FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Any aquarium enthusiasts around HELP

Any aquarium enthusiasts around HELP

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eryBigGirl OP   Woman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

My tropical aquarium has sprung a leak. I noticed water last weekend but couldn't establish where from so cleaned it up and left it and now there's a puddle again.

I've not got a bloody clue how to work out where it's coming from as obviously water gravitates to the lowest part so it's the bottom of the tank that's wet. Are there such things as aquarium repairers?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I've just googled "aquarium repairs east yorkshire" and found pages of them....

Good luck....

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

rub fairy liquid over base of tank liberally and it will start to bubble where the leak is

Have you checked to see that its not just condensation dripping from the lid/light canopy ….?.

Empty it, dry it and seal it with clear sanitary sealant?

By *ll-Knight-longMan  over a year ago

Derby/Notts(Long Eaton)

Do you have an external filtration and pump system as sometimes the 'o' rings can be trapped when cleaning the filters. Plus as previously mentioned condensation dripping down.

East Yorkshire

"I've just googled "aquarium repairs east yorkshire" and found pages of them....

Good luck.... "

Your better than me then cos I did the same and the only one it came up with don't do domestic aquariums!!

East Yorkshire

Nope it's not condensation from the lid.

Wish I could lift it to run fairy liquid on the bottom

And no it's a juwel aquarium so the filtration etc is all built in!!

Guess I'm gonna just have to empty and reseal which is a bit of a bastard. I'm useless at stuff like that

Is it an all glass tank,or one of those moulded acrylic ones.

If its all glass, check each corner edge,wipe dry and then use tissue paper to locate the leaking edge.

Silicone repair is possible from the outside but is difficult.

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

Don't use sanitary sealant!!! You'll kill the fish, unless you plan to leave it empty for several years.

Use ClearSeal aquarium sealant. Available from Pets at Home and most other independent retailers, or Ebay!! A little more pricey then sanitary sealant, but made for the purpose.

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

P.S. If it is one of the Jewel bow front tanks they are known for springing leaks in the bottom right corner, don't know if that helps any!!

Aquarium Sealant by King British, can be used while the tank is full so no need to drain off or remove fish.

Available from pets at home for around £5

"Don't use sanitary sealant!!! You'll kill the fish, unless you plan to leave it empty for several years.

Use ClearSeal aquarium sealant. Available from Pets at Home and most other independent retailers, or Ebay!! A little more pricey then sanitary sealant, but made for the purpose. "

East Yorkshire

"Is it an all glass tank,or one of those moulded acrylic ones.

If its all glass, check each corner edge,wipe dry and then use tissue paper to locate the leaking edge.

Silicone repair is possible from the outside but is difficult.

"

It's a glass tank. I've felt round the edges and can't feel where it's wet I think it's at the bottom but that sits in a lip so can't get to it without emptying the whole thing cos I can't lift it

East Yorkshire

"P.S. If it is one of the Jewel bow front tanks they are known for springing leaks in the bottom right corner, don't know if that helps any!! "

It's a flat front but thanks anyway I think it is a bottom corner cos I can't get to them yet - typical!!

Have you got a siphon to use? Maybe remove some of the water that way to get to the bottom x

"Don't use sanitary sealant!!! You'll kill the fish, unless you plan to leave it empty for several years.

Use ClearSeal aquarium sealant. Available from Pets at Home and most other independent retailers, or Ebay!! A little more pricey then sanitary sealant, but made for the purpose. "

Was going suggest asking you but couldn't remember your username here- stick to one name will you, I'm easily confused

» Add a new message to this topic