FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Advice to new gym goers.

Advice to new gym goers.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man 5 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

So what advice would you potentially give a new gym goer?

I would tell them that you wouldnt need to jump straight into tracking every gram of protein, you dont have to optimise that yet, just get in there and get comfortable in the space, eat more protein in general, but nothing crazy, just get into the gym on consistent basis, because you are more likely to stick to the program if you ease into it

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *esco Value ThorMan 5 weeks ago

London

Concentrate on compound lifts and not a “bro split”

By *iker JackMan 5 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

Here’s my thoughts. I admire people that go to the gym. The commitment.

However as an ex gym goer I now get far more from exercising anywhere but the gym.

If I cycle a mile on a road/path/track and don’t feel like it I still have to cycle home or walk home.

Same with running

I spent many hours in a gym waiting for equipment or looking at four walls and a few mirrors.

Now for me exercise is outside in fresh air, a constant changing view and if I decide I am not “feeling” it I still have to get home rather than just get up and walk out

This isn’t a “bashing” for gym users, been there and done it and think the dedication is amazing, just no longer works for me

By *obyn GravesTV/TS 5 weeks ago

1127 walnut avenue

Don't drive there..

By *ools and the brainCouple 5 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

For a new gym goer my advice.

Don't get too serious to quickly.

Just take time to learn the equipment and how exercises work, understand that you control the weight don't let it control you in other words don't lift heavy with bad form.

GYM ETIQUETTE learn it.

Day 1 in the gym start as you mean to go on.

Respect others wipe down equipment after use, put everything away after use, if using a machine put the pin back to its lowest setting, always take a clean towel to put on seat's and benches no-one wants to sit in someone's sweat and you don't either, don't hog machines and equipment get your set's done efficiently to allow others to use the equipment, don't sit around chatting when someone else is waiting for the equipment, leave your phone at home,wear appropriate clothing, drink regularly and once again put equipment away after using it.

And respect others.

But mostly just have some fun.

By *929Man 5 weeks ago

newcastle

Train a body part frequently, full body off repeat or upper lower off repeat

Train to failure or very close to it

1-2 work sets per exercise is plenty

Select exercises that fit you, are stable and have the biggest scope for long term progression

Aim to progress all lifts every session be it a fraction more weight, an extra rep or two with same weight or even same weight and reps but with better controlling if you felt last sessions effort was a bit sloppy.

Following these simple guidelines will ensure growing muscle as fast as humanly possible

By *agerMorganMan 5 weeks ago

Canvey Island

As a new gym goer (started Monday), this is decent advice.

Though I do ask, should I still be able to exercise if I currently have DOMS?

By (user no longer on site) 5 weeks ago

PUT THE EFFING WEIGHTS BACK!

By *zeroMan 5 weeks ago

Glasgow

Form over weight. No use going heavy first if you don't have the basics right.

By *929Man 5 weeks ago

newcastle

"As a new gym goer (started Monday), this is decent advice.

Though I do ask, should I still be able to exercise if I currently have DOMS? "

Yes mate just don’t train the body part that has Doms as it’s hasn’t recovered yet but can train other body parts that aren’t sore

By *onny DangerousMan 5 weeks ago

Nowhere Town Aycliffe

Firstly, don’t go hell for leather straight from the off. You’ll likely put yourself off. Take it easy to start with and just get used to turning up regularly, to be successful it needs to become a habit, just another part of your daily routine.

Will power beats motivation.

Secondly, please please observe good gym etiquette. Leave equipment in a state you’d want to find it. Don’t linger around machines or equipment you’re not actually using. Get in, get done, get out.

By *cott14Man 5 weeks ago

Essex & SW Exeter/Taunton

The hardest bit is getting not the habit of going . Making it part of your daily / weekly routine.

I would suggest that be your focus initially . Even if it’s for 15 mins . The more you go , the more comfortable you’ll be in that environment .

Have a look around , find a gym that suits you and your personality.

Above all , have fun !! Enjoy it xx

By *ayuphighMan 5 weeks ago

the hills

Th3 above. Also get good advice on how to use everything correctly. Take your time and dont be macho with the weight. It is more important to do it right

By *ymClassDropoutMan 5 weeks ago

Berkshire

Too many things but …….off the top of my head I would say to anyone who is entering the world of resistance training -

‘Quality over quantity’.

You see members trying to lift too heavy with questionable form. Leave the ego at home.

By *aytime78Man 5 weeks ago

catesby

train hard fight easy

Berkshire

Also if your goal is to get ‘big’ a lot of the material you will find will almost certainly mention deadlifts and squats. If you do decide to attempt these be so so so so so so (is that enough so’s) careful.

I personally don’t go anywhere near these 2 lifts as I find for me even if my form is even the tinyest bit off I injure myself . For me it’s personally just not worth it.

By *umalotagainMan 5 weeks ago

a town called malice

"PUT THE EFFING WEIGHTS BACK!"

Amen to that

By *ohn heaneyMan 5 weeks ago

kildare

Just be yourself, don't ego lift as you will get injured, expect muscle pain within 2/3 days, this is normal but you will be fine after that if you continue exercising

By *iverscuMan 5 weeks ago

Berkshire

Very nice thread

By *irBobbMan 5 weeks ago

London / Birmingham

"PUT THE EFFING WEIGHTS BACK!

Amen to that "

By *oeBeansMan 5 weeks ago

Derby

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you don't know how to use a piece of equipment or if you think your form may be spotty doing an exercise and need someone to watch. A lot of people may look intense, but they're generally happy to help

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple 5 weeks ago

Coventry

Keep it fun. When it starts feeling like a chore it's harder to do. Make it work around you. Sometimes that's as simple as just squeezing in a little bit here and there. Don't be hard on yourself over it for not doing enough or going at it hard. My golden rule is doing something is always better than doing nothing. So if on a day you don't feel like hitting hard just don't. Do something light and easy instead or go for a swim or evening stroll instead. Just do something positive that doesn’t feel like a chore. There will be plenty of other days when you are ready to smash it. Likewise when you run out of time in the day for your big session don't just write it off completely. Squeeze a little something in for 20min, even if it's just a short run or a little walk. And don't pin yourselves to goals just makesure you keep your relationship with exercise positive and enjoyable. For those just looking to look after themselves physically and mentally this is all it takes and the results will come.

Mr (who likes beer and pie's but also maintaining a certain level of fitness and wellbeing)

By *ulieAndBeefCouple 5 weeks ago

Manchester-ish

Have a goal. Looking better naked is a goal but is too nebulous. Lose X cm from you waist, increase deadlift to y kg, run 5km in z mins are measurable and will be easier to track.

Form follows function. If you have a specific body shape in mind, find athletes that have that body shape and train like them. You won't get a rugby player's physique if you train like marathon runner.

Unless you are a bodybuilder or rehabbing an injury, splits and isolation exercises are 'bro science'. Train full body compound movements. Pull, push, hinge and squat are all movements we use in everyday life. For most people, getting better and stronger at these moments will have a greater benefit to wellbeing, athletic performance and body image.

Form before intensity. Make sure you are using correct form before increasing intensity (weight / no of reps / speed etc).

Start really slowly, expect to be sore but don't let that stop you going back.

B

By *ellhungvweMan 5 weeks ago

Cheltenham

The most important thing is just to keep turning up. Once you have that down as a habit then you can worry about the other stuff. If you are not turning up then the rest is irrelevant.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 5 weeks ago

Central

Go gently, as too much too soon, is the cause of many injuries and exercise dropouts. Get a plan with realistic goals and perfect what you do.

By *ornucopiaMan 5 weeks ago

Bexley

Don't even get caught up in gym culture!

If you don't have a telly and a sofa you probably don't need a gym.

Go swimming instead. Much better for you all round and kinder to your joints long term.

[Removed by poster at 14/08/24 13:58:43]

"Concentrate on compound lifts and not a “bro split”"
Yes, concentrate on the compound lifts is good too

"Here’s my thoughts. I admire people that go to the gym. The commitment.

However as an ex gym goer I now get far more from exercising anywhere but the gym.

If I cycle a mile on a road/path/track and don’t feel like it I still have to cycle home or walk home.

Same with running

I spent many hours in a gym waiting for equipment or looking at four walls and a few mirrors.

Now for me exercise is outside in fresh air, a constant changing view and if I decide I am not “feeling” it I still have to get home rather than just get up and walk out

This isn’t a “bashing” for gym users, been there and done it and think the dedication is amazing, just no longer works for me "

Yes, dedication is also needed too

By *inky_couple2020Couple 5 weeks ago

North West

"Don't drive there.. "

Oh. I'm doing it wrong then.

By *inky_couple2020Couple 5 weeks ago

North West

I'd say don't listen to people who make snarky comments about people who use gyms. I don't understand why someone enjoys darts or golf but I don't mock people who do enjoy those things.

By *omptationMan 5 weeks ago

liverpool

Great thread. I am actually going to sign up to my local gym this weekend so we’ll timed

Don’t worry about other gym goers they’re not looking at you they are on their own journey.

By *ortyairCouple 5 weeks ago

Wallasey

My hubby has recently started training again, after having great advice from someone on this thread.

He's not been in the best of health last few years, stroke, heart problems AF, diabetes etc. So he suffers from fatigue majorly. So we equipped one of rooms downstairs for him into a gym. So he has access to free weights, cable machine, running machines, rowing machine etc. His biggest issue is what training takes out of him, fatigue wise.

So he'll do a seperate push session on one day, then he has to sleep for a few hour. He does a seperate pull session, resting afterwards and works legs on another day.

So even though we don't see each other much, he sleeps more than a lion I am really proud of him.

His diabetic blood levels have gone from almost 100 8 weeks ago to 47 last week. Means if he wasn't on meds he'd be pre diabetic now.

His weight dropped by over 3 stones over a similar period but he was a bit pissed off as it wasn't coming off as quickly as at first.

However took pics of him when he started and every 4 weeks and after only 3 sets of pics the change is quite dramatic.

So think it's a question of taking it slowly at your pace. Think of the solution, not the problem, his is the fatigue, so little followed by rest, then repeat for him. And take pics, the scales don't tell the whole truth.

I'm so proud of him right now. He's never going to be the same but the 'new' him is more than enough. My man loves a good fight and he's fighting hard...

Mrs x

"Great thread. I am actually going to sign up to my local gym this weekend so we’ll timed "
That is good, ty, have fun

[Removed by poster at 15/08/24 08:36:19]

"My hubby has recently started training again, after having great advice from someone on this thread.

He's not been in the best of health last few years, stroke, heart problems AF, diabetes etc. So he suffers from fatigue majorly. So we equipped one of rooms downstairs for him into a gym. So he has access to free weights, cable machine, running machines, rowing machine etc. His biggest issue is what training takes out of him, fatigue wise.

So he'll do a seperate push session on one day, then he has to sleep for a few hour. He does a seperate pull session, resting afterwards and works legs on another day.

So even though we don't see each other much, he sleeps more than a lion I am really proud of him.

His diabetic blood levels have gone from almost 100 8 weeks ago to 47 last week. Means if he wasn't on meds he'd be pre diabetic now.

His weight dropped by over 3 stones over a similar period but he was a bit pissed off as it wasn't coming off as quickly as at first.

However took pics of him when he started and every 4 weeks and after only 3 sets of pics the change is quite dramatic.

So think it's a question of taking it slowly at your pace. Think of the solution, not the problem, his is the fatigue, so little followed by rest, then repeat for him. And take pics, the scales don't tell the whole truth.

I'm so proud of him right now. He's never going to be the same but the 'new' him is more than enough. My man loves a good fight and he's fighting hard...

Mrs x"

Hi _ortyair, that is good that he have started training again after advice from this thread, yes, you are right there, the key is to take it slowly too x

By *he KakapoMan 5 weeks ago

A nice rock

It might feel like everyone is watching you. Trust me they aren't. They are probably looking past you at themselves in the mirror. Don't believe the stereotypes most gyms are extremely welcoming places for beginners. Have fun.

By *uckyNineMan 5 weeks ago

prescot

Guys wear extra supportive underwear you never know when your excitement levels might be piqued, no one wants to be working out next to the guy with a tent for shorts

Some would even say it’s frowned upon

All joking aside you need to keep your junk secure, bounce related injuries are a thing

By *r_GreensMan 5 weeks ago

Bolton

Make small adjustments and don’t change too much at once.

First of all focus on form and consistency, don’t just think you’ve gotta do “cardio” to get fit and don’t be scared of the free weight area.

When you’ve nailed the first part choose healthier options with food and real foods and don’t nail the protein straight away because you’ll probably shit your pants 😂

Be realistic with what you want to achieve in the timeframe

Don’t think “supplements” are everything

We all started somewhere and the majority of people are happy to help if you’re unsure on what to do

By *oeydogsMan 5 weeks ago

brentwood

Lift heavy things until it hurts

By *allerthanaverage79Man 5 weeks ago

Ayrshire

Don't play shit music without headphones, don't make animal grunting noises- in general don't be a dick!

By *pankingNorfolkCouple 5 weeks ago

Norwichish

Know why you are going. If it’s weight loss you’ll need to make other changes. If it’s strength/flexibility/fitness focus on areas that will achieve those goals.

General advice from Mr would be eat less and exercise outside. Mrs would be eat less and exercise in gym.

One of the few things we differ on.

couple, us we him her.

"My hubby has recently started training again, after having great advice from someone on this thread.

Mrs x"

Good for him, well done

couple, us we him her.

Mrs x

Good for him, well done "

Genuinely well done

By *cLovin2Man 5 weeks ago

Reading

A few of you have mentioned form, can you tell me what that is?

By *929Man 5 weeks ago

newcastle

"A few of you have mentioned form, can you tell me what that is?

"

How you perform an exercise, good form = perform the exercise correctly and under control

Berkshire

"

Basically it means doing an exercise correctly and with proper technique.

For example take a barbell curl. You may see people using their back to get the bar all the way up. This is not perfect form. You only should be moving your arms.

When you are at the end of a set and approaching the last rep or 2 yes the form may go slightly out of the window due to fatigue. But the majority of the set should be with good technique.

By *hawn ScottMan 5 weeks ago

london Brixton

Advice to a new gym goer? What are their goals exactly?

By *cLovin2Man 5 weeks ago

Reading

Basically it means doing an exercise correctly and with proper technique.

For example take a barbell curl. You may see people using their back to get the bar all the way up. This is not perfect form. You only should be moving your arms.

When you are at the end of a set and approaching the last rep or 2 yes the form may go slightly out of the window due to fatigue. But the majority of the set should be with good technique.

"

Ah thanks guys

london Brixton

Well 100% agree on the form. Never sacrifice form for heavier weights

By *wistntwirlCouple 5 weeks ago

Middle Land

Take some decent headphones.

The Hevy app is great for workout ideas and tips for how to use machines etc.

By *wistntwirlCouple 5 weeks ago

Middle Land

"Don't even get caught up in gym culture!

If you don't have a telly and a sofa you probably don't need a gym.

Go swimming instead. Much better for you all round and kinder to your joints long term."

Better for you all round if you want to swim. Better 'all round' and 'kinder to your joints' is tosh.

Strength training, flexibility, mobility work are hugely beneficial.

By *ortyairCouple 5 weeks ago

Wallasey

Mrs x

Good for him, well done

Genuinely well done "

Thanks x

london Brixton

Ok first piece of advice is find a forum that specialises in all the areas of fitness, muscle building, nutrition etc.

I learned most of what I know from a forum called muscletalk that I moderated on. Unfortunately it closed after 20 years. It was founded by the guy that owns huel so guess didn't have time for it anymore.

But I'm sure there are others like it.

By *C44Man 5 weeks ago

Newbourne

Dont piss all your work away by neglecting the other aspects of your lifestyle that come in to play.

Doesn't matter how hard you train, if you don't eat, sleep and recover properly it will do fuck all for you.

Recovery isn't sitting on your arse eating cake, it's active recovery, stretching, walking,low intensity exercise, sleeping etc.

By *onkoMan 5 weeks ago

here and there

Don't go

By *orny PTMan 5 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Don't play shit music without headphones, don't make animal grunting noises- in general don't be a dick!"

With dysfunctional breathing, that's me screwed on the tread milll, 7 minute a mile as a cross country runner.

Build a schedule and routine, do a little bit of research on which muscle groups you’re try to focus on it saves the clueless staring at the weight rack that newbies often do

"Train a body part frequently, full body off repeat or upper lower off repeat

Train to failure or very close to it

1-2 work sets per exercise is plenty

Select exercises that fit you, are stable and have the biggest scope for long term progression

Aim to progress all lifts every session be it a fraction more weight, an extra rep or two with same weight or even same weight and reps but with better controlling if you felt last sessions effort was a bit sloppy.

Following these simple guidelines will ensure growing muscle as fast as humanly possible

"

Yes, training a body part frequently is good too

couple, us we him her.

Oh yeah, don't skip leg day

By *zeroMan 5 weeks ago

Glasgow

As someone above mentioned before you don't need to spend every waking moment in the gym to worry about results. The compound lifts are the best.

3 days: Full body split

4 days: Upper Lower split are the ones that's worked best for me personally.

By *iddle ManMan 5 weeks ago

Walsall

Don't be a dickhead.

Put weights back.

Don't hog equipment.

Just turn up, that's the main thing. Get into a routine, don't stress about weight or physic. Most gyms you will see a huge variety of people there.

They are off putting from the outside and new starters but majority of people are friendly.

By *hagTonight OP   Man 4 days ago

"For a new gym goer my advice.

Don't get too serious to quickly.

Just take time to learn the equipment and how exercises work, understand that you control the weight don't let it control you in other words don't lift heavy with bad form.

GYM ETIQUETTE learn it.

Day 1 in the gym start as you mean to go on.

Respect others wipe down equipment after use, put everything away after use, if using a machine put the pin back to its lowest setting, always take a clean towel to put on seat's and benches no-one wants to sit in someone's sweat and you don't either, don't hog machines and equipment get your set's done efficiently to allow others to use the equipment, don't sit around chatting when someone else is waiting for the equipment, leave your phone at home,wear appropriate clothing, drink regularly and once again put equipment away after using it.

And respect others.

But mostly just have some fun."

Those are good points, yes, one should take time to learn how it works too

By *uzzieboyMan 4 days ago

taunton

My advice would be it’s not all about the weight more the form

By *Silver-Man 4 days ago

Mold

Depends on why and what they want to work on.

At 50 yrs old I cant be asked with strict diets and strict regimes, I'm there to clear my mind more than anything and to enjoy myself.

My advice would be, go and enjoy yourself and find yourself.

By *orny PTMan 3 days ago

Peterborough

"As a new gym goer (started Monday), this is decent advice.

Though I do ask, should I still be able to exercise if I currently have DOMS?

Yes mate just don’t train the body part that has Doms as it’s hasn’t recovered yet but can train other body parts that aren’t sore "

And never exercise when ill, germs love the warm sweaty gym environment and no one wants snotty hands and faces spreading the lurgy, over the gear and door handles. Plus it will rduce yiour recovery rate.

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple 3 days ago

Lincoln

Food, sleep, and consistency are as important, if not more so than the exercising part.

LvM

By *r-8-BBCMan 3 days ago

LONDON

I like this thread. Hope it continues. I'm back at the gym working on my body after not being able to go due to my accident. It is difficult at times.

By *o_yeur_eyes_onlyMan 3 days ago

Londontown

Have specific goals.

Be consistent.

Be patient (gains might take a while, depending on the person) which leads back to be consistent.

Do classes.

Take up a sport instead (I found the gym boring).

Have fun.

By *immyinreadingMan 3 days ago

henley on thames

"So what advice would you potentially give a new gym goer?

I would tell them that you wouldnt need to jump straight into tracking every gram of protein, you dont have to optimise that yet, just get in there and get comfortable in the space, eat more protein in general, but nothing crazy, just get into the gym on consistent basis, because you are more likely to stick to the program if you ease into it "

Yeah, just start going regularly.

And don’t get carried away and overdo it, as recovery time goes through the roof then.

Regular balanced programmes with a good mix of exercise.

If lifting weights:

- learn good form / technique. Some of the best lifters I know still get lots of coaching, so beginners shouldn’t assume it’s easy

- start with high rep sets for at least the first few months

Eat sensibly. Get plenty of rest, particularly when a bit older …

By *immyinreadingMan 3 days ago

henley on thames

"Food, sleep, and consistency are as important, if not more so than the exercising part.

LvM"

Completely agree.

And I’d add technique as another cornerstone

By *ussieguyvisitingMan 3 days ago

Kettering

Clean up the diet

Use compound movements

Deadlift/squat/bench

Try and eat clean foods

Protein chicken/beef

Carbs sweet potato/ white rice

Plenty of green veg

Buy some protein and create to start you off

By *oeBeansMan 3 days ago

Derby

"Food, sleep, and consistency are as important, if not more so than the exercising part.

LvM"

Sleep? Out

By *andadbodMan 3 days ago

Liverpool

You need a specific mind set to be able to cope with the soul destroying atmosphere that gyms have, tried it a few times and just can’t stick to it, so, cycling, running and martial arts is what I do, okay i’m not ripped by any means, but for my age, i think i’m okay, and I can touch my toes without bending my legs, most guys i know my age can’t do that

By *reggSausageMan 3 days ago

derby

The most important thing with new gym starters and indeed anything you will ever do ever is consistency, just fucking show up, don’t worry about the weights the time spent on certain bits of kit, non of it, don’t even turn up with a plan, rock up three four times a week and do at least half an hour, get a feel for things, work out the best time to go for you, TELL NO ONE!! If you have weight to lose then get on the treadmill and start with walks or gentle runs, you ain’t trying to kill yourself you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of healthy living, don’t rush, cardio will come, you will get stronger

By *arlequin_tearsMan 3 days ago

Sheffield

Things that help when you're starting out.

- Have a goal.

Just 'going to the gym' is hard. If you have a target or aim it shapes your workout and provides motivation.

I use Tough Mudders. But being part of a sports team etc all helps

- Train with Someone

If there's a free PT, you have a gym buddy, or you look at classes. It helps motivate you and helps you stay consistent.

Training on your own is hard and takes serious discipline.

Training with someone keeps you honest.

Switching in a circuits, body pump, pilates or yoga is also a way to shake things up.

Plus grabbing your gym gear and being told what to do for 30-45 minutes takes less mental load

- Technique

If it's weights lift well with good technique (also where training with someone helps). Heavy will come.

- Measure

Plateaus can be hard and progress can be hard to see.

Pictures, keeping details of your routines, regular weigh-ins or measuring yourself will help you see your progress and help you keep going.

More power to you

Hope the journey goes well

By *hoc TitanMan 2 days ago

Peterborough/ London

Patience is needed , wash rinse repeat !

» Add a new message to this topic