FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > laptops

laptops

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've been without one now for about 2 months as kids have managed to break all 3..

think harddrives need replacing... Can anyone recommend best place to find out prices for repair and replacement harddrives.

I will hopefully be able to buy a new one in two months anyway.. but would just like to get one up and running for now

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Shame you a bit far away I would fix them for you for the cost of parts and maybe a blowy hehe

Lol. Also anyone know a way to try and recover the data.

By *ugzbunny1Man  over a year ago

Swindon

Sounds unlikely that it is hard drive problems on all 3. I would phone around and get some quotes. E.g. I have a local repair shop to me that charges £15 to diagnose and a further £20 plus parts for any fix. You can always buy parts second hand off ebay if they are expensive

It is harddrive on all three lol. X

By *ugzbunny1Man  over a year ago

Swindon

Well if it is they are quite easy to replace. I am currently trying to fix a laptop and i just wish it was the harddrive! My bottom cover is broken so have to completely strip it. The hard drive would be a breath of fresh air! Have a look on youtube and see- youmight find a vid showing the replacement of your particulare model

Data recovery can be expensive,

I know how to. Just looking for somewhere good to get harddrives.. two are Acer laptops. Both less than a year old. X

Ccl online is good

And

Eclipse computers

Have a go yourself pm me if need help

Okay will do thanks x

If they are less than a year old, send them back under warranty if there is no sign of obvious damage

"It is harddrive on all three lol. X"

Not trying to be funny here, just helping, but for someone that comes across as knowing nothing at all about computers, how do you know it's the HDD's on them that are faulty? The odds of three in a row being fubar are very slim indeed.

This might sound like a radical idea, but you would be better off posting full error reports and any diagnostics data you may have on a tech forum, for better advice.

Because I happen to know enough about them to know that it is.. it cannot boot off the drive.. so can't recover it. just says it's corrupt. That's on all three.

Laptops are very susceptible to hard drive failures. Due to the hidden saved content I don't want to take them into anywhere.

Most common fault with kids hdd don't like bouncing/ moving!

Is that data important?

Or you just don't want it to be seen.

"Because I happen to know enough about them to know that it is.. it cannot boot off the drive.. so can't recover it. just says it's corrupt. That's on all three.

Laptops are very susceptible to hard drive failures. Due to the hidden saved content I don't want to take them into anywhere. "

So all three cannot boot? Because? Are What exact bios message do you get appear on screen at startup?

There are many things that result in this happening, but to happen to all three suggests user errors such as heat damage or 'unfortunate' mft corruption etc.

You checked bios settings for boot priority etc?

If this is fruitless, and you *can't* send it off to be repaired, it leaves you little choice -

As the data (and your privacy) is worth more than any remaining warranty/value, then I'd recommend opening the case, removing the HDD's, and then plugging them into a caddy to recover the data. Format, re-install, and off you go again.

Assuming you're confident with a screwdriver, this is easily performed by anyone.

Good luck with it!

" You checked bios settings for boot priority etc? "

Had an issue with my last laptop, it suddenly wouldn't load/open Windows. Took it into a friendly local computer shop and inexplicably the bios priority settings had changed.

Took the guy 5 minutes to discover and sort, charged me a fiver!

» Add a new message to this topic