FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Athletes not letting go

Athletes not letting go

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *zero OP   Man 14 weeks ago

A wretched hive of scum and villainy

Yesterday watching France v Portugal (awful game) there seemed to be only one talking point. Cristiano Ronaldo, undoubtedly one of the greatest footballers of all time walked around the pitch, insisted upon taking all the free kicks and penalties and looked a pale shadow of the footballer he was in his prime.

I understand doing what you love is hard to give up but sometimes it's better to burn out rather than fade away.

What athletes do you think retired at the right time or too late. Also have any of you competed at something and had to stop?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ew couple4youCouple 14 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Yesterday watching France v Portugal (awful game) there seemed to be only one talking point. Cristiano Ronaldo, undoubtedly one of the greatest footballers of all time walked around the pitch, insisted upon taking all the free kicks and penalties and looked a pale shadow of the footballer he was in his prime.

I understand doing what you love is hard to give up but sometimes it's better to burn out rather than fade away.

What athletes do you think retired at the right time or too late. Also have any of you competed at something and had to stop?"

The manager should have dropped him he was terrible all tournament. You can’t just play a plYer going off past achievements especially with how poor he has been.

Another athlete who I think has continued to long is Andy Murray. One of my favourite sportsman ever and it’s tough to see him lose to people he would have walked over just a few years ago.

By *till gameMan 14 weeks ago

two doors down

Usain Bolt got it pretty much spot on

By *oeBeansMan 14 weeks ago

Derby

I'm a massive wrestling fan and there are so many wrestlers who took it past their best. Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker, Mick Foley, Terry Funk... The list goes on. I think the only one who retired while they could still go was probably Shawn Michaels

"Yesterday watching France v Portugal (awful game) there seemed to be only one talking point. Cristiano Ronaldo, undoubtedly one of the greatest footballers of all time walked around the pitch, insisted upon taking all the free kicks and penalties and looked a pale shadow of the footballer he was in his prime.

What athletes do you think retired at the right time or too late. Also have any of you competed at something and had to stop?

The manager should have dropped him he was terrible all tournament. You can’t just play a plYer going off past achievements especially with how poor he has been.

Another athlete who I think has continued to long is Andy Murray. One of my favourite sportsman ever and it’s tough to see him lose to people he would have walked over just a few years ago. "

Ronaldo could have aged into the super sub of the team like Muller for Germany but sadly no.

I feel like Murray has been having his last year for about 5 years now. It's terrible because you know he's hurting the whole time he plays.

By *batMan 14 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

Same deal with some musical performers. Paul McCartney springs to mind.

Gbat

"I'm a massive wrestling fan and there are so many wrestlers who took it past their best. Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker, Mick Foley, Terry Funk... The list goes on. I think the only one who retired while they could still go was probably Shawn Michaels"

Yup he retired at the right time had that match with Ric Flair AND NEVER WRESTLED AGAIN.

Crown Jewel is not cannon.

By *ellhungvweMan 14 weeks ago

Cheltenham

It is easy to say leave at the top - almost no one ever does.

I think Lewis Hamilton is on the cusp of starting to overstay - clearly still a supremely talented driver but is he still as good as he was?

By *till gameMan 14 weeks ago

two doors down

Ron Jeremy

By *avexxMan 14 weeks ago

cheshire

roger federer got it right

"I'm a massive wrestling fan and there are so many wrestlers who took it past their best. Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker, Mick Foley, Terry Funk... The list goes on. I think the only one who retired while they could still go was probably Shawn Michaels

Yup he retired at the right time had that match with Ric Flair AND NEVER WRESTLED AGAIN.

Crown Jewel is not cannon. "

Correction* it was Undertaker who retired Michaels. Getting my wires crossed

By *eordieJeansCouple 14 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Paul Scholes… twice.

Derby

"Paul Scholes… twice."

Won the league, retired, came back, won the league again, retired again. Yeah, that's pretty perfect

Derby

"I'm a massive wrestling fan and there are so many wrestlers who took it past their best. Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker, Mick Foley, Terry Funk... The list goes on. I think the only one who retired while they could still go was probably Shawn Michaels

Crown Jewel is not cannon.

Correction* it was Undertaker who retired Michaels. Getting my wires crossed "

Yep, and I think that's why The Undertaker stayed too long because he was looking for that Shawn Michaels retirement.

By *he KakapoMan 14 weeks ago

A nice rock

The thing is of they are still enjoying it then why quit. According to any performing autobiography ever... nothing ever matches it

Derby

Don Bradman retired too early. He needed 4 runs from his final innings to average 100 and he got out for a duck, leaving his career average at 99.94

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Paul Scholes… twice.

Won the league, retired, came back, won the league again, retired again. Yeah, that's pretty perfect "

I don’t think anyone can beat that. Maybe Michael Jordan but he didn’t do it in a a pair of boots from sports direct.

By (user no longer on site) 14 weeks ago

"I'm a massive wrestling fan and there are so many wrestlers who took it past their best. Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker, Mick Foley, Terry Funk... The list goes on. I think the only one who retired while they could still go was probably Shawn Michaels"

Is WWE a sport or choreographed ballet?

Derby

"The thing is of they are still enjoying it then why quit. According to any performing autobiography ever... nothing ever matches it"

People have short term memories and always feeling like staying too long "ruins their legacy". It's nonsense, but seeing people clown elite sport men and women because they aren't as superhuman as they once were is pretty crap to see.

Derby

Is WWE a sport or choreographed ballet? "

It may not be a sport, but I still consider the wrestlers athletes which is what the OP was talking about

By *eyond PurityCouple 14 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

Yeah the tears Ronaldo cried weren’t for the team but cos he knew he wasn’t THE match winner now. He’s just wanting to break records now more than anything else.

Murray is defo one who should have just quit - it’s great he came back from career ending injury but if you can’t compete there’s no point.

I think when you start getting angry with everything rather than enjoy the game, it’s time to quit!

K

"Paul Scholes… twice.

Won the league, retired, came back, won the league again, retired again. Yeah, that's pretty perfect

I don’t think anyone can beat that. Maybe Michael Jordan but he didn’t do it in a a pair of boots from sports direct."

He went off fighting aliens with Bugs Bunny. Hero.

By *agneto.Man 14 weeks ago

Bham

Another athlete who I think has continued to long is Andy Murray. One of my favourite sportsman ever and it’s tough to see him lose to people he would have walked over just a few years ago. "

The last manager who dropped him got sacked.

Another manager who dared drop him caused a whole hour with piers Morgan to get him out of the club.

By (user no longer on site) 14 weeks ago

It may not be a sport, but I still consider the wrestlers athletes which is what the OP was talking about "

Sport is when there are number of contestants pitting their skills and athleticism against each other and the outcome is unknown.

WWE is pantomime where the outcome is a forgone conclusion.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 14 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

Jackie Stewart, retired at the age of 34 or 35 at the end of the season that saw him take his 3rd World Championship in F1.

Back in those days most careers came to an end due to fatal accidents, he got through it, but knew to quit while he was ahead.

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Paul Scholes… twice.

I don’t think anyone can beat that. Maybe Michael Jordan but he didn’t do it in a a pair of boots from sports direct.

He went off fighting aliens with Bugs Bunny. Hero."

Everybody wants to be like Mike.

By *os19Man 14 weeks ago

Edmonton

I think Eric Cantona retired too early at 31 years old and the man who initially replaced him Teddy Sheringhan was also 31 years old who went on to have 4 years at Man Utd.Muhammed Ali went on far too long in boxing and many felt the later fights is want caused his Parkinson illness.

Derby

It may not be a sport, but I still consider the wrestlers athletes which is what the OP was talking about

Sport is when there are number of contestants pitting their skills and athleticism against each other and the outcome is unknown.

WWE is pantomime where the outcome is a forgone conclusion."

Can you read? Where did the OP, or I for that matter, say it was a sport or ask you to define what a sport is? He said athletes which WWE wrestlers are. It's still a performance where they can go past their prime which is the point of the post so there's no reason for you to tell me what WWE is.

By *inky_couple2020Couple 14 weeks ago

North West

I agree Usain Bolt got it right.

Mo Farah maybe went on a bit long but he seemed to enjoy the marathons, so that's fine.

Andy Murray looked in a bad way the other day, he's just going to disable himself for life.

I had to give up lots of sports. I've tried lots of wheelchair sports, but it's not the same. I'll never ever kick a football round with my daughter, or do lots of things I want to do, which makes me sad. I try not to dwell on it anymore.

I used to be a very good discus thrower. I tried seated discus but I really didn't like it so that's in my past too. Another thing that makes me sad.

» Add a new message to this topic