FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Anyone ever tried a solo holiday / travelling alone?

Anyone ever tried a solo holiday / travelling alone?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ikki.newcastle OP   TV/TS 7 weeks ago

North East

Been wanting to do it for years but was always nervous. Decided to bite the bullet and go for it. Will he early September for a few days. Want somewhere I can relax alone but also mingle with a few other holiday makers, possibly stag dos and have a bit of fun / banter. What’s your advice or suggestions of how to go about it as well as locations x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *nnCeeWoman 7 weeks ago

East of Eden, West of Hell

I went to Majorca, about 15 years ago, by myself. Ended up chatting with some girls one night and spent an evening out with them, but otherwise just bumbled about alone. Nice and relaxing, spent lots of time reading.

I also did a trekking holiday last year as a single, but on a pre-arranged group trip. Expensive, but it was a once in a lifetime trip.

By *rimson_RoseWoman 7 weeks ago

Tamworth

I love holidaying alone!

A few years back I went to Japan for two weeks and I regularly go on beach type holidays - it's great for only having to do what you want. Feeling lazy, great! Want to go on a trip, no one moaning that it's dull. Do it!

By *ong-leggedblondWoman 7 weeks ago

Next Door

I go away a lot on my own.

I usually do a holiday in PDI, once a year. I find it very friendly, and mix of swingers and bi/gay. Chill at the beach during the day. Evening out for drinks

By *ynamicnatureMan 7 weeks ago

Doncaster

"Been wanting to do it for years but was always nervous. Decided to bite the bullet and go for it. Will he early September for a few days. Want somewhere I can relax alone but also mingle with a few other holiday makers, possibly stag dos and have a bit of fun / banter. What’s your advice or suggestions of how to go about it as well as locations x"

G'day OP

What is it about going solo that makes you nervous?

In my experience travelling solo is bloody awesome!

As long as you're not shy you'll have a blast.

Im sure you'll want to go again once you've done it once

By *batMan 7 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

Serious question, how do you get sunscreen in the middle of your back?

Gbat

By *opinovMan 7 weeks ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

I while back, I decided to go travelling on my own for a couple of months. I liked it so much I didn't come back home for five years. I just kept going and going, and went to all kinds of fantastic places and did lots of amazing things I'd always wanted to do - all on my own terms at my own pace. I couldn't have done even half of it with someone else in tow. I thoroughly recommend it.

By *ong-leggedblondWoman 7 weeks ago

Next Door

"Serious question, how do you get sunscreen in the middle of your back?

Gbat "

I use an aerosol spray, for my back. Or ask the person next to me

By *luebell888Woman 7 weeks ago

Majorca

Gbat "

Buy a little tray and roller from B&Q

By *londebiguyMan 7 weeks ago

Southport

"Been wanting to do it for years but was always nervous. Decided to bite the bullet and go for it. Will he early September for a few days. Want somewhere I can relax alone but also mingle with a few other holiday makers, possibly stag dos and have a bit of fun / banter. What’s your advice or suggestions of how to go about it as well as locations x"

Benidorm i guess

By *ty31Man 7 weeks ago

NW London

I enjoy solo travel, it's been a good way to see the world and meet some interesting people that I wouldn't of otherwise.

I've found that staying in hostels is great way to meet people in similar positions.

By *ty31Man 7 weeks ago

NW London

Gbat "

Use the back of your hand not the palm

Works for me

By *im_1878Man 7 weeks ago

formby

Gbat

Buy a little tray and roller from B&Q"

Ooohhh so that is how you do it, I’ve always wondered

By *itaminMan 7 weeks ago

Felixstowe

Yeah, went to Miami for two weeks on my own about 10 years ago. Was amazing.

By (user no longer on site) 7 weeks ago

I traveled to Malaysia on my own; Kuala Lumpur. It was fantastic. I had an amazing time.

I actually never felt lonely. Have to say that the people were incredibly friendly.

I’m looking to do another solo trip soon.

By *batMan 7 weeks ago

". Or ask the person next to me "

Whilst I imagine you’d have a fair degree of success with that, more people would tell me to fuck off and fry. That’s life!

Gbat

By *heshireguy99Man 7 weeks ago

Northwich

I went to south wales and North Wales last year on my own both times I looked on see who’s near and no one was

By *olfandtazCouple 7 weeks ago

Bristol

In a previous career I used to have to travel alot. Was lucky enough to do most of Europe.

Paris is good for a few days, Amsterdam is another place I'd recommend going to

By *viatrixWoman 7 weeks ago

Redhill

I explore around the world solo most weeks.

It is so liberating not to be subjected to other people’s wants and needs… you can go wherever you want, whenever you want.

About 8 years ago ai took myself to Barbados and I got chatting to a couple on the transfer from airport to hotel. They were super friendly, we shared drinks at the beach and went snorkeling, etc. on the second day I saw a bit of jealousy in the lady’s eyes (iykyk) so I decided to step back and spent the last couple of days on my own. Years later I did wonder if it was just friendliness or if there were other motives… I was quite innocent then

Saga does holidays for solo travellers- I’ve mever used them but have had passengers who do - and there are also single cruises I believe?

Years back I used to do loads of solo travelling. Not so much anymore simply because I don’t have as much time to these days.

I would often turn up at the airport and see which destination leaving in the next few hours had seats available on a particular airline. Completely unplanned, and unscripted. Half the time I wouldn’t even have accommodations until I arrived. I’ve had many amazing experiences as a result of solo travelling. If you get a chance to, and you’re not afraid to be your own company, definitely a must do in your lifetime.

By *hePleasurerMan 7 weeks ago

Cheshire

I took a solo break in Sri Lanka when working in India. I'm happy in my own company, and I did a bit of checking on t'interweb beforehand, but I met several people along the way who helped me with the details! Arriving at Colombo airport in the very small hours, I was offered a lift into town by a lady politician who was next to me on the plane. A train journey up to Kandy in 3rd class was helped by a local man who also haggled with a tuktuk driver on my behalf. And then there was the young Austrian lady, a teacher, who knew how to get tickets on the bus... I roamed the streets without much trouble and brought back plenty of memories.

By *londebiguyMan 7 weeks ago

Southport

Gbat

Use the back of your hand not the palm

Works for me"

Yes. bit of practicing and you can easily improve flexibility too.

By *lakeyMan 7 weeks ago

Teesside

I did Tenerife for a week in 99 was an amazing week ending shagging for a few nights as well back end of the week but no issues.

I work away a lot also so used to spending time alone or talking to strangers

Travelled the world alone , sometimes for work sometimes for pleasure. Best way to travel!

By *ookie46Woman 7 weeks ago

Deepest darkest Peru

I’m going on my first one in years in September

"I did Tenerife for a week in 99 was an amazing week ending shagging for a few nights as well back end of the week but no issues.

I work away a lot also so used to spending time alone or talking to strangers "

Did you find the culture fascinating? Or were you looking for a full English and a pint of Guinness?

"I’m going on my first one in years in September "

Anywhere exciting? Please don’t say PDI in Gran Canaria!

By *batMan 7 weeks ago

"Did you find the culture fascinating? Or were you looking for a full English and a pint of Guinness?"

Genuinely interested or trying to score points?

Gbat

By *entleman JayMan 7 weeks ago

Wakefield

I haven’t been for a full holiday by myself, but I have been on short trips. Normally involving cycling and walking. I’m as happy as Larry by myself.

"Did you find the culture fascinating? Or were you looking for a full English and a pint of Guinness?

Genuinely interested or trying to score points?

Gbat "

Totally and utterly trying to score points.

By *layfulguy123Man 7 weeks ago

strat

Would love to do a cruise

Get lost and relax

By *lex46TV/TS 7 weeks ago

Near Wells

I’ve often been on holiday on my own, usually Gran Canaria. It’s the best kind of holiday. People will always make conversation and you never know what could happen.

"Would love to do a cruise

Get lost and relax "

3000 people in a confined space, you will not get lost!

I hate travelling alone, always have... that is... I hate flying. I don't mind long train rides in neighboring countries but since I don't drive my options are limited.

I absolutely loathe flying though.

By *reat me rightWoman 7 weeks ago

Rotherham

I took my daughter to America last year, just her and I. Very daunting but we had a blast. Now organising for next year!

By *ikki.newcastle OP   TV/TS 7 weeks ago

North East

I’m thinking Spain, Greece or Turkey

By *luebell888Woman 7 weeks ago

Majorca

I go alone to Majorca each year. I always book a hotel by the beach in a busy resort but travel by bus to the smaller resorts nearby.

By *xbabyxxxWoman 7 weeks ago

Bradford

I do everything on my own

By *ost SockMan 7 weeks ago

West Wales and Cardiff

I love travelling alone.

I haven’t been going too far in recent times, but even within the UK, it’s very special. I love going to North Wales - always a few Fabbers around too .

I live close to a holiday resort. I’ve noticed an upsurge in the number of solo female travellers in my local bar in the last couple of years; a good thing. They should feel confident to travel and be in such spaces .

"I go alone to Majorca each year. I always book a hotel by the beach in a busy resort but travel by bus to the smaller resorts nearby. "

Good Heavens I bet the local waiters are happy when you arrive in town!

By *CExeCouple 7 weeks ago

Lincoln/Exeter

Love solo travel. I go to Barbados most years for a week by myself.

Chels had a few days in Portugal by herself earlier this year.

I find it incredibly liberating turning the phone off and being completely removed from my usual world.

By *unshine81Man 7 weeks ago

Walsall

I've done a couple of solo holidays many years ago, they are more popular than you think, many people do it. I am planning one this Sept too. I need it now more than ever due to change in circumstances. Will be looking at this thread for tips

By *imply DeeWoman 7 weeks ago

Wherever

It is my dream to be able to travel alone. Unfortunately, unlikely to ever happen so anyone who has an opportunity to do that, please take it.

By *avexxMan 7 weeks ago

cheshire

yep i have

By *oupleSeducedCouple 7 weeks ago

Canterbury/Greenwich

Travelled lots on my own to many countries

By *hrisukbishareCouple 7 weeks ago

Edinburgh

2 weeks solo in Vera Playa this year. Lovely quiet time plus Fab meets with a few folk.

In terms of sunscreen on back. I just wandered naked to nearby people and asked them to do my back.

But really looking forward to going with K to Cap D'Agde end of this month and doing her back and front myself. Xx

By *na3444Woman 7 weeks ago

inverness

Always been too nervous to travel alone.

"Always been too nervous to travel alone. "

You would fine! Grasp the nettle?

By *allguynowMan 7 weeks ago

durham

Six years ago I went to coralejo, fuerteventura on my own. A place I know very well. Daytimes were great. Walking, sunbathing and swimming. Even got talking to a German woman on the beach who was getting hassled by a bloke. I basically told him to do one. She was in one rock circle and I was in another. We went to a restaurant that night and met again at the beach next day. Ended up having a little fun with her. All her suggestion. She went home that night. The rest of the holiday I found it a little difficult but only on an evening. Couples everywhere! If I did it again I think I'd book into a really good hotel. One of the barcelo hotels. Tend to have a gym, spa etc plus entertainment on an evening.

By *allguynowMan 7 weeks ago

durham

"Always been too nervous to travel alone. "

Don't think you'd be on your own long.

By *rHotNottsMan 7 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I went alone to the Philippines & Thailand for work three times this year had the best time ever. Also done solo photography trips extensively in Europe. I love the freedom & you’re never really alone unless you want to be. It’s much easier to make friends when alone.

This year I’m planning Uzbekistan, Venice & possibly Havana, all alone

By *vousMan 7 weeks ago

lincoln

Solo is fine. You have to make an effort to chat to people. You tend to meet some really cool folk and get up to all sorts of things you wouldn’t get the chance to do if you weren’t travelling alone.

By *tYourPleasure_80Man 7 weeks ago

Newcastle/Leeds/Manchester

Backpacked/inter rail through Europe in my mid 20s, was amazing

By *8on33Man 7 weeks ago

winfrith

yes I've booked a holiday later on in the year ,when you're on your own you either don't have one or you book it and go so I go .

By *tephTV67TV/TS 7 weeks ago

Cheshire

I was in Thailand alone a few years ago, my first solo holiday. Only booked the flight and a hotel for a couple of nights.

I had an amazing time, wake up and do anything I fancied that day, no discussion with another pack my bag and see what the day brings. Caught a bus went to Pattaya, listening to Podcasts or reading a book on the beach to partying in a club.

I think even in a relationship now I’d want to have the opportunity to still travel alone.

However I don’t think it’s for everyone, you do need to be self sufficient and not care about others around you too much. Also as you’ll be alone just make sure someone is available back home to get a message or two that indicates you are ok.

Go for it and I hope you enjoy yourself

By *iss AtlantisWoman 7 weeks ago

Visiting Blackpool

I travel solo quite a lot and I attend clubs solo at the locations too. I enjoy having the hotel rooms all to myself and I can do whatever I want whenever I want. So yeah, I really enjoy travelling solo!

By *erkshire8299Man 7 weeks ago

slough

I love travelling solo...do what you want in your own time...only downside for me is paying for single accom which is nearly as much as accom for two.

By *TR765Woman 7 weeks ago

Woking

Frequently. I love travelling on my own. As someone else said the single room supplements are the downside. However, I find the positives outweigh the negative x

By *ookie46Woman 7 weeks ago

Deepest darkest Peru

I’m planning some solo travel in September

Lisbon and Seville are top of my list

By *ost SockMan 7 weeks ago

West Wales and Cardiff

Mistifying ommision of beautiful West Wales from that list .

By *ikki.newcastle OP   TV/TS 5 weeks ago

North East

Want somewhere I can walk the streets and just get fucked by random guys

By *C44Man 5 weeks ago

Newbourne

"Want somewhere I can walk the streets and just get fucked by random guys "

Berlin. Hands down the kinkiest, most liberated, filthiest city in Europe. It's also cheap, great food, great nightlife, fantastic history and museums.

By *uttercupWoman 5 weeks ago

Borders

I do and I love it

By (user no longer on site) 5 weeks ago

"Want somewhere I can walk the streets and just get fucked by random guys "

Have you been to Newcastle?

By *ostindreamsMan 5 weeks ago

London

[Removed by poster at 04/08/24 22:30:43]

By *ostindreamsMan 5 weeks ago

London

Have done it for about 6 years now. I personally just book individual trips to suit my taste as I enjoy planning so much.

But you can go with holiday makers too. Or try companies like flashpack and GAdventures who organise group trips for solo travellers.

Where to go depends a lot on your taste. I am more of a mountains and winters freak. So I travel to places around Arctic. You might prefer beaches or city breaks.

Try staying out and not reaching the hotel before dinner as much as possible. Being alone in hotel rooms is depressing.

Safety wise, give your complete itinerary to someone before you go.

By *oiluvfunMan 5 weeks ago

Penrith

I’ve been skiing by myself before. It’s easy to make friends on the plane over, on transfer coaches, and especially in the apres ski bars.

I mean, it’s not like being a solo guy in a swinger club; people respect you……

By *izzy.Woman 5 weeks ago

Stoke area

I enjoy holidaying on my own. I've been to India, Nepal, years ago and Lesbos, Athens and a longer trip exploring North of Scotland including Orkney in the last year. You'll have a blast.

By *CBoyTV/TS 5 weeks ago

Penygraig

"I love travelling solo...do what you want in your own time...only downside for me is paying for single accom which is nearly as much as accom for two."

Yes the cost of being a solo traveller is stupid. Back in April I looked at holidays in Benidorm.. TUI were charging more for one single person than two together!!! I almost booked the holiday with a fictional partner who would be ill and not go to get a cheaper price. In the end I went with Loveholiday..but still crazy with the single person extra cosy.. aftersll I only use one seat on the plane and eat one meal per sitting do can't find any justification for huge price hike for single travellers

By *inky_couple2020Couple 5 weeks ago

North West

Yes, I've been to Spain a few times on my own. I joined language and culture courses and made excellent friends from around the world. 10/10

By *azzmanMan 5 weeks ago

ryhl

All my holidays, about 10 to different countries have mostly been alone. Aside for just 2 of them.

By *urls and DressesWoman 5 weeks ago

Somewhere near here

I love travelling alone, I’ve been all over Europe staying in hostels. I enjoy my own company and doing what I want to do with worrying about pleasing other. Planning another trip for November, when I’m next able to head off again

By *agic johnsonMan 5 weeks ago

morden

Spent over 2 years going Thailand on my own when I was young , went to Laos Vietnam Cambodia and competed in various places across Thailand

By *istressmystiqueeWoman 5 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Yes love to travel alone.

Just did 4 months in SE Asia solo backpacking.

Travelling alone is the best kind of travel. So freeing and you have the best interactions with the locals.

Anyone doubting it or nervous just book it and go for it... you won't be disappointed

I’ve done it round Europe. Was fun!

By *.hrisMan 5 weeks ago

Bath & Wilts

I've done Thailand, Mexico and Vietnam on my own. Best holidays ever. I'd reccomend anyone to give it a go alone!

By *endalshaggersCouple 5 weeks ago

Kendal

Yes. I went to see a pen friend in Croatia and then challenged myself to get back on my own with no planes involved bar the end - so mainly buses and trains. Due to time constraints it wasn't quite as long as I'd have wanted as I'd have liked to stay in some places a night (or at least longer than an hour or whatever my connection was). But saw Slovenia, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Czechia, Germany again and flew home from Paris.

By *laytime_13Woman 5 weeks ago

Lincs

Yep, went to Tenerife earlier this year on my own. Stayed in a hostel so folk around to chit chat to if I wanted and could spend time to myself if not. Win win.

I went away for 6 weeks on my own, Thailand and Austrailia.

Stay in the right places (hostels but I was younger then) and you meet people and you'll have the best time!!

By *C44Man 5 weeks ago

Newbourne

Just some advice for people from a very seasoned solo traveller on hostela.

Stay in hostels and talk to people in the common areas (you can get a private room) these are people you will literally never see again unless you want to so there is no risk, be bold.

Do the thing. Whatever it is, the boat trip, the hostel pub crawl, the walking tour... Do it.

Most people are actually kind and decent and want to show you things or experience them with you, walk up to the other solo traveler in the hostel and ask them to join you on that walk to the museum

Contrary to popular belief in the media, Americans make excellent travel companions, they are open and kind and have a genuine joy in discovering other cultures, you will likely have a great time if you meet some Americans

Be careful around the Dutch... You will not end up sober or in bed before 4am. You will have fun however

As above with the Australians

By *rHotNottsMan 5 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Just some advice for people from a very seasoned solo traveller on hostela.

Stay in hostels and talk to people in the common areas (you can get a private room) these are people you will literally never see again unless you want to so there is no risk, be bold.

Do the thing. Whatever it is, the boat trip, the hostel pub crawl, the walking tour... Do it.

Most people are actually kind and decent and want to show you things or experience them with you, walk up to the other solo traveler in the hostel and ask them to join you on that walk to the museum

Contrary to popular belief in the media, Americans make excellent travel companions, they are open and kind and have a genuine joy in discovering other cultures, you will likely have a great time if you meet some Americans

Be careful around the Dutch... You will not end up sober or in bed before 4am. You will have fun however

As above with the Australians"

Good advice , avoid the private rooms. Although I disagree about Americans I have never had good travel experiences with Americans or Canadians my opinion is Irish , Scottish and Dutch are the best

I used hostels extensively in the 1990s for Travel I really enjoyed it , particularly the backpacker type hostels in Asia and Australia . Then grown-up life found me spending thousands on holidays unnecessarily for a few years, But I quickly rediscovered proper travel with my kids although hostels don’t always work well for young families other than YHA type places many alternatives like K CAMP Eurocamp etc in Europe. Africa and Asia is harder with kids.

When my kids hit 18 I hosteled a little bit with them in fact we did it from 16/17 with fake ID ‘s actually in Asia and Europe! Then I had lucrative career and just didn’t bother with budget travel all much.

Now I am rediscovering it and it is absolutely amazing I’ve been looking at Peru, Philippines places with breakfast for £4 per night on beautiful beaches, self transfer flights if you have a dragon lounge pass, Self transfer is actually quite an adventure and a fraction of the price.

Also most airports are now well connected by buses and trains unlike years ago we had to organise transfers or risk haggling with taxi drivers now you can get practically anywhere with a local bus or train or metro often from right Inside the airport for £5-£10. Travel became super easy

By *oxychicWoman 5 weeks ago

Nottinghamshire

Gbat "

Spray on sun lotion lol

» Add a new message to this topic