FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Are you a perfectionist?

Are you a perfectionist?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man 7 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

I would say that I am a perfectionist, because when I start a project or doing things. I like to

strive for excellence in all that I do to my best ability and also finish it before doing new things and really do it to perfection, for example with the painting, get all the details in and the weight training too, to reach my goal in that.

It would be interesting to see if you are one too and what kind of things do you do ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ivemealadybonerWoman 7 weeks ago

somewhere

At work I definitely am, for example just last night:

We have a stand for the teas, coffees etc, I make it my life's mission to make it presentable, I stand there for longer than I should to make sure the milk pots line up in a straight order but the night guy who arrived early just threw them all in and I was doing everything in my power not to touch it (I will later when I go in!)

I wouldn't say I'm a perfectionist elsewhere, I am absolutely shocking at painting for a start!

By *urls and DressesWoman 7 weeks ago

Somewhere near here

Very much so at work, I’m beginning to realise this more and more. Everything has a place, I have a way of doing things and I like things just so.

At home, no, not really

By *abtastic Mr FoxMan 7 weeks ago

A den in the Glen

Nope. 80% will often do.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple 7 weeks ago

Leeds

Work wise yes, if you’re getting paid to do a job do it properly or don’t bother. The rest of life, nah fuck it bang it together see what we come out with.

The mr

By *illy IdolMan 7 weeks ago

Midlands

I'm not but my parents were

By *ellinever70Woman 7 weeks ago

Ayrshire

Good enough is good enough for me

By *andyfloss2000Woman 7 weeks ago

ashford

Opposite of a perfectionist! My first husband that was controlling was one! With decorating etc! In fact I was never allowed to decorate! I live in the same house and enjoy decorating it myself now! But allways like to do it a bit slap dash for that reason! x

By *oadsafun1960Man 7 weeks ago

Somerset & Hertfordshire

I guess I'm a perfectionist I try to do the best I can. I'll go back to things I'm not happy with and tweak them to get them right. I built a bar for a friend once and was forever improving it, even if they didn't notice I did.

By *hilloutMan 7 weeks ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

I suppose I am by default. Professionally, most certainly!

With day to day things, it can vary somewhat. I'll certainly be a perfectionist in matters that I attached great importance to.

By *r.SJMan 7 weeks ago

Wellingborough

Yep, well at least when it comes to my craft and playing with my wood. Very rarely ever happy with it and always wanting to tweak things a bit more

By *B69Woman 7 weeks ago

Wiltshire

Varies as to what it is I’m doing

By *enk15Man 7 weeks ago

Bidford On Avon

Nope. I'm a "Fuck it, that'll do" kinda guy

By *icecouple561Couple 7 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

No.

By *riveinsaturdayXXXMan 7 weeks ago

Bristol

No. Life’s too short. Chance often reveals the best results. Why undermine what you arrive at first and get caught in the horror of re-drafting, reworking, re-editing and seeing spontaneity drip out of it..? Mess is good. Flaws can make things more exciting.

It’s not a reason to be slap-dash or undisciplined, of course, but just being wary that perfectionism can be something that sabotages too.

By *atnip make me purrWoman 7 weeks ago

Reading

Only in interviews.

By *ripfillMan 7 weeks ago

havant

Honestly at work and in other stuff yes

“Devil is in the details “

I like accuracy! I like maths perhaps that’s why … 😈😬….although sometimes I need to slow down texting!! 🙄

By *lofeldMan 7 weeks ago

Redhill

No, definitely not. But I get by pretty nicely most of the time

[Removed by poster at 25/07/24 13:11:19]

[Removed by poster at 25/07/24 13:16:09]

By *hilledguy2020Man 7 weeks ago

Gateshead

Yes i am..im like rain man in photographic memory over last 20 odd years at work! Lok

"At work I definitely am, for example just last night:

We have a stand for the teas, coffees etc, I make it my life's mission to make it presentable, I stand there for longer than I should to make sure the milk pots line up in a straight order but the night guy who arrived early just threw them all in and I was doing everything in my power not to touch it (I will later when I go in!)

I wouldn't say I'm a perfectionist elsewhere, I am absolutely shocking at painting for a start!"

Hi giveme, that is good you are a perfectionist at work, yes, painting can be hard. I am currently paining a horse running on the beach and water all around it, it is fun too

"Nope. 80% will often do."
That is good with 80% too

By *oodynBeauCouple 7 weeks ago

Manchester

I (the Mr) am what I refer to as a lazy perfectionist. If it's something I don't really want to do, I'll put it off for as long as possible. When I eventually start I'll do it properly, to the point where it takes way longer than I had planned because I'm still learning to just say that'll do.

The other reason I'll put something off is if I'm unsure on how to do it and whether I can achieve the high standard I'd want. Then procrastinating further as to whether I should just get someone in to do it or not.

Weirdly I didn't realise until I was about 30 that I was a perfectionist and not just a lazy ass.

"Very much so at work, I’m beginning to realise this more and more. Everything has a place, I have a way of doing things and I like things just so.

At home, no, not really"

That is good you are a perfectionist at work and yes, everything have a place too

By *uriousscouserWoman 7 weeks ago

Wirral

I'm a failed perfectionist.

The gap between the performance I believe I "should" achieve and the performance of which I'm capable is a chasm and in all seriousness causes me a huge amount of anxiety.

It makes me a high achiever but at a very heavy cost.

By *westUKguyMan 7 weeks ago

Southport

Yes im a perfectionist...my diy jobs take a tad longer but i do them right, and they look superb, never rush a job, same goes with my tongue...low n slow is the only way to go .

By *ophieslutTV/TS 7 weeks ago

Central

I have this drive though work to balance things, for my health

By *agic johnsonMan 7 weeks ago

morden

I am when I lay bricks

By *Buster-Man 7 weeks ago

Mold

I used to be but it was a sad behaviour.

By *929Man 7 weeks ago

newcastle

I’m not sure if perfectionist but are very fussy especially with my work it’s very rare I complete a job and there’s not something I’m not 100% happy with it even if the customers are delighted there is always things that I think could have done better

Same with my work it the house if the slightest little thing is off it drives me insane like the sitting room coving I installed using only the main light then when the wall lights were put on there was one joint that isn’t slightly flush and it does my head in I was convinced by the ex to leave it at time but when other rooms are finished going to re do the entire sitting room because of it

By *4bimMan 7 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

Sadly yes and it's a curse.

You set yourself standards and expect everyone else to meet yours. Leads to resentment and confrontation.

I'm let this part go and just strive to be a better human being

[Removed by poster at 25/07/24 21:02:56]

"Opposite of a perfectionist! My first husband that was controlling was one! With decorating etc! In fact I was never allowed to decorate! I live in the same house and enjoy decorating it myself now! But allways like to do it a bit slap dash for that reason! x"
That is good you can decorate the house yourself now too x

"I’m not sure if perfectionist but are very fussy especially with my work it’s very rare I complete a job and there’s not something I’m not 100% happy with it even if the customers are delighted there is always things that I think could have done better

Same with my work it the house if the slightest little thing is off it drives me insane like the sitting room coving I installed using only the main light then when the wall lights were put on there was one joint that isn’t slightly flush and it does my head in I was convinced by the ex to leave it at time but when other rooms are finished going to re do the entire sitting room because of it "

That is good to alwais want to do it better too

By (user no longer on site) 7 weeks ago

"I would say that I am a perfectionist, because when I start a project or doing things. I like to

strive for excellence in all that I do to my best ability and also finish it before doing new things and really do it to perfection, for example with the painting, get all the details in and the weight training too, to reach my goal in that.

It would be interesting to see if you are one too and what kind of things do you do ?

"

You’re Scandinavian it’s in your genes.

By *oubleswing2019Man 7 weeks ago

Colchester

Yes, in some things. But that comes at a price. Because perfection is normally objective but also subjective on occasion as well. To achieve perfection takes a lot of practice and planning.

Personally, I find the word "perfection" somewhat meaningless.

"To a high or exemplary standard", and "with skill and care" to be more meaningful. Thus for the things that matter to me or others, I will always default to those definitions.

"I would say that I am a perfectionist, because when I start a project or doing things. I like to

You’re Scandinavian it’s in your genes."

Yes, it is in my genes too

By *rafter69Man 7 weeks ago

upminster

I get told im a perfectionist so I would say yes to that.

By *oupleLookingToExploreCouple 7 weeks ago

Liverpool

I don't know whether I call myself a perfectionist or if I am on the spectrum of OCD/ ASC?

Think we are all on the spectrum somewhere x

By *carlet SeductionWoman 7 weeks ago

Maidstone

No. I like to do things as well as I can but I don't beat myself up if it isn't perfect and certainly don't waste time striving for something that isn't achievable.

By (user no longer on site) 7 weeks ago

You’re Scandinavian it’s in your genes.Yes, it is in my genes too "

I spent six years in Copenhagen..........I know just how perfect the scandics are!

By *acDreamyMan 7 weeks ago

Wirral

Is there another way?

By *ansoffateMan 7 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

No I think in optimal terms.

I don't have enough time and resources to do everything perfectly. Nor do I wish to expend energy to yield diminishing returns.

If it's a passion then it's not about the results but the phenomenological experience of the moment. My motivation is to create the space in my life to indulge in such divine contentment.

By *hagTonight OP   Man 6 weeks ago

"Good enough is good enough for me "
That is good that too

By *rHotNottsMan 6 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

The opposite really.

Perfectionism & procrastination seem to often go hand in hand and just stop people moving forward. I crave the experiences of starting and learning as I go and happy to stop at 90% done and let others finish while I’m breaking the back of the next thing

By *oulderingBearMan 6 weeks ago

Falme

I think I can work to a very high standard but I consider myself a pragmatist rather than a perfectionist.

There's an excellent book called The Good Psychopath's Guide to Success which talks about there being a time and place for perfection.

It's always an assessment of resources, time and effort but also the efficiency of the task as sometimes the nest results are the most efficient.

Also recognising personal and technical limits to when you can't take something any further and you have passed the point of diminishing returns and enter sunk cost fallacy territory.

By *a LunaWoman 6 weeks ago

South

No, I’m not. I always try my best but sometimes my best isn’t good enough, and I’m confident enough to own that.

My mum is a perfectionist. It’s a little bit soul destroying to be around sometimes.

By *oulderingBearMan 6 weeks ago

Falme

"No, I’m not. I always try my best but sometimes my best isn’t good enough, and I’m confident enough to own that.

My mum is a perfectionist. It’s a little bit soul destroying to be around sometimes."

Ita also painful to watch someone who is a perfectionist work past the point of their abilities and start making things worse

By *icentiousCouple 6 weeks ago

Up on them there hills

Personally, I don’t think a perfectionist will ever find perfection.

This ability to stand back and look objectively, to me ,brings it close.

[Removed by poster at 30/07/24 20:28:30]

"No, I’m not. I always try my best but sometimes my best isn’t good enough, and I’m confident enough to own that.

My mum is a perfectionist. It’s a little bit soul destroying to be around sometimes."

Hi luna, yes, that is good you always try your best too

By *iamondsmiles.Woman 6 weeks ago

little house on the praire

I'm very lapsedaisy in everything I do. Unless .. I'm organising an event or a party them it has to be perfect right down to the last detail. Being bipolar it's great when yourbon a high

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan 6 weeks ago

Glasgow

I’m such a perfectionist that I’ve waited five days to reply to this thread *just* right.

By *ornucopiaMan 6 weeks ago

Bexley

If it's worth cutting corners then it's well worth cutting corners!

By *rsMistyPeaksWoman 6 weeks ago

Essex

Not it the sense that everything has to be just so, neat, organised.

Because I am none of those things.

Perfection to me is slightly wonky, clearly loved, done with passion and heart.

As long as I’ve put everything into it then it’s perfect to me…. And when I put everything into something then it is, by its very nature, a chaotic whirlwind.

By *he KakapoMan 6 weeks ago

A nice rock

Not even a little bit...

By *annessaTV/TS 6 weeks ago

Denham

Only in the way I dress

"I have this drive though work to balance things, for my health "
That is good too .

By *naswingdressWoman 6 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yes. It's part of my anxiety and it's a curse. My "it'll do" is most other people's fastidiously anal overthinking

By *N93Man 6 weeks ago

Waltham Abbey

I used to be a perfectionist at work.

But in the past few years when I gradually understood what the saying “done is better than perfect” meant, I slowly taught myself to let go, and It has made me become much more efficient.

» Add a new message to this topic