FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Right of Way

Right of Way

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *B9 Queen OP   Woman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

So, just reading a news report about a young trainee accountant who knocked a cyclist off his bike. She then tweeted 'Definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier - I have right of way he doesn't even pay road tax!' under the hashtag 'bloodycyclists'. Apparently the police are involved and 'enquiries continue'.

Now, according the Highway Code, only ONE type of road user has 'right of way' by law - and that would be a pedestrian. Anyone else merely has 'priority'. Furthermore, a cyclist is a very vulnerable road user - and motorists are obligated to take care around them - even if they happen to be annoying prats (which, I would argue, is only a minority of them).

Finally, pedestrians also do not pay road tax, unless they also use a car.

So, where does the arrogance of this young woman come from? She could have killed the poor sod! Never mind 'bloodycyclists', how about 'bloody motorists'?

Ps - I am not, nor have I ever been, a cyclist - not since I learned to ride a bike without training wheels.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think it goes to show the level of intelligence of a Twitter account owner! Anything Rio Ferdinand uses is devised for the terminally thick.

Ps. Surely pedestrians use the pavement, not the road

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

this s one thng that gets me riled i have to say.

I am driving a car that says i will win any shit fight me and a pedestrian and/or cyclist gets in to.

I am always curteous to both pedestrians and cyclists, leaving plenty of room when passing etc so why should it be my fault if one of them decides to act like a twat and pull out on me or walk out on me?

i have never hit either and if it IS my fault through neligent drivng then so be it, i will take the wrap but i think it is unfair to blame the driver whatever the incident. there are two brains involved, why is only one of them required to use it?

Never mind all that,

don't post anything that can help you get sued!!

"Never mind all that,

don't post anything that can help you get sued!!"

We all share the road and we should all look out for each other.

More cyclists break the law than motorists but cyclists get away with it.

In other countries if you you break the law in your bike your driving license gets endorsed , I think the same should apply here.

I don't know of the case the OP refers to but you shouldn't boast if knocking someone off their bike.

"So, just reading a news report about a young trainee accountant who knocked a cyclist off his bike. She then tweeted 'Definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier - I have right of way he doesn't even pay road tax!' under the hashtag 'bloodycyclists'. Apparently the police are involved and 'enquiries continue'.

Now, according the Highway Code, only ONE type of road user has 'right of way' by law - and that would be a pedestrian. Anyone else merely has 'priority'. Furthermore, a cyclist is a very vulnerable road user - and motorists are obligated to take care around them - even if they happen to be annoying prats (which, I would argue, is only a minority of them).

So, where does the arrogance of this young woman come from? She could have killed the poor sod! Never mind 'bloodycyclists', how about 'bloody motorists'?

Ps - I am not, nor have I ever been, a cyclist - not since I learned to ride a bike without training wheels."

Haven't seen the article, but the tweet sounds to me like she hit the cyclist and didn't stop? If that's the case then it doesn't matter who has right of way as she has left the scene of an accident. Just hope the cyclist is ok

The whole road tax argument is kind of going out of the window now too due to how many newer cars are free to tax due to emissions. I do however think bicycles should have some kind of licence on them so that when they jump the lights they can be reprimanded too...have seen so many near misses from cyclists doing this and I don't want to be a witness to (or involved in) an accident.

Highway code outlines mainly the recognised practices of driving/riding on roads, road traffic law deals with your statutory obligations.

Don't what the lady did but even if the cyclist did fail to comply with mandatory signs/lights the driver is an arrogant individual.

Vehicles can and do kill people, so so what if you have to brake or give way when you weren't obliged to, isn't it more important that noone gets hurt ?

"I think it goes to show the level of intelligence of a Twitter account owner! Anything Rio Ferdinand uses is devised for the terminally thick.

Ps. Surely pedestrians use the pavement, not the road "

Thats actually the case, my football team previously used to do a bike ride an stop off at every pub we had to stop as we were informed that you can lose your license for drink driving whilst on a bike

evesham

"Highway code outlines mainly the recognised practices of driving/riding on roads, road traffic law deals with your statutory obligations.

Don't what the lady did but even if the cyclist did fail to comply with mandatory signs/lights the driver is an arrogant individual.

Vehicles can and do kill people, so so what if you have to brake or give way when you weren't obliged to, isn't it more important that noone gets hurt ?"

of course it s but pedestrian and cyclits need to realise they dont have a protective barier around them that means they bounce off cars and so should take more care. the amount of cyclists i have seen careering out of junctions without even looking to see if a car is comng, they just expect drivers to stop for them. surely the preservation of life lies with them as its their life?

"I think it goes to show the level of intelligence of a Twitter account owner! Anything Rio Ferdinand uses is devised for the terminally thick.

Ps. Surely pedestrians use the pavement, not the road "

They cross the road and so, are road users.

"So, just reading a news report about a young trainee accountant who knocked a cyclist off his bike. She then tweeted 'Definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier - I have right of way he doesn't even pay road tax!' under the hashtag 'bloodycyclists'. Apparently the police are involved and 'enquiries continue'.

Ps - I am not, nor have I ever been, a cyclist - not since I learned to ride a bike without training wheels.

Haven't seen the article, but the tweet sounds to me like she hit the cyclist and didn't stop? If that's the case then it doesn't matter who has right of way as she has left the scene of an accident. Just hope the cyclist is ok

The whole road tax argument is kind of going out of the window now too due to how many newer cars are free to tax due to emissions. I do however think bicycles should have some kind of licence on them so that when they jump the lights they can be reprimanded too...have seen so many near misses from cyclists doing this and I don't want to be a witness to (or involved in) an accident."

She did leave the scene of the accident. I think that is why the police are making enquiries.

They cross the road and so, are road users."

So do chickens apparently - yet nobody knows why!!

"We all share the road and we should all look out for each other.

"

What evidence is there that 'More cyclists break the law than motorists'? I would also argue that when a motorist does break the law they are more likely to cause very serious injury or death than a cyclist. It is a common myth, I think, that the majority of cyclists are irresponsible. I don't believe that that is the case.

"

To DB9 queen..do a search for "Bens rant."

I believe arrogant road users are inherant tossers..I highlighted that fact in that post.

To DB9 queen..do a search for "Bens rant."

I believe arrogant road users are inherant tossers..I highlighted that fact in that post. "

Just did - zero results.

What evidence is there that 'More cyclists break the law than motorists'? I would also argue that when a motorist does break the law they are more likely to cause very serious injury or death than a cyclist. It is a common myth, I think, that the majority of cyclists are irresponsible. I don't believe that that is the case."

I am willing to conduct an experiment with anyone who wishes to take up the challenge.

You can choose any junction you like in London.

For every cyclist that jumps a red light you have to give me £1 but I will give you £5 for every motorist that does.

Next for every cyclist that travels the wrong way down a one way street you have to give me £5 and I will give you £10 for every motorist that does the same

Finally for every cyclist that we see riding on the pavement you have to give me £10 and I will give you £100 for every motorist that does this.

What evidence is there that 'More cyclists break the law than motorists'? I would also argue that when a motorist does break the law they are more likely to cause very serious injury or death than a cyclist. It is a common myth, I think, that the majority of cyclists are irresponsible. I don't believe that that is the case.

I am willing to conduct an experiment with anyone who wishes to take up the challenge.

For every cyclist that jumps a red light you have to give me £1 but I will give you £5 for every motorist that does.

Next for every cyclist that travels the wrong way down a one way street you have to give me £5 and I will give you £10 for every motorist that does the same

Finally for every cyclist that we see riding on the pavement you have to give me £10 and I will give you £100 for every motorist that does this.

"

But you don't actually have any evidence then? One junction in one city - potentially (since the survey has yet to be actually done) is not really true empirical evidence. I am sure there is some out there - and I am pretty sure it would show that motorists cause more death and injury than cyclists.

Additionally, to try to prove, one way or another, who actually breaks the law the most I think is impossible as there are many offences committed on a daily basis which go unreported/unnoticed by the powers that be.

"

Just did - zero results."

Hmmm..its entirely possible a mod may have deleted the thread.

Ill summarise:

Basically some pure twat cut up tge car in front of me on a roundabout without indicating whilst texting on his phone.

The car he cut up had kids in it. #dumbass

"Highway code outlines mainly the recognised practices of driving/riding on roads, road traffic law deals with your statutory obligations.

Vehicles can and do kill people, so so what if you have to brake or give way when you weren't obliged to, isn't it more important that noone gets hurt ?

of course it s but pedestrian and cyclits need to realise they dont have a protective barier around them that means they bounce off cars and so should take more care. the amount of cyclists i have seen careering out of junctions without even looking to see if a car is comng, they just expect drivers to stop for them. surely the preservation of life lies with them as its their life?"

Totally agree. And in answer to a posters comments on cyclists in London, please remember that people cycle elsewhere in the country without causing problems

"

I'll give you £100 for every cyclist that breaks the speed limit, and you give me 50p for every car driver that does. I'll be rich long before you are.

evesham

stats are skewed on the death/injury caused because its ALWAYS reported as the drivers fault!

If it was reported correctly and consideration was taken for the role of the cyclist/pedestrian they might be different

But you don't actually have any evidence then? One junction in one city - potentially (since the survey has yet to be actually done) is not really true empirical evidence. I am sure there is some out there - and I am pretty sure it would show that motorists cause more death and injury than cyclists.

Additionally, to try to prove, one way or another, who actually breaks the law the most I think is impossible as there are many offences committed on a daily basis which go unreported/unnoticed by the powers that be."

I don't have any evidence now but at the end of the experiment I bet I have more money in my pocket.

Additionally, to try to prove, one way or another, who actually breaks the law the most I think is impossible as there are many offences committed on a daily basis which go unreported/unnoticed by the powers that be."

I'll give you £100 for every cyclist that breaks the speed limit, and you give me 50p for every car driver that does. I'll be rich long before you are. "

I'll take it out of the profit I've made from the first experiment.

the attitude of a lot of car drivers towards cyclist utterly stinks

they seem to think they are a obsticle to get around or shove out of the way as not to impede their journey.

i was out on my bike yesterday and a car nearly hit me,i shouted at him.he stopped.he was probably expecting a 65kg cyclist.when a 100 kg bloke rolled up to him with not a happy face he soon apologised.

if more people got on a bike the whole country would benefit from the health effects and the enviroment would be better off

So do chickens apparently - yet nobody knows why!! "

Are you trying to pick up chicks again Obi?

evesham

"the attitude of a lot of car drivers towards cyclist utterly stinks

they seem to think they are a obsticle to get around or shove out of the way as not to impede their journey.

i was out on my bike yesterday and a car nearly hit me,i shouted at him.he stopped.he was probably expecting a 65kg cyclist.when a 100 kg bloke rolled up to him with not a happy face he soon apologised.

if more people got on a bike the whole country would benefit from the health effects and the enviroment would be better off"

i dont think that of all cyclists, just the ones who think they dont need any road sense

Just this morning i passed a group of about 20 cyclsts perfectly civilly because thy were riding safely

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"this s one thng that gets me riled i have to say.

I am driving a car that says i will win any shit fight me and a pedestrian and/or cyclist gets in to.

I am always curteous to both pedestrians and cyclists, leaving plenty of room when passing etc so why should it be my fault if one of them decides to act like a twat and pull out on me or walk out on me?

i have never hit either and if it IS my fault through neligent drivng then so be it, i will take the wrap but i think it is unfair to blame the driver whatever the incident. there are two brains involved, why is only one of them required to use it? "

Like the idiot on Sunday who was crossing the road, when you were driving towards him he slowed down and then was about to spit at the car..

evesham

"this s one thng that gets me riled i have to say.

i have never hit either and if it IS my fault through neligent drivng then so be it, i will take the wrap but i think it is unfair to blame the driver whatever the incident. there are two brains involved, why is only one of them required to use it?

Like the idiot on Sunday who was crossing the road, when you were driving towards him he slowed down and then was about to spit at the car.. "

exactly!!!! what a fucking twat he was!!!!

evesham

So do chickens apparently - yet nobody knows why!!

Are you trying to pick up chicks again Obi?"

obi is ALWAYS sharking lol

so you should,if they had have been riding dangerously it would be your job to avoid them.not show your disgust by driving a car in a dangerous way around them.

its like the riding 2 abreast.a fair few drivers think this is illegal.it is perfectly legal.it is the car drivers job to overtake in a safe position.

cyclists are encouraged to take control of their lane,i do this and it makes cars wait behind till its safe to pass.it takes a bit of balls but it works for me

evesham

"so you should,if they had have been riding dangerously it would be your job to avoid them.not show your disgust by driving a car in a dangerous way around them.

its like the riding 2 abreast.a fair few drivers think this is illegal.it is perfectly legal.it is the car drivers job to overtake in a safe position.

cyclists are encouraged to take control of their lane,i do this and it makes cars wait behind till its safe to pass.it takes a bit of balls but it works for me"

why do i have to think for the both of us?

So if a cyclist doesnt look and just pulls out at a junction hile i am driving perfectly safely for the conditios of the road and not expeting a cyclist to do a kamikaze move why is it my fault?

evesham

and by 'us' i meant me and they hypothetical cyclist, not me and you

For starters it doesn't matter who has right of way, witnesses are always asked if either could of done something to avoid the accident, if they could then they are at blame. Either one or both depending if one or both could of avoided it.

Also we call it road tax but it isn't called that and the tax is to do with emissions.. Cyclists don't produce emissions and therefore exempt.

Someone says about them not foloowing rules etc.. That's fine, if a cyclist hits a car or anything really. What damage will there be to a car or van compared to the bike and cyclist? Even if a cyclist hits a pedestrian its gonna be very rare to end in a death for the pedestrian especailly compared to being hit by a car. So those cyclists who ride stupidly are much more a danger to themselves only really.

The woman was an idiot!

a cyclist is fully aware of the dangers involved and how alert you have to be.in all my years driving i have seen more car drivers pull out from junctions etc

i used to drive trucks and numerous times had to slam my brakes on to avoid a collision.just because they drove dangerously does not mean i can flatten them.

any cyclist will tell you of a close miss and the fear it puts in you,ask the same syclist have they had that feeling whilst driving their cars.

"stats are skewed on the death/injury caused because its ALWAYS reported as the drivers fault!

If it was reported correctly and consideration was taken for the role of the cyclist/pedestrian they might be different"

I was watching a police programme the other day where a cyclist was hit and died and the woman didn't stop. Turns out the cyclist was d*unk, no lights or reflective clothing, on an A road late at night. She hadn't seen him and thought she had hit an animal.

Basically the driver wasn't charged with anything and it was all put down to the cyclist acting so dangerously. So not always the drivers fault.

evesham

i understand that if a cyclist and/or pedestrian pulls/walks out on me i have to take evasive manouveres, of ourse i do, i am not an idiot. i dont just carry on regardless but whenever these threads come up there seems to be very little admission of cyclist/pedestrian fault reardless of what ever scenario is put to them.

sometimes its not always possible to evade an accident if someone appears in the road you are not expecting.

if a cyclist pulls out ad causes me to crash or causes damage to my car, can i claim against them or do i lose my NCB because they have no insurance or becase another party is involved and they lame me for crashing into them because i was avoiding the cyclst?

evesham

and the numbers involved would mean statistically you would see more car driver errors because there are more cars on the road.

"a cyclist is fully aware of the dangers involved and how alert you have to be.in all my years driving i have seen more car drivers pull out from junctions etc

i used to drive trucks and numerous times had to slam my brakes on to avoid a collision.just because they drove dangerously does not mean i can flatten them.

any cyclist will tell you of a close miss and the fear it puts in you,ask the same syclist have they had that feeling whilst driving their cars."

Sadly not all cyclists think of the risks.. I cycle. I was a london bus driver. And a car driver and worked most of my jobs on the road.

Seen way too many idiots of all kinds.

Some cyclists seem to think they are equal to cars cos they can cycle fast.. They ignore the cycle lanes and pull off fast from lights etc..

By *risboy69Man  over a year ago

Bristol

This as made national news and u believe the cyclist as tweeted the lady in question!!

In holland if a car hits a cyclist it's automatically the cars fault!

If a cyclist hits a pedestrian it's automatically the cyclist fault!

Strange

"i understand that if a cyclist and/or pedestrian pulls/walks out on me i have to take evasive manouveres, of ourse i do, i am not an idiot. i dont just carry on regardless but whenever these threads come up there seems to be very little admission of cyclist/pedestrian fault reardless of what ever scenario is put to them.

sometimes its not always possible to evade an accident if someone appears in the road you are not expecting.

if a cyclist pulls out ad causes me to crash or causes damage to my car, can i claim against them or do i lose my NCB because they have no insurance or becase another party is involved and they lame me for crashing into them because i was avoiding the cyclst? "

Because if you hit the cyclist or pedestrian there is going to be very little damage to u or your vehicle compared to the pedestrian or cyclist. This is also why you can have legal cover on your insurance to sue the none insured road users and if the investigation proves u r not to blame then it is a non fault accident and will affect ur insurance in exactly the same way any other non fault accident will with an insured user with regards to ncb.

Trust me if its proven there was nothing u could do avoid hitting a pedestrian or cyclist then u will be considered the victim too

"This as made national news and u believe the cyclist as tweeted the lady in question!!

Strange "

That is shocking really.

I remember once while driving a bus a cyclist came hurtling out an alley and hopped off the kerb onto the road in front of me without looking. I just avoided him, but how could that of been my fault if he had done that straight into the side the bus?

Also I did hit a young boy off his bike and it was put down to a boy hood prank gone wrong, he was fine thankfully. But there was a van parked on the edge of a junction (I didn't have the give way) I had 2 witnesses say cos of the obstruction I had slowed down, but he came from behind the van, I saw him on the right side the car and hit him head on and knocked him down. How could I of avoided that? Even his dad was apologising to me and offering to pay for damage ( not that I accepted as only knocked my number plate off) as he said he had told him not to ride on the road or leave the front of the house as he was only 7!

By *risboy69Man  over a year ago

Bristol

I appreciate not all cyclist are at fault, some and the more genuine cyclist stick to the rules, like stopping at lights etc

In my opinion if the cyclist doesn't wear a helmet, respect the road and its users

And the law then they deserve to get hit!

A few years ago a young lad came off the pavement on his bike and hit my car, he did £400 worth of damage, the police said they could do nothing about it and could possibly claim off his house insurance, of which he had none, instead they threatened to arrest me as I was more than a little bit irate as I had paid £4000 for the car less than 24 hrs before

"This as made national news and u believe the cyclist as tweeted the lady in question!!

Strange

That is shocking really.

I remember once while driving a bus a cyclist came hurtling out an alley and hopped off the kerb onto the road in front of me without looking. I just avoided him, but how could that of been my fault if he had done that straight into the side the bus?

Also I did hit a young boy off his bike and it was put down to a boy hood prank gone wrong, he was fine thankfully. But there was a van parked on the edge of a junction (I didn't have the give way) I had 2 witnesses say cos of the obstruction I had slowed down, but he came from behind the van, I saw him on the right side the car and hit him head on and knocked him down. How could I of avoided that? Even his dad was apologising to me and offering to pay for damage ( not that I accepted as only knocked my number plate off) as he said he had told him not to ride on the road or leave the front of the house as he was only 7!"

Using the actions of a 7 year old to back up a claim that all cyclists are law breaking suicide pilots is the same as using the actions of teenage car thief driving fast from the police to avoid arrest.

When driving a car it is my duty to ensure the more vulnerable road users are not in any danger.

There is no denying the majority of uk drivers see cyclists as a pest.

The attitude in Europe is totally different.you have to give cyclists a set distance of room by law.

People seem to catagorise all people on bikes the same.

A lot of people use a bike to get from a to b without walking.they would never think about going for a 50 mile bike ride.the true cyclists are very law abiding.

How many cyclists break the speed limit?

Very few

How many car drivers do?

All.

Driving at 40 in a 30 is far more dangerous than some cyclist ripping through a red light.

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

"

I'll take that bet on my daily commute - I'll film it on my helmet camera and i can show you how many motorists u see jumping red lights at every junction i come to every single day. So far in the last two weeks i have seen one cyclist jump a red light and he got a gobful from me when i passed him further down the road.

let me know the e-mail address you would like the raw footage sent to.

rochdale

"stats are skewed on the death/injury caused because its ALWAYS reported as the drivers fault!

If it was reported correctly and consideration was taken for the role of the cyclist/pedestrian they might be different"

rochdale

wrong. In investigated Road Traffic Collisions involving a vehicle and a cyclist the motorist was found to be a fault in 68-76% of the cases.

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

"

Red light jumping by car drivers is rife, and they all park on half on the path. thats a lot of ££££'s

rochdale

A little incident this evening brought home to me how worthless a cyclist is viewed as by the general motoring public.

A combination of a very wet road, shiny brand new tram tracks, skinny road wheels and an uneven surface ( road works to lay tram tracks)caught me out and dumped me hard on the road. No other vehicle involved, just one of those things.

What was disheartening was the drivers who accelerated hard to get around me in a contraflow, passing inches from my head as i lay there with a dislocated shoulder just to get through the green light rather than give me room to get up. I had to wait til the light had gone red and traffic had stopped before i could get up. Not one driver even slowed down let alone stopped to see how i was.

It really brings home how much less-than-human you are seen to be should you dare to choose to ride a bicycle.

Strange

That is shocking really.

Also I did hit a young boy off his bike and it was put down to a boy hood prank gone wrong, he was fine thankfully. But there was a van parked on the edge of a junction (I didn't have the give way) I had 2 witnesses say cos of the obstruction I had slowed down, but he came from behind the van, I saw him on the right side the car and hit him head on and knocked him down. How could I of avoided that? Even his dad was apologising to me and offering to pay for damage ( not that I accepted as only knocked my number plate off) as he said he had told him not to ride on the road or leave the front of the house as he was only 7!

Using the actions of a 7 year old to back up a claim that all cyclists are law breaking suicide pilots is the same as using the actions of teenage car thief driving fast from the police to avoid arrest.

When driving a car it is my duty to ensure the more vulnerable road users are not in any danger.

There is no denying the majority of uk drivers see cyclists as a pest.

The attitude in Europe is totally different.you have to give cyclists a set distance of room by law.

People seem to catagorise all people on bikes the same.

A lot of people use a bike to get from a to b without walking.they would never think about going for a 50 mile bike ride.the true cyclists are very law abiding.

How many cyclists break the speed limit?

Very few

How many car drivers do?

All.

Driving at 40 in a 30 is far more dangerous than some cyclist ripping through a red light."

Erm I'm not saying the sctions of a 7 year old makes all cyclists law breakers..

I was merely giving an example of how all accidents between a car and a cyclist cannot always be the cars fault!!

By the way have you read any of my posts where I say I use a cycle too!

There are bad cyclists. There are bad motorists. That's a fact and I'm not gonna favor one group over the other.

But I do believe saying a motorist should always be at fault is very flawed, ev en with different laws, how in that situation I was in could I have been blamed in any way for fault at knocking the boy down? Even if I had been abroad with different laws?

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"

"

Only legal where the road is sufficiently wide enough to permit this to be done in a safe manner and where it does not impede other road users. Looking at this locically you can really assume that there are now very few occasions where cyclists could do this now. I wouldn`t even be contemplating riding more than single file on a cycl, regardless of what the law says.

evesham

"A little incident this evening brought home to me how worthless a cyclist is viewed as by the general motoring public.

A combination of a very wet road, shiny brand new tram tracks, skinny road wheels and an uneven surface ( road works to lay tram tracks)caught me out and dumped me hard on the road. No other vehicle involved, just one of those things.

What was disheartening was the drivers who accelerated hard to get around me in a contraflow, passing inches from my head as i lay there with a dislocated shoulder just to get through the green light rather than give me room to get up. I had to wait til the light had gone red and traffic had stopped before i could get up. Not one driver even slowed down let alone stopped to see how i was.

It really brings home how much less-than-human you are seen to be should you dare to choose to ride a bicycle."

I think that says more about society than drivers, it's just a coincidence they were in a car.

I'd like to point out that just before Christmas I stopped to give a cyclist CPR as he had had a heart attack cycling up a massive hill. See......I'm not always a miserable bitch

"

What about motorists using phones? Stand at any junction in London and you see plenty of that. What about motorists not indicating? what about motorists stopping in ASL's?

Do i need to go on?

"I appreciate not all cyclist are at fault, some and the more genuine cyclist stick to the rules, like stopping at lights etc

In my opinion if the cyclist doesn't wear a helmet, respect the road and its users

And the law then they deserve to get hit! "

Sorry but can you explain to me why a non helmet wearer "deserves to be hit"?

To go back to the original topic, the motorist in question also has pictures of her self driving at 95mph and tailgating other cars. The tone of her tweets and Facebook statues suggest she routinely updates them from the wheel.

She is claiming it was the cyclists fault, has apologised for the tweet but not to the cyclist. And although she admits the collision happened and admits not stopping, she denies leaving the scene of an accident as she assumed the cyclist was ok... She is also upset that she is being judged unfairly "on one side of the story" which sums up her stupidity as the story stems from her own tweet.

I suspect she will be unemployed soon. She's already suspended as her twitter and Facebook named her employer and they are understandably not impressed.

I think some people are thinking that this is a level playing field. Cyclists, whether they are responsible, considerate road users or irresponsible prats, are vulnerable. They are not surrounded by metal and airbags as drivers are. If you hit a cyclist what damage is done to you? What damage is done to the cyclist?

Furthermore, the non-road tax argument is facetious at best. Cyclists do not create the same wear and tear on road surfaces, take up less room and are non-polluting. What the hell would they pay road tax for?

This young woman drove recklessly, endangered another person, left the scene of an accident and then bragged about it.

We could do without those kind of road users.

By *renchbambi xWoman  over a year ago

Need to know basis

"So, where does the arrogance of this young woman come from? She could have killed the poor sod! Never mind 'bloodycyclists', how about 'bloody motorists'?

Ps - I am not, nor have I ever been, a cyclist - not since I learned to ride a bike without training wheels."

Sorry OP, I have not read the whole thread.

I do not know where her arrogance comes from, for that to happen would mean knowing her and I really do not want to know someone like that.

Personally, I have become a better car driver and far more aware of Two-wheelers since I passed my motorbike licence. It has given me a different perspective of what sharing the road means.

What about motorists using phones? Stand at any junction in London and you see plenty of that. What about motorists not indicating? what about motorists stopping in ASL's?

Do i need to go on?"

You are right about mobile phones and the lack of signialing from drivers. The amount of people using mobiles is atrocious. If you read the first two lines of my post that is how it should be.

We all share the road and we should all look out for each other.

I probably got a bit silly after that but I was trying to prove a point that all road users have a responsibility to be aware of their surroundings and to observe the Highway Code.

I have been a cyclist , a motorcyclists and now use four wheels so I have done it all on our busy streets. There is good and bad in equal amounts on both sides.

Getting back to the OP. the woman sounds like a complete arse and her stupid actions should see her prosecuted. On the other hand a quick trawl of the web and you will find similar cases of cyclists being just as silly.

» Add a new message to this topic