FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > New laptop

New laptop

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *innamon! OP   Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Well Dell have decided to give me a new computer cos mine is being a bitch...thank heavens for extended warranty..

windows 8 ? what problems will I encounter ..is it that different to 7 will I still be able to access here and cam ? hope it will be easy to manage. Advise please.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Get ready to be confused.

Everything on here will still work.

Just the user interface is a lot different from older windows.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Well Dell have decided to give me a new computer cos mine is being a bitch...thank heavens for extended warranty..

windows 8 ? what problems will I encounter ..is it that different to 7 will I still be able to access here and cam ? hope it will be easy to manage. Advise please."

People are scared of Windows 8, and Im still not sure why, I have gone from 7 to 8 with no problems, take a look at the online guides, you can still access your desktop from the apps menu, you still can access all of the www, including Fabswingers.

I toggle between windows 7 and windows 8 to make life easier

Oh man. Install the 'Classic shell' mod!

You'll get your start button back (a real one, not the half-arsed apology that is featured in 8.1), and set it to boot to desktop.

Ahh, functionality is back in the building!

By *innamon! OP   Woman  over a year ago

no matter

omg its sounds difficult..

By *un_JuiceCouple  over a year ago

Nr Chester

Heard a few horror stories maybe from sticklers scared of change. It looks really good tbh. Basic format to look at which yes you guessed paves the way for many,many more changes to come. They're probably 20 years in front of what's most recent.

" They're probably 20 years in front of what's most recent."

Not really, they've only really just caught up with the touch screen revolution. Win 8 is pretty cool if you have a touchscreen laptop/tablet pc, but otherwise it can be a clunky, annoying, piece of crap. :D

For those that use their computers for the same things that phones can do these days, there's no real issue, but professional users may be disappointed. For example, we have many USB devices that are not compatible yet, but your average mp3 player etc will be fine.

"omg its sounds difficult.. "

lol Not really.

Google for 'win 8 classic shell mod'.

Install classic shell.

During the install procedure it will ask you which version of windows you would like your start menu to look/function like (we prefer Win 7's start menu, so that's what we selected).

Among other things, it will also give the option to boot straight to desktop, bypassing the new Win Metro, should you prefer it to.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

"Well Dell have decided to give me a new computer cos mine is being a bitch...thank heavens for extended warranty..

windows 8 ? what problems will I encounter ..is it that different to 7 will I still be able to access here and cam ? hope it will be easy to manage. Advise please."

windows 8 aparently lets you use more ram. vista/windows 7 only let you use up to 3gb or something... now you can use up to 16gb, if you really didnt want ANY _elay on ordering ya next shoes.

could be wrong though

By *elMan  over a year ago

Coventry

"windows 8 aparently lets you use more ram. vista/windows 7 only let you use up to 3gb or something... now you can use up to 16gb, if you really didnt want ANY _elay on ordering ya next shoes.

could be wrong though"

Not quite true, if you were running a 32bit version of Vista / Win7 then it would only access (almost) 4Gb of Ram, most new systems now are 64bit, which doesn't have this limitation. Depended on your hardware, as you can run 32bit OS on a 64bit system but not vice versa.

If you get a new system with Win8 installed, it will almost certainly be 64bit.

» Add a new message to this topic