FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > House renovation

House renovation

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *loth280 OP   Man 3 days ago

Caversham

After a couple of years of getting things sorted, I am now in a position to renovate my house 🎉🎉🎉

Looking to do a lot of it myself, what are the traps I need to look out for?

I know this is a bit ransom for here, but worth getting as much advice as possible.....I am bricking it!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *aven.Woman 3 days ago

Not the North West...

Bricking it is good, the 3 little pigs learnt the hard way.

By *uscious_Lady1Woman 3 days ago

Norwich

Depends what you’re doing to renovate it but bricking it may be a good idea!!

My advice is to make sure everything’s straight, nothing worse than a wonky door or fireplace etc etc

By *illy IdolMan 3 days ago

Midlands

"Bricking it is good, the 3 little pigs learnt the hard way."

Surely it was only 2 that learnt the hard way? 🏠🐖🐖🐺

By *iker JackMan 3 days ago

Wolverhampton

Legislation and certification

If you don’t have the skill sets don’t do it. Wiring needs to be checked and certification passed to the relevant people and in worse case scenario insurance companies

Know where all the emergency stop points are such as for water and gas.

Do a room at a time and finish it

First fix can mainly be done by you but finishes I’d use someone who knows what they are doing or practice and research like mad

Poor tiling or any finishes can ruin a look

I did my house. I thought a few weekends. 3 years later and there’s still stuff to do.

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple 3 days ago

Lincoln

Don't. Pay someone else 😁

LvM

By *aven.Woman 3 days ago

Not the North West...

YouTube is your friend.

Caversham

"Bricking it is good, the 3 little pigs learnt the hard way.

Surely it was only 2 that learnt the hard way? 🏠🐖🐖🐺"

🤣🤣🤣

By *oo..Woman 3 days ago

Boo's World

Whatever you think it will cost you to complete add at least another £15k on top!

For all those nice surprises along the way.

By *ellhungvweMan 3 days ago

Cheltenham

"My advice is to make sure everything’s straight, nothing worse than a wonky door or fireplace etc etc "

Not so good advice if you are building an igloo

By *inaTitzTV/TS 3 days ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

By *illy IdolMan 3 days ago

Midlands

Get the dusty work out of the way 1st if you can. Be realistic on how much you have to spend. It's easy to get carried away. If you're planning on living there, do a room at a time. It's demotivating coming home to a building site every night. Don't do things on the cheap. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Jobs usually take twice as long as you expect and cost twice as much.

Good luck with your renovation

By *ornysouthwalesMan 3 days ago

Merthyr Tydfil

Always identify load bearing walls, electrics, gas and water before doing anything else

Caversham

"Legislation and certification

If you don’t have the skill sets don’t do it. Wiring needs to be checked and certification passed to the relevant people and in worse case scenario insurance companies

First fix can mainly be done by you but finishes I’d use someone who knows what they are doing or practice and research like mad

I did my house. I thought a few weekends. 3 years later and there’s still stuff to do.

"

Gas, electrics and to a certain extent plumbing are defo not for my skill level.....but most other things I want to at least be able to say I tried.

As for a time frame, I am thinking whatever I think it will be, it will be double that.

Great point with the shut offs!

By *iker JackMan 3 days ago

Wolverhampton

Gas, electrics and to a certain extent plumbing are defo not for my skill level.....but most other things I want to at least be able to say I tried.

As for a time frame, I am thinking whatever I think it will be, it will be double that.

Great point with the shut offs!"

If you know people in the trade offer to labour for them whilst they work at yours You may not save any money but you’ll pick little bits up as you go along

By *ophieslutTV/TS 3 days ago

Central

Beware of getting waylaid by numerous sexual engagements, as many can find builders etc attractive. Time is money

By *he HandiemanMan 3 days ago

north west

"After a couple of years of getting things sorted, I am now in a position to renovate my house 🎉🎉🎉

Looking to do a lot of it myself, what are the traps I need to look out for?

I know this is a bit ransom for here, but worth getting as much advice as possible.....I am bricking it!"

Depends on what you’re doing and what you mean by traps

By *elix SightedMan 3 days ago

Cloud 8

Measure twice, cut once.

Always wash your brushes.

By *ig1gaz1Man 3 days ago

bradford

Great point with the shut offs!"

gas do not touch your not experienced enough to touch that system please leave that alone.

a warning the building trade is not for diyers that have never done it before

stick to the casual jobs to do a house is another thing.

i can do all jobs and i have the experience to do so

plastering leave it alone but your more than welcome to try smaller areas its harder than it looks so be warned

bricklaying stick to outside walls learn there

electrical is easy but rules still need to be followed dont think you cant be thrown across the room or a wire goes bang and your blinded as it has happened even to me and thats through diyers fitting there stuff or someone getting power from somewhere else.

even ive helped out many others out when i was supposed to be the one doing the labour work but ended up dong the job.

im in the process of changing a 3 bed into a 2 bed split into 2 then changing mine into a 2 bed property

but i can do the jobs

im fine with anyone having a go but dont expect the jobs to be easy as they are not

By *iaandjamesCouple 3 days ago

West Midlands

Cost

Quality

Timescale

You will always compromise on at least one of those.

By *oodmessMan 3 days ago

yumsville

It's worth hiring a mini digger, just for the wft replies you get from customer services when you phone asking how you fix it

By *aughtyus40Couple 3 days ago

Warrington

"Bricking it is good, the 3 little pigs learnt the hard way."

The award for the best comment goes to…

This made me lol

(Mrs)

By *uriouscouple83Couple 3 days ago

Worcester

If you’re paying for a tradesperson to do a job, you are paying for their expertise. If you must choose to do without any of the tradespeople to bring the job in on budget then start with those you are comfortable with doing yourself.

Between us we had the carpentry and plumbing covered from day 1. Plastering we went on a short course at the local college. Gas and electrics we pay for the reassurance that it’s been done right.

By *appytochatMan 3 days ago

Deep in the New Forest

Measure once... Cut twice and bang it till it fits

By *rHotNottsMan 2 days ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Getting the right tools, Some you will need to hire and buying materials so worth getting trade accounts to save money as well as monitoring local groups and being ready to move fast on Facebook for free or cheap stuff.

I just did 14 fence panels , so an auger for the day, two cordless drills and a paint sprayer saved a few days work.

The cost of my multi fuel project is 4000 but 2300 is labour , so looking to do myself as building regs are straightforward and hiring and getting in cherry picker is only scary part.

By *rHotNottsMan 2 days ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"If you’re paying for a tradesperson to do a job, you are paying for their expertise. If you must choose to do without any of the tradespeople to bring the job in on budget then start with those you are comfortable with doing yourself.

Between us we had the carpentry and plumbing covered from day 1. Plastering we went on a short course at the local college. Gas and electrics we pay for the reassurance that it’s been done right. "

I actually find electrics way simpler than plastering which is something you only get a good at lots of practice and mistakes on mixes.

electrics is mostly common sense and all the information you need is available online. I’ve fitted electric showers and new distribution boards without any problems, But I will not attempt to plaster a wall!

As long as you get it third-party tested its all legal.

By *AYENCouple 2 days ago

Lincolnshire

We did a total back to brick reno on our house, it took us 5 years - if you're not experienced it will be cheaper to get some builders in. K.

By *urry BlokeMan 2 days ago

Since I've been in the house (5 years), I have had a new bathroom, a new kitchen, new doors and windows, new flooring throughout downstairs, a new roof on the extension and a new boiler

Still need to do the attic room (it's the biggest room in the house), the yard, the back garden, the front garden including fencing and, at some point, a new roof

It's cost a fkin fortune, but there's no way I could have done any of it myself

DIY is not my forte

My skills lie elsewhere

» Add a new message to this topic