FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What would you do (mobile phone related)?

What would you do (mobile phone related)?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My currently mobile phone contract is coming to an end, still has another 2+ month to go, however, my service provider is so keen to keep me that they have already contacted me with regard to loyalty offers ahead of time.

My current contract is the second one with them, and I managed to get a free snazzy phone, more inclusive minutes, texts and data at a cheaper rate than my first contract with them.

Of the 500 call minutes, I use no more than 200 a month. My text and data usage are also well within the limits.

As for data usage, I only browse FAB from time to time, and do not stream songs or video, or use any other data-hungry apps.

I am happy with the performance of my current phone, a HTC Desire S.

I was offered a pay monthly SIM only deal which sounded good over the phone except for data allowance at 250MB only (my current contract allows 500MB and I use much less per month), and declined as I said I needed to do some research.

I have since discovered Giffgaff's SIM only deals, and like the sound of them.

However, GG's service is provided by O2, and I am aware of issues with reliability with this provider in recent months, whereas I have never had any issues with Orange, which is my current service provider.

My plan now is to haggle with Orange when they ring me back, to try and get a better SIM only deal from them, with more data allowance of at least 500MB for the next 12 months.

Hopefully, by the end of the new contract, 4G coverage will be more widely available, and I shall upgrade to 4G with a better phone etc...

I prefer the "better the devil you know" approach, than to change service provider if I can help it.

To those who are more techno savvy, what would you do if you were in my situation?

Just need some guidance/advice to see if my approach is sound.

Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My entire family is with GiffGaff and we have had few problems with them. Orange in our area (near Brighton) is unusable for lack of signal which says something in this day and age! We are all heavy phone users and find GG the cheapest provider by a huge margin.

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

I use GiffGaff. You won't find a better value for money deal. I also rate the O2 network as one of the best.

By *cottishrichMan  over a year ago

Here and there

I've been with O2 for years and only experienced coverage problems twice, both times my account was credited without having to ask.

I was recently due an upgrade on my handset but as there were no new phones that interested me I reduced my contract to essentially a sim only contract of just £10 a month until I choose to upgrade (in the fall when the iPhone 5S comes out !)

4G should be available on all networks by the end of the year.

The best option for you would be to ring your provider and say you're thinking of leaving, they'll throw all sorts of offers your way to keep your custom.

I was with orange for 12 years and the customer service and overall quality got so bad I left and moved to giffgaff. I've found the customer service to be much better and other than the few service fails by 02 there's been no problem (never had a service loss from orange, just really patch reception)

Giffgaff are much cheaper and better vfm but you will need an unlocked handset or one that takes an O2 sim. I pay £12 for 300mins, 350texts and unlimited Internet (£10 if you're happy with 1gig per month data). Bonus is you're not tied to them so at the end of any month you can just leave

I've just changed from Pay as you Go to contract with O2. I've tried most of them to be honest and O2 are by far the best. Not only with their service but the best signal for where I need it.

I live in a very rural area with lots of hills and dips so signal is always dodgy. I now have the luxury of texting and calling from my sofa instead of having to stand on my bed waving my phone about like a lunatic And I'm luving my new Nokia Windows phone too

» Add a new message to this topic