FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Complaining in Restaurants!

Complaining in Restaurants!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How good are you?

Not just for the sake of it - but when service is crap, slow or rude, or when food is undercooked, overlooked or not what you ordered?

Just been to a certain restaurant with friends after a late night at a club. On our last visit the drinks to an age to arrive and as a result of commenting we all got them free! Today the coffees turned up with off milk and then the food took an eternity to Arrive and was pretty naff and partially undercooked.

So today one of us (mentioning no names - but she was slightly hungover which I think helped!) complained to the management in such a 10/10, perfect angry customer way - that we got everything for free - all food and drinks!!

Result!!

So do you grin and bear it? Or are you happy and confident to air your unhappiness?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I not only served in a resturant I've managed one so I am the WORST person to eat out with....I expect things to be like I ordered them!!! I'm not mean to anyone though but I do make my point well known! lol

By * Jay69Man  over a year ago

Bridgwater - Somerset

I would hesitate to send something back (undercooked, cold etc.) you do not know what may happen to it before it returns!

If the meal is particularly dire - explain and walk.

If service poor, slow, complain towards the end of the meal. You are able to do the equivalent of a reverse tip, meal was 30% below standard, I'm paying 30% less - easier if paying cash, of course.

I have friends who work in the catering trade, and would never send anything back after hearing the stories from them!

If I am unhappy with the food or service, I simply do not return to that establishment.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I wouldn't hesitate to share my dissatisfaction discreetly , with the management of the restaurant.

I wouldn't respect any member of the party complaining loudly or being angry.

If I don't get satisfaction after showing them courtesy I don't settle for it and take it further.

I out did myself, I've never got everything free before. To be fair the service was utterly shocking, and my complaining was epic!!

By *unPeteMan  over a year ago

Near Bristol

Having worked in a restaurant as a student, I would never send a meal back. My advice is walk! explain why and offer to pay for the stuff you consumed but never eat anything that comes out of the kitchen twice!

I always complain if the food is bad, been known to walk out if the service is bad too

Seriously?..

I can handle bad food..ill eat it.

But if I get rude service, I'll let them know about it.

Rude service pisses me off.

By *picenicelyCouple  over a year ago

third star on the right

I (Mrs) am usually the one who complains. If we have got bad service or bad food I usually ask management about their standards and then point out how they have utterly failed to meet them then ask if they were in my situation what would they do? Depending on my mood at that moment its usually done with a lovely smile on my face while I tell them how utterly abysmal our experience has been

Usually end up with everything free

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"How good are you?

Not just for the sake of it - but when service is crap, slow or rude, or when food is undercooked, overlooked or not what you ordered?

Just been to a certain restaurant with friends after a late night at a club. On our last visit the drinks to an age to arrive and as a result of commenting we all got them free! Today the coffees turned up with off milk and then the food took an eternity to Arrive and was pretty naff and partially undercooked.

So today one of us (mentioning no names - but she was slightly hungover which I think helped!) complained to the management in such a 10/10, perfect angry customer way - that we got everything for free - all food and drinks!!

Result!!

So do you grin and bear it? Or are you happy and confident to air your unhappiness? "

I complain - I am paying for goods and service and expect to get what I pay for the same as anything else I buy.

By *taffsfella1Man  over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

"I out did myself, I've never got everything free before. To be fair the service was utterly shocking, and my complaining was epic!! "

*makes a note not to do anything to make Ruby Sophia complain at the Cupids Forum party*

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"How good are you?

Result!!

So do you grin and bear it? Or are you happy and confident to air your unhappiness? "

I don't eat out that often and I tend to order something I seldom eat: steak, and I like it rare/medium rare.

You betcha I'll send it back if it's well done. Think I sent it back three times in one place, told them not to bother in the end!

That's the only thing I'm anal about, anything else I just don't go back!

I would always complain fully having worked in the catering trade I would expect nothing less than perfect...

But if you eat the food then complain don't expect any results if it was edible then live with it !!

"I out did myself, I've never got everything free before. To be fair the service was utterly shocking, and my complaining was epic!! "

your good at complaining lol.. and amazingly funny with a hang over x

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I've sent substandard food and drinks back several times over the years, I think it's more to do with how one complains, rather than the complaint itself - I've never ranted about it, merely pointed out politely to the serving staff what the issue is. Probably 7 times out of 10 I've ended up with a free meal/drinks and the other times had a bit knocked off the bill or free pudding/extra drinks. With regards to the comments regarding what your food/drinks comes back like, I've also been on the serving end in the past, and can categorically state that in the establishments I worked in, there was never an issue with that sort of thing

Should also state, I rarely complain about service, only quality of food/drinks - if service is bad, but food is good I just don't visit again

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I will complain quietly and politely when it is necessary to do so. I will also make sure I address it to the manager/ owner rather than the staff who are possibly not responsible.

If I do not get a satisfactory outcome I would not return and I would probably say so.

Equally, when I had exceedingly good service would mention this to the relevant manager.

By *a petite madameWoman  over a year ago

London / Essex

"I will complain quietly and politely when it is necessary to do so. I will also make sure I address it to the manager/ owner rather than the staff who are possibly not responsible.

If I do not get a satisfactory outcome I would not return and I would probably say so.

Equally, when I had exceedingly good service would mention this to the relevant manager. "

I do complain and where necessary send it back but tell them not to bother bringing anything else unless it's an open kitchen where I can see the food

No I don't keep quiet and have had a meal half price which was already on special offer as the service was diabolical; took an hour for us to get our meal, no cutlery for my pasta and not even asked, had to go off to search for some, first woman offered to get some but didn't come back, second woman came with cutlery. Fizzy orange changed twice and still flat, never ever will I visit Pizza hut!

Second place, the Embury in Tewkesbury, starter got thrown at us, was rock hard as was the pastry in my friends pie so complained and got the price of my steak back, another place not to eat at

Third place was a Greene King again in Tewkesbury, entire meal came out of bags ie frozen roast potatoes. Ordered dessert, frozen in the middle, got a replacement, still frozen, gave up and went home.

Will stick with the Toby Carvery, meal may be cheap but at least it tastes good and the service is fantastic

if the service or food is crap, I'm the first to pipe up!

If I am not happy I will have a quiet word. The waiters want feedback as do the owners as both livelihoods are based on people coming back and recommending places to friends. I think if you have a problem you need to let them know but do it politely without a scene. I have only had to do it a couple of times and never had a problem doing so.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

We went to a new place and the waitress was an arse so I gave the Manager some feedback on the way out.

The second time we went the food took an age and when it arrived it was awful, so we spoke to the manager to let him know we were not going to eat it and obviously he didn't charge us for it.

I wouldn't go in angrily though, I am surprised anything got resolved if that is what happened.

As chef In understand that the kitchen can be busy, and so some mistakes are done, but as customer I expect the meal perfectly cook and in time, so when I have a problem i don't doubt about tell to the staff, I'm spending money to have great food, if I only want to eat I'd go tesco and buy ready to eat food, maybe been a chef is more difficult to be feed

a few companys has the policy of give the food for free to avoid bad reviews

I tend to not complain just not go back.

I complained at an Indian in Stevenage once which resulted in the police attending after the manager tried to stab me with a meat skewer.

"I tend to not complain just not go back.

I complained at an Indian in Stevenage once which resulted in the police attending after the manager tried to stab me with a meat skewer. "

I managed to find the CCTV footage of 2wheels complaining

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdzqTGmEcZE

I got a £260 Bill reduced to £60 for complaining about poor service and standards. We Brits don't complain enough about poor service

Completely agree.people often start ranting or speaking very loud to the serving staff when complaining. Mistakes can happen we are human and there's a way to point out what that is without sounding like a right pompous nobhead. I've worked in service trade in the past and would be quite happy to help and offer a solution to those who were polite and respectful but there is no need for verbal abuse.

"Completely agree.people often start ranting or speaking very loud to the serving staff when complaining. Mistakes can happen we are human and there's a way to point out what that is without sounding like a right pompous nobhead. I've worked in service trade in the past and would be quite happy to help and offer a solution to those who were polite and respectful but there is no need for verbal abuse."

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"I tend to not complain just not go back.

I complained at an Indian in Stevenage once which resulted in the police attending after the manager tried to stab me with a meat skewer.

I managed to find the CCTV footage of 2wheels complaining

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdzqTGmEcZE"

Priceless!!

"

I complained at an Indian in Stevenage once which resulted in the police attending after the manager tried to stab me with a meat skewer. "

You win emphatically

Meat Skewer you say?...

Sounds like complain in a restaurant in Stevenage and you have a 50% chance of being impaled. Nice.

I see now why Lewis Hamilton fucked off to Switzerland.

By *atasha_DavidCouple  over a year ago

Slough

Free food or drink? They bought you off!

If a food outlet is bad it is ultimately due to poor management and they will happily comp part or all of a meal to avoid what they most fear.

A letter to head office!

By all means get what you can on the night but if you actually want to do some good, go over local managements head and drop them in shit with head office.

It is the only way in any chain restaurant to get real notice taken of you. Oh and they probably offer you a voucher for another meal in the future.

I'm beginning to regret sending stuff back and complaining after reading some of these posts

If something is under or over cooked or just wrong i will complain but im always very polite about it,normally they sort it out and are cool about it

I complained today actually but for alcohol not food, I ordered a pitcher of a cocktail as we had one before and liked it, when we tasted it, it was all pineapple and ice, hardly any booze, the owner who is known by all as an arrogant twat argued with me then threw it away and chucked me a refund, the girls had to restrain me as I was about to leap over the bar and belt him one! I only asked for what it said on the menu.

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

I was married to a chef for 14 years and always tell a manager if the service/food is rubbish.

I also never ever pay a service charge if its put on a bill - you do NOT have to pay it - it's optional. I prefer to give a tip directly to the server if I've had a good meal.

I've also been known to thank a manager if its been exceptional too. Great service should always be rewarded too

(My mechanics will vouch for that - they went over and above for me so I dropped a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts off for them a couple of days later)

Falkirk

[Removed by poster at 26/05/13 19:34:35]

Falkirk

[Removed by poster at 26/05/13 19:34:59]

Falkirk

"Completely agree.people often start ranting or speaking very loud to the serving staff when complaining. Mistakes can happen we are human and there's a way to point out what that is without sounding like a right pompous nobhead. I've worked in service trade in the past and would be quite happy to help and offer a solution to those who were polite and respectful but there is no need for verbal abuse."

Oh I agree with this, that's why I always complain politely to a manager - never the server as its the manager who needs to put it right.

And yes, calling and writing to head office is always a good idea too

Falkirk

I really should read what I've typed for typos first lol

I do the very British thing, and rarely complain..... However, I will go out of my way to compliment good service whenever I get it..

Unfortunately, it's not around very often!

What's been your best service?

As a ex Chef it amazes me that people think if food comes back we do something horrible to it All we want to do is sort it quick and a fresh meal is top of the list.

I am also the worst critic but wouldn't dream of complaining loudly about food or service. What I will do and have done is had a quiet word with the Manager x

I don't complain very often in restaurants, in fact I can't remember the last time I did.

I would never be angry tho, that just comes across as being really obnoxious. If I had to say something I would always be courteous and always thank them when they correct it to show I appreciate it.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I complain if the food/service is bad, but I always compliment also if the food/service is good.

I should add that I wasn't rude or obnoxious when I complained. I merely pointed out the facts to the manager of the case in a factual way.

By *els_BellsWoman  over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

"I complain if the food/service is bad, but I always compliment also if the food/service is good. "

Same here.

Was mortified when a friend started ranting n raving about food taking a while when we were booked early so we could see a show in Manc. The way she spoke to the staff made me sure not to go for a meal with her again!

However, I recently complained about a non service and got a nice set of gift vouchers for the chain after a bad service. Had only walked in to be seated in the most impolite of manners (so walked back out) n complained. Which resulted in a free meal with wine

"I should add that I wasn't rude or obnoxious when I complained. I merely pointed out the facts to the manager of the case in a factual way. "

As i held my lips like a fish so i couldn't laugh!! . . .

» Add a new message to this topic