FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Greyhounds

Greyhounds

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

We are thinking of getting one from the rescue centre. Anyone got one, what's their temperament like?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"We are thinking of getting one from the rescue centre. Anyone got one, what's their temperament like? "

They run fast. They'll go for ya throat too, rip ya vocal cords out and spread the blood all over ya carpet. They howl like a hound from baskerville, they eat loads and loads and chew things. They are triply incontinent and are aggressive.

Get two.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

Highly strung and need loooooonnnngggg, regular walks and runs.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Yep! Beware of them being kept in pens in the past. When you bring them into the house they will almost certainly NOT be house trained and will think nothing of going to the toilet on your carpet! Make sure you keep a bloody good hold on if there`s cats and "hairy rat" dogs about! That`s all I can tell you! Others will tell you more no doubt!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have a greyhound, had him from being a puppy so he's not a rescue dog, contrary to popular belief they are no a high energetic dog they are actually really lethargic, i take mine out twice a day for a good hour each, he runs like mad while he's out then when he's home he's just a utter cough potato, they are by nature very placid dog but also quite nervous and skittish, not at all know for being aggressive and i love mine to death, they are prone to something called bold thigh syndrome that's self explanatory lol so if you do get one and he/she starts going bold round the back end its perfectly normal for the breed and does grow back and fall out regular, not all greyhound get it but it is quite common

I would highly recommend one

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

I used to have racing ones. These arent kept like domestic pets until they retire. Obviously house training then becomes an issue.

10 min walk then lounge lizard for the rest of the time great dogs

"Yep! Beware of them being kept in pens in the past. When you bring them into the house they will almost certainly NOT be house trained and will think nothing of going to the toilet on your carpet! Make sure you keep a bloody good hold on if there`s cats and "hairy rat" dogs about! That`s all I can tell you! Others will tell you more no doubt!"

i have 3 cats and mines perfectly fine with cats

people just sterio type them they think because they are used for racing and coursing greyhound need lots of runs and chase everything, they actually don't, they need the same amount of walk as any dog, extra walks are not needed

Brighton - even Hove!

Look at your prospective dogs name. Is it something like 'buttterfly flower petal'? Or more like 'fang dagger bloodgore'?

I rang my mate, Dave, 'Ol' One Arm', we call him and asked him about his greyhound.

" a vicious brute, Steve, fooking fast and latched onto me arm like a leech - ran off with it a few minutes later "

" bloody hell, a guy I know wants one" says I.

"is it that weird guy with 2 cocks?"

"yeah, double d...."

"tell him to get two".

"Look at your prospective dogs name. Is it something like 'buttterfly flower petal'? Or more like 'fang dagger bloodgore'?

I rang my mate, Dave, 'Ol' One Arm', we call him and asked him about his greyhound.

" a vicious brute, Steve, fooking fast and latched onto me arm like a leech - ran off with it a few minutes later "

"yeah, double d...."

"tell him to get two". "

I'll have a pint of whatever he's been on

"Look at your prospective dogs name. Is it something like 'buttterfly flower petal'? Or more like 'fang dagger bloodgore'?

"yeah, double d...."

"tell him to get two". "

feck off... I can't take anyone who's scared of a tattoo gun serious!

By *ove bi guysWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

Lovely pets when retired.

Good temperment and don't need nearly as much walking as you'd think.

Brighton - even Hove!

"We are thinking of getting one from the rescue centre. Anyone got one, what's their temperament like? "

Don't tell me - someone was talking about 'dogging' and you thought you'd get in on a bit of action. You need Joop! and a not very convincing mask. There's a place in Princetown. Circular shape....

Anyway, I'm not scared of having a tattoo.

Gorgeous dogs, amazing temperaments

If my current pooch was dog friendly i would have another in a breath

Sadly he needs to be an only pet

Only word of advice is just avoid anything on 4 legs and furry near them if they are ex racers

They dont take prisoners

As 1 of my mums cats found out

If it has a shit right before the race starts dont back it?

Brighton - even Hove!

"If it has a shit right before the race starts dont back it? "

It's the dog that's running, mate.

"

Only word of advice is just avoid anything on 4 legs and furry "

I live on Dartmoor, you could be describing the local people

Brighton - even Hove!

"If it has a shit right before the race starts dont back it?

It's the dog that's running, mate. "

Unless it has a tummy upset

"We are thinking of getting one from the rescue centre. Anyone got one, what's their temperament like?

Don't tell me - someone was talking about 'dogging' and you thought you'd get in on a bit of action. You need Joop! and a not very convincing mask. There's a place in Princetown. Circular shape....

Anyway, I'm not scared of having a tattoo. "

Yes you are... mid life crisis and a wooly woofter, what a mix

Brighton - even Hove!

Pleb

Brighton - even Hove!

Actually, one has contacted 'skincandy' in Brighton for a perusal. So there. I'm not a wooly woofter. You are!

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

my old fb had one .. they are institutionalised cos they arent treated like family pets .. just lie in a corner and need to be walked to pee and crap.. be prepared for a few accidents .. but they are very sweet .. like an old career soldier

Brighton - even Hove!

"my old fb had one .. they are institutionalised cos they arent treated like family pets .. just lie in a corner and need to be walked to pee and crap.. be prepared for a few accidents .. but they are very sweet .. like an old career soldier "
....trained to kill.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

The way i always describe mine is if someone broke into my house to rob me he'd hold the door open for them on the way out lol not at all guard dogs if i was attacked while walking him he'd expect me to protect him or do a runner

he's a proper poof lol

By *econdhand RoseWoman  over a year ago

Nr Dumfries

I used to work with our local greyhound rescue organisation and i've had two rescued greyhounds - one was an ex-racer and one had not made the grade and been mis-treated because of it before being handed over for re-homing.

Like all dogs, you can't stereotype the breed completely and it depends on your personal circumstances whether a greyhound would suit. Your local rescue organisation should go through all that with you and match you with the best suited dog.

My personal experience is that both my dogs rarely had accidents in the house and both house-trained very quickly. They were both loving dogs and adored being warm and cuddled up with their people. They loved to go for walks but would take it or leave it if the weather was bad - in fact if it was raining one had to be virtually dragged out the door even to pee, he'd rather hold on than get wet! Mine definitely were not cat friendly, but I know several people with rescued greyhounds who happily have both together and all get on well. They will definitely chase - they are sight hounds and if something small (rabbit, cat, hare, small dog) runs into their line of vision they are very likely to chase it. I managed to train a lurcher (greyhound cross) to not chase but never managed it with my greyhounds. Ex-racers tend to be used to being part of a pack and so often aren't good with being left for long periods.

If you are matched with the right dog for you they are amazing pets. I absolutely adored both of mine and was devastated when they passed away.

Vixen

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I've only met nice ones.

By *ashful BazMan  over a year ago

poole dorset

Did have one once lick my behind while on the job

Wondered what the hell it was!

I can speak from direct experience.

When I was a kid we had several.

They are extremly placid and zero trouble.

Good fun too and extremely loyal dogs.

I personally have two alsations now..I rescued one of them too.

"I used to work with our local greyhound rescue organisation and i've had two rescued greyhounds - one was an ex-racer and one had not made the grade and been mis-treated because of it before being handed over for re-homing.

Like all dogs, you can't stereotype the breed completely and it depends on your personal circumstances whether a greyhound would suit. Your local rescue organisation should go through all that with you and match you with the best suited dog.

My personal experience is that both my dogs rarely had accidents in the house and both house-trained very quickly. They were both loving dogs and adored being warm and cuddled up with their people. They loved to go for walks but would take it or leave it if the weather was bad - in fact if it was raining one had to be virtually dragged out the door even to pee, he'd rather hold on than get wet! Mine definitely were not cat friendly, but I know several people with rescued greyhounds who happily have both together and all get on well. They will definitely chase - they are sight hounds and if something small (rabbit, cat, hare, small dog) runs into their line of vision they are very likely to chase it. I managed to train a lurcher (greyhound cross) to not chase but never managed it with my greyhounds. Ex-racers tend to be used to being part of a pack and so often aren't good with being left for long periods.

If you are matched with the right dog for you they are amazing pets. I absolutely adored both of mine and was devastated when they passed away.

Vixen "

i think because i've had mine from being very young, to young to leave him mum really he was only 6 weeks, i've never had any of these problems most who get retired racer have, mines never been trained to chase and to be honest there's only certain things he does chase, birds mainly, he don't even look twice at cats as he's grown up in with in a family home and they really don't bother him, half the time he cant even be arsed to lift his head up to see who's walked in the house never mind chase a cat but if he's out on his walk and see's a bird on the ground he will really open up and go for it and carry on chasing it even when its air born till its totally out of sight

I also have a Labrador and the two breeds are so different, the lab's a pain in the bum, he's like a bull dozer on legs, into everything, unbelievably intelligent and can work anything out, how to get to something he wants and on the go 24/7, they greyhounds just so laid back even fartings a affort for him and a bit dopey to be honest

lovely dogs.most seem to have a descent temper on them.

bone idol,would sleep all day.

ive had lurchers for a good while.never had a pure bred though.

i would happily get rid of my mental lurcher and get a greyhound

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

[Removed by poster at 21/05/13 22:07:10]

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

"We are thinking of getting one from the rescue centre. Anyone got one, what's their temperament like?

They run fast. They'll go for ya throat too, rip ya vocal cords out and spread the blood all over ya carpet. They howl like a hound from baskerville, they eat loads and loads and chew things. They are triply incontinent and are aggressive.

Get two. "

one of the funniest responses i have read in the forum

Let me know Ben as I work within animal rescue

"lovely dogs.most seem to have a descent temper on them.

bone idol,would sleep all day.

ive had lurchers for a good while.never had a pure bred though.

i would happily get rid of my mental lurcher and get a greyhound"

aww that's terrible lol

i have a mental Labrador, he trashes my house every time i go out but i still wouldn't part with him for the world

Let me know Ben as I work within animal rescue "

Cool. Thank you x

Great dog,good with children ya should get a 3/4

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"yeah, double d...."

"tell him to get two". "

steve m8 your feckin barking..

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

We know a cpl of pairs of them and 2 other single's, all rescue dogs..

by talking to their owners what they have all said pretty much mirrors what others have said on here..

always found the ones we see to be friendly and social with our 2 dogs (one of whom who has just dropped his guts )..

good luck if you choose to rescue one or two..

» Add a new message to this topic