FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Exploding phones

Exploding phones

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icolerobbie OP   Couple 1 day ago

walsall

It is reported that terrorists have planted explosives in 5000 European made pagers “at a production level”.

These pagers were then remotely exploded in the Middle East, which is a place famous for awesome food, by sending a coded text to the devices!

This really is all over the news.

Are our phones safe? Can we hold them without fearing for our lives? Will the Russians fit them with nuclear options?

Why am I asking you?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *agnar73Man 1 day ago

Glasgow

Pagers.

Unless you’ve a Chinese made one supplied by that group, I wouldn’t worry

By *8on33Man 1 day ago

winfrith

I never buy new phones I'm safe well as safe as ignorance can be .

walsall

"Pagers.

Unless you’ve a Chinese made one supplied by that group, I wouldn’t worry "

The phones were made in Europe that exploded!

By * WillisMan 1 day ago

london

Pagers, was this a news report from 1988?

walsall

"I never buy new phones I'm safe well as safe as ignorance can be ."

This is a good plan, if they are still in one piece that is.

walsall

"Pagers, was this a news report from 1988?"

It’s all over the news today!

By *8on33Man 1 day ago

winfrith

"Pagers.

The phones were made in Europe that exploded!"

Its a good selling point for buying British our phones may be shit but they don't explode .

By *agnar73Man 1 day ago

Glasgow

Nope that group used older tech as they were worried about software hacks, but I guess a small charge inside pager set off by a message will change their minds

By *hilloutMan 1 day ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

People should read Edward Snowden's take on this. A terrifying precedent has been set.

It's been practically confirmed they were fitted with a small amount of explosive at the manufacturing level. The pagers were from a Taiwanese company but manufactured under license in Europe.

By *lowupdollTV/TS 1 day ago

S. Herts

How long before the Apple iHelmet?

By *atboynogymMan 1 day ago

kettering

Best take it off vibrate

By *inkyandthebrain2023Couple 1 day ago

Cheshire

I'd of picked a pager to blow up because I have no idea what you need to destroy a Nokia 3310.

By *agerMorganMan 1 day ago

Canvey Island

"I'd of picked a pager to blow up because I have no idea what you need to destroy a Nokia 3310."

Thors Hammer for them

By *r John WickMan 1 day ago

The Continental

“Isn't it funny - you hear a phone ringing and it could be anybody. But a ringing phone has to be answered, doesn't it?”

By *inaTitzTV/TS 1 day ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I've heard it was a stunt by Mossad.

I wonder if the message said 'Kaboom' and then it went off.

By *agerMorganMan 1 day ago

Canvey Island

"People should read Edward Snowden's take on this. A terrifying precedent has been set.

It's been practically confirmed they were fitted with a small amount of explosive at the manufacturing level. The pagers were from a Taiwanese company but manufactured under license in Europe."

Edward Snowden is talking rubbish, this isn’t a new thing, no precedents have been set. This type of targeted attack, in that placing explosives in devices/cars/phones etc have been going on for years, it’s just no one outside of intelligence agencies, knew about it and he’s barking on like some sort of “I knew it!”.

By *arlequin_tearsMan 1 day ago

Sheffield

This is to do with pagers exploding in Lebanon.

Pagers were allegedly sold to Hezbollah. Mossad apparently got hold of the pagers and were able to inject PETN into the batteries.

In terms of modern lithium ion batteries. There can be heat issues and poorly made phones have been known to burst into flame.

These fires are well over 1000 degrees C. It is one of the reasons why electric vehicle fires are so dangerous.

TL:DR

Yes, pagers have been exploding

This is to do with Israel Vs Hezbollah in Lebanon

You're smartphone is not going to explode

By *og-ManMan 1 day ago

somewhere

Putting aside what The IDF is doing to the people of Gaza

It's an ingenious way of attacking your enemy and something straight out of a Bond film

Will they ever admit to it

They were manufactured in Hungry so Id imagine president Orban is going to go mad

By *hilloutMan 1 day ago

"People should read Edward Snowden's take on this. A terrifying precedent has been set.

It's been practically confirmed they were fitted with a small amount of explosive at the manufacturing level. The pagers were from a Taiwanese company but manufactured under license in Europe.

Edward Snowden is talking rubbish, this isn’t a new thing, no precedents have been set. This type of targeted attack, in that placing explosives in devices/cars/phones etc have been going on for years, it’s just no one outside of intelligence agencies, knew about it and he’s barking on like some sort of “I knew it!”.

"

It's one thing for a targeted attack on the odd individual. This is completely different. You had several thousand pagers that Hezebollah ordered from a company in Budapest that manufactured them under license. People at the American university of Beirut were told to get rid of their pagers 10 days ago it seems.

By *he Silver FuxMan 1 day ago

Uttoxeter

"

It’s been done before, sure, one off assassinations but not at this scale and success of delivery. Mossad got into the pager manufacturing / distribution process, fitted a small PETN charge, possibly a dedicated igniter and then managed to get widespread distribution amongst multiple valid targets. Got to admit - ballsy operation and impressive, definitely asymmetric thinking.

walsall

"This is to do with pagers exploding in Lebanon.

Pagers were allegedly sold to Hezbollah. Mossad apparently got hold of the pagers and were able to inject PETN into the batteries.

In terms of modern lithium ion batteries. There can be heat issues and poorly made phones have been known to burst into flame.

These fires are well over 1000 degrees C. It is one of the reasons why electric vehicle fires are so dangerous.

TL:DR

Yes, pagers have been exploding

This is to do with Israel Vs Hezbollah in Lebanon

You're smartphone is not going to explode"

They thought that about their pagers….. what’s going on here?

walsall

It's one thing for a targeted attack on the odd individual. This is completely different. You had several thousand pagers that Hezebollah ordered from a company in Budapest that manufactured them under license. People at the American university of Beirut were told to get rid of their pagers 10 days ago it seems. "

The us embassy still use pagers?

I bet they write with feather quills as well!

By *ustamanMan 1 day ago

weymouth

I'm using a 6yr old CAT phone, so far off mainstream that unless terrorists wish to blow up construction workers I think I'm safe. Mind you if they did the damage would be huge as it's a brick

walsall

All those people walking around with ear buds that could be converted to blow their brains out at the drop of a text!

By *umblefunMan 1 day ago

London/ South East

"All those people walking around with ear buds that could be converted to blow their brains out at the drop of a text!

Not sure about ear buds, but I’ve got something that could explode after looking at your pics!

"

By *uminsiderMKMan 1 day ago

St Austell

"People should read Edward Snowden's take on this."

Only if they want to read Kremlin propaganda...

By *ophieslutTV/TS 1 day ago

Central

It's disgusting what they've done, sending bombs out into the community, that could kill anyone in the vicinity, including children. But there's too much unaccountability.

By *og-ManMan 1 day ago

somewhere

"It's disgusting what they've done, sending bombs out into the community, that could kill anyone in the vicinity, including children. But there's too much unaccountability. "

You could be talking about Hezbollah

By *ill69888Couple 1 day ago

manchester

I sometimes think my phone will explode with the amount of sh!te I read on this site….

walsall

"I sometimes think my phone will explode with the amount of sh!te I read on this site…."

Now that would be a shitty mess……

walsall

"It's disgusting what they've done, sending bombs out into the community, that could kill anyone in the vicinity, including children. But there's too much unaccountability. "

The Russians might do it next, now that they’ve seen how it’s done. Should we all be worried about this?

By *ince1965Man 1 day ago

Ilkeston

"Pagers.

The phones were made in Europe that exploded!"

They were pagers made in Taiwan by Hsu Ching-Kuang. Don't let facts intrude.

By *ince1965Man 1 day ago

Ilkeston

"It's disgusting what they've done, sending bombs out into the community, that could kill anyone in the vicinity, including children. But there's too much unaccountability.

The Russians might do it next, now that they’ve seen how it’s done. Should we all be worried about this? "

They don't need to be told how to do it, I could do it.

By *ressthefleshCouple 1 day ago

athlone

"Pagers.

Unless you’ve a Chinese made one supplied by that group, I wouldn’t worry "

What people still use pagers

By *cnugatugMan 1 day ago

Chatham

The pagers were made in Taiwan

By *cnugatugMan 1 day ago

Chatham

"I'd of picked a pager to blow up because I have no idea what you need to destroy a Nokia 3310.

Thors Hammer for them "

Still wouldnt scratch the Nokia 3310 you could drop a nuke directly on one and it'll atill look brand new and work

By *hilloutMan 1 day ago

"The pagers were made in Taiwan "

The company is Gold Apollo Co, Ltd based in Taiwan. The pagers were manufactured by BAC Consulting KTF in Budapest under license.

The Taiwanese company has put out an official statement stating precisely this.

By *weet and SpiceCouple 1 day ago

Around the Midlands

"Pagers.

What people still use pagers "

Hezbollah were told to use them instead of phones to avoid being tracked!

By *aveyBoyABCMan 1 day ago

Heage

Your mobile phone has a safety feature that once the battery temperature gets to 42/43 centrigrade it switches it off. It's most likely that intelligence agencies can access every phone via a built in back door, so there is a potential they could target people by disabling this safety feature and creating a process that causes the processor to run at 100% so that the battery over heats thus causing the li-ion battery to explode/set on fire.

It is also possible that an installed App on the phone could be used to do this as well.

By *orcsmatMan 1 day ago

Kidderminster

It was NOT phones. It was pagers.

Hammas we're using pagers (not phones) as the do not have GPS.

Misinformation like this can cause riots as we saw a few weeks ago.

walsall

"It was NOT phones. It was pagers.

Misinformation like this can cause riots as we saw a few weeks ago. "

First pagers, then phones next. Is this the thin end of the wedge?

By *itaminMan 1 day ago

Felixstowe

People on here attempting to down play what this is. Make it seem less than, as if the location/business of where they were made makes a difference.

The combined ignorance and arrogance is truly something to behold.

By *aveyBoyABCMan 1 day ago

Heage

Any device that it internet connected and has a li-ion battery has the potential to be hacked. This could apply to phones, electric cars, e-sccoters, e-bikes, laptops, tablets, etc.

walsall

What misinformation?

Uttoxeter

"I sometimes think my phone will explode with the amount of sh!te I read on this site…."

Top Tip - get a really good case and screen protector for when you throw your phone at the wall after suffering from a bad case of Fab-itis

Uttoxeter

Any device that it internet connected and has a li-ion battery has the potential to be hacked. This could apply to phones, electric cars, e-sccoters, e-bikes, laptops, tablets, etc."

It wasn’t the battery exploding- they burn yes but this was explosive - PETN being widely assumed

By *elticGent2024Man 1 day ago

Kempston

What misinformation?"

Stating “phone” rather than “pager”… two very different devices.

As an aside, I don’t think there is still an active pager network in the UK anymore.

Uttoxeter

"I'd of picked a pager to blow up because I have no idea what you need to destroy a Nokia 3310.

Thors Hammer for them

Still wouldnt scratch the Nokia 3310 you could drop a nuke directly on one and it'll atill look brand new and work "

😂 the explosive would have been pointless inside a 3310 💪 - little puff of smoke and the battery falls off…

Uttoxeter

What misinformation?

As an aside, I don’t think there is still an active pager network in the UK anymore."

There’s one UK pager service left and also Wide Area Pager Networks in hospitals etc. so are still used - high security environments where mobile devices are not allowed will sometimes allow a pager but even this is under review as a recent discovery of a car key fob on a U.K. Military Site that had surveillance hardware fitted.. 😲

By *ococockMan 1 day ago

Newcastle

"It is reported that terrorists have planted explosives in 5000 European made pagers “at a production level”.

These pagers were then remotely exploded in the Middle East, which is a place famous for awesome food, by sending a coded text to the devices!

This really is all over the news.

Are our phones safe? Can we hold them without fearing for our lives? Will the Russians fit them with nuclear options?

Why am I asking you?"

It was Israelis who planned and excecuted the attack.

The pagers were manufactured by a Hungarian company, BAC, but somewhere along the chain they had explosives and trigger boards/software installed.

By *ococockMan 1 day ago

Newcastle

"Putting aside what The IDF is doing to the people of Gaza

It's an ingenious way of attacking your enemy and something straight out of a Bond film

Will they ever admit to it

They were manufactured in Hungry so Id imagine president Orban is going to go mad "

Orban is best friends with Netanyahu.

By *ococockMan 1 day ago

Newcastle

"Pagers.

They were pagers made in Taiwan by Hsu Ching-Kuang. Don't let facts intrude."

You should maybe take that last line and learn from it.

walsall

"Pagers.

The CEO of the Hungarian factory where they were allegedly made has denied any involvement.

You should maybe take that last line and learn from it. "

walsall

What misinformation?

As an aside, I don’t think there is still an active pager network in the UK anymore."

Phones / pagers sorry for mixing the two hand held mobile comunication devices up. My bad. No incite to riot was intended…….

walsall

"Pagers.

The CEO of the Hungarian factory where they were allegedly made has denied any involvement.

You should maybe take that last line and learn from it. "

The ceo of the Hungarians have denied planting the explosives.

By *ococockMan 1 day ago

Newcastle

"Pagers.

The ceo of the Hungarians have denied planting the explosives. "

Maybe so, but the facts still stand the pagers were not made in or by Taiwan.

By *aveyBoyABCMan 24 hours ago

Heage

What misinformation?"

This they're on about Nick Knowles from Hope Not Hate claiming that a Muslim woman had been acid attacked, which led to Muslims rioting in Birmingham, Stoke, and other parts of the Uk.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 24 hours ago

in Lancashire

Round two it appears has started..

By *icolerobbie OP   Couple 24 hours ago

walsall

"Pagers.

The ceo of the Hungarians have denied planting the explosives.

Maybe so, but the facts still stand the pagers were not made in or by Taiwan. "

I never said they were. They were reported to have been made in Europe.

By *agnar73Man 24 hours ago

Glasgow

You can say one side or other are the pricks, but it’s the women in Lebanon that’ll have to pick up the mess coming out of this.

Horrible that a couple of kids were killed and injured from being nearby people with the pagers.

By *orny PTMan 24 hours ago

Peterborough

How old was Essex Tom back then?

By *elticGent2024Man 24 hours ago

Kempston

It’s not unknown for security agencies in countries (for example the UK) using intelligence to intercept deliveries of items to third parties (such as criminals or those who could be described as enemies) and replacing the intercepted delivery with a modified example, or even modifying the intercepted example.

An example of such an action could be to intercept a delivery of an electronic device, such as a smart TV, and fitting said device with surveillance equipment or more. This looks very similar to what may have happened here, and the OEM could legitimately be unaware of such activity.

By *a LunaWoman 23 hours ago

South

I dread to think what the repercussions are going to be.

By *icolerobbie OP   Couple 23 hours ago

walsall

"I dread to think what the repercussions are going to be.

"

They are probably going to retaliate by sending them a load of exploding Sinclair spectrums and forcing them to watch the games load from cassette tapes.

By *aven.Woman 23 hours ago

Not the North West...

I have a screen protector, I'm good.

By *icolerobbie OP   Couple 21 hours ago

walsall

Jesus, I’ve just seen the news. There is exploding walkie talkies now!

Over and out!

» Add a new message to this topic