FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Jobs.

Jobs.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As you may have noticed there is a new procedure on getting new jobs where companies don't interview people anymore never mind advertise vacancies strongly. Everything is done online now and done through agencies and not the company itself. Anyway I wanted to know what are your thoughts on this and does anyone know who brought it in and why it was invented, etc?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

cos its easier and cheaper to get rid of staff on temp agy contracts, due to work being up and down, loyality to staff has been sacrificed

put it this way company A advertised job (#) company had HR sift through applications (#) successful applicants handed to management to further sift (#) short list back to HR all applicants contacted with fail/date (#) manager completes interviews (#) HR contact interviewed (#) applicant arrives at work for training (#) weeks later worker is pish, manager sacks him/her. whole system starts again.

company B phones agency (#) gets person, person is pish company phones agency (#), don't send that idiot back! new person arrives great worker, 2 weeks later offer full time employment.

(#)= cost to company

who has saved a fortune? company A or B t

"put it this way company A advertised job (#) company had HR sift through applications (#) successful applicants handed to management to further sift (#) short list back to HR all applicants contacted with fail/date (#) manager completes interviews (#) HR contact interviewed (#) applicant arrives at work for training (#) weeks later worker is pish, manager sacks him/her. whole system starts again.

company B phones agency (#) gets person, person is pish company phones agency (#), don't send that idiot back! new person arrives great worker, 2 weeks later offer full time employment.

(#)= cost to company

who has saved a fortune? company A or B t"

well that depends how much company B has to pay the agency for finding the staff

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

It is never cheaper to pay an agency for staff, than finding them yourself.

I know, I've worked for agencies for 8 years and then in house recruiter for 2 years.

*Her*

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

Should have added the reason there are few company adverts any more is a lot of companies don't advertise now, they approach people directly on the likes of Linked In (for free) rather than pay an agency or pay to advertise on a job board.

*Her*

By *quirrelMan  over a year ago

Tameside

Scenario for most UK businesses

Company tries to make economies and cuts back on everything it can (trims the fat), after someone leaves a new replacement is needed because there is no spare capacity and current workforce is under increasing strain to maintain their workload.

Agency is contacted and they have several suitable candidates who might fill the vacancy so they are all invited to attend interview and selection is made from these people.

Problem is Agency requires the equivalent of 3 months salary for "finding" candidate so company takes the option of hiring by the day, seeing if its the right person, company continues this arrangement as agency still wants their finders fee and the company does not have to pay worker for holiday and sickness breaks.

Person is kept on for 11 weeks then is found unsuitable, agency is asked to find someone else, this continues ad-infinitum for years because agency wants their fee and worker gets rights similar to regular employees after 12weeks continious employment.

Worker will never get fulltime work as agency fees are too high unless the job is seriously well up in the corporate structure and person has unique skills not commonly available.

Problems occur because the insecure nature of the system means workers will accept lower paid but secure direct employment with another compoany unconnected with an agency.

Recent changes to the UK employment rights legislation making each employee work for 2 years before they have rights have only made the problem more acute as companies resort to a hire-em and fire-em policy after 23 months service.

Best option is to approach companies direct with a cover letter and a copy of CV so they can contact you direct and ignore employment agencies who overcharge for supply or unmotivated workers.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Scenario for most UK businesses

Company tries to make economies and cuts back on everything it can (trims the fat), after someone leaves a new replacement is needed because there is no spare capacity and current workforce is under increasing strain to maintain their workload.

Agency is contacted and they have several suitable candidates who might fill the vacancy so they are all invited to attend interview and selection is made from these people.

Problem is Agency requires the equivalent of 3 months salary for "finding" candidate so company takes the option of hiring by the day, seeing if its the right person, company continues this arrangement as agency still wants their finders fee and the company does not have to pay worker for holiday and sickness breaks.

Person is kept on for 11 weeks then is found unsuitable, agency is asked to find someone else, this continues ad-infinitum for years because agency wants their fee and worker gets rights similar to regular employees after 12weeks continious employment.

Worker will never get fulltime work as agency fees are too high unless the job is seriously well up in the corporate structure and person has unique skills not commonly available.

Problems occur because the insecure nature of the system means workers will accept lower paid but secure direct employment with another compoany unconnected with an agency.

Recent changes to the UK employment rights legislation making each employee work for 2 years before they have rights have only made the problem more acute as companies resort to a hire-em and fire-em policy after 23 months service.

Best option is to approach companies direct with a cover letter and a copy of CV so they can contact you direct and ignore employment agencies who overcharge for supply or unmotivated workers.

"

Firstly my employer doesn't replace staff. We have machines now . So you should tell the manager that when staff leave yet need replacing. I have gone direct and handed in My CV to big companies and nothing, yet when I do it online I manage to get to the agency who do the interviews and they always fail me, yet their the ones who call me out of the blue offering me am interview

By *quirrelMan  over a year ago

Tameside

"cos its easier and cheaper to get rid of staff on temp agy contracts, due to work being up and down, loyality to staff has been sacrificed"

Absolutely correct. BMWW got rid of 350 agency workers at the mini plant at 1hours notice when orders showed signs of slowing down. Many had worked there over 3 years.

» Add a new message to this topic