FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Lower back pain

Lower back pain

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    11 weeks ago

I’m 25 and I’m getting lower back pain what the hell is going on

I feel like I need a daily lower back massage just to keep it at bay. I reckon it’s the shitty office chairs at work. They’re the old blue ones with no support whatsoever. Anyone know any good massage therapists? Or any other tips for dealing with this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ou only live onceMan 11 weeks ago

London

Look up the 'McGill Big 3'...

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS 11 weeks ago

stockport

Never too late to take up yoga as it will help you immensely

By *icecouple561Couple 11 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Check out exercises that strengthen your core but see a gp to rule out anything structural. Does your job have a health and safety officer? If so mention the chairs to them

By *lueeyedchapMan 11 weeks ago

Nottingham

Naproxen + codeine phosphate.

By *cottish guy 555Man 11 weeks ago

London

Visit a chiropractor.

By *agicM53XMan 11 weeks ago

Orpington

I'm a physical therapist...my advice is to speak face to face with a professional and let them do a proper assessment. Any activity or exercise you might do could potentially aggravate the issue (when you don't know what the issue is). There are so many important factors that one should know before giving any type if advice...how intense is the pain? what type of pain ? ( dull /stabbing/ stinging/ shooting) does the pain aggravate in certain positions or doing certain movements? Is the pain more noticeable in specific moments of the day?

It is possible it's just the way you sit on the chair, sure...or it could be something else...GET AN ASSESSMENT!

By *aul DeUther-OneMan 11 weeks ago

Seaside Sussex

"Never too late to take up yoga as it will help you immensely "

20 minutes per day of brisk walking is also an excellent way to ease lower back pain.

By *ushroomhead10Man 11 weeks ago

ashby de la zouch

I have the save mine is 3 herniated discs

By *ophieslutTV/TS 11 weeks ago

Central

Learn more about good posture

By *asycouple1971Couple 11 weeks ago

midlands

Get a better office chair from work.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 11 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

Sitting.

It is simply sitting.

Sitting is death.

You have a sitting job.

Sitting is bad posture

Sitting is not what humans were born for.

Now you know it's SITTING - which is forcing your spine to take pressure and curve in ways it isn't intended to you can do MANY things about it.

There is some good advice above but NOT the painkillers. You wouldn't keep hitting your thumb with a hammer and taking pain killers you would STOP hitting it so if you need a painkiller make sure they are not the only thing you do.

The FIRST thing you should do of a morning is STRETCH ( look up some easy exercises) an easy start would be sitting on a chair and bending slowly over so that to everyone else it seems as if you are looking for something under the chair but just can't be arsed to get up. Stretch both arms right under the chair and feel that stretch in the spine. ( after week one do it standing )

WALK every day or twice a day ( about half an hour.. not lots )

GET OUT OF YOUR CHAIR every 50 mins and stay out of it and walk and stretch. If you can't go anywhere walk around your chair. Stand at the back of it and stretch. Stretch both hands to the ceiling and look up at them and let your head go gently back.

It's no good BLAMING the chair but do find out about your chair and perhaps take one in of your own if you want a more ergonomic one. The BLAME lies with your incorrect posture due to SITTING.

Disclaimer: As someone said - find the real cause. I stake my bottom dollar it's being sedentary but do find out first.

Stand more. Stretch often.

In two weeks time go swimming once a week

King's Crustacean

You can do LOADS in work even while still on the chair.

By (user no longer on site) 11 weeks ago

"You can do LOADS in work even while still on the chair. "

Please not that Granny Crumpet runs an online store selling quality orthopaedic chairs - Fab can take no responsibility for any purchases made as a result of the preceding posts

By *quirrel!Man 11 weeks ago

x

"I’m 25 and I’m getting lower back pain what the hell is going on

I feel like I need a daily lower back massage just to keep it at bay. I reckon it’s the shitty office chairs at work. They’re the old blue ones with no support whatsoever. Anyone know any good massage therapists? Or any other tips for dealing with this? "

DSE assessment, Yoga/stretches, a massage gun, the right shoes

By *akedMMan 11 weeks ago

Witney

I have regular back pain. Stretching every morning helps along with swimming three times a week.this keeps me off pain killers. Unless I have a big flare up

King's Crustacean

"You can do LOADS in work even while still on the chair.

Please not that Granny Crumpet runs an online store selling quality orthopaedic chairs - Fab can take no responsibility for any purchases made as a result of the preceding posts "

Coming soon ... beds and bathing

By *rHotNottsMan 11 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Stand don’t sit on an office, sitting is the worse thing for your lower back.

Standing keeps you fitter, you get more steps , more active , less back pain , why do so many people sit all day?

Laptop risers are cheap even a proper standing desk kit is less than £100, a small price to pay for weight control and care of your back

Dubai & Nottingham

"Sitting.

It is simply sitting.

Sitting is death.

You have a sitting job.

Sitting is bad posture

Now you know it's SITTING - which is forcing your spine to take pressure and curve in ways it isn't intended to you can do MANY things about it.

There is some good advice above but NOT the painkillers. You wouldn't keep hitting your thumb with a hammer and taking pain killers you would STOP hitting it so if you need a painkiller make sure they are not the only thing you do.

The FIRST thing you should do of a morning is STRETCH ( look up some easy exercises) an easy start would be sitting on a chair and bending slowly over so that to everyone else it seems as if you are looking for something under the chair but just can't be arsed to get up. Stretch both arms right under the chair and feel that stretch in the spine. ( after week one do it standing )

GET OUT OF YOUR CHAIR every 50 mins and stay out of it and walk and stretch. If you can't go anywhere walk around your chair. Stand at the back of it and stretch. Stretch both hands to the ceiling and look up at them and let your head go gently back.

It's no good BLAMING the chair but do find out about your chair and perhaps take one in of your own if you want a more ergonomic one. The BLAME lies with your incorrect posture due to SITTING.

Disclaimer: As someone said - find the real cause. I stake my bottom dollar it's being sedentary but do find out first.

In two weeks time go swimming once a week"

Great advice but ditching the chair will also solve all those problems plus more.

It’s really easy you go to work and tell them you don’t sit, you stand. My first standing desk was a pile of books. I’ve used various risers but settled on a small folding wooden chair I put on the table at home or take into the office

Within a year or two everyone in the office will have followed you - apart from the really overweight people always moaning about back pain , they will still be sitting all day long compressing those lower discs.

By *inky_couple2020Couple 11 weeks ago

North West

"Sitting.

It is simply sitting.

Sitting is death.

You have a sitting job.

Sitting is bad posture

Great advice but ditching the chair will also solve all those problems plus more.

It’s really easy you go to work and tell them you don’t sit, you stand. My first standing desk was a pile of books. I’ve used various risers but settled on a small folding wooden chair I put on the table at home or take into the office

Within a year or two everyone in the office will have followed you - apart from the really overweight people always moaning about back pain , they will still be sitting all day long compressing those lower discs.

"

Yes, I'm one of the fat people who won't be getting a standing desk

North West

Once you've been checked out by a pro hopefully established it's nothing too serious, get a workstation ergonomics assessment. It's no good us saying get this or that, because what suits me might not suit you.

I personally have an adjustable height desk and use a sit/stand saddle chair. Mine is a Hag Capisco chair. I sit at a fairly high height because in my personal situation, it stops my left leg from going numb.

Dubai & Nottingham

"Sitting.

It is simply sitting.

Sitting is death.

You have a sitting job.

Sitting is bad posture

Yes, I'm one of the fat people who won't be getting a standing desk "

People who can stand without causing pain or injury really should not be sitting all day compressing the lower discs and developing a weak core - any decent physio should know this.

Sure - It’s not going to work for everyone

North West

"Sitting.

It is simply sitting.

Sitting is death.

You have a sitting job.

Sitting is bad posture

Yes, I'm one of the fat people who won't be getting a standing desk

People who can stand without causing pain or injury really should not be sitting all day compressing the lower discs and developing a weak core - any decent physio should know this.

Sure - It’s not going to work for everyone "

Indeed. It's why I don't remain in my wheelchair for work, as much as possible, and transfer to an adjustable height desk set at about 850mm and sit in my saddle chair with my legs extended. If I sit at an ordinary desk in an ordinary desk chair, my injured leg goes numb, as does my entire vulva and left bum cheek.

By *hilloutMan 11 weeks ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

"I'm a physical therapist...my advice is to speak face to face with a professional and let them do a proper assessment. Any activity or exercise you might do could potentially aggravate the issue (when you don't know what the issue is). There are so many important factors that one should know before giving any type if advice...how intense is the pain? what type of pain ? ( dull /stabbing/ stinging/ shooting) does the pain aggravate in certain positions or doing certain movements? Is the pain more noticeable in specific moments of the day?

It is possible it's just the way you sit on the chair, sure...or it could be something else...GET AN ASSESSMENT!"

As a fellow advanced practice colleague, I second this opinion

By *a LunaWoman 11 weeks ago

South

I’ve got sciatic nerve damage and in my previous job I had a work station assessment to make sure everything was suitable for me. So make sure you ask for one of those!

In my current job I have a special ergonomic chair which has helped a lot. I also have something which lifts my keyboard off the desk at an angle. Looks similar to a book rest but not sure of the proper name.

A work colleague had one of those adjustable work desks for standing but didn’t particularly rate it.

Get up and walk about often. Maybe standup to take phone calls. Etc.

Move, little and often to start. Although I know it’s not easy when in pain.

By *icecouple561Couple 11 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I had a specially adapted chair at work that was adjusted specifically for my height, weight, particular back problem etc.

It was amazing how many people were either more knowledgeable about my back than me, my surgeon, the guy who set the chair up or who thought it wouldn't matter if they just altered one of the settings so they could try it out be because they'd pulled a muscle.

Don't presume to know about someone else's back problem or give advice other than basic see you doctor, get a decent chair and strengthen your core.

By *punk n gushCouple 11 weeks ago

walmer

"I have the save mine is 3 herniated discs"

Yer they bloody hurt I have the same waiting on steroid injection and nerve ablation again works wonders but only last 2 years

By *hrill CollinsMan 11 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

I feel like I need a daily lower back massage just to keep it at bay. I reckon it’s the shitty office chairs at work. They’re the old blue ones with no support whatsoever. Anyone know any good massage therapists? Or any other tips for dealing with this? "

do you ever get any knee pain at all?

By *rimson_RoseWoman 11 weeks ago

Tamworth

Professional appointment for your back and a proper DSE assessment - your organisation should be ensuring that these are conducted and reviewed as required by law.

By *abluesbabyMan 11 weeks ago

Gibraltar/Cheshire/London

Great succinct advice to get checked out by many already but I would like to add another shout out for Yoga. My lower back was same as you and someone suggested Yoga and sceptical me was "Yeah. Right".

Never had any pain since!

By *orksguy1965Man 11 weeks ago

Howden

[Removed by poster at 20/07/24 11:53:44]

By *orksguy1965Man 11 weeks ago

Howden

"I’m 25 and I’m getting lower back pain what the hell is going

I'd recommend see one of those guys who clicked your body back into place. Or sports massage

By (user no longer on site) OP    11 weeks ago

I feel like I need a daily lower back massage just to keep it at bay. I reckon it’s the shitty office chairs at work. They’re the old blue ones with no support whatsoever. Anyone know any good massage therapists? Or any other tips for dealing with this?

do you ever get any knee pain at all?"

No it’s just poor chairs at my work and probably working too hard

North West

I feel like I need a daily lower back massage just to keep it at bay. I reckon it’s the shitty office chairs at work. They’re the old blue ones with no support whatsoever. Anyone know any good massage therapists? Or any other tips for dealing with this? I'd recommend see one of those guys who clicked your body back into place. Or sports massage "

No, don't see a chiropractor.

OP, see a properly qualified physio.

By *agic johnsonMan 11 weeks ago

morden

Do some assisted pull ups or just hang and lift your knees it works for me , my back was fucked after years of bricklaying and steel erecting

By *egoMan 11 weeks ago

Preston

"I'm a physical therapist...my advice is to speak face to face with a professional and let them do a proper assessment. Any activity or exercise you might do could potentially aggravate the issue (when you don't know what the issue is). There are so many important factors that one should know before giving any type if advice...how intense is the pain? what type of pain ? ( dull /stabbing/ stinging/ shooting) does the pain aggravate in certain positions or doing certain movements? Is the pain more noticeable in specific moments of the day?

It is possible it's just the way you sit on the chair, sure...or it could be something else...GET AN ASSESSMENT!"

Yep this, i know alot through experience, but wont prescribe anything without knowing more.

Just go to a private physio.

By *lder.Woman 11 weeks ago

Not Local

Asian squats Ive read is the position the back likes to be in for 'sitting'. You may need to put your computer on the floor instead and squat instead of sit. If any of the above excellent advice doesnt work

By *aughtynottsCouple 11 weeks ago

Outside Nottingham

Cbd patches

Rubbing caster oil into your lower back before bed every night

Laying flat and curling your knees upto your chest and rocking.

Dubai & Nottingham

I feel like I need a daily lower back massage just to keep it at bay. I reckon it’s the shitty office chairs at work. They’re the old blue ones with no support whatsoever. Anyone know any good massage therapists? Or any other tips for dealing with this? I'd recommend see one of those guys who clicked your body back into place. Or sports massage

No, don't see a chiropractor.

OP, see a properly qualified physio."

I suffered with a bad back for years (caused by excess weight, sitting, bad posture and lifestyle) , the result was disc bulges at L3/4 permanently pressing into the root nerve caused permanent nerve damage down the outside of my leg, repeated slipped disks, zero core strength

Physio would never spot this without MRI scan and they also cannot prescribe nerve root blockers or pro gabba. They will get you doing daft exercises that can make it worse.

OP - stand instead of sitting all day and it will magically fix itself in a month

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man 11 weeks ago

Stourbridge

Get professional advice in person. You can cause all sorts of issues following well meant but incorrect advice.

I have slipped 4 discs, broken 2 vertebrae, 6 ribs and collarbone. Wouldn’t trust anyone but a medical professional

» Add a new message to this topic