FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Gym advice!

Gym advice!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi,

So I am looking to bulk up. I currently swim every day about 40 lengths and run twice a week about 8 miles.

My problem is that I do not see to bulk. I did play rugby at a good standard and use't to be bigger then. However, I cannot go back to rugby due to injury and I find weights in the gym so boring. Has any one got any suggestions? Xxx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

Have you tried cake?

"Have you tried cake?"

Oh come on you could have done so much better than that lol!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

the gym i go to has plasmas on the wall so i can watch whatever really while busting the rowing machine for half a hr,also most other people wear walkmans now but i don't like the fact you become unawear of things around you with them on as you can't hear anything else.

in the night garden

"Have you tried cake?

Oh come on you could have done so much better than that lol!"

No, I like cake.

By *ontystashMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Get that protein shakes and cut down on your running and swimming for a few weeks just to put that bit of weight on then you got Something to work on m8

What about those shakes for bulking up? Like whey, promax etc?

"Have you tried cake?

No, I like cake."

Lol ok thanks - what type?

"What about those shakes for bulking up? Like whey, promax etc?"

Do they work?

You really dont need shakes to be honest, theyre quite a myth tbh. you can get a good amount of protein from other sources

Swimming and running are cardio exercises so you wont bulk up by doing those. Like it or not, youll have to lift weights or heavy objects to bulk up as youll need to work your muscles. You dont hjave to go to the gym and can do home exercises i.e Insanity that will get you LEAN, but not big and bulky.

Do no cardio at all.you can do that to lean up when you ave the bulk.

Eat lots and lift heavy weights.there is no secrets to it.jst lift eat and sleep

"You really dont need shakes to be honest, theyre quite a myth tbh. you can get a good amount of protein from other sources

Swimming and running are cardio exercises so you wont bulk up by doing those. Like it or not, youll have to lift weights or heavy objects to bulk up as youll need to work your muscles. You dont hjave to go to the gym and can do home exercises i.e Insanity that will get you LEAN, but not big and bulky."

I thought this might be the case!! Thanks for your advice

Time to find a gym!

"Do no cardio at all.you can do that to lean up when you ave the bulk.

Eat lots and lift heavy weights.there is no secrets to it.jst lift eat and sleep "

Nice body (both). Males body is what I am trying to achieve what is his routine?

heavy compound lifts and an increase in calories consumed

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

black pudding.

didnt work for me as I have a very fast motabolism, though all my friends bulked massively when we had a try at getting a little muscle on..

Yes, gaining muscle mass comes down to lifting heavy and eating well, but never forget that your ultimate results are dependant upon your genetics - some people simply don't have the genetic potential to add much size.

Ever tried boxing?

in the night garden

"Have you tried cake?

No, I like cake.

Lol ok thanks - what type? "

Probably Ginger Cake is my favourite but I like them all really.

BTW those hi protein shakes are whack yo. You get the same thing from drinking a McDonald's milk shake.

By *kin BohnerMan  over a year ago

derby

I find I only have to walk past a cake shop and I 'bulk' up...

All protein shakes are, is an easy way to get extra protein into your diet, so they're great if you don't like eating huge amounts of food or are in a hurry. I haven't used them in years, but I remember most brands had around 40g of protein per serving, whereas in a pint of milk you get around 14-15g.

Creatine is very good , but to be fair you do need to do weights or get a very manual job , when I worked as a drayman it was like going to the gym for 8 hrs a day certainly put some inches on my top half with all them barrels and cases everyday

I find that body-weight exercises eg press-ups burpees etc. mixed with some progressively heavier kettle-bell exercises really work.

Get some good instruction on using Kettle-bells, they're great for core strength and upper body muscle mass. But used badly they can really injure your back & shoulders

You will get more protein from a Chicken breast than a shake, but if you really want to use a protein add a scoop of vanilla protein to a bowl of porridge in the morning, tastes great.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

yep, I'd agree, free weights act on muscles not used in machines as you have to balance with other parts of the body, either toning them or adding to muscle groups

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

You do need resistance training.. If the gym bores you you can achive remarkable results from body weight. As suggested compound moves are best , although it is possible to gain weight without protein drinks , supplementing will help a hard gainer, aim to eat 4 to 6 times a day and for your height depending on your work out intensity around 3500 cals . I drink 2 litres skim milk most days , nuts are your friend too . Have a hi gi carbohydrate with protein after work out , oh how could I forget eggs and more eggs and oats

45 mins of intensive body weight pull ups , wide arm slow press ups , and slow deep squats

By *riskygazMan  over a year ago

birmingham

Weight training can get a bit boring at times, but I think it is the only way your going to get any real muscle mass on you, I know Olympic swimmers have great bodies but I don't think for one minute they look like that without doing a good few hours a week in the gym, I am not a massive guy but I did manage to get a decent toned looking body with a enough muscle that people new I went to the gym regular, I went three times a week and broke the workout down into doing certain body parts each day, like chest and shoulders one day back and legs , then on final day it would be arms most people seamed to do this sort of thing, then you give them muscles groups a good pounding, rather than doing your whole body at once, it's hard work but you soon see the results after a couple of months.

ashby de la zouch

45 mins each rotated once every 3 4 days .

All this said , you need to build the intensity gradually and carefully , warm up and down

Shakes before work outs and plenty of eggs and red meat and milk too,

Sources - have a friend who cage fights

By *ubywants2playCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle

Yes, get a Personal Trainer! Getting a personal trainer will get you the result you want quicker than you will be able to achieve it yourself.

It is worth asking if it is truly size you want or definition. A lot of guys say they want to bulk up when all they actually want is to be ripped. If you do want to be ripped best not to over indulge in calories as shredding fat isn't the easiest thing in the world to do!

you can add some ground oats to ur shakes for some added carbs/calories

if your looking to bulk i`d be blending my own bulk shakes. its amazing the calories and foods you can fit into a big cup

"Ever tried boxing?"

No but thought about it. Why?

Thanks for all the advice poeple, really Appreciate it

"Do no cardio at all.you can do that to lean up when you ave the bulk.

Eat lots and lift heavy weights.there is no secrets to it.jst lift eat and sleep

Nice body (both). Males body is what I am trying to achieve what is his routine? "

thanks.

i go the gym 4 or 5 times p/w

there will be lots of keyboard p.t's telling you to do this and do that.

just eat lots of calories and lift as heavy as you can.it takes time

Your exercise regime is burning away any muscle you could build.

Swim and run once a week do weights x3 a week and eat 1 gram of protein for each pound of bodyweight you have.

E.g 13 stone is 182 pounds so you need to eat about 182 grammes of protein a day to build and retain muscle at that Weight.

Go to gym 3 or 4 times a week.

Focus on the heavy compound movements.

Cut down on the cardio

Eat a diet rich in protein.

That's a good start

By *rKDMan  over a year ago

London

find out your weight in pounds! multiply it by 2 then thats how much protein you must eat daily in order to gain muscle.... so if you weight 100pounds you must eat 200grams of pro a day if you weight 150 you must eat 300grams and so on..stop doing cadio as it will keep you metabalism at full speed and youl never gain weight, you have to some weights or else you wont get hungrey enuff to consume all the extra protein..hope it helps

"just eat lots of calories and lift as heavy as you can.it takes time"

Probably the best advice on the thread - well, apart from mine of course

"find out your weight in pounds! multiply it by 2 then thats how much protein you must eat daily in order to gain muscle.... so if you weight 100pounds you must eat 200grams of pro a day if you weight 150 you must eat 300grams and so on"

This is false by the way, the highest protein amount ever concluded in any scientific testing was 1g per lb of bodyweight AT THE VERY MOST (this was assuming a person with absolute top line genetic potential for muscle building training as hard as they possibly could) - the 1.5-2g rule was cooked up by supplement companies looking to sell more product.

ashby de la zouch

He should have said 2 grams per kilo which nigh on equates to a gram per pound .I'm 75 kg and aim for 120 to 160 G

» Add a new message to this topic