FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Getting quotes for car accident repairs

Getting quotes for car accident repairs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ex-a-frolics OP   Couple 11 weeks ago

Brizzle

Somebody drove into the side of our car when it was parked up, luckily she left her details.

We are both adamant we don’t want to go through insurance, (they’d probably write ours off even though it’s just cosmetic damage). Presumably it’s a straightforward job to get a written quote which I can pass on & they will pay. What I’m getting at from a repairers point of view are they bothered whether we go privately or through insurance, do we need to tell them & will that affect their quote?

A friend also suggested we don’t get the work done & maybe put money towards a new vehicle?

I know a lot of people would say go through insurance but it’s an old car & we’d both be penalised.

Thanks for your help.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *elloWoman 11 weeks ago

alpha centauri

Few years ago, someone went into the back ofy car, I got a quote from the local garage and gave him the option of paying for the repair just between us or going through the insurance. He chose payment between us, I pocketed the money, got my dad to fix the damage for free, and didn't inform the insurance company.

By *aveE10Man 11 weeks ago

derry

Hey op, I do a wee bit of body work on the side. Take it to any reputable garage and they will give you a quote if you need any help shoot me a message

By *icecouple561Couple 11 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Get a quote, it *shouldn't* make any difference if you're a private customer or it's for insurance and decide nothing until the other person has seen it. People have a habit of changing their minds when they see how much it's going to cost.

By *oadsafun1960Man 11 weeks ago

Somerset & Hertfordshire

Just get a quote from a local body shop ( preferably one you have had recommended by someone who's used them)

Then give the other driver the option to pay or put it through the insurance, if it goes to insurance it's a no fault claim on your part so shouldn't make a huge amount of difference to your future premiums as their insurance should pay.

By *uri00620Woman 11 weeks ago

Croydon

This happened to me. My car isn't worth much but I knew it would be written off and I didn't want to be in a position of having to rush buy another. 2 garages quoted way more than the car was worth.

I couldn't ask the chap to fork out 1200 in repairs when it's worth only worth 600 or so.

Long story short he didn't cough up any money anyway

By *agatoXXXMan 11 weeks ago

Mordor

"Somebody drove into the side of our car when it was parked up, luckily she left her details.

We are both adamant we don’t want to go through insurance, (they’d probably write ours off even though it’s just cosmetic damage). Presumably it’s a straightforward job to get a written quote which I can pass on & they will pay. What I’m getting at from a repairers point of view are they bothered whether we go privately or through insurance, do we need to tell them & will that affect their quote?

A friend also suggested we don’t get the work done & maybe put money towards a new vehicle?

I know a lot of people would say go through insurance but it’s an old car & we’d both be penalised.

Thanks for your help.

"

Failing to notify your insurance co. can affect your future cover.

By *ex-a-frolics OP   Couple 10 weeks ago

Brizzle

I’ve since had one quote for repairs & it’s astronomical & don’t think the 3rd party will pay. If we go through the insurance & she admits fault, she has no choice I wasn’t even driving at the time, will the insurance company file it as a no fault claim with no penalties to my premium or NCB?

By *icecouple561Couple 10 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I’ve since had one quote for repairs & it’s astronomical & don’t think the 3rd party will pay. If we go through the insurance & she admits fault, she has no choice I wasn’t even driving at the time, will the insurance company file it as a no fault claim with no penalties to my premium or NCB?"

Speak to your insurance company. They're the only ones who can tell you. Do you have a named driver in your policy or are you a named driver on someone else's.

In these cases the person at fault very rarely pays when they see the actual quote.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 10 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

"I’ve since had one quote for repairs & it’s astronomical & don’t think the 3rd party will pay. If we go through the insurance & she admits fault, she has no choice I wasn’t even driving at the time, will the insurance company file it as a no fault claim with no penalties to my premium or NCB?"

As a no fault incident it will still go on your insurance history, this, along with other factors are always considered when an insurance quote is given.

So ultimately, yes, it will have an affect on your premium but it should be minimal.

» Add a new message to this topic