FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Termination

Termination

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just as another termination clinic is fire bombed what are the forumites views on pregnancy termination? Pro life at any costs or a woman's right to choose?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Fire bombed in the US by the way!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Dnt condone this as I lost my first born he was stillborn but it depends on the reason for the termination xxxx

A women's right to choose

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Choice x pro lifers are usually religious nuts x

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Right to choose all the way for me. Never been in the position, but were I to get caught I'd be hustling my backside along to the clinic quicker than you could say "Feck off, pro-lifers, it's my body"

I disagree unless there's medical reason I had a cot death which was horrendous there's enough family planning around so in my opinion there's no excuse

Prevention is better than cure.

Right to choose

"I disagree unless there's medical reason I had a cot death which was horrendous there's enough family planning around so in my opinion there's no excuse "
couldnt agree more xxx

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

Right to choose.

However I don't agree with people using it as contraception! Someone I know has had 3 in 2 years all due to d*unken one night mishaps!

I personally don't think I could ever have one though.

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

"Right to choose.

However I don't agree with people using it as contraception! Someone I know has had 3 in 2 years all due to d*unken one night mishaps!

I personally don't think I could ever have one though. "

My thoughts exactly.

- Amy. x

Bad enough when u loose one and then u have people that want to terminat I would only ever do that if there was something seriously wrong with the baby my baby was still born I would nt wish that on anyone

Kent

I do think tho that even tho I don't think I would have one it is better in some cases than bringing lots of unwanted children into the world. The termination cut off limit should be reduced to 12 weeks tho I think. It's waaaaay to high at the moment.

By * n zCouple  over a year ago

leamington spa

Right to choose............

And I've been in the unfortunate position where my third pregnancy went wrong and there was something badly wrong with the baby at the 12 week scan... .....as it happens the baby naturally died a few days later, although at this point I'd already decided to terminate, and after futher tests found out the baby had had a very rare syndrome in which most babies die in the womb and those that are born 95% don't make a year.

I stand by this decision there's no way I'd have brought a baby into the world like that for their sake, my sake and my other children.

However to use as others have said as a casual form of contraception is very wrong .

A

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

The right to choose for me, and I am guessing most people who has had to choose has not done it lightly....I wouldn't want to make that choice.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"I disagree unless there's medical reason I had a cot death which was horrendous there's enough family planning around so in my opinion there's no excuse couldnt agree more xxx"

Just medical reasons?? So if you are raped and get pregnant you have to live with the constant reminder, run the risk of neglecting a child through it being forced upon you? Yes you could have it adopted bit adoption homes are full of unwanted children as it is.

I don't think it should be something done Willy nilly. A girl I knew at middle school went on the game and effectively used it as contraception but I do think that of a person falls pregnant and feels completely unable to cope there should be evaluations etc to be done to determine if termination is appropriate.

If you take away the option you will just get more back street places doing it with coat hanger and a bottle of gin or whatever geniuses go use and then it becomes unregulated and dangerous.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

The right to choose.

"The right to choose for me, and I am guessing most people who has had to choose has not done it lightly....I wouldn't want to make that choice.

"

Right to chose here

I've had 2 terminations in the past decisions I came to as I had the right to chose!!

pro choice every time.

Right to choose in my eyes cause tbph there are too many kids getting pregnant having baby then pawning baby on to grandma! i know 3 girl that this has hppened to! absolutley horrific! i had the misfortune to have an ectopic pregnancy where it was in my own interest that i had it terminated. with a 20 month old already i dont think i could have coped worth a damn with a disabled child.

The right to choose, if a woman was raped and I believe she should have the option to abort the child but in early stages as the limit is to high at the moment so should be reduced

Scott

i find i get wound up by these subjects but yet i still find i'm drawn to them. im dead set against it and believe everything happens for a reason.

By *r and Mrs BiteMeCouple  over a year ago

Belbroughton, Stourbridge

non religious nut pro lifer here x

I think that there are enough preventative measures around x

Its people who have multiple abortions I struggle to understand - I could never have it in my head as a form of contraception which it so sadly gets used as

Defenitely pro choice but I have my doubts about terminations after 20 weeks unless there is a foetal abnormality or danger to the woman.

Kent

"Defenitely pro choice but I have my doubts about terminations after 20 weeks unless there is a foetal abnormality or danger to the woman."

I still think 20 weeks is far too late, it's fully formed and sex can be determined. In most cases people know they are pregnant by 4-6 weeks. And it's a hard decision to make for anyone but 3 months to choose is too long. IMHO x

Its a womans choice for all different reasons.

I don't agree with using them as a form of birth control but for other reasons im ok with it.

I had one myself as there were various complications and i was not going to take the risk of leaving my children possibly with no mother,i had already taken a big risk to have my daughter and it was a hellish time but she is here and we were both ok in the end...birth control had failed and for me it was my only option.

And you see so many unwanted children and what about in rape cases...they should have the choice...I think all the pro lifers should maybe put themselfs into the shoes of a 15 year old girl or a rape victim and see how they would feel then.

"Defenitely pro choice but I have my doubts about terminations after 20 weeks unless there is a foetal abnormality or danger to the woman.

I still think 20 weeks is far too late, it's fully formed and sex can be determined. In most cases people know they are pregnant by 4-6 weeks. And it's a hard decision to make for anyone but 3 months to choose is too long. IMHO x "

"Defenitely pro choice but I have my doubts about terminations after 20 weeks unless there is a foetal abnormality or danger to the woman.

I still think 20 weeks is far too late, it's fully formed and sex can be determined. In most cases people know they are pregnant by 4-6 weeks. And it's a hard decision to make for anyone but 3 months to choose is too long. IMHO x "

Unless for medical reasons i agree that 20 weeks is too far advanced and they still have to give birth that far on

1st abortion was due to being on carbamezpine would have caused major problems

2nd abortion was because the pill I was on was not effective due to my bipolar meds

I'm not ashamed I did it and never think of it and my life would be a mess with children being as though I've bipolar and why should the state support me and my kid which I could ill afford to keep???

I took preventative measures and got caught out but having children was never on the agenda for me!

So if you want to jump on me and have a go give it your best shot

It's a woman's right to choose...It's rarely an easy decision. Very few people abuse it..

I had to make the decision three years ago when my contraception failed drastically. It wasn't easy even though it was for my own health... But I would hate to think what would happen if we didn't have the choice.

"1st abortion was due to being on carbamezpine would have caused major problems

2nd abortion was because the pill I was on was not effective due to my bipolar meds

I'm not ashamed I did it and never think of it and my life would be a mess with children being as though I've bipolar and why should the state support me and my kid which I could ill afford to keep???

I took preventative measures and got caught out but having children was never on the agenda for me!

So if you want to jump on me and have a go give it your best shot "

I admire you for being sensible.

By *r and Mrs BiteMeCouple  over a year ago

Belbroughton, Stourbridge

Never sure why people always think prolifers are going to jump on them

I am pro life but could not force my choice onto someone else - I do understand that there are times when for someone else an abortion may seem the right choice - just for me it never would.

The only time I fell like jumping on someone is when I see - and I think it is getting more common people who have multiple ones over accidents - I struggle to get my head around being that careless!

"Just as another termination clinic is fire bombed what are the forumites views on pregnancy termination? Pro life at any costs or a woman's right to choose?"

I think its sad people have to be so aggressive in how they protest and feel they can force their views on others.

"Just as another termination clinic is fire bombed what are the forumites views on pregnancy termination? Pro life at any costs or a woman's right to choose?"

Ultimately the woman's choice, no one else should put pressure one way or the other.

I do agree that there should be a support group to help her with her choice.

By *oulou45Woman  over a year ago

Bucks

A woman has the right to choose. Last year my daughter had a termination 2 weeks past the legal limit. The baby had servere disabilities, she worried what people would say. I said if anyone says anything nasty they can come to work with me, I work with men with servere learning disabilities and challenging behaviour.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

A women's right to choose....

I'm adopted myself, it is still illegal in the country my birth mother is from, so obviously i wouldn't be here without it.

Hugely pro choice....ive had 2 terminations for different reasons and would certainly not hesitate in having another if i found myself in the unfortunate posiion of an unwanted pregnancy. With the utmost respect the fact that other women have lost babies should in no way be used to guilt trip womrn who have had terminations. It is not their fault. Pro lifers are certainly entitled to their view but their wishes will never become reality. What i or any other woman chooses to do with her own body should not be the business of anyone else. If you dont like abortion....then dont have one...dont interfere in other peoples private lives

"Never sure why people always think prolifers are going to jump on them

I am pro life but could not force my choice onto someone else - I do understand that there are times when for someone else an abortion may seem the right choice - just for me it never would.

The only time I fell like jumping on someone is when I see - and I think it is getting more common people who have multiple ones over accidents - I struggle to get my head around being that careless!

"

I agree in this day and age and with free contraception offered there is no need to not take precautions but sadly even now people just don't care, they get pregnant and then think its someone else's problem (the state)

evesham

[Removed by poster at 03/06/13 16:35:01]

evesham

"i find i get wound up by these subjects but yet i still find i'm drawn to them. im dead set against it and believe everything happens for a reason."

Sorry to be harsh here cute but would you say that rape happens for a reason then? I keep harping on about this not because I have experienced it personally bit because o cannot see how anyone would force someone yo carry the child of a man that assaulted her.

Yes a child is a life and a wonderful thing but that's usually when it's conceived out of love or even if not out of live it certainly was conceived with consent (on the woman's part. In terms of having sex, I know some men are duped into becoming fathers but that's a different story)

evesham

I agree in this day and age and with free contraception offered there is no need to not take precautions but sadly even now people just don't care, they get pregnant and then think its someone else's problem (the state) "

Sometimes precautions don't work though either due to illness, other medications, shear fluke etc.

If you are headset on not having a baby and take all necessary precautions bit still fall pregnant why should you be forced to change your life plan?

Also agree there Evie as precautions are not 100% safe!

I was happy to abort as I didn't want kids even though it was a mistake not of my doing ( yes I had sex) but was on the pill.

If you want kids then I'm happy for you all but only have them if you can afford them.

"i find i get wound up by these subjects but yet i still find i'm drawn to them. im dead set against it and believe everything happens for a reason.

Sorry to be harsh here cute but would you say that rape happens for a reason then? I keep harping on about this not because I have experienced it personally bit because o cannot see how anyone would force someone yo carry the child of a man that assaulted her.

Yes a child is a life and a wonderful thing but that's usually when it's conceived out of love or even if not out of live it certainly was conceived with consent (on the woman's part. In terms of having sex, I know some men are duped into becoming fathers but that's a different story)"

A friend of mine trapped her boyfriend by getting pregnant and he didn't want kids, she had the kid and they are no longer together and she's chasing him for maintance!

I think it depends on the reason (s).

As long as it isn't "yeah...you know I cant be arsed".

I dont think its a decision you make down the pub.

I think those that do it have legit reasons for doing so.

It's why I always use condoms. I'm not ready to bring a child into my life yet.

I'm commenting because this affects the male half too.

Ben

Every woman has the god given right to choose what to do with her own body

"Every woman has the god given right to choose what to do with her own body

"

Pro choice but not sure about terminations over 20 weeks without medical reasons (baby or mother) due to extent of development ... my boy was born at 25 weeks and he's a healthy 11 yo now. I understand an otherwise healthy baby has 10-35% of survival at 23 weeks gestation.

By *amie_leighWoman  over a year ago

coventry

"Pro choice but not sure about terminations over 20 weeks without medical reasons (baby or mother) due to extent of development ... my boy was born at 25 weeks and he's a healthy 11 yo now. I understand an otherwise healthy baby has 10-35% of survival at 23 weeks gestation. "

Totally agree with this as my son was born at 25 weeks and is now a healthy 17 year old.

No form of contraception is 100% reliable

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

There are very few women who would make the choice to terminate lightly. I don't want us to return to backstreet abortions and the risks associated with that.

CutenSassy, your 'everything happens for a reason' can encompass the reason being to test you and the strength you have to go through and live with an abortion. For those of us that have lost children and pregnancies finding and living with a 'reason' is not always easy. We all have to live with our decisions and 'it happens for a reason' suggests, to some extent, that there is a get out of jail free card.

There's a new novel out today about this. I can't remember what it's called but it was featured on Woman's Hour this morning.

I am a pro lifer and i am NOT religious nut by any means.

I simply think tht life begins at conception and that the new life is every bit as important if not then more so than the adults life !

"I disagree unless there's medical reason I had a cot death which was horrendous there's enough family planning around so in my opinion there's no excuse "

"Pro choice but not sure about terminations over 20 weeks without medical reasons (baby or mother) due to extent of development ... my boy was born at 25 weeks and he's a healthy 11 yo now. I understand an otherwise healthy baby has 10-35% of survival at 23 weeks gestation. "

I didn't think you could have one at all past 20weeks unless it's medical.

"Pro choice but not sure about terminations over 20 weeks without medical reasons (baby or mother) due to extent of development ... my boy was born at 25 weeks and he's a healthy 11 yo now. I understand an otherwise healthy baby has 10-35% of survival at 23 weeks gestation.

I didn't think you could have one at all past 20weeks unless it's medical. "

Not sure ... didn't look into that bit. It was mentioned in a previous post

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Right to choose.

I personally don't think I could ever have one though. "

I've stood by my baby's grave, but agree with the above.

It's not just the womans life though is it ? There is another life there too !

And yes, before anyone has a go at me for being a pro lifer, I have been in that circumstance with an unplanned pregnancy that is life threatening !

"It's not just the womans life though is it ? There is another life there too !

And yes, before anyone has a go at me for being a pro lifer, I have been in that circumstance with an unplanned pregnancy that is life threatening !"

It is still the woman's choice and only her choice... I disagree if they are using it as an after event contraception time and time again..

but it is still an option a woman should have.

I had the choice of carrying on and possibly ending up very ill... So I chose not to.. I'd been on the pill.. already had 6 kids but had not been advised my pill would be affected by my other medication. It was still not an easy choice but right then would have been a bad time as it was a total accident.

"It's not just the womans life though is it ? There is another life there too !

And yes, before anyone has a go at me for being a pro lifer, I have been in that circumstance with an unplanned pregnancy that is life threatening !"

That's as maybe but that was your choice and you were free to make it if there are severe disabilities or the lady has other children should someone be born with no quality of life or have theirs taken away....there is really no right answer but im sure the other ladies in situations like mine and who have had to make this choice knew what was right for them.

To some its the most devatasting decision they will have to make..I have known a few to completely fall to piewces. Just because a woman choose to end it does not mean that she will not be torn apart by that decision.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"

"To some its the most devatasting decision they will have to make..I have known a few to completely fall to piewces. Just because a woman choose to end it does not mean that she will not be torn apart by that decision. "

hardest thing in the world to do and not without its own complications its not to be taken lightly

I have "other children"

I have no problem with children with disabilities and neither do my other children

I am a pro lifer, i am the person who fights for the right of the unborn life.

My choice

well we can't uninvent terminations, so if they're banned they're going to go underground which will increase the risk of having one.

If you are pro life don't have one if you're pro choice, you have the choice. Why do people want to project their choice/opinion on others is what I don't understand. The sooner we learn to live happily with others differences the better, what is right for me is going to be wrong for someone else and vice versa.

"Pro choice but not sure about terminations over 20 weeks without medical reasons (baby or mother) due to extent of development ... my boy was born at 25 weeks and he's a healthy 11 yo now. I understand an otherwise healthy baby has 10-35% of survival at 23 weeks gestation.

I didn't think you could have one at all past 20weeks unless it's medical. "

You can terminate up to 24 weeks for any reason...doesnt have to be medical. Technically 2 doctors must agree there is a juststified reason for any termination and will usually use the danger to mental health if the pregnancy is continued reason.

You can however terminate up until birth if the mother or foetus is at risk of serious mental or physical harm.

"

I have "other children"

I have no problem with children with disabilities and neither do my other children

My choice "

Your choice yes. However your fight will always be in vain thankfully.

Hmm am i the only woman in the world who knows that if you are on the pill and you are taking other medication for what ever reason, it can effect it !! As already said there are so many forms of contraception out there, there really is very little reason for an unwanted pregnancy.

evesham

"Hmm am i the only woman in the world who knows that if you are on the pill and you are taking other medication for what ever reason, it can effect it !! As already said there are so many forms of contraception out there, there really is very little reason for an unwanted pregnancy. "

can effect what?

"Hmm am i the only woman in the world who knows that if you are on the pill and you are taking other medication for what ever reason, it can effect it !! As already said there are so many forms of contraception out there, there really is very little reason for an unwanted pregnancy.

can effect what?"

The efficiency of it.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

The effectiveness of the pill

evesham

"Hmm am i the only woman in the world who knows that if you are on the pill and you are taking other medication for what ever reason, it can effect it !! As already said there are so many forms of contraception out there, there really is very little reason for an unwanted pregnancy.

can effect what?

The efficiency of it."

oh, ok. in that case no because i wrote similar earlier on in the thread. yes there are other forms of contraception but they are not 100% certain either. i know people who have fallen pregnant on the implant and using condoms. you would argue they were 'double bagging' esentially but it still happened.

not everything is black and whuite, especially an issue such as this.

"Hmm am i the only woman in the world who knows that if you are on the pill and you are taking other medication for what ever reason, it can effect it !! As already said there are so many forms of contraception out there, there really is very little reason for an unwanted pregnancy. "

I knew that things like anti biotics can. But I was just on migraine tablets..

sure many women don't realise that the pill can be ineffective if your seriously overweight too. I only found out when discussing contraception after my accident.

can effect what?

The efficiency of it.

oh, ok. in that case no because i wrote similar earlier on in the thread. yes there are other forms of contraception but they are not 100% certain either. i know people who have fallen pregnant on the implant and using condoms. you would argue they were 'double bagging' esentially but it still happened.

not everything is black and whuite, especially an issue such as this."

Indeed not everything is black and white. We all have our on thoughts and feelings on subjects such as this. But we all know though that every time we have sex regardless of whether we use contraception or not we are all running the slight risk of getting pregnant.

evesham

so are you saying that if you dont want kids you never have sex?

No contraception is 100% effective

"so are you saying that if you dont want kids you never have sex?"

No i'm not saying that at all. I was just stating a fact.

evesham

"so are you saying that if you dont want kids you never have sex?

No i'm not saying that at all. I was just stating a fact."

but if you dont want kids so take contraception and use condoms and still get pregnant you should have the baby?

can effect what?

The efficiency of it.

not everything is black and whuite, especially an issue such as this.

Indeed not everything is black and white. We all have our on thoughts and feelings on subjects such as this. But we all know though that every time we have sex regardless of whether we use contraception or not we are all running the slight risk of getting pregnant."

Not if you have no oven you're not.

On a serious note I think it's up to the woman.

Just under 190,000 abortions were carried out in England and Wales in 2011. If we ban abortion who the hell would pay for and care for these unwanted children?

"so are you saying that if you dont want kids you never have sex?

No i'm not saying that at all. I was just stating a fact.

but if you dont want kids so take contraception and use condoms and still get pregnant you should have the baby?"

Like i said there are many different forms of contraception. And i certainly wouldn't tell a woman what she should or shouldn't do.

pro choice all the way. I have had abortions in the past and if i fell pregnant again, i would have another.

My kid is disabled and i would not risk bringing another disabled child into the world.

I have tried to get sterlised, and ive been refused.

Id happily cut out my own ovaries if i knew how to do it

"pro choice all the way. I have had abortions in the past and if i fell pregnant again, i would have another.

My kid is disabled and i would not risk bringing another disabled child into the world.

Id happily cut out my own ovaries if i knew how to do it"

I am on the waiting list to be sterilised and cant feckin wait You shouldnt be refused xx

Each to their own, and whilst prevention is better than cure, I had the jab and then got caught, so nothing is 100%.

I do, however, think women using termination as contraception should be given some form of counselling or something else to prevent it becoming a bad habit.

can effect what?"

That's bullocks!

I was on the combined pill but due to taking bipolar meds that effected the pill I got pregnant! So that is tosh what your saying

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

No..... but some women are dim, some are not women yet, some are too d*unk to think rationally in the moment, some think they are in a relationship and he does a bunk as soon as the tester goes blue..... shit happens.

No..... but some women are dim, some are not women yet, some are too d*unk to think rationally in the moment, some think they are in a relationship and he does a bunk as soon as the tester goes blue..... shit happens.

"

"I disagree unless there's medical reason I had a cot death which was horrendous there's enough family planning around so in my opinion there's no excuse couldnt agree more xxx

Just medical reasons?? So if you are raped and get pregnant you have to live with the constant reminder, run the risk of neglecting a child through it being forced upon you? Yes you could have it adopted bit adoption homes are full of unwanted children as it is.

I don't think it should be something done Willy nilly. A girl I knew at middle school went on the game and effectively used it as contraception but I do think that of a person falls pregnant and feels completely unable to cope there should be evaluations etc to be done to determine if termination is appropriate.

If you take away the option you will just get more back street places doing it with coat hanger and a bottle of gin or whatever geniuses go use and then it becomes unregulated and dangerous. "

well said

I don't want children, although if I got caught I don't think I could go through with a termination so I'm hoping I'm not one of the unlucky ones where the implant and condoms fails (or one of the little swimmers finally manages to find a route via the tonsils!)...I do however completely support a woman's right to choose abortion if that is something she wants as there are enough neglected and unwanted children in the world.

I don't think it should be used as an alternative to contraception, but in reality I think the number of women that would do this is tiny. I know women that have had abortions and none of them have taken the decision lightly x

Every situation is unique to the person involved. You have to live with the final decision. If family/friends don't support your decision they're not worth bothering with!!

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

"Bad enough when u loose one and then u have people that want to terminat I would only ever do that if there was something seriously wrong with the baby my baby was still born I would nt wish that on anyone "

But that's just you and you can't let your personal experience (tragic as it was) cloud your judgement and expect someone else to suffer.

I get it, I lost a baby too and haven't been able to have one since (and nor am I likely to), but I still believe it's a Woman's right to choose - ALWAYS.

I DON'T believe Women should use them as a form of contraception however.

*Her*

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

i do not think that termination is an efficient form of contraception and im sure that any woman would not take this course of action lightly.. however its a womans body and she must have the right to control the life choices she has to make.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Little reason but significant I was 46 when our contraception failed. A sensible married woman with all the right information, access to and use of 99% effective contraception....I was the 1% failure. How many miles would you have wanted to walk in my shoes at that time?

There was a very sad outcome, suffice it to say that a termination wasn't necessary but I was glad to know that the option was available to me if I'd needed it.

A few things come yo mind reading this thread

If your totally sure you don't want kids, then why not get sterilised as no other means is 100%

If there is a high chance of neither mother or baby surviving and you have other kids, is it not better that your kids have a mother than risk it for the sake of one unborn life?

With all the news atm about locked in syndrome and people wanting the right to end their lives, is it fair to bring a human into the world in that situation? But then again we wouldn't have stephen hawkins one of the greatest minds ever if his mother had made the choice of life for him.

How will the child of rape, especially incestual rape cope once they find out their background? Cos these days adoption isn't a big secret?

I don't think this is ever an easy argument with a solid answer.

But as someone has said when abortion is illegal you just get back street abortions and could u imagine the outcry then when woman die!

But noone should go to the extremes of burning places down etc. Extremists are always a problem and cause more problems in this world than they are trying to solve!

Everyone has the right to their own nbeliefs and everyone should respect that.

"pro choice all the way. I have had abortions in the past and if i fell pregnant again, i would have another.

Id happily cut out my own ovaries if i knew how to do it"

See a different doctor cos anyone can be sterilised!

See a different doctor cos anyone can be sterilised!"

I was refused 3 times.. even after 6 kids. So they won't always do it.

No u certainly aren't!

But do u not realise that no contreception is 100% and even more permenant things like the coil, injection, implant and condoms all fail..

I was refused 3 times.. even after 6 kids. So they won't always do it. "

Refused for what reasons

What about going private?

I was refused 3 times.. even after 6 kids. So they won't always do it. "

I know a woman with 7 kids and she was told they wouldn't even consider it till she was 30...she was 27 at the time. Wouldn't surprise me if she has more by now.

I do think it depends on the NHS Trust you fall under, but I know that as a 32yr old single woman with no children I'd be very unlikely to get sterilised no matter how hard I pleaded...doctor's wouldn't want to risk me finding 'the one' and suddenly wanting children - not for the sake of me but they wouldn't want to risk any kind of legal action if I could claim I wasn't properly counselled or advised. Cynical of me maybe but I know others that have tried

"A few things come yo mind reading this thread

If your totally sure you don't want kids, then why not get sterilised as no other means is 100%

If there is a high chance of neither mother or baby surviving and you have other kids, is it not better that your kids have a mother than risk it for the sake of one unborn life?

With all the news atm about locked in syndrome and people wanting the right to end their lives, is it fair to bring a human into the world in that situation? But then again we wouldn't have stephen hawkins one of the greatest minds ever if his mother had made the choice of life for him.

How will the child of rape, especially incestual rape cope once they find out their background? Cos these days adoption isn't a big secret?

I don't think this is ever an easy argument with a solid answer.

But as someone has said when abortion is illegal you just get back street abortions and could u imagine the outcry then when woman die!

But noone should go to the extremes of burning places down etc. Extremists are always a problem and cause more problems in this world than they are trying to solve!

Everyone has the right to their own nbeliefs and everyone should respect that."

I asked my doctor if I could when I was 35 he said no incase I changed my mind!

I just looked it up on the nhs website and it says if the woman is over 30 and doesn't want a pregnancy and isn't severly obese or had major problems with her uterus area then its fine. But that even under 30 can have it done altho they may suggest councilling first and even with health problems its not an impossibility.

If you want it bad enough and push for it they will give u a sterilisation. If u just go oh ok if they refuse then I guess the dr isn't going to think ur committed enough to the idea.

Off track I know,but I find it really odd that a woman can be refused a sterilisation yet a man can go get a vasectomy with hardly any questions asked at all as my OH did

"I just looked it up on the nhs website and it says if the woman is over 30 and doesn't want a pregnancy and isn't severly obese or had major problems with her uterus area then its fine. But that even under 30 can have it done altho they may suggest councilling first and even with health problems its not an impossibility.

If you want it bad enough and push for it they will give u a sterilisation. If u just go oh ok if they refuse then I guess the dr isn't going to think ur committed enough to the idea."

Well if you've read it on the internet then it must be absolute fact and personal experiences must be figments of the imagination

"

Refused for what reasons

What about going private?"

my age and my weight and the fact I'm now a single mum. I was 32 last time I asked.. and I can't afford to go private.

So I use the pill and have the implant and mostly use condoms. But if that all fails then it would depend on many circumstances.. but I am glad I have the choice.

I remember watching a programme about ladies in Ireland that were having to come over to the UK to pay for private abortions.

"Off track I know,but I find it really odd that a woman can be refused a sterilisation yet a man can go get a vasectomy with hardly any questions asked at all as my OH did"
because sterilization is major surgery I think.

"A women's right to choose"

Woman's body woman's choice.

I know a woman with 7 kids and she was told they wouldn't even consider it till she was 30...she was 27 at the time. Wouldn't surprise me if she has more by now.

I do think it depends on the NHS Trust you fall under, but I know that as a 32yr old single woman with no children I'd be very unlikely to get sterilised no matter how hard I pleaded...doctor's wouldn't want to risk me finding 'the one' and suddenly wanting children - not for the sake of me but they wouldn't want to risk any kind of legal action if I could claim I wasn't properly counselled or advised. Cynical of me maybe but I know others that have tried"

You have to sign a disclaimer that would stop u being able to sue them.

I know a guy who had surgery for bowel cancer and it all went horribly wrong and he ended up in an awful state, but nothing he could do as he had signed the consent form to say if anything went qwrong then tough basically.

Unless you can prove that something went wrong through neglect then you don't stand a chance. If they offer u help and support before the surgery and u take it then it will all be noted that they have done all they can to support u with ur decision. If u refuse the help then they would prob refuse the op

"Off track I know,but I find it really odd that a woman can be refused a sterilisation yet a man can go get a vasectomy with hardly any questions asked at all as my OH did"

I know and I know men in their early 30's who have had it..I know you can have it reversed but its still expensive...and not always successful..

By *andd2Couple  over a year ago

The Dungeon

A womans right to choose. It's nobody else's, not the politicians, not the religious fruitcakes, no-one except the womans. Not even the potential fathers, though you'd have to be a right bastard not to include him in the decision making process but the ultimate decision remains with the woman.

"Off track I know,but I find it really odd that a woman can be refused a sterilisation yet a man can go get a vasectomy with hardly any questions asked at all as my OH didbecause sterilization is major surgery I think. "

Its keyhole day surgery, not major these days

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

I have "other children"

My choice "

may i ask what's your stance on what the OP said happened in the US..?

i am for a womans right to choose btw..

"I just looked it up on the nhs website and it says if the woman is over 30 and doesn't want a pregnancy and isn't severly obese or had major problems with her uterus area then its fine. But that even under 30 can have it done altho they may suggest councilling first and even with health problems its not an impossibility.

If you want it bad enough and push for it they will give u a sterilisation. If u just go oh ok if they refuse then I guess the dr isn't going to think ur committed enough to the idea.

Well if you've read it on the internet then it must be absolute fact and personal experiences must be figments of the imagination "

As I said it was the nhs website! Doctors have to follow guidelines.. So yh I will put trust into the nhs website and have u never heard of needing a second opinion? I've learnt in life never to rely on what just one dr says!

"Off track I know,but I find it really odd that a woman can be refused a sterilisation yet a man can go get a vasectomy with hardly any questions asked at all as my OH didbecause sterilization is major surgery I think. "

I thought it was an in and out day case minor procedure these days.....not that ive checked as have no need to now

By *icky55Man  over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"

I have "other children"

My choice "

You may not have a problem with disabilties, or quality of life of your children, but others do. Your end of coment says it all MY CHOICE as you belive no other woman should have one, and you will fight to take it away.

"Off track I know,but I find it really odd that a woman can be refused a sterilisation yet a man can go get a vasectomy with hardly any questions asked at all as my OH didbecause sterilization is major surgery I think.

Its keyhole day surgery, not major these days"

it still requires anesthesia.. where as vasectomy doesn't require you to be put under.

I was told it was classed as major surgery and as such I couldn't have it.

"Off track I know,but I find it really odd that a woman can be refused a sterilisation yet a man can go get a vasectomy with hardly any questions asked at all as my OH didbecause sterilization is major surgery I think.

I thought it was an in and out day case minor procedure these days.....not that ive checked as have no need to now "

I was sterilized at 29 and was only in for a day not overnight keyhole surgery 2 stitches which i had out at my GP practice

It's not classed as major surgery. I was in and out the same day.

It is a VERY small percentage of abortions that could be classed as birth control. Nothing like a few people to abuse the system to put the whole thing into the danger of an outright ban.

It's not as simple as that. Sterilisation is a complete postcode lottery. The NHS are also loathed to do it as cheaper, reversible, safer and more effective long term reversible forms of contraception (IUS/IUD/Nexplanon) exist.

5-9% of patients later regret their choice for vasectomy/female sterilisation due to change f circumstances,new relationship or a change of heart. Reversibility of sterilisation is often costly, not always successful and often associated with complications. Many need IVF which is not funded if a patient has previously chosen to be sterilised.

That's why sterilisation is not always the most effective or easiest option.

Refused for what reasons

What about going private?"

would you like to pay for my private treatment then? cause i would love to get it done

By *adyA01Woman  over a year ago

Wellington

A Womans right to choose!

As a mother of 2, I can honestly say that terminating a pregnancy is the hardest decision I ever had to make!

Until I was in that position of being pregnant but knowing it was not the right thing, I had always been against it! I have now learnt until you are in that position yourself! Never judge!

Unfortunately for me contraception did not work! I am also one of those freaky women that know almost instantly that I am pregnant!

The morning after pill also did not work!! I am not going to go into the personal reasons as to why I felt I couldn't have another baby on top of the two I had as it was a bad time in my life, but I knew it was the right decision, but also the hardest one and I agonised over it and beat myself up over it! I walked into theatre with tears rolling down my face and when I woke upafterwards I still had tears rolling down my face!

In my head I know she was a girl and she is always with me x

8 years on and in a much better place, I still look back and know that it was the right thing to do. And I believe I am a better Mum to my other children because of it!

Termination is the hardest decision ever but knowing how hard that decision is, I know for the majority of women choosing it, they must have some bloody good reasons to go down that road.

I was originally referred to be sterilised at 24 when.i hsd to.kids but fell.pregnant with my third before i got a date.

right to choose!

I've had 3 terminations, one as a teenager after being attacked, one at the very beginning of a relationship at 19 and one whilst being extremely ill. I've also lost 7 babies and recently been told that I may never have children of my own. I would love nothing more than to be a mum one day, and it devastates me that I may never have the chance. But I don't, for one minute regret the terminations I had, they were the right choices for me and the baby at the time.

I don't agree with people using abortion as contraception, but for the right reasons, it is the best choice for many!

It is, by far, one of the hardest things a woman can ever do though!

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Right to choose - no debate, no argument. No one should have the right to FORCE a woman to procreate. Accidents DO happen. The only way to guarantee 100% not to get pregnant is to NEVER have sex.

And for those who talk about women using abortion as contraception - go through an abortion and then say it so easily!

evesham

It does happen though. Some women have the ability to cut off their emotion from it. Like I said I knew a girl on the game who got knocked up a few times and just had abortions. She'd talk about them like they were nothing because she had no attachment to the pregnancy and just saw it as something that would cost her money and customers.

I'll grant you it might not be many that warlike that but it does happen.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"It does happen though. Some women have the ability to cut off their emotion from it. Like I said I knew a girl on the game who got knocked up a few times and just had abortions. She'd talk about them like they were nothing because she had no attachment to the pregnancy and just saw it as something that would cost her money and customers.

I'll grant you it might not be many that warlike that but it does happen. "

How people present is not always how they feel. She had her reasons, losing money and customers. Treating it as a business decision may be a way of coping. I don't know her, of course, and you do. What I do know is that what people say, how they say it and the face they put on things doesn't always reflect what is happening inside.

» Add a new message to this topic