By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

Isn't it a third of there wage you should be charging

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

This is something I need to think about very soon

My sister used to whinge at my mum as she had to pay £20 a week ...i would love to live for that!

My sister charges her son £40 i think and he works

I guess that depends on the earning capacity or income of both child and parent….!.

Surely if the parents have committed themselves to a high level of household expenditure based on their own aspirations, it would seem unfair to expect their child to match that with a fully proportional contribution until such times as that child has a chance to earn/save enough to find a place of their own…

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Make it realistic but make them know they are getting a discount and need to save to move out! I have seen too many young people leave home and found themselves in debt really quickly as they got used to paying a pittance for their living expenses and spending the rest on fun.

By *ummy mummyWoman  over a year ago

southampton-ish

I charge mine a minimum of 5 kisses and cuddles a day each...ok... my son is only 7 and twin girls 5...so mayyybe does not count in this thread..lol

By *uperock99Man  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

Depends if you can afford not to ask for rent, if they work and spend money stupidly then yes you should charge them rent but secretly save it for them but if they are good at saving their money for their future then no. Saves you forking out in the future when they are dessprate.

By *azzaahh OP   Woman  over a year ago

north wales / chester

Ten pound a week .. she not working and is moaning like mad its costing me !!!!

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Ten pound a week .. she not working and is moaning like mad its costing me !!!! "

I suggest you ask her to do the weekly shopping for £10 or pay the electricity bill once a quarter.

north wales / chester

That's what the ten pound is she gets the electric once a week..does here shopping..well fills her trolley with crap then eats mine when she had run out bout week later

dudley

"I charge mine a minimum of 5 kisses and cuddles a day each...ok... my son is only 7 and twin girls 5...so mayyybe does not count in this thread..lol "

You got a spare room

By *heekychezzaWoman  over a year ago

warrington

"Ten pound a week .. she not working and is moaning like mad its costing me !!!! "

bloody hell...I gave my mum £15 a week when I last lived at home (I moved into my own place in June 1984) and was earning just over £6,000 a year as a clerical assistant.

I don't think letting your kids have an easy ride once they are earning is doing them any favours...surely part of being a good parent is to help them to become a resposible adult, and learning how to budget is a part of that

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

Many many years ago,(no I wasn;t up chimneys) I paid my Mum and Dad £10.00 per week, my wage was £25.00 per week before tax, can't remember my take home. I changed jobs and took a £5 per week drop in salary to get me on the foot of a ladder, my board stayed at £10 per week.

So I paid between 40 and 50% of my wage

southampton-ish

"I charge mine a minimum of 5 kisses and cuddles a day each...ok... my son is only 7 and twin girls 5...so mayyybe does not count in this thread..lol

You got a spare room "

haha...I am afraid not

north wales / chester

That's what the ten pound is she gets the electric once a week..does here shopping..well fills her trolley with crap then eats mine when she had run out bout week later

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

300.00 a month everything included

north wales / chester

Need to be tough i guess.sit down conversation is needed and not a shouting match like we have just had

we charge our youngest 120 pounds a month as she is a low earner but the money is always put away and saved

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I never paid anything....I have it to good with my parents I still do...however never took the piss...I was working when I last lived with them so gave my dad money towards food...

dudley

"I charge mine a minimum of 5 kisses and cuddles a day each...ok... my son is only 7 and twin girls 5...so mayyybe does not count in this thread..lol

You got a spare room

haha...I am afraid not "

I can bring a sleeping bag

My kids have left home now but before they moved out. I had nothing from them. I took £20 per week from them and and banked it. I then gave it all back to them the day they moved out to help them set up in their own places!

By *uperock99Man  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

"I never paid anything....I have it to good with my parents I still do...however never took the piss...I was working when I last lived with them so gave my dad money towards food..."
that's what I call good respect towards your parents

By *win PeaksCouple  over a year ago

Northamptonshire

I think it also depends on how much they are prepared to do round the house. I wouldn't be happy if I got paid £20 a week, and still had to do all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, ironing, picking up after them etc. Would happily give a discount if they were helping around OUR home.

N

£20.00 per week he works full time good wage he helps out with the household bills shopping etc so we would never ask for more and in return he is able to put money aside for when he can afford his own place

dudley

"I think it also depends on how much they are prepared to do round the house. I wouldn't be happy if I got paid £20 a week, and still had to do all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, ironing, picking up after them etc. Would happily give a discount if they were helping around OUR home.

N"

At fifteen I had to do my own washing ironing and cleaning my bedroom

"we charge our youngest 120 pounds a month as she is a low earner but the money is always put away and saved"

I earn about £9500 a year after tax and I pay £35 a week and I also buy my own food/toiletries on top of that. I say it if a child is spending money like there's no tomorrow and the parents are struggling then the child isn't paying enough rent. If the parents aren't struggling and the child is contributing them its fine. You have to work out what would your situation be of you didn't have the child's income. Plus you have to prepare them for the real world as when they leave home. They will have to pay for all the bills themselves.

southampton-ish

You got a spare room

haha...I am afraid not

I can bring a sleeping bag "

think I would have trouble trying to explain to the winks why there is a man in a sleeping bag here...

As far as I can recall (at my great age!) I always gave approx one-third to my Mum, regardless of what I earned - even when I got lucky at 23 and was on around £600 a week (1984).

No wonder she could afford to shop at Marks and Sparks!!

However, I was lucky enough to have never been out of work, so have no idea what I'd have done under those circumstances.

Ted.

By *oulou45Woman  over a year ago

Bucks

When I first started work I earned 40.00 a week. I used to pay 10.00 for my rent and food but also helped with housework etc.

By *nnebellWoman  over a year ago

somewhere

My daughter has come back home to live with along with my grandaughter. She pays £75per week, plus I also get her to give me an additional £50per week this I put away in an ISA. She has been shocking in the past regarding money.

By *nnebellWoman  over a year ago

somewhere

My daughter has come back home to live with along with my grandaughter. She pays £75per week, plus I also get her to give me an additional £50per week this I put away in an ISA. She has been shocking in the past regarding money.

» Add a new message to this topic