FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Are mondern Fairy Tailes too censored

Are mondern Fairy Tailes too censored

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oxes OP   Man 12 weeks ago

Southend, Essex

" Sitting down and reading fairy tail has been a part of almost every childhood. Fairy tails especially ones aimed towards children have an undertones of darkness that is often unsettling as opposed to overt grim dark and violent themes of their original counterparts... They are unflinching in their telling of violence, hardships and moral lessons as opposed to contemporary tellings whom frequently mask these harsh realities with polished narratives and happy endings.

The vaneer of safety and simplicity is all well and good but does it obscure the underlying anxieties and complex human emotions the stories initially aimed to adress.

We seem to be on a mission to make stories originally for children as nice and easily digestible as possible but it's rearly reflected in the real world...

... These are the easy narratives to tell. Traditional fairy tales were not designed to be controversial they were written to highlight certain darker aspects of humanity that still are very much present to this day. They were deducted to teach adults and children of the dangers of the world.

We avoid topics we are uncomfortable with and instead choose safer topics on wellbeing etc. which is vital but only maked up a small part of what makes the human experience".

This is a quote from a YT channel called 'Into the shadows'. On their video about fairy tailes.

Do you think they're is still room for the older retellings in the world,( maybe for an adult audience) I personally do not feel comfortable with 'Sun, Moon & Talia'. AKA the original telling of Sleeping Beauty.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ophieslutTV/TS 12 weeks ago

Central

Parents can share their choice of stories, as appropriate. Broadcasters have a duty of care, to ensure they don't harm the vulnerable. I've no idea where OP has concerns but it's always better to have child experts guidance

By *icecouple561Couple 12 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I had a book of the fairy tales of The Brothers Grimm when I was a kid. I can honestly say that they had very little effect on me, I wasn't nearly clever enough to infer deeper meaning from them and I just enjoyed reading them. I didn't take them seriously because I knew they were fiction. As an adult I can see that they were metaphors.

I think Roald Dahl's books are modern fairy stories.

By *ou only live onceMan 12 weeks ago

London

I've no idea, OP. I'm not exposed to much children's TV, but parents/carers can choose to tell their children any fairy tale they like - none of the classics have gone away!

But I also think there's room for children not to have to worry about the whole 'human experience'; there's plenty of time for that, so if it's just a nice story with no hidden warning/lesson, that's cool too!

By *agatoXXXMan 12 weeks ago

Mordor

Blame Disney. They sugar coated everything, apart from Bambi's mum.

Southend, Essex

"I've no idea, OP. I'm not exposed to much children's TV, but parents/carers can choose to tell their children any fairy tale they like - none of the classics have gone away!

But I also think there's room for children not to have to worry about the whole 'human experience'; there's plenty of time for that, so if it's just a nice story with no hidden warning/lesson, that's cool too!"

I think your right but I think it can also be applied to adults. We can watch the matrix and everything everywhere all at once without looking at the deeper philosophical messages being taught. We can enjoy the films simply by enjoying them.

By *ot to giggleWoman 12 weeks ago

Coventry

some children are more sensitive than others, mine was unable to listen to fairy tails until she was certainly able to process the information better, so about 9 or 10.

they did Little Red Riding Hood at school when she was about 5 or 6, she had nightmares for weeks after and cried a lot about Grandma being eaten and would the girl still be alive. It was tough and we had stories every night.

I personally think there are far more issues to address first, the lack of out door activities and the lack of running around that children actually do these days.

I was talking a child den building the other day, we literally had about a 5 minute walk to the place from the car, he cried, he needed a drink and an snack before we got there. He was disgusted by the wood and the 'dirt' that was on the floor! And he was so out of breath on the way back we had to stop at a bench for what seemed like an eternity so he could get his breath back, and his feet were really hurting him!!!!! it was so sad to witness, we currently have a programme for him just walking to the shop and back !

By *ellhungvweMan 12 weeks ago

Cheltenham

"some children are more sensitive than others, mine was unable to listen to fairy tails until she was certainly able to process the information better, so about 9 or 10.

they did Little Red Riding Hood at school when she was about 5 or 6, she had nightmares for weeks after and cried a lot about Grandma being eaten and would the girl still be alive. It was tough and we had stories every night.

I personally think there are far more issues to address first, the lack of out door activities and the lack of running around that children actually do these days.

I was talking a child den building the other day, we literally had about a 5 minute walk to the place from the car, he cried, he needed a drink and an snack before we got there. He was disgusted by the wood and the 'dirt' that was on the floor! And he was so out of breath on the way back we had to stop at a bench for what seemed like an eternity so he could get his breath back, and his feet were really hurting him!!!!! it was so sad to witness, we currently have a programme for him just walking to the shop and back !

"

I read that and just felt sadness for the child. My kids have been so lucky living in the countryside - their primary schools all had regular forest school lessons every week in the woods (basically three hours of playing in the mud, building dens and going feral). It’s sad that lots of kids don’t get to experience that even once.

By *lder.Woman 12 weeks ago

Not Local

It is interesting going back and reading fairytales and looking for the deeper meanings of them through adults eyes.

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS 12 weeks ago

chichester

Mate life is too censored full stop these last few years

Southend, Essex

"some children are more sensitive than others, mine was unable to listen to fairy tails until she was certainly able to process the information better, so about 9 or 10.

I read that and just felt sadness for the child. My kids have been so lucky living in the countryside - their primary schools all had regular forest school lessons every week in the woods (basically three hours of playing in the mud, building dens and going feral). It’s sad that lots of kids don’t get to experience that even once."

I too felt sad reading this.

By *sleWightCoupleCouple 12 weeks ago

Ryde

The version of Little Red Riding Hood which was the standard one when I was a kid (70s-80s) always ended with the wolf being slit open to to save Red Riding Hood after he swallows her.

As for The Three Little Pigs, the one (again) from my childhood had each pig running to the next house when the wolf called, but when reaching the house of brick, there's a nasty surprise waiting for the him: a cauldron of boiling oil on the fire below the chimney, and the wolf falls straight in when trying to get in the house.

The book was illustrated, and had the most horrific picture of the wolf screaming in pain as he's boiled alive, with the pig gleefully watching!

Most bloody adaptations of classic fairytales usually end with the words: "And then they all went home for tea" or some other PC crap to that effect.

Southend, Essex

"The version of Little Red Riding Hood which was the standard one when I was a kid (70s-80s) always ended with the wolf being slit open to to save Red Riding Hood after he swallows her.

As for The Three Little Pigs, the one (again) from my childhood had each pig running to the next house when the wolf called, but when reaching the house of brick, there's a nasty surprise waiting for the him: a cauldron of boiling oil on the fire below the chimney, and the wolf falls straight in when trying to get in the house.

The book was illustrated, and had the most horrific picture of the wolf screaming in pain as he's boiled alive, with the pig gleefully watching!

Most bloody adaptations of classic fairytales usually end with the words: "And then they all went home for tea" or some other PC crap to that effect."

Where they meet the Tiger lol

By *annyDanielleMan 12 weeks ago

Street, Somerset

The censors' time would be far better spent dealing with all the nasty shit that's written in the Old and New Testaments and the Quran. If they let this kind of diabolical literature through why do they believe fairy tales are so harmful. It makes no sense.

By *orny PTMan 12 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Parents can share their choice of stories, as appropriate. Broadcasters have a duty of care, to ensure they don't harm the vulnerable. I've no idea where OP has concerns but it's always better to have child experts guidance "

Times have changed, Just look at the way Watership Down has had it rating changed....

Taken from the Beeb

The 1978 animated film Watership Down has been re-classified to a PG due to its "mild violence, threat, brief bloody images and bad language".

The movie is among the classic titles to have had their age ratings raised, along with the original Star Trek, according to the British Board of Film Classification's (BBFC) annual report.

After being resubmitted, the ratings were raised by the organisation, it said, in order to ensure they "remain in step with societal standards".

Watership Down, which is based on the novel by Richard Adams, tells the tale of a group of rabbits who leave their burrow in search of a new home.

Their quest brings them into contact with a battle-scarred rabbit called "General" Woundwort, as well as a gull called Kehaar who tells another character to go away using an expletive.

The film - which features the voices of Sir John Hurt and Richard Briers - received a U [Universal] rating on its initial release for its "very mild language, mild violence and threat".

"Piss off!" From a rabbit is bad

"Bloddy Hell" from a school kid/young wizard is OK

The times are-a-changing and the cotton wool is selling well.

By *rsKOTCTWoman 12 weeks ago

Leeds

I was gutted when I realised I could never snog the little mermaid - but other than that I've never had any ill effect from fairytales other than romance/relationships in real life are nothing like the books.

By *annyDanielleMan 12 weeks ago

Street, Somerset

"Parents can share their choice of stories, as appropriate. Broadcasters have a duty of care, to ensure they don't harm the vulnerable. I've no idea where OP has concerns but it's always better to have child experts guidance

Times have changed, Just look at the way Watership Down has had it rating changed....

Taken from the Beeb

The 1978 animated film Watership Down has been re-classified to a PG due to its "mild violence, threat, brief bloody images and bad language".

The movie is among the classic titles to have had their age ratings raised, along with the original Star Trek, according to the British Board of Film Classification's (BBFC) annual report.

After being resubmitted, the ratings were raised by the organisation, it said, in order to ensure they "remain in step with societal standards".

Watership Down, which is based on the novel by Richard Adams, tells the tale of a group of rabbits who leave their burrow in search of a new home.

Their quest brings them into contact with a battle-scarred rabbit called "General" Woundwort, as well as a gull called Kehaar who tells another character to go away using an expletive.

The film - which features the voices of Sir John Hurt and Richard Briers - received a U [Universal] rating on its initial release for its "very mild language, mild violence and threat".

The times are-a-changing and the cotton wool is selling well."

Times have indeed changed and not for the better.

By *pankingNorfolkCouple 12 weeks ago

Norwichish

"Parents can share their choice of stories, as appropriate. Broadcasters have a duty of care, to ensure they don't harm the vulnerable. I've no idea where OP has concerns but it's always better to have child experts guidance

Taken from the Beeb

The times are-a-changing and the cotton wool is selling well.

Times have indeed changed and not for the better. "

I remember being scared by Watership Down as a kid especially the scenes with the other Warren and the fights. Plus the bird taking one of them.

There are a ton of films that used to be 15 or 18 which have also been downgraded to 12 or PG because socialetal standards have changed in the opposite direction.

Basic rule of life here….

It was always better when I was young, the modern way is always wrong.

It wasn’t better it isn’t wrong it’s just different.

Nowadays young adults wear socks pulled up their ankles while wearing shorts and trainers. Only my grandad did that and i would not have been seen dead like that. Then again my grandad also used to walk around wearing a shirt and tie everywhere every day, he could not understand why my Dad didn’t.

By *eyond PurityCouple 12 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

"Blame Disney. They sugar coated everything, apart from Bambi's mum."

Blame Disney for what?

Most films have a parent or someone close die and they always have good against evil.

If you’re going down that route then blame Harry Potter…pretty much same premise. Blame Universal…

So many books/fairy tales/films have a deeper meaning that get over looked as a child but appears quite dark as an adult but it’s a way of showing real life too for children.

K

By *aitonelMan 12 weeks ago

Liverpool

Guess what.

Those fairy tales you know as being censored now, were already censored compared to the original versions. The versions you know are not the original.

And are already made tame in comparison, so regardless of them being watered down even more by modern standards, just remember it happened at least once before.

It happens, get over it.

By *MisschiefxTV/TS 12 weeks ago

London

Children just aren't traumatised enough these days.

Make them all watch The Land Before Time, that's what I say.

By *uri00620Woman 12 weeks ago

Croydon

"Children just aren't traumatised enough these days.

Make them all watch The Land Before Time, that's what I say."

And The Animals of Farthing Wood

By *oeBeansMan 12 weeks ago

Derby

"Guess what.

Those fairy tales you know as being censored now, were already censored compared to the original versions. The versions you know are not the original.

And are already made tame in comparison, so regardless of them being watered down even more by modern standards, just remember it happened at least once before.

It happens, get over it. "

Yep, pretty much this. You can't moan about something being diluted but comparing it to something that was already diluted in the first place.

By (user no longer on site) 12 weeks ago

Watership down is what you need.

By *8on33Man 12 weeks ago

winfrith

"" Sitting down and reading fairy tail has been a part of almost every childhood. Fairy tails especially ones aimed towards children have an undertones of darkness that is often unsettling as opposed to overt grim dark and violent themes of their original counterparts... They are unflinching in their telling of violence, hardships and moral lessons as opposed to contemporary tellings whom frequently mask these harsh realities with polished narratives and happy endings.

The vaneer of safety and simplicity is all well and good but does it obscure the underlying anxieties and complex human emotions the stories initially aimed to adress.

We seem to be on a mission to make stories originally for children as nice and easily digestible as possible but it's rearly reflected in the real world...

... These are the easy narratives to tell. Traditional fairy tales were not designed to be controversial they were written to highlight certain darker aspects of humanity that still are very much present to this day. They were deducted to teach adults and children of the dangers of the world.

We avoid topics we are uncomfortable with and instead choose safer topics on wellbeing etc. which is vital but only maked up a small part of what makes the human experience".

This is a quote from a YT channel called 'Into the shadows'. On their video about fairy tailes.

Do you think they're is still room for the older retellings in the world,( maybe for an adult audience) I personally do not feel comfortable with 'Sun, Moon & Talia'. AKA the original telling of Sleeping Beauty. "

You're overthinking it it's a fairytale a fictional fairytale just leave it at that .

By *he KakapoMan 12 weeks ago

A nice rock

The world is fucking bleak enough, and kids get exposed to things such earlier these days.

Let them have some light and fluffy happiness as long as possible

By *lue RascalMan 12 weeks ago

Cheshire Liverpool Manchester

Yep, yep, yep. I recently found out the little girl who voiced Duckie was murdered by her father. That made me really sad.

By *orny PTMan 12 weeks ago

Peterborough

Spoiler alert: they all died out.

By *rRiosMan 12 weeks ago

dublin

Yep, yep, yep. I recently found out the little girl who voiced Duckie was murdered by her father. That made me really sad. "

That’s grim!

Southend, Essex

Watership down is what you need."

That got reclassification recently sfter channel 4 got complaints.

» Add a new message to this topic