FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Jury Service

Jury Service

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *heBigLibowski OP   Man 2 days ago

Hampshire

I've always been really jealous of people called up.

Finally got my letter at the ripe age of 41.

Will probably be boring as hell but looking forward to seeing how it works.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *batMan 2 days ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

I finally got one, but they turned ME down!!!

Gbat

By *laytonAMan 2 days ago

Newport

It generally is boring, and you could end up as a non participant too just sat in the waiting room watching daytime telly.

By *inaTitzTV/TS 2 days ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I've never done it and to be honest, no shade, but I'm not sure that anyone who wants to do it should.

By *ealitybitesMan 2 days ago

Belfast

I was called 20 years ago but after sitting there for 2 weeks I was never picked for a jury and I was relieved of duty.

I got a letter a few months ago telling me I was eligible to be called again anytime in the next year which is going to be really shitty as the company I work for will have to close if I am selected because there are only 2 of us here and can't operate with one person.

I'm hoping I don't get called.

By *ornycougaWoman 2 days ago

Wherever I lay my hat

"I was called 20 years ago but after sitting there for 2 weeks I was never picked for a jury and I was relieved of duty.

I got a letter a few months ago telling me I was eligible to be called again anytime in the next year which is going to be really shitty as the company I work for will have to close if I am selected because there are only 2 of us here and can't operate with one person.

I'm hoping I don't get called."

Can't you decline in these circumstances? Years ago I refused to let one of my employees have the time off for business continuity reasons (and he really didn't want to do it)

By *zeroMan 2 days ago

Glasgow

I've been sent the letter 3 times. Only went to court once and got told I wasn't needed

By *mileyculturebelfastMan 2 days ago

belfast

I've been on it twice. Picked twice the first time and once the second.

Boring as fuck but you get to see how shite some cops and parents are.

By *ealitybitesMan 2 days ago

Belfast

"I was called 20 years ago but after sitting there for 2 weeks I was never picked for a jury and I was relieved of duty.

Can't you decline in these circumstances? Years ago I refused to let one of my employees have the time off for business continuity reasons (and he really didn't want to do it) "

I've no idea to be honest. Last time out I was managing a company and the boss was in hospital having a major operation.

I tried using that as a way of avoiding it and they refused on the grounds that there were only 12 employees. I had a letter from a security company proving that I had to be on site every evening when their vehicle arrived and they wouldn't accept that either.

I think the rules were different over here because jury trials were very few and far between back then. They may have changed the rules since.

belfast

I'm hoping I don't get called."

Yes that would be a reasonable request and should get you off.

By *ornycougaWoman 2 days ago

Wherever I lay my hat

Can't you decline in these circumstances? Years ago I refused to let one of my employees have the time off for business continuity reasons (and he really didn't want to do it)

I've no idea to be honest. Last time out I was managing a company and the boss was in hospital having a major operation.

I tried using that as a way of avoiding it and they refused on the grounds that there were only 12 employees. I had a letter from a security company proving that I had to be on site every evening when their vehicle arrived and they wouldn't accept that either.

I think the rules were different over here because jury trials were very few and far between back then. They may have changed the rules since. "

Sounds like the rules are very different in London!

By *enrietteandSamCouple 2 days ago

Staffordshire

I did it in around 2007, loved it.

Read the whole Harry Potter series at the time then had to wait for the final book release.

The jury service bit was interesting but there’s a lot of waiting around. Or at least that’s my experience.

belfast

"I did it in around 2007, loved it.

Read the whole Harry Potter series at the time then had to wait for the final book release.

The jury service bit was interesting but there’s a lot of waiting around. Or at least that’s my experience."

I didn't even find the actual jury part interesting. Was all incompetence

By *r Mrs FuckableCouple 2 days ago

Stoke

Never had my jury call up either, but I used to do the police line ups where they come and take a look for the criminal down the line, got picked out once... Ooops! Not me guv! 🤣

Mr F.

By *DL13Man 2 days ago

Farnworth

"Never had my jury call up either, but I used to do the police line ups where they come and take a look for the criminal down the line, got picked out once... Ooops! Not me guv! 🤣

Mr F. "

Guessing they didn't make you sing backstreet boys?

By *r Mrs FuckableCouple 2 days ago

Stoke

"Never had my jury call up either, but I used to do the police line ups where they come and take a look for the criminal down the line, got picked out once... Ooops! Not me guv! 🤣

Mr F.

Guessing they didn't make you sing backstreet boys? "

I would of been arrested if they'd heard my singing voice!

By *ornLordMan 2 days ago

Wiltshire and London

I did it a few years back. Was on the panel for a case on the first day but not selected, fortunately as the case was a rather nasty one as it turned out. I was selected for a case on about day three and that lasted less than a day.

The experience has taught me that fuckwits are as likely to be on the jury as in the dock. I'm glad it wasn't a really serious case as some of the people on that jury shouldn't have been let out alone.

By *ansoffateMan 2 days ago

Sagittarius A

I got one, but I didn't do it.

Honestly, I can't say that I feel I've missed out there.

By *melia DominaTV/TS 2 days ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

"I finally got one, but they turned ME down!!!

Gbat "

Rightly so!

By *aveyBoyABCMan 2 days ago

Heage

I was on Jury Duty for 2 weeks back in 2012. Complete waste of time, sat on 3 trials and each one was thrown out due to Police fabricating evidence or the supposed victim crack under examination and were lying about what had happened,. Didn't have to deliberate on one trial decision.

By *unx2019Couple 2 days ago

Moray

Got selected and turned up with another 122 people to see if was going to be selected. Spent first couple of hours just being shown the courts and how system worked. Unfortunately got a case of sickness and runs so got quickly told to go away!!!

By *icknmix500Man 2 days ago

South Gloucestershire

I did it Three sex cases on the trot

By *apascouseMan 2 days ago

Liverpool

"I've never done it and to be honest, no shade, but I'm not sure that anyone who wants to do it should. "

Why is that? I'm just curious by the way

I'd love to do it to actually see how it's done. I think it would be fascinating to have that first hand experience.

I guess there could be issues with prejudices and such but that's why the judge selects from a group

By *atnip make me purrWoman 2 days ago

Reading

Never got it in this country. Got the letter once in the States but they didn't want be as i wasn't a citizen.

By *ococockMan 2 days ago

Newcastle

Got called up. Almost 2 weeks in waiting room reading books ibe been meaning to.

Finally called up and once the jury were deliberating i was dissapointed to find how easily i could sway the entire jury's decision. Swung it 3 times just to prove it wasn’t a fluke. Made.me realise how ridiculous the entire system is.

By *om and JennieCouple 2 days ago

Chams or Socials

Having worked in the crown court for many years I hope you get short, simple case/s. You really don’t want to be on anything longer than a week

By *atricia ParnelWoman 2 days ago

In a town full of colours

Watching cases in documentary's get thrown out for lack of evidence, when he clearly did it gets my blood boiling, I really don't think I'm suitable jury material

The forensic side is fascinating though

By *heGateKeeperMan 2 days ago

Stratford

Done it once and loved it. Would love to be called again

By *ildbillkidMan 2 days ago

where the road goes on forever

Over here they pay you if your called to sit for a jury,

By *unner6969Man 2 days ago

Herts/Bucks

"I've always been really jealous of people called up.

Will probably be boring as hell but looking forward to seeing how it works."

There are some long, boring bits (take a good book) but it is also very interesting, even fun and challenges your preconceptions about people.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 2 days ago

BRIDPORT

Haven’t ever been called and am hoping it stays that way.

By *929Man 2 days ago

newcastle

Is it right you can’t refuse it if called up? If so and I ever get called up I’d purposely misbehave as much as possible till I’m sent home and told not to come back

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 2 days ago

BRIDPORT

"Is it right you can’t refuse it if called up? If so and I ever get called up I’d purposely misbehave as much as possible till I’m sent home and told not to come back "

I don’t think that is how it works, it’s not school time.

If you did as you suggest you would probably be held in contempt of court, which has consequences.

There are circumstances for being relieved of jury service.

By *agatoXXXMan 2 days ago

North Haverbrook

Done it twice, and don't have to do it again because of the ol' disability thing.

By *ennifertvayrshireTV/TS 2 days ago

Kilmarnock

If it doesn’t come signed for it’s straight in the bin. Who’s got time and money for jury duty

By *icolerobbieCouple 1 day ago

walsall

You can defer it once for up to twelve months, but cannot refuse. If you don’t turn up, the police will pay your house a visit to collect you. There will be a warrant for your arrest.

There are some situations that will get you out of it altogether, usually illness or mental health issues.

By *icolerobbieCouple 1 day ago

walsall

"Over here they pay you if your called to sit for a jury, "

You are paid here also, as well as travel & food. There are limits on how much you’ll be paid.

By *orthernJayMan 1 day ago

Canary Wharf

The rules are different nowadays so the number of people electing (and being eligible to elect) a trial by Jury has diminished.

You get to see first hand why the system is always at breaking point, you couldn’t design a slower more cumbersome process if you tried!

I spent three days of my two weeks listening to why a famous supermarket, where every little helps, insisted on litigating a cheese thief who was determined to plead not guilty and demand trial by jury; must have cost tens of thousands of tax payers money; that’s a lot of fucking cheese!

Genuinely ridiculous

By *orthernJayMan 1 day ago

Canary Wharf

"I did it a few years back. Was on the panel for a case on the first day but not selected, fortunately as the case was a rather nasty one as it turned out. I was selected for a case on about day three and that lasted less than a day.

The experience has taught me that fuckwits are as likely to be on the jury as in the dock. I'm glad it wasn't a really serious case as some of the people on that jury shouldn't have been let out alone."

Completely agree re fuckwits, appreciate the system is designed to select from a cross functional society but the number of oddities in that waiting room is pure theatre; its worth the time just to people watch!

During my stint, one poor women was clearly a nervous wreck, she couldn’t keep still; I got chatting to her and she was agoraphobic, she hadn’t been outside her house for over a decade!

Another guy turned up in a bright orange jumpsuit and was told to go home and get chaged, he returns in a bright green version; he was hauled off for contempt

By *ildbillkidMan 1 day ago

where the road goes on forever

Where I used to work , they'd pay you to report for jury duty, of course they'd won't you to come to work if you didn't get picked

By *rafter69Man 1 day ago

upminster

I really enjoyed Jury duty. 3 weeks in the old Bailey was interesting let alone the social side afterwards

By *onkoMan 1 day ago

here and there

I was 18. It was the last full week before Christmas.

Turned up. Sat around. Didn't get picked. Sent home went back to work

Boring really

By *anddXXXCouple 1 day ago

London

One half has been picked twice and got out of doing it both times.

The other half has never been picked.

By *orkie70Man 1 day ago

Wakefield

I was on last year got picked for a 5 week trial it got a bit boring ar times but it beat being at work

By *r-bond-DMan 1 day ago

Wallasey

Great experience and would like to do it again

By *eaAndBiscuit1989Man 1 day ago

Burnley

I got picked just before COVID in the January (first week back after Xmas so I got 3 weeks off work).

Picked for a trial in the first week and a trial in the second week too and being the jury foreman in both, I got to deliver the verdicts.

Would love to do it again!

By *assy69Man 1 day ago

West Sussex and Wales

"I've always been really jealous of people called up.

Will probably be boring as hell but looking forward to seeing how it works."

Take a good book

» Add a new message to this topic