FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Workshy?

Workshy?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man 12 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Reports that about a quarter of people of working age do not have a job which is supposedly 11 million people and 1.5 people are unemployed in the sense that they are unable to find a job. Of course the State must look after those that cannot work for health or disability reasons but we keep getting told that crops are rotting in the fields and there is work out there. Tom believes that those who choose not to work are fine if they are not on benefits. The other buggers should be cut off without a penny or relocated to pick cabages in Kings Lynn or whatever else needs doing on the land. Rant Over

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *r John WickMan 12 weeks ago

The Continental

I choose not to work, and don’t claim anything from the state.

Why?

Because I prefer to enjoy the time raising my daughter to high school age, and it’s actually cheaper for me not to work.

The cost of childcare/afterschool clubs etc would munch its way through a weekly wage, just seems pointless to me.

By *icecouple561Couple 12 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

25%

How many of those are unpaid carers, unfit medically, in full time education etc?

By *ickyKlungespeareMan 12 weeks ago

St Leonards

Careful Tom - once we're all busy working the fields or doing National Service, we'll have less leisure time for reading your posts.

That which you wish shall reduce your audience.

By *orthernJayMan 12 weeks ago

Canary Wharf

The only people who are unemployed and claiming benefits in the UK are work shy scroungers living off the toil of others; I’d argue a very large percentage of those so called “unfit” to work are also lazy bastards!

Of course, there are those who simply cannot work due to ill health and I also appreciate the argument that not working is financially superior to working for some; those are different debates.

That said, the UK had been chronically underemployed for years, even before Brexit, there’s plenty of work for those who want it!

It’s the single biggest driver to elicit the most change across the nation, the UK is one of a handful of Western nations that proactively pay people to do fuck all; we all know someone who’s playing the system and taking us all for fools!

In the Eastern world, if you don’t work, you don’t eat; it’s that simple!

UK benefits have needed scrapping and rebuilding for a generation, certainly since the late 80’s.

Thanks for the morning rant Tom #expletives

By *ophieslutTV/TS 12 weeks ago

Central

"The only people who are unemployed and claiming benefits in the UK are work shy scroungers living off the toil of others; I’d argue a very large percentage of those so called “unfit” to work are also lazy bastards!

Of course, there are those who simply cannot work due to ill health and I also appreciate the argument that not working is financially superior to working for some; those are different debates.

That said, the UK had been chronically underemployed for years, even before Brexit, there’s plenty of work for those who want it!

It’s the single biggest driver to elicit the most change across the nation, the UK is one of a handful of Western nations that proactively pay people to do fuck all; we all know someone who’s playing the system and taking us all for fools!

UK benefits have needed scrapping and rebuilding for a generation, certainly since the late 80’s.

Thanks for the morning rant Tom #expletives "

Chelmsford

"25%

How many of those are unpaid carers, unfit medically, in full time education etc?"

Fair comment. This is what Tom likes to encourage. Honest debate and input from those on the ground

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS 12 weeks ago

chichester

"The only people who are unemployed and claiming benefits in the UK are work shy scroungers living off the toil of others; I’d argue a very large percentage of those so called “unfit” to work are also lazy bastards!

Don’t feel better now after getting that built up pressure off thus morning

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't know anyone who's playing the system and not working.

I do know many people who are working and actively avoiding paying tax though

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS 12 weeks ago

chichester

Thanks for the morning rant Tom #expletives

I don't know anyone who's playing the system and not working.

I do know many people who are working and actively avoiding paying tax though"

Everyone pays in regardless. Just existing and buying goods is still making people pay into system just not equally

Chelmsford

And don't get Tom started on those bastard water companies polluting our rivers and seas and leaks everywhere and paying shareholders a pretty penny before hiking prices by 20 odd % over the next five years..

By *batMan 12 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

I still haven’t seen any new dental practices or pharmacies opened by EDL members, since Brexit stopped Johnny Foreigner knicking all our jobs!

Gbat

By *eliz NelsonMan 12 weeks ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

Tom? Just wondering....what's your opinion on those bastard water companies polluting our rivers and seas?...then hiking prices?

By *hawn ScottMan 12 weeks ago

london Brixton

"Reports that about a quarter of people of working age do not have a job which is supposedly 11 million people and 1.5 people are unemployed in the sense that they are unable to find a job. Of course the State must look after those that cannot work for health or disability reasons but we keep getting told that crops are rotting in the fields and there is work out there. Tom believes that those who choose not to work are fine if they are not on benefits. The other buggers should be cut off without a penny or relocated to pick cabages in Kings Lynn or whatever else needs doing on the land. Rant Over"

Well there lies part of the problem, location. For years Eastern Europeans were picking crops and had accommodation on the farm. Guessing a lot of brits wouldn't want that and getting transport to a rural area every day would be a problem. As for the work itself, I'm from a farming town and when I was 13 and 14 spent the summer holidays picking potatoes.

You got paid pretty well cash in hand but it was hard back breaking work! If I was unemployed now after having a broken back, broken neck and constant pain in my right knee I wouldn't survive a day despite looking perfectly healthy on the outside

By *otSoPetiteMortWoman 12 weeks ago

Hertfordshire

"25%

How many of those are unpaid carers, unfit medically, in full time education etc?"

I was about to say what does that percentage include.

I am a full-time Carer for my severely disabled child who needs 24hr care. I sleep when he is at school as I care for him overnight.

On paper though, I get put in the "Unemployed" box.

By *glyBettyTV/TS 12 weeks ago

About 3 feet away from the fence

I genuinely not believe it can be 25%

With the increase in utility bills, I don't how anyone who isn't already wealthy can afford NOT to work.

By *uriousscouserWoman 12 weeks ago

Wirral

"I genuinely not believe it can be 25%

With the increase in utility bills, I don't how anyone who isn't already wealthy can afford NOT to work."

Only 1.5 people are unemployed (perhaps the 0.5 is someone part time).

The other 10,999,998.5 people must be of independent means.

By *ansoffateMan 12 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Labour is the poor man’s property, from which all protection is withheld. Has not the working man as much right to preserve and protect his labour as the rich man has his capital? - George Loveless

He was one of those undesirables that got transported to Oz Tom. That led to the formation of the union movement and him being immortalised as one of the Tolpuddle Martyrs.

Fair wages and conditions should be the incentive to work; not the desperation to have to accept whatever is offered to you.

By *ulieAndBeefCouple 12 weeks ago

Manchester-ish

I don't expect there's many people on here who aren't a bad car accident or unfortunate illness away from being a 'workshy scrounger'

The system is there for all of us to provide support when needed. The number of people playing the system is tiny compared to the number of people who would like to work but,for one reason or another can't. People who are forced to live in poverty to appease those who think that disability or illness is a choice and because something doesn't direct benefit them, then it is waste of money.

B

By *atnip make me purrWoman 12 weeks ago

Reading

"25%

How many of those are unpaid carers, unfit medically, in full time education etc?

Fair comment. This is what Tom likes to encourage. Honest debate and input from those on the ground"

Where are you then if not on the ground?

By *929Man 12 weeks ago

newcastle

There’s families here where every generation never worked, at age 40 I know a few people I went to school with that haven’t done a years worth of graft if added it all together.

Trouble is distinguishing between the lazy fucking bums and those who are genuine. Often those that are genuine are the ones targeted by the system while others are left alone, I know one fella had part of his brain removed due to a tumour and struggles with his balance and other things he was actually signed off the sick for a period and forced to look for a job had to fight tooth and nail to get back on the sick yet most of the bums I mentioned above are left alone

I wouldn’t even know where to start if was in that situation, when I had my heart attack in 2022 I discharged myself early and went back to work the next day as never had the option of being laid up being self employed

By (user no longer on site) 12 weeks ago

I choose not to work.

Other people make me work though.

I think there's so many people claiming benefits that are just too dam lazy to actually work. People these days think the world owes them something, it doesn't. Get off your arse and work.

*Unless you are actually ill or unable to work then, you know, carry on.

london Brixton

I have an uncle that has never had a proper job in his life. He has been on benefits and done a window cleaning round cash in hand.

His soon does exactly the same. Both my uncle and my aunt know every trick in the book to work the system. They live in NI which doesn't have UC, housing benefit cap etc so they are a lot more generous over there

Forum Mod

East Sussex

What's the criteria for claiming benefits if you're out of work?

london Brixton

"What's the criteria for claiming benefits if you're out of work?"

Guess each case is different??? My first job was only for 2 years and after it finished I was then on the dole (before JSA) it was a horrible degrading experience. You had to queue outside waiting for it to open at 9am. Being from a small town if you saw someone you knew you were embarrassed to speak to them.

You cashed your "giro" in the post office again feeling embarrassed

After 5 months they told me that when I hit 6 months I would have to go out and clear up rubbish from parks etc and for that I would get an extra £10 a week plus travel and lunch expenses.

Don't know how others dodged this?? Luckily I got a job the next week and signed off.

That's the only experience I have personally but thus was 1996!

By *glyBettyTV/TS 12 weeks ago

About 3 feet away from the fence

"What's the criteria for claiming benefits if you're out of work?"

Most people claiming benefits are actually IN work. I don't think enough people realize this....

By *inky_couple2020Couple 12 weeks ago

North West

"I don't expect there's many people on here who aren't a bad car accident or unfortunate illness away from being a 'workshy scrounger'

The system is there for all of us to provide support when needed. The number of people playing the system is tiny compared to the number of people who would like to work but,for one reason or another can't. People who are forced to live in poverty to appease those who think that disability or illness is a choice and because something doesn't direct benefit them, then it is waste of money.

B"

The number of complacent people who think disability is something that happens to other people, is simply wild. Disability can happen to anyone, at any time. And guess what? There's next to fuck all help and support if you need accessible housing, mobility aids, care in the home, support to access any kind of employment or other services. "Cash" benefits go nowhere near enabling it disabled person to exist (not LIVE) with all the right things they need. Anyone who thinks acquiring disability is tantamount to a windfall payment is just deluded.

£4500 for a manual wheelchair, anyone?

£1500 for a hoist to be installed in the boot of my car for said wheelchair

Mortgage up from £650 a month to £1500 to have an open plan, fairly wheelchair accessible bungalow

Zero help, aid or support from the State with ANY of the above, btw. Not a sausage. All paid for by me containing to crucify myself by working FT. If I were completely unable to work or only able to work limited hours, we'd not be able to afford the things that make my life barely livable, i.e. an accessible home and the right mobility aids.

By *4bimMan 12 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

i hear a lot of people say attitude towards work is not the same now as it was back then.

maybe true, there were world wars so many had to turn a hand to building things all for the war effort while the men were away women keep factories going etc.

jobs like coal mining must seem crazy to a generation that sees working at a pc as a living.

i think all generations have had lazy people. maybe today things like that are highlighted more by social media, stereotyping etc.

one of the sectors im involved in the skilled workforce are in their 60s and 70s.they craft with their hands and it is difficult to recruit younger people into it because it is using tools and machinery. but even at the age of 18 someone can earn past £40k for a 39 hour week with every weekend off and at least earn another 10 possibly 20k on overtime. promotion is also there if you show the right ability.

maybe there are higher earning cleaner jobs which are more attractive like being an internet gamer which todays generation all aspire to be or talking about football on youtube.

recruiting isnt easy because you dont really know what type of worker you have until they have been with you a while.

they want it or they dont. not workshy, just not for them right now.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"What's the criteria for claiming benefits if you're out of work?

Guess each case is different??? My first job was only for 2 years and after it finished I was then on the dole (before JSA) it was a horrible degrading experience. You had to queue outside waiting for it to open at 9am. Being from a small town if you saw someone you knew you were embarrassed to speak to them.

After 5 months they told me that when I hit 6 months I would have to go out and clear up rubbish from parks etc and for that I would get an extra £10 a week plus travel and lunch expenses.

Don't know how others dodged this?? Luckily I got a job the next week and signed off.

That's the only experience I have personally but thus was 1996!"

I don't know how people played the system then or now. I know a minority do but it seems the people who claim we're a nation of work shy layabouts can't answer my question.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Most people claiming benefits are actually IN work. I don't think enough people realize this...."

That's true.

I'm off to Google now to claim benefits of I'm out of work...

Canary Wharf

"I don't expect there's many people on here who aren't a bad car accident or unfortunate illness away from being a 'workshy scrounger'

B

The number of complacent people who think disability is something that happens to other people, is simply wild. Disability can happen to anyone, at any time. And guess what? There's next to fuck all help and support if you need accessible housing, mobility aids, care in the home, support to access any kind of employment or other services. "Cash" benefits go nowhere near enabling it disabled person to exist (not LIVE) with all the right things they need. Anyone who thinks acquiring disability is tantamount to a windfall payment is just deluded.

Mortgage up from £650 a month to £1500 to have an open plan, fairly wheelchair accessible bungalow

Zero help, aid or support from the State with ANY of the above, btw. Not a sausage. All paid for by me containing to crucify myself by working FT. If I were completely unable to work or only able to work limited hours, we'd not be able to afford the things that make my life barely livable, i.e. an accessible home and the right mobility aids. "

I’m genuinely asking and not judging……

Are you suggesting it’s not as easy as one would think to obtain supportive benefits, or are you saying it’s unfair, and the system should be offering you the support needed?

BTW, I’m not suggesting as a society we shouldn’t take care of those less fortune, because we absolutely should; the issue is, far too many people are work-shy and expect the state to support them; “because I deserve it”

london Brixton

As my parents always said if you want something all you need is hard work.

Not really true anymore is it? The post war industry revolution is now history. The days when you could work in a factory, buy a house and the wife could stay at home to raise the children are gone.

Zero hour contracts, stuck on minium wage. For the young people of today buying a house is a fantasy, even renting a room in a shared house is barely affordable.

Maybe that's why they don't have the same work pride.

When I landed a job with a global IT company in 1999, I just applied, sat an interview and got the job. It was desktop support but worked my way up to senior infrastructure engineer.

The same entry job today requires a degree or Microsoft certification before being considered for interview. Which I don't have.

By *asycouple1971Couple 12 weeks ago

midlands

Not really fond of cabbage.

By *ealMissShadyWoman 12 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

Anyone who can work should work and those that can't should be supported

My work colleague is a single Mum, currently switching from income support where she can work 16 hours a week without it affecting her benefits to Universal Credit, they've told her she has to get a full time job. She can't increase her hours at work as she wants to work 9-3 term time. Her daughter has epilepsy so she doesn't want to rely on clubs and childcare, she doesn't have family....Plus childcare is expensive.

She suffers anxiety and been with us for 20 years....She's not denying she needs to work full time, but needs support to help her while she figures it all out. And on top of that she now has to wait 6 weeks for her money

North West

B

Zero help, aid or support from the State with ANY of the above, btw. Not a sausage. All paid for by me containing to crucify myself by working FT. If I were completely unable to work or only able to work limited hours, we'd not be able to afford the things that make my life barely livable, i.e. an accessible home and the right mobility aids.

I’m genuinely asking and not judging……

Are you suggesting it’s not as easy as one would think to obtain supportive benefits, or are you saying it’s unfair, and the system should be offering you the support needed?

BTW, I’m not suggesting as a society we shouldn’t take care of those less fortune, because we absolutely should; the issue is, far too many people are work-shy and expect the state to support them; “because I deserve it” "

"Less fortunate" - less of that, please. I'm referring to people with disabilities.

I'm suggesting a) it's not worth the effort to "fake" disability because the "support" or benefits on offer are not handed out willy nilly and in any case, are insufficient to provide a proper life. They are, in many cases, insufficient to survive.

b) That too many people sit and judge disabled people who cannot work or who can only work limited hours (topped up with benefits) and that this judgement comes from a smug or stupid position of "I'm not disabled, they're inferior to me".

c) That people who are currently smug and thinking "it's not me" have a MASSIVE shock coming if they do acquire disability, because because disabled is incredibly expensive and they will find out that the System is quite happy to leave them destitute. It's quite happy to leave them without what they need, e.g. mobility aids and quite happy for you to suffer.

Why should acquiring disability mean that I have to pay thousands of pounds for ESSENTIAL items? My wheelchair is my legs. Without it, I can't leave the house, I can't work, I can't do anything. But I've had to pay for it myself.

Before I acquired my disability, we lived in a 3 bed house, mortgage £600-700 a month (interest rate dependent). I have always worked FT and earn a lot more than my husband does. Upon acquiring my disability as a consequence of pregnancy, the 3 bed house with stairs was completely unsuitable but because we worked, we did not qualify for a single penny to adapt the house, e.g. put in stairlifts, widen doorways. The amount required to properly adapt the house for me was around £60-70k, which we could not afford. Instead, we've uprooted the entire family simply because I'm now disabled. We've moved to somewhere that's wholly inferior for Mr KC, who relies on public transport and has to travel longer distances to work. It's inferior for our son, who also relies on public transport and it's further to school for our daughter. But it's the only remotely accessible bungalow we could find. Our financial commitments have almost doubled to afford it (bungalows ain't cheap).

The bungalow had one large step at the front, so needed adapting with a ramp. The local authority took over 10 months to come and assess my needs, despite informing them that we'd moved on the same day we arrived. The only reason I have an entry ramp to my house is someone from Fab offered to build one, for free. That person is the single kindest and most generous person and if they're reading, thank you again

I still work FT, I have no choice. My workplace is not fully adapted despite years of arguing so I have to deal with doors and all sorts that are seriously painful and cause me ongoing injury. I'm awaiting surgery for two different things at the moment, one of which is exacerbated by opening the doors at work. When I'm "off sick" for these planned surgeries that relate to my disability, I am unlikely to be paid for all the time so I will again lose out financially.

If I could reduce my hours to protect my health, I would do that now, but I can't. The System means I either continue to work FT and screw my health further, or risk dropping my family into destitution. We cannot afford to live in this reasonably accessible bungalow without my income and the Council ain't going to give us a wheelchair accessible 3 bed bungalow "on the social" either.

What is your view of supporting disabled people financially? Is it acceptable that living as a disabled person is massively more expensive than living as a non-disabled person?

By *andyfloss2000Woman 12 weeks ago

ashford

Yes have known a few of those playing the system over the years! Totally unfair! But they get away with it ! And the next generation often follows suit! X

Never claimed a penny from the state and have just written a large cheque to HMRC before the 31st July.

If I earn it I have to pay the tax on it and freely accept that principle. Just wish my taxes were spent on the good of the nation and spent effectively and efficiently.

london Brixton

As mentioned above my uncle and cousin know every trick in the book to get ever penny from the system.

Everyone else I've known on benefits is miserable. Unfortunately a lot are stuck in the benefits trap. They work two days a week and would love to work full time but would be financially worse off. Shouldn't be like that!

Back to my cousin again, when he can't be bothered to clean windows he spends his days drinking cheap cider and playing on his PlayStation. He is 48 and has never left the country, never had a holiday or any experience of life outside his council estate. So if that's all he wants out of life and can get by well that's a sad existence.

I'd rather work and live a fulfilling life.

Canary Wharf

"As mentioned above my uncle and cousin know every trick in the book to get ever penny from the system.

Everyone else I've known on benefits is miserable. Unfortunately a lot are stuck in the benefits trap. They work two days a week and would love to work full time but would be financially worse off. Shouldn't be like that!

Back to my cousin again, when he can't be bothered to clean windows he spends his days drinking cheap cider and playing on his PlayStation. He is 48 and has never left the country, never had a holiday or any experience of life outside his council estate. So if that's all he wants out of life and can get by well that's a sad existence.

"

This is a key point, it’s a lifestyle choice for some and that option should simply not be available or provided by society!

By *iker JackMan 12 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

"As mentioned above my uncle and cousin know every trick in the book to get ever penny from the system.

"

A sad existence by your standards

Personal standards are just that. Personal to the person

By *uri00620Woman 12 weeks ago

Croydon

That's the only experience I have personally but thus was 1996!"

Criteria is variable. I work and am on UC, bc of childcare costs.

I work in education. Some children are from generations of families that have never worked and they have zero aspiration to either. I think there are pockets of people who fall out of the system.

Others seems really scrutinized which I guess is due to lack of funding to oversee such things. It appears if you have worked previously then for whatever reason decide not to (not bc of ill health, caring etc) the likelihood is it'll be difficult to claim if you can work but choosing not to.

Those who have never worked seem to fall through gaping big cracks.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I work in education. Some children are from generations of families that have never worked and they have zero aspiration to either. I think there are pockets of people who fall out of the system.

Others seems really scrutinized which I guess is due to lack of funding to oversee such things. It appears if you have worked previously then for whatever reason decide not to (not bc of ill health, caring etc) the likelihood is it'll be difficult to claim if you can work but choosing not to.

Those who have never worked seem to fall through gaping big cracks. "

I wondered about that. Anyone I know (including ourselves) who has ever claimed JSA has previously worked. I genuinely can't see how anybody can cheat the system, it was hard enough to get the basic entitlement. When I read about generations of families who have never worked I wonder how they do it.

Also how many people who have rarely worked live in areas where the main industries have been all but destroyed?

By *uri00620Woman 12 weeks ago

Croydon

I wondered about that. Anyone I know (including ourselves) who has ever claimed JSA has previously worked. I genuinely can't see how anybody can cheat the system, it was hard enough to get the basic entitlement. When I read about generations of families who have never worked I wonder how they do it.

Also how many people who have rarely worked live in areas where the main industries have been all but destroyed?"

Yes, I found this in areas I worked in had this problem. Harwich, Grimsby, Hull, Scunthorpe. Those areas have no doubt skewed my views on this. Certainly in those areas the percentage of those claiming and had never worked was high. Where I am now I can't say it's the same.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Also how many people who have rarely worked live in areas where the main industries have been all but destroyed?

Yes, I found this in areas I worked in had this problem. Harwich, Grimsby, Hull, Scunthorpe. Those areas have no doubt skewed my views on this. Certainly in those areas the percentage of those claiming and had never worked was high. Where I am now I can't say it's the same."

It's interesting to read the opinions of someone with direct knowledge.

Canary Wharf

"I’m genuinely asking and not judging"

"What is your view of supporting disabled people financially? Is it acceptable that living as a disabled person is massively more expensive than living as a non-disabled person? "

I’ve PM’d you

We’re violently agreeing here, I’m suggesting there’s too many people who’d much rather live off the state than work; and the system allows them to do so, whether that’s deliberately (via poor execution of policy) or by default (because the policy is bollocks)

Such people tend to have a PhD in UK benefits, they know all the tricks to make the system work for them!

As for people with disabilities, of course it’s unacceptable that it costs more to live in the UK than a none-disabled person.

I’d proffer this is a direct result of those cheating society and claiming benefits when they shouldn’t; vis-a-vis those who actively avoid paying taxes etc. knowing they should!

By *ookie46Woman 12 weeks ago

Deepest darkest Peru

I work for a charity where the fourth highest reason someone may be referred to us for support is that they are a working family or at least one member of the family is in work

In 2022 it was the tenth reason

Canary Wharf

My mum manages a food bank in Liverpool as well as working in a school kitchen. The stories she tells me of hungry children in school and working families for whom she provides food parcels are heartbreaking!

She’ll tell you it’s the worst she’s ever experienced and this is a women who raised three boys (to men) on her own in Thatchers 80’s northern wastelands!

The UK is desperate for change, let’s hope it gets some and soon!

By *hrill CollinsMan 12 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

how many of that figure are early retirees? anyone know?

North West

The evidence is that benefit fraud/improper claims are a tiny proportion. The cost to the State of welfare fraud is small compared to the overall budget. The perception of widespread fraud, however, means ever more punitive assessments have been imposed on genuinely disabled and sick people and people are being left to struggle, to fail and sometimes to die, lacking the basics they need to survive.

I am, in many ways, very fortunate that prior to acquiring a disability, I had a good job, but I've only kept that job through fighting and fighting for reasonable adjustments, for support and it has cost me massively in terms of my physical and mental health. I don't receive any State benefits other than Child Benefit and so I have borne the additional cost of disability entirely myself. This has had negative consequences for my entire dependent family, who might otherwise benefit from our income, but they don't benefit when we have to spend thousands of pounds just so I can access the house and move around.

North West

To add, my experience and that of my disabled friends, is that a large number of employers and individuals consider the needs of disabled people as a massive pain in the arse. With this attitude being quite pervasive, and businesses being very defensive when simple adjustments are highlighted to them, how is it possible to increase the proportion of working age disabled adults in work? Only about 55% of working age disabled adults are in work, compared to 85% approx of non-disabled working age adults.

Society cannot simultaneously be unwilling to make reasonable adjustments/remove inbuilt barriers, whilst whinging that they are supporting economically inactive disabled people. A lot of the economically inactive disabled people could do some kind of paid work, but usually, this negatively impacts on their other support, such as paying for care packages, access to home adaptation, access to mobility aids etc.

Fix The System for disabled people and lots of us/them will become worker drones.

Every time I've been out of what I consider to be professional employment I've taken unskilled work and each place I've done it I've either been the only British born person or one of of very few. Most recent was Amazon Warehouse and with all the O/T you could get was £900 a week so hardly a pittance. There was one ex marine officer doing it to keep fit and busy between jobs and a handful of Brit kids ie under 25s all the rest of the 100 strong shop floor workers from overseas. There is a distinct fear of a hard day's work going around this country.

North West

"Every time I've been out of what I consider to be professional employment I've taken unskilled work and each place I've done it I've either been the only British born person or one of of very few. Most recent was Amazon Warehouse and with all the O/T you could get was £900 a week so hardly a pittance. There was one ex marine officer doing it to keep fit and busy between jobs and a handful of Brit kids ie under 25s all the rest of the 100 strong shop floor workers from overseas. There is a distinct fear of a hard day's work going around this country."

And there are a lot of people, like me, who simply could not work in such an environment. If I were ever to lose my current job, I'd be very much in the shit with finding something accessible to do in the meantime. And I am someone who has always worked, including when I was a single parent at sixth form, studying for 5 A levels. I am no shirker. But I'd not be in Amazon's warehouse or working in Caffe Nero or whatever because it simply wouldn't be possible.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"how many of that figure are early retirees? anyone know?"

They usually fall in to the 'not working by choice, not claiming benefits ' category.

If you're made redundant at over 55 (or whatever the threshold is now) and have a private pension, you have to claim it. Or at least you did when it happened to me.

The Outer Rim

"how many of that figure are early retirees? anyone know?

They usually fall in to the 'not working by choice, not claiming benefits ' category.

If you're made redundant at over 55 (or whatever the threshold is now) and have a private pension, you have to claim it. Or at least you did when it happened to me.

"

but are still counted as do not have a job (toms 11 million) aka economically inactive ..... then there is students etc etc.

if there are 11 million EI and only 1.5 million claiming out of work benefits, what constitutes the remaining 9.5 million is what i was asking?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

but are still counted as do not have a job (toms 11 million) aka economically inactive ..... then there is students etc etc.

if there are 11 million EI and only 1.5 million claiming out of work benefits, what constitutes the remaining 9.5 million is what i was asking?"

I see.

I asked a similar question at the start of the thread.

By *ustamanMan 12 weeks ago

weymouth

Stay away from the daily heil, it's reactionary headlines are what drives these stupid ill informed opinions

By *vaRose43Woman 12 weeks ago

Forest of Dean

"25%

I was about to say what does that percentage include.

I am a full-time Carer for my severely disabled child who needs 24hr care. I sleep when he is at school as I care for him overnight.

On paper though, I get put in the "Unemployed" box."

Another here that does the night shift as giving up work was cheaper than employing someone else to do the caring.

The Outer Rim

if there are 11 million EI and only 1.5 million claiming out of work benefits, what constitutes the remaining 9.5 million is what i was asking?

I see.

I asked a similar question at the start of the thread. "

jeremy hunt picked up on this last year. how to get early retires back into the workforce owing to their amount of experience in their skill set being lost to the economy. he was apparently considering ways to make community service a pre-condition to access their private pension. basically making it so people would be forced to do paid work rather than unpaid jobs like grass cutting etc etc. ..... now that's what i call govern-mental

By *ustamanMan 12 weeks ago

weymouth

I see.

jeremy hunt picked up on this last year. how to get early retires back into the workforce owing to their amount of experience in their skill set being lost to the economy. he was apparently considering ways to make community service a pre-condition to access their private pension. basically making it so people would be forced to do paid work rather than unpaid jobs like grass cutting etc etc. ..... now that's what i call govern-mental "

To get retirees back into the workforce employers need to be a: very flexible on working hours (often childcare, carers, or medical reasons)

B: force employers to not discriminate against older workers (what's listed I a: and salary levels)

Can't see it happening

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I see.

jeremy hunt picked up on this last year. how to get early retires back into the workforce owing to their amount of experience in their skill set being lost to the economy. he was apparently considering ways to make community service a pre-condition to access their private pension. basically making it so people would be forced to do paid work rather than unpaid jobs like grass cutting etc etc. ..... now that's what i call govern-mental "

. If anybody had tried to make me do paid work in order to access money that I'd worked extremely hard to invest I can't say I'd have been very happy.

As it was I had to wait six years longer to access my state pension than I was told at the start of my career.

By *ot-buttered-toastMan 12 weeks ago

Stepney

Capitalism as a system relies on a pool of unemployed workers to keep wage inflation at a manageable level. Anything less than around 4% unemployed, and the capital side of the equation gets twitchy cos it gives us sweaty workers far too much bargaining power. Further, every square meter of land in the UK is owned. So, where previously poorer people could plot up, build a rudimentary shelter and at least grow food, that's no longer possible, and paying benefits is required to prevent total anarchy.

By *arry monk40Man 12 weeks ago

Telford

Iv been unemployed for over a year I was a professional held a high pressure job for nearly 30 years I hit 60 and not can't get a job can't get a reply let alone an interview I have applied for £12 an hour admin jobs but get no reply

Food tokens

Rents paid directly to landlords

Mandatory work interviews

By *ustoassingMan 12 weeks ago

Blyth

I'm deeply disappointed.

62 posts on a thread about workshy people who do nothing but expect to have their lifestyle funded by the state and I haven't noticed a single reference to the Royal Family.

Please try harder. The unemployed and workshy deserve to be recognised, especially when they tick all the tabloid boxes by having a family member who's a bit of a nonce and still in a relationship with his ex (Uncle Andy really is a sadcase.)

london Brixton

Hey if we're picking on the benefit scroungers today at least the boat people are being left alone

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Iv been unemployed for over a year I was a professional held a high pressure job for nearly 30 years I hit 60 and not can't get a job can't get a reply let alone an interview I have applied for £12 an hour admin jobs but get no reply "

I don't think many understand that ageism is rife in the job market. I know you no longer have to declare your age but it's obvious from now long you've been working and your qualifications.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Hey if we're picking on the benefit scroungers today at least the boat people are being left alone "

I suggest a 'youth of today ' contribution to liven things up a bit

london Brixton

"Hey if we're picking on the benefit scroungers today at least the boat people are being left alone

I suggest a 'youth of today ' contribution to liven things up a bit "

Or the woke lefty brigade, we'll do that tomorrow?

By *ot-buttered-toastMan 12 weeks ago

Stepney

"Iv been unemployed for over a year I was a professional held a high pressure job for nearly 30 years I hit 60 and not can't get a job can't get a reply let alone an interview I have applied for £12 an hour admin jobs but get no reply

I don't think many understand that ageism is rife in the job market. I know you no longer have to declare your age but it's obvious from now long you've been working and your qualifications.

"

That's disappointing. I'm returning to the UK soon to look for work, and I'm nearly 60...

Sagittarius A

I think this attitude of labelling people as workshy is so counter-productive. It ignores the situational factors. This is a de-industrialised nation, jobs especially skilled jobs are not abundant, a lot of what is available is low paid and unsecure. Wherever possible work is being automated. Ignoring the situational factors and simply labelling people as lazy, won't change that. I haven't really got time for those attitudes, it's so outdated it feels like I'm reading Ragged Trousered Philanthropists again. It's going nowhere positive, get a job or die in the gutter quietly. Like it's not been tried before.

A change in how we view work, how profits are distributed and redistributed; how to ensure people's basic needs are protected and equality of opportunity is facilitated is what I believe is called for. With the right environment the vast majority of people will wish to contribute and work.

North West

I see.

Early retirees ARE included in the "economically inactive working age" stats.

london Brixton

"I think this attitude of labelling people as workshy is so counter-productive. It ignores the situational factors. This is a de-industrialised nation, jobs especially skilled jobs are not abundant, a lot of what is available is low paid and unsecure. Wherever possible work is being automated. Ignoring the situational factors and simply labelling people as lazy, won't change that. I haven't really got time for those attitudes, it's so outdated it feels like I'm reading Ragged Trousered Philanthropists again. It's going nowhere positive, get a job or die in the gutter quietly. Like it's not been tried before.

A change in how we view work, how profits are distributed and redistributed; how to ensure people's basic needs are protected and equality of opportunity is facilitated is what I believe is called for. With the right environment the vast majority of people will wish to contribute and work. "

Very nice post! And people's circumstances can change. When I was with a global IT company for 25 years I was held in high regard and a grafter. I once worked 60 days in a row, worked 36 hours straight when called out at the weekend. I done 120 hours overtime in a month.

However covid hit me hard and I spent nearly a year in bed hooked up to oxygen and coukd barely have a shower without help. I was lucky than I got a years full sick pay and private medical and was referred to the top long covid specialist in the UK.

What if I didn't have that support? I would have went to a hard worker to a benefit scrounger and eventually homeless through no fault of my own.

The Outer Rim

"Early retirees ARE included in the "economically inactive working age" stats."

that's what i said .... so are they workshy? people are quick to point the finger without looking in the mirror. the cost to the economy is the same no matter what the reason.

By *ulesphilCouple 12 weeks ago

Castleford

Hellooo

I see.

2.4m students

1.5m unemployed

1.6m caring

2.6m sick

1.2m retiree

1m other.

My maths may have rounded badly but ball park

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52660591

Sagittarius A

"I think this attitude of labelling people as workshy is so counter-productive. It ignores the situational factors. This is a de-industrialised nation, jobs especially skilled jobs are not abundant, a lot of what is available is low paid and unsecure. Wherever possible work is being automated. Ignoring the situational factors and simply labelling people as lazy, won't change that. I haven't really got time for those attitudes, it's so outdated it feels like I'm reading Ragged Trousered Philanthropists again. It's going nowhere positive, get a job or die in the gutter quietly. Like it's not been tried before.

A change in how we view work, how profits are distributed and redistributed; how to ensure people's basic needs are protected and equality of opportunity is facilitated is what I believe is called for. With the right environment the vast majority of people will wish to contribute and work.

Very nice post! And people's circumstances can change. When I was with a global IT company for 25 years I was held in high regard and a grafter. I once worked 60 days in a row, worked 36 hours straight when called out at the weekend. I done 120 hours overtime in a month.

However covid hit me hard and I spent nearly a year in bed hooked up to oxygen and coukd barely have a shower without help. I was lucky than I got a years full sick pay and private medical and was referred to the top long covid specialist in the UK.

What if I didn't have that support? I would have went to a hard worker to a benefit scrounger and eventually homeless through no fault of my own."

And that happens, sadly. I'm glad you got the support you needed. I want to live in a society where everyone can rely upon that.

By *agatoXXXMan 12 weeks ago

Mordor

I wonder if the people spouting workshy are just getting nostalgic for the heady days of tory misrule?

All I can say to them is: don't criticise until you've walked a mile in my shoes, with my walking aids. Or wheeled yourself a mile in someone's wheelchair.

Until these things happen to you, you know nothing, and are not qualified to judge.

I acquired my disability in an accident 14 years ago, and had to retire on medical grounds a year later, when it be clear things wouldn't improve.

For the people who think they hand out benefits like sweeties, it then took me 7 years of fighting the DWP to get all the benefits I was ENTITLED TO.

I have a motability car, which I don't get for nothing. The cost of the lease comes from my benefits. And I have to contribute a deposit.

I don't bring home anything like the money I did when I was working, and, just like everyone else, the cost of living went up, and continues to go up, for me.

There's a much bigger picture than some here with their "scroungers" mentality seem to think.

By *lue Eyed JokerMan 12 weeks ago

Always on the move

For a minute there, I thought I'd stumbled into the Daily Mail forums and comment sections. Jeez

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I see.

2.4m students

1.5m unemployed

1.6m caring

2.6m sick

1.2m retiree

1m other.

My maths may have rounded badly but ball park

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52660591

"

Thank you

North West

"I wonder if the people spouting workshy are just getting nostalgic for the heady days of tory misrule?

All I can say to them is: don't criticise until you've walked a mile in my shoes, with my walking aids. Or wheeled yourself a mile in someone's wheelchair.

Until these things happen to you, you know nothing, and are not qualified to judge.

I acquired my disability in an accident 14 years ago, and had to retire on medical grounds a year later, when it be clear things wouldn't improve.

For the people who think they hand out benefits like sweeties, it then took me 7 years of fighting the DWP to get all the benefits I was ENTITLED TO.

I have a motability car, which I don't get for nothing. The cost of the lease comes from my benefits. And I have to contribute a deposit.

I don't bring home anything like the money I did when I was working, and, just like everyone else, the cost of living went up, and continues to go up, for me.

There's a much bigger picture than some here with their "scroungers" mentality seem to think.

"

Yup. This!

» Add a new message to this topic