FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > I don't like cricket...

I don't like cricket...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *naswingdress OP   Woman 12 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

I love it.

Taking cricket discussion out of the other thread before I really irritate people

Is trying to make professional cricket a thing in America a genius move, or trying to make fetch happen?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *he turned me GreyCouple 12 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

Howz that Swing.....

Mr

By *ulieAndBeefCouple 12 weeks ago

Manchester-ish

I feel like it would've happened already if it was going to.

I love cricket too! And TMS especially

J

Manchester (she/her)

"Howz that Swing.....

Mr "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOPEhg_dNPE (Howzat - Sherbet)

Manchester (she/her)

"I feel like it would've happened already if it was going to.

J"

I'm not tribal or obsessed, but about a month ago a friend took me to see Lancashire Thunder and Lightning and it rekindled something in me. And I'm super amused by Major League Cricket being a thing in America

By *4bimMan 12 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

[Removed by poster at 13/07/24 13:26:23]

By *4bimMan 12 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

don't know you raise an interesting point.

Your not an irritant btw.

Anyway, I find exposing Americans to cricket fascinating as they already have an established baseball league in professional and college.

The money someone can earn in the majority league us staggering compared to what cricket would bring so from a young age you'd want a talented child to play baseball.

Do we need a world series of cricket?

By *4bimMan 12 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

Or major league for that matter. Blasted auto correct

By *C44Man 12 weeks ago

Newbourne

"I love it.

Taking cricket discussion out of the other thread before I really irritate people

Is trying to make professional cricket a thing in America a genius move, or trying to make fetch happen?"

It's a bad thing, American money gets involved and it goes to the dogs, just look at F1, stupid tracks chasing the money in places that have no history or connection, changing race times to cater to American advertisers. The IPL has done enough damage to the game already (just look at the west indies test team) we don't need it.

By (user no longer on site) 12 weeks ago

"I love it.

Is trying to make professional cricket a thing in America a genius move, or trying to make fetch happen?"

Cricket is the ultimate sport. It’s physical chess.

The septics haven’t got the attention span of a fruit fly so cricket will be s passing phase.

Manchester (she/her)

"don't know you raise an interesting point.

Anyway, I find exposing Americans to cricket fascinating as they already have an established baseball league in professional and college.

The money someone can earn in the majority league us staggering compared to what cricket would bring so from a young age you'd want a talented child to play baseball.

Do we need a world series of cricket?"

The Indian T20 is apparently extremely lucrative so they're trying to replicate it in the US.

There is a world cup - it was just held, and partly in the US. It was really interesting watching the commentary (particularly when the US beat Pakistan, that was a hell of an upset. Although some of the commentators pointed out that "Team USA" was more like "Team India A" - that's how they get around the lack of players)

I don't know to what extent baseball and cricket are different skillsets - I've been exposed to very little baseball.

"I feel like it would've happened already if it was going to.

J

I'm not tribal or obsessed, but about a month ago a friend took me to see Lancashire Thunder and Lightning and it rekindled something in me. And I'm super amused by Major League Cricket being a thing in America "

I am a member and often go and enjoy the beautiful game!

Manchester (she/her)

"I love it.

Is trying to make professional cricket a thing in America a genius move, or trying to make fetch happen?

It's a bad thing, American money gets involved and it goes to the dogs, just look at F1, stupid tracks chasing the money in places that have no history or connection, changing race times to cater to American advertisers. The IPL has done enough damage to the game already (just look at the west indies test team) we don't need it. "

It's possible. I don't know much about the professionalism in India. I do know that they're going to focus on T20, so America is unlikely to have an effect on the tests.

I spent a few hours awhile ago watching Americans on Youtube trying to wrap their heads around cricket and watching some of the world cup. Taking the money and politics out of the equation, I thought that was really nice. (and MLC has a team in San Francisco, a city I have a slight emotional attachment to. The fact that their team name is the Unicorns is hysterical)

By *ansoffateMan 12 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

I think it's too late to civilise those colonials, have you seen what they do to their tea?

I don't know to what extent baseball and cricket are different skillsets - I've been exposed to very little baseball.

They are not comparable. Baseball is two dimensional, someone throws a ball at you from a standing start and some tries to belt it out of the ground.

Baseball has no strategy no guile no thought process and no style. Perfectly suited to America!

By the wayT20 is not cricket it’s pale imitation.

Test cricket .............the ultimate challenge.

Manchester (she/her)

"I think it's too late to civilise those colonials, have you seen what they do to their tea?"

Never say never

Manchester (she/her)

"I don't know to what extent baseball and cricket are different skillsets - I've been exposed to very little baseball.

They are not comparable. Baseball is two dimensional, someone throws a ball at you from a standing start and some tries to belt it out of the ground.

Baseball has no strategy no guile no thought process and no style. Perfectly suited to America!

Test cricket .............the ultimate challenge."

If you don't consider T20 to be cricket then it being played in America probably isn't a problem.

I just see the different formats as different flavours of the same thing.

"I think it's too late to civilise those colonials, have you seen what they do to their tea?

Never say never "

Once tried explaining cricket to a couple of American colleagues. They struggled with the fact a game could last 5 days an still be a draw.........

By *C44Man 12 weeks ago

Newbourne

"I love it.

It's a bad thing, American money gets involved and it goes to the dogs, just look at F1, stupid tracks chasing the money in places that have no history or connection, changing race times to cater to American advertisers. The IPL has done enough damage to the game already (just look at the west indies test team) we don't need it.

It's possible. I don't know much about the professionalism in India. I do know that they're going to focus on T20, so America is unlikely to have an effect on the tests.

I spent a few hours awhile ago watching Americans on Youtube trying to wrap their heads around cricket and watching some of the world cup. Taking the money and politics out of the equation, I thought that was really nice. (and MLC has a team in San Francisco, a city I have a slight emotional attachment to. The fact that their team name is the Unicorns is hysterical)"

That's the problem though, everyone goes off to chase big money in the ipl and big bash and even the 100,they don't play test cricket at a first class level, West indies 1st class cricket has basically died now. We may get 20 high octane franchise 20 over leagues around the world but test cricket is real cricket. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy going to watch limited overs and t20 has done a lot for getting the women's game where it is now in terms of exposure and money. But cricket is 5 days, red ball, pissed in the stands by 1pm on a Thursday.

"I don't know to what extent baseball and cricket are different skillsets - I've been exposed to very little baseball.

If you don't consider T20 to be cricket then it being played in America probably isn't a problem.

I just see the different formats as different flavours of the same thing."

T20 is, I am afraid to say, not cricket. It’s a two hour thrash to appease the great unwashed!

Manchester (she/her)

"I love it.

I spent a few hours awhile ago watching Americans on Youtube trying to wrap their heads around cricket and watching some of the world cup. Taking the money and politics out of the equation, I thought that was really nice. (and MLC has a team in San Francisco, a city I have a slight emotional attachment to. The fact that their team name is the Unicorns is hysterical)

That's the problem though, everyone goes off to chase big money in the ipl and big bash and even the 100,they don't play test cricket at a first class level, West indies 1st class cricket has basically died now. We may get 20 high octane franchise 20 over leagues around the world but test cricket is real cricket. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy going to watch limited overs and t20 has done a lot for getting the women's game where it is now in terms of exposure and money. But cricket is 5 days, red ball, pissed in the stands by 1pm on a Thursday. "

I'm just not a purist like that.

Manchester (she/her)

T20 is, I am afraid to say, not cricket. It’s a two hour thrash to appease the great unwashed!"

OK.

My background in cricket comes from my family's working class regional background, so you'll have to excuse me for not agreeing with you. I really despise elitism.

By *r John WickMan 12 weeks ago

The Continental

Cricket is awesome.

I love it!

By *4bimMan 12 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

I suppose you could say that they are trying to expand the game of cricket like the NFL have with American football.

I'm sure with American marketing they could sell it to the people.

Could you see baseball stadiums have cricket and baseball on the same day?

Manchester (she/her)

"I suppose you could say that they are trying to expand the game of cricket like the NFL have with American football.

I'm sure with American marketing they could sell it to the people.

Could you see baseball stadiums have cricket and baseball on the same day?

"

Absolutely.

I think all sports go through these stages to some extent, to make it more accessible or profitable or worth the money it costs to keep it going.

The example that comes to mind - sorry it's obscure in this context - is the professionalisation of the Australian Football League (formerly Victorian) by hiring Tina Turner to do an Australian cover of Simply the Best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cadTFaxNFQw

Best game on the planet ??

By *C44Man 12 weeks ago

Newbourne

"

I'm just not a purist like that."

And that's fair. I admit the purists keep it quite an elitist game but for me the skill in cricket is the battles of wits between the bowlers and batters. That can develop so much over 5 days. T20 is fun but the emphasis being put on it is damaging test cricket

Sagittarius A

"I think it's too late to civilise those colonials, have you seen what they do to their tea?

Never say never "

Have you ever been to Alabama?

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS 12 weeks ago

chichester

Gosh no

Cricket is up there with gold for me at being dull to watch.

Can’t see the Americans embracing it. They barely like football / soccer

Manchester (she/her)

Never say never

Have you ever been to Alabama? "

No. But I'm not going to slag off millions of people because of the behaviour of a few of them.

Sagittarius A

Never say never

Have you ever been to Alabama?

No. But I'm not going to slag off millions of people because of the behaviour of a few of them."

I was joking. I love America, I am skeptical about whether cricket would take off though. Still who knows stranger things have happened.

By *lder.Woman 12 weeks ago

Not Local

I dont know much about cricket, or Americans, so based on nothing at all, I reckon cricket is to slow for the Americans and they won't enjoy it.

By *C44Man 12 weeks ago

Newbourne

"I dont know much about cricket, or Americans, so based on nothing at all, I reckon cricket is to slow for the Americans and they won't enjoy it. "

I thought that until I saw baseball, good god that's a slow repetitive game

By *cLovin2Man 12 weeks ago

Reading

The Indian T20 is apparently extremely lucrative so they're trying to replicate it in the US.

There is a world cup - it was just held, and partly in the US. It was really interesting watching the commentary (particularly when the US beat Pakistan, that was a hell of an upset. Although some of the commentators pointed out that "Team USA" was more like "Team India A" - that's how they get around the lack of players)

I don't know to what extent baseball and cricket are different skillsets - I've been exposed to very little baseball."

To us long suffering Pakistan fans, it was more torture, I often wonder why we still put up with it.

Kinda like masochists

By *ackformore100Man 12 weeks ago

Tin town

"I love it.

Depends what format of the game you're talking about. The slogfest that is t20 or it's close neighbour the 100 or the long format 5 day test match.

I remember being in a bar in florida and discussing cricket with them and the concept of a 5 day contest that could end in an incredible draw blew their minds.

I'm not sure Americans grasp the concept of draws in sporting contests. It's too "slow" for American market. Having said that they can weave loads of commercials into the coverage. But no i think they'd rather do competive nerfing than learn cricket.

Manchester (she/her)

To us long suffering Pakistan fans, it was more torture, I often wonder why we still put up with it.

Kinda like masochists "

Fair. I'm not super tribal. Like, I feel slightly pleased when Australia does well, but it's a passing thing.

By *glyBettyTV/TS 12 weeks ago

About 3 feet away from the fence

It would be competing with baseball (rounders) which Americans will mistakenly see as a similar but better sport.

It wasn't very long ago that cricket was considered the national sport of many countries in the nearby West Indies, but even there it's been overtaken by athletics and football, and even other American sports like basketball and baseball (the latter already established in places like Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico) are starting to make inroads into countries which were previously cricket strongholds.

Reading

Kinda like masochists

Fair. I'm not super tribal. Like, I feel slightly pleased when Australia does well, but it's a passing thing."

You do know that the cricketing world hates Australia's team. They have a reputation

Manchester (she/her)

Kinda like masochists

Fair. I'm not super tribal. Like, I feel slightly pleased when Australia does well, but it's a passing thing.

You do know that the cricketing world hates Australia's team. They have a reputation "

I'm Australian. I haven't done anything wrong. I support nearly silently.

If people want to feel badly about me because of an accident of birth and because of the behaviour of others born in the same place, that's on them.

By *allerthanaverage79Man 12 weeks ago

Ayrshire

Yanks will never take to it- they already have boring baseball, don't want posh rounders!

By *a LunaWoman 12 weeks ago

South

I enjoy listening to cricket. It’s a bit like snooker in that if you close your eyes and just listen it’s sooooo relaxing.

Reading

Kinda like masochists

You do know that the cricketing world hates Australia's team. They have a reputation

If people want to feel badly about me because of an accident of birth and because of the behaviour of others born in the same place, that's on them."

We don't feel the same about all Australians, the Aussie cricket team has a reputation for sledging, casual racism and generally unpleasant behaviour.

Manchester (she/her)

Kinda like masochists

If people want to feel badly about me because of an accident of birth and because of the behaviour of others born in the same place, that's on them.

We don't feel the same about all Australians, the Aussie cricket team has a reputation for sledging, casual racism and generally unpleasant behaviour."

Then why bring it up?

Tin town

Kinda like masochists

We don't feel the same about all Australians, the Aussie cricket team has a reputation for sledging, casual racism and generally unpleasant behaviour."

That's a pretty old trope. Pat Cummins has turned that all around.

Manchester (she/her)

Kinda like masochists

We don't feel the same about all Australians, the Aussie cricket team has a reputation for sledging, casual racism and generally unpleasant behaviour.

That's a pretty old trope. Pat Cummins has turned that all around. "

I've got no idea. I don't pay that close attention. I enjoy the sport and get a slight warm fuzzy feeling if Australia does well.

And the worst thing I've ever done in the context of being a spectator is clapping when the away team saved a four. Because it was well played. How dare I.

By *hrill CollinsMan 12 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

"Once tried explaining cricket to a couple of American colleagues. They struggled with the fact a game could last 5 days an still be a draw........."

it's simple to explain ...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have got out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Tin town

Kinda like masochists

I've got no idea. I don't pay that close attention. I enjoy the sport and get a slight warm fuzzy feeling if Australia does well.

And the worst thing I've ever done in the context of being a spectator is clapping when the away team saved a four. Because it was well played. How dare I."

A day out at the cricket is cheap in comparison too. Tv cricket Sadly hidden behind a pay wall now so kids are losing interest.

Manchester (she/her)

"Once tried explaining cricket to a couple of American colleagues. They struggled with the fact a game could last 5 days an still be a draw.........

it's simple to explain ...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have got out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWpbtLIxYBk (Cricket Explained for Baseball Fans)

By *xstaceyxxTV/TS 12 weeks ago

Derbyshire.

Let's watch grass grow.

Reading

Kinda like masochists

And the worst thing I've ever done in the context of being a spectator is clapping when the away team saved a four. Because it was well played. How dare I.

A day out at the cricket is cheap in comparison too. Tv cricket Sadly hidden behind a pay wall now so kids are losing interest. "

It's a shadow of itself now due to the paywall. The younger generation who grew up with a pay wall are not interested in cricket, even the Asian ones

T20 is, I am afraid to say, not cricket. It’s a two hour thrash to appease the great unwashed!

OK.

My background in cricket comes from my family's working class regional background, so you'll have to excuse me for not agreeing with you. I really despise elitism."

Was your father a tool maker per chance. We can all play the working class card when needs be and elitism is borne from the working classes!

Manchester (she/her)

OK.

My background in cricket comes from my family's working class regional background, so you'll have to excuse me for not agreeing with you. I really despise elitism.

Was your father a tool maker per chance. We can all play the working class card when needs be and elitism is borne from the working classes!"

So it's not elitist to say that you should preserve a sport from "the great unwashed"? Jesus wept.

"Elitism is borne from the working classes"? That's incoherent. Kids, this is why you should stay in school.

By *oeBeansMan 12 weeks ago

Derby

I think American sports are too ingrained in their culture for it to properly take off in America even though they would have the infrastructure to support and afford taking it seriously. The way I see it is off football hasn't made it big over there, cricket has no chance!

Reading

Surely most of the cricket greats came from the great unwashed, I mean how many elite types were actually good cricketers.

I can't think of a single one in the last 30 years, can you name any?

Manchester (she/her)

"Surely most of the cricket greats came from the great unwashed, I mean how many elite types were actually good cricketers.

I can't think of a single one in the last 30 years, can you name any?"

I've legitimately got no idea. I just think the phrase and the sentiment behind it is disgusting.

OK.

Was your father a tool maker per chance. We can all play the working class card when needs be and elitism is borne from the working classes!

So it's not elitist to say that you should preserve a sport from "the great unwashed"? Jesus wept.

"Elitism is borne from the working classes"? That's incoherent. Kids, this is why you should stay in school."

Did Jesus really weep?

Did I say a sport should be preserved?

Have you read Freddie Engels? I fear not.

Reading

Cricket historically wasn't as elite as say golf or tennis.

As a team sport they needed the great unwashed to do the mundane hard slog.

Tho I have to say that the paywall in the UK has destroyed interest in the sport. Very short term thinking by the administrators

Manchester (she/her)

OK.

"Elitism is borne from the working classes"? That's incoherent. Kids, this is why you should stay in school.

Did Jesus really weep?

Have you read Freddie Engels? I fear not."

Exactly what does political theory - or references to the Prime Minister, or denigration of my figure of speech - have to do with cricket, exactly?

You think T20 isn't real cricket. I don't. That's really all that's going on here.

Manchester (she/her)

"Cricket historically wasn't as elite as say golf or tennis.

Tho I have to say that the paywall in the UK has destroyed interest in the sport. Very short term thinking by the administrators"

I mostly came to enjoy it by playing in the backyard, etc

Reading

Tho I have to say that the paywall in the UK has destroyed interest in the sport. Very short term thinking by the administrators

I mostly came to enjoy it by playing in the backyard, etc"

Didn't we all, I read the autobiography of Javed Miandad, apparently he was so poor they couldn't afford batting pads so he became an expert at wicket keeping and batting in order not to be hurt. When needs must

OK.

Did Jesus really weep?

Exactly what does political theory - or references to the Prime Minister, or denigration of my figure of speech - have to do with cricket, exactly?

You think T20 isn't real cricket. I don't. That's really all that's going on here."

T20 is just a facet of society. The quick fix akin to a Mac Donald’s feasting of mundane needs.

Manchester (she/her)

Didn't we all, I read the autobiography of Javed Miandad, apparently he was so poor they couldn't afford batting pads so he became an expert at wicket keeping and batting in order not to be hurt. When needs must"

Veggie patch was the great cover drive shot if Dad didn't catch us. Over the fence is six and out. Kitchen window is out and run for your lives

Manchester (she/her)

OK.

Did Jesus really weep?

You think T20 isn't real cricket. I don't. That's really all that's going on here.

T20 is just a facet of society. The quick fix akin to a Mac Donald’s feasting of mundane needs."

There's no need to be so wildly unpleasant about your opinions, though.

Reading

OK.

Did Jesus really weep?

T20 is just a facet of society. The quick fix akin to a Mac Donald’s feasting of mundane needs."

I saw a McDonald's add today which read "good food for you" the word good had been graffiti'd over with "crap"

By *eavenNhellCouple 12 weeks ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Do we need a world series of cricket?"

ah baseball rounders with a bigger bat

Reading

Didn't we all, I read the autobiography of Javed Miandad, apparently he was so poor they couldn't afford batting pads so he became an expert at wicket keeping and batting in order not to be hurt. When needs must

Veggie patch was the great cover drive shot if Dad didn't catch us. Over the fence is six and out. Kitchen window is out and run for your lives "

Any window was a run for it before we get into trouble.

I played a lot at school with friends. What did you use for a ball a full cricket ball or tennis ball?

Didn't we all, I read the autobiography of Javed Miandad, apparently he was so poor they couldn't afford batting pads so he became an expert at wicket keeping and batting in order not to be hurt. When needs must"

And fast cricket allied with a kfc is what the conglomerates want the great unwashed to desire!

Dancing idiots on the boundaries, idiot musical interludes power plays and teams sponsored by crisp companies and fast food outlets. Is that cricket?

By *ou only live onceMan 12 weeks ago

London

"Surely most of the cricket greats came from the great unwashed, I mean how many elite types were actually good cricketers.

The stats really don't bare that out, certainly not for the England cricket team. "Elite" is obviously subjective, but if you use private schooling as one measure (and there are private schools and there are private schools, obviously), privately educated men have been heavily over represented in the England cricket team for decades.

Access to cricket in the state system is part of this of course and not blaming the players - they don't choose their schools! There was a whole report on it a couple of years ago.

OK.

Did Jesus really weep?

T20 is just a facet of society. The quick fix akin to a Mac Donald’s feasting of mundane needs.

There's no need to be so wildly unpleasant about your opinions, though."

How have I been unpleasant?

Manchester (she/her)

Veggie patch was the great cover drive shot if Dad didn't catch us. Over the fence is six and out. Kitchen window is out and run for your lives

I played a lot at school with friends. What did you use for a ball a full cricket ball or tennis ball?"

Tennis ball when I was really little, which is common in Kanga cricket in Australia (for really little kids). Then composite around the end of primary school, real shortly thereafter.

Reading

The stats really don't bare that out, certainly not for the England cricket team. "Elite" is obviously subjective, but if you use private schooling as one measure (and there are private schools and there are private schools, obviously), privately educated men have been heavily over represented in the England cricket team for decades.

Access to cricket in the state system is part of this of course and not blaming the players - they don't choose their schools! There was a whole report on it a couple of years ago."

It's true probably at the club level, I can only think of David Gower and maybe Alastair Campbell who in recent years may have come from such a background. Most of the other England greats were commoners like Fred Truman, Botham, or imports from south Africa like Allan lamb, robin smith, or imports from elsewhere, Devon Malcolm etc.

London

And fast cricket allied with a kfc is what the conglomerates want the great unwashed to desire!

Dancing idiots on the boundaries, idiot musical interludes power plays and teams sponsored by crisp companies and fast food outlets. Is that cricket?"

It's a form of cricket, yes. And surely better to try and attract new fans to the game than let it wither on the vine with barely anyone watching? Have you seen the attendance figures for the county championship vs the short forms?

Reading

I played a lot at school with friends. What did you use for a ball a full cricket ball or tennis ball?

Tennis ball when I was really little, which is common in Kanga cricket in Australia (for really little kids). Then composite around the end of primary school, real shortly thereafter."

In the Asian countries the taped up tennis ball is very common.

Is cricket still available to watch for free on TV in Australia? Or do you have to pay?

Manchester (she/her)

Tennis ball when I was really little, which is common in Kanga cricket in Australia (for really little kids). Then composite around the end of primary school, real shortly thereafter.

In the Asian countries the taped up tennis ball is very common.

Is cricket still available to watch for free on TV in Australia? Or do you have to pay?"

I've not lived in Australia for over a decade, so I can't tell you what it's like now, but it used to be that all tests were free to air (and radio - I enjoy dropping in and out of radio coverage for tests) as well as interstate one day. I believe the Big Bash (T20) was initially free to air as well, or at least parts of it.

Dancing idiots on the boundaries, idiot musical interludes power plays and teams sponsored by crisp companies and fast food outlets. Is that cricket?

It's a form of cricket, yes. And surely better to try and attract new fans to the game than let it wither on the vine with barely anyone watching? Have you seen the attendance figures for the county championship vs the short forms?"

I am a member at LCC and without those supporting county cricket then the test circuit would die. That’s my point white ball cricket is just a quick fix designed by the marketeers to appease the great unwashed. That might offend the more histrionic fabsters who find my opinion unpleasant but I really don’t care. And I played with a corky, joe pads helmet or gloves.

London

Access to cricket in the state system is part of this of course and not blaming the players - they don't choose their schools! There was a whole report on it a couple of years ago.

It's true probably at the club level, I can only think of David Gower and maybe Alastair Campbell who in recent years may have come from such a background. Most of the other England greats were commoners like Fred Truman, Botham, or imports from south Africa like Allan lamb, robin smith, or imports from elsewhere, Devon Malcolm etc."

They're just the 2 you can think of. A quick Google will tell you it's been much higher than that. No skin off my nose, but an article this year says 57% of the players used this year went to private school. Given only about 7% of the population do, that's a big over representation.

It's true probably at the club level, I can only think of David Gower and maybe Alastair Campbell who in recent years may have come from such a background. Most of the other England greats were commoners like Fred Truman, Botham, or imports from south Africa like Allan lamb, robin smith, or imports from elsewhere, Devon Malcolm etc.

They're just the 2 you can think of. A quick Google will tell you it's been much higher than that. No skin off my nose, but an article this year says 57% of the players used this year went to private school. Given only about 7% of the population do, that's a big over representation."

You are really over thinking this.

By *tephanjMan 12 weeks ago

Kettering

Test cricket is too long and to me gets boring. I now prefer the shorter games, one day or twenty twenty.

London

It's a form of cricket, yes. And surely better to try and attract new fans to the game than let it wither on the vine with barely anyone watching? Have you seen the attendance figures for the county championship vs the short forms?

I am a member at LCC and without those supporting county cricket then the test circuit would die. That’s my point white ball cricket is just a quick fix designed by the marketeers to appease the great unwashed. That might offend the more histrionic fabsters who find my opinion unpleasant but I really don’t care. And I played with a corky, joe pads helmet or gloves. "

I don't get your point. So you don't "appease the great unwashed" - aka, broaden the game's appeal - and let it die off but keep the purists happy? Surely there's room for both!

"Test cricket is too long and to me gets boring. I now prefer the shorter games, one day or twenty twenty. "

I am hesitant to say but I rest my case. I don’t like cricket!

London

They're just the 2 you can think of. A quick Google will tell you it's been much higher than that. No skin off my nose, but an article this year says 57% of the players used this year went to private school. Given only about 7% of the population do, that's a big over representation.

You are really over thinking this."

I'm not. I'm correcting a factual question. I don't care what school people went to (whisper it, but I might be one of the 7%), but if you can't see a lack of broad representation is an issue then that's on you. Not to mention not delving into the widest possible talent pool!

I am a member at LCC and without those supporting county cricket then the test circuit would die. That’s my point white ball cricket is just a quick fix designed by the marketeers to appease the great unwashed. That might offend the more histrionic fabsters who find my opinion unpleasant but I really don’t care. And I played with a corky, joe pads helmet or gloves.

I don't get your point. So you don't "appease the great unwashed" - aka, broaden the game's appeal - and let it die off but keep the purists happy? Surely there's room for both!"

It’s my opinion.........I have no desire to watch nonsense cricket as it’s just baseball with bowlers that run!

London

I don't get your point. So you don't "appease the great unwashed" - aka, broaden the game's appeal - and let it die off but keep the purists happy? Surely there's room for both!

It’s my opinion.........I have no desire to watch nonsense cricket as it’s just baseball with bowlers that run!"

Cool. Don't watch then, and leave it to those that like it. Easy.

It’s my opinion.........I have no desire to watch nonsense cricket as it’s just baseball with bowlers that run!

Cool. Don't watch then, and leave it to those that like it. Easy."

Actually I don’t!

By *ackformore100Man 11 weeks ago

Tin town

Stuart broad?

Tin town

Tho I have to say that the paywall in the UK has destroyed interest in the sport. Very short term thinking by the administrators"

Any sport it seems with rules that are adhered to and values that are appreciated by supporters is now labelled by the cheap and inaccurate trope elitism. Go visit the village cricket clubs around Lancashire and Yorkshire and see who is playing cricket. Of all the sports cricket is the least elite. What seems to trouble some people is that many (not all) elite players have spent more time having better coaching. This is true of all sports. But if people really want to make it they can. There's inspiring individuals to be found in all sports.

By *eliz NelsonMan 11 weeks ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

"I love it.

Not sure how much was spent promoting the game in USA, but I know tv coverage was very limited, apparently only on some specialist sports sites, not sure they will know the impact for a wile

By *cLovin2Man 11 weeks ago

Reading

They're just the 2 you can think of. A quick Google will tell you it's been much higher than that. No skin off my nose, but an article this year says 57% of the players used this year went to private school. Given only about 7% of the population do, that's a big over representation."

Maybe, it does sound like an issue.

By *eliz NelsonMan 11 weeks ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

Maybe, it does sound like an issue."

I believe many of the West Indies team also go to private schools

By *oeBeansMan 11 weeks ago

Derby

Stuart broad? "

Zak Crawley

Tin town

Stuart broad?

Zak Crawley"

Andrew strauss

» Add a new message to this topic