I use a plectrum I prefer medium or heavy, I think most go for heavy. I've often wanted a metal engrave one, you can get them where the clip onto a chain around your neck, I think they're awesome.

"A plectrum should cost you all of 50p so better start saving.

Personally I would get him a Capo. Shubb are very good. Or maybe an electronic tuner."

Electric tuners are obsolete now if you have a smartphone. plenty of free tuner apps kicking about

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"..........Capo, slide, gig bag - all good ideas. "

Agreed. One of my best buys was a 'Pub Prop' which screws onto the table at pub sessions and restrains your guitar/ mandolin/ whatever while you go for a pee or a pint.

Another toy I get lots of use from is a finger strengthener. Lets you play longer without getting tired or cramp.

A cheap 'stocking filler' is string wipes. They help get rid of the perspiration from the guitar strings. They sound better for longer.

West Yorkshire

The 'personal' nature of the gift is more important to me than the guitar-related aspect. I didn't think 'what can I get him to go with his guitar', I thought 'what small useful personal thing can I get him'.

Devizes

"The 'personal' nature of the gift is more important to me than the guitar-related aspect. I didn't think 'what can I get him to go with his guitar', I thought 'what small useful personal thing can I get him'."

How about a canvas print of your lovely lips !! X

West Yorkshire

Is that small or useful? lol

Devizes

Might not be small but I'd be happy with it !!

By *obnessMan  over a year ago

york

Ok, yamaha pacifica is an electric so unless he wants to be jeff beck or mark knoppfler he uses a plectrum. Plectrums for use do tend to be personal, and when in use wear out or get lost or go to live in the washing machine. Electric players usually stand up to play. A nice strap would be useful and look cool.

By *obnessMan  over a year ago

york

Pub prop was a good suggestion. Electrictuners are wonderful. I have 3 just in case i lose one. Guitar stands are useful.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

" ........ A nice strap would be useful and look cool."

Good idea. There's a number of people who customise/ personalise guitar straps. Google for names.

West Yorkshire

He doesn't play in pubs, mostly recording studios so they have stands.

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

I quite frequently knock a 'tune' out on my single string banjo. IF U NO WAT I MEAN!!!

Never tried it with a plectrum.

By *ucy and CarlCouple  over a year ago

Broadstairs

I wouldn't want Lucy buying me a pick unless she knew exactly the type I use. But if it's just for a personalised gift anyone thickness or guage would be appreciated I'm sure. X

as a bass guitarist in the making, i tend to pluck and slap...could never get used to using a pick

» Add a new message to this topic