FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Body Dysmorphia

Body Dysmorphia

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *igR93 OP   Man 13 weeks ago

Sarcasm City

Bit of a sad topic tonight,

Recently I’ve been having bouts of body dysmorphia which gives me the big sads sometimes, has anyone experienced said symptoms previously? If so how did you/do you deal with it?

I’ve experienced it for a few years but it seems to be becoming more and more prevalent as of late..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *urry BlokeMan 13 weeks ago

Horrendous dysmorphia

I used to be very very overweight

My body bears the physical scars

My head, however, carries the heavier burden

Regardless of my size, I will ALWAYS be disgustingly overweight in my head

I don't deal with it

I simply switch off from it most of time

I am thankful that, for the majority, I am rational and can reason it away

By *ansoffateMan 13 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Not personally, but I have had 2 family members struggle with body dysmorphia and my heart goes out to you, it can be very disorientating and anxiety provoking.

By *iscean_dreamMan 13 weeks ago

Llanelli

Yes I get it and it's not helped by some messaging you telling you that you should eat something fatty to put weight on so ribs don't show

By *oeBeansMan 13 weeks ago

Derby

Sorry to hear that OP and hope it passes soon. I have bouts where I look at myself and I'm not happy with how I look. Either I felt I looked too slim and go to the gym more, or noticed I've put more fat on which I'm not used to and eat less. I can't give you advice on how to deal with it as I find it just passes but please talk to someone if it's getting overwhelming

By *ot to giggleWoman 13 weeks ago

Coventry

wow you guys all look amazing. Sorry to hear of this. Can I ask are you struggling with food or image or both?? I have had an interest in eating disorders and disordered eating with the children i had been working with. It is hard to find support, although there are help lines for helping with eating disorders. BDD - CBT is supposed to help, have you managed to find any outside support, or have you not ventured to look?

By *urry BlokeMan 13 weeks ago

Interesting to note the body shapes of the three that have commented so far

All very different

A condition that is quite often brushed off with a 'don't be daft' or a 'give over, you're fine' kind of comment

Yet, more common that we perhaps give it recognition for...

By *ou only live onceMan 13 weeks ago

London

Sorry to hear that, OP. I don't know if it's dysmorphia but I am definitely massively self critical and will only spot flaws in a mirror!

I know this won't help as it's what you tell yourself that counts but most of the guys on here would give their left arm for your physique and you clearly put a lot of work in, so go easy on yourself!

By *rHotNottsMan 13 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Bit of a sad topic tonight,

Recently I’ve been having bouts of body dysmorphia which gives me the big sads sometimes, has anyone experienced said symptoms previously? If so how did you/do you deal with it?

I’ve experienced it for a few years but it seems to be becoming more and more prevalent as of late.."

What like are you seeing fat or thinking you have too much fat?

By *ot to giggleWoman 13 weeks ago

Coventry

"Interesting to note the body shapes of the three that have commented so far

All very different

A condition that is quite often brushed off with a 'don't be daft' or a 'give over, you're fine' kind of comment

Yet, more common that we perhaps give it recognition for... "

there is a lot of BDD / eating disorders / disordered eating - its more common than a lot of people would think. I had anorexia when i was 16, mixture of exam pressure and crap mother ... was a struggle to deal with and then again late 20, that was a really bugger. I find i usually end up with children that are having some kind of issues with food or body image.

By *oeBeansMan 13 weeks ago

Derby

"Sorry to hear that, OP. I don't know if it's dysmorphia but I am definitely massively self critical and will only spot flaws in a mirror!

I know this won't help as it's what you tell yourself that counts but most of the guys on here would give their left arm for your physique and you clearly put a lot of work in, so go easy on yourself!"

Exactly this! I don't want to trivialise your issues by telling you that you look amazing and blowing smoke, but if it helps, you really do!

By *edeWoman 13 weeks ago

the abyss

I'm not sure I can be much help given that it's basically been my headspace since I can remember. I've always avoided mirrors, I dissociate from my body when I'm taking photos for here/at events in lingerie and generally struggling with dressing myself and feeling I look 'ok'.

I think I've just got used to it to be honest and it's now a part of me. I would say if you're only starting to notice it now it's because something has triggered it such as relationship breakdown etc? If you can find the root cause you can try and work through it. But the main thing is not to be hard on yourself for what you feel, your feelings are valid. People saying 'bit you look amazing' can be unhelpful as it can trigger you to feel ashamed of your thoughts, don't let that happen. Be kind to yourself when you can

*I've rambled and not proof read so have absolutely no clue of it makes sense so apologies if it's gibberish

By *he KakapoMan 13 weeks ago

A nice rock

Do you have a counsellor you can speak to OP?

As much as some positive vibes on here can help a professional is the best person to speak to.

London

"Do you have a counsellor you can speak to OP?

As much as some positive vibes on here can help a professional is the best person to speak to."

100% this.

By *lue RascalMan 13 weeks ago

Cheshire Liverpool Manchester

I don’t really know enough about this to give any sound advice or help. But if it does help in any way like others have said you do look great OP

London

Oh and I've read Cede's post. Certainly wasn't meaning to trivialise or invalidate your feelings, OP; I know exactly what you're saying!

What we see and what others see can be very different things!

Sarcasm City

As much as some positive vibes on here can help a professional is the best person to speak to."

I have tried counselling for it but it’s very much a now and again occurrence but more prevalent in the summer months

Therapists aren’t really much help it’s mostly “have you tried doing this or have you tried doing this” or cognitive exercises!

It’s interesting to see how many other people suffer with it though! So thanks for all the comments, it’s always nice to know I’m not massively alone with it!

Sarcasm City

"Sorry to hear that OP and hope it passes soon. I have bouts where I look at myself and I'm not happy with how I look. Either I felt I looked too slim and go to the gym more, or noticed I've put more fat on which I'm not used to and eat less. I can't give you advice on how to deal with it as I find it just passes but please talk to someone if it's getting overwhelming "

This is what I also get! Thank you Joe!

Sarcasm City

All very different

Yet, more common that we perhaps give it recognition for... "

It’s intriguing isn’t it?

Even the current Mr Olympia suffers with it, it seems to get worse the more you dive into that particular sport.

Sarcasm City

"I'm not sure I can be much help given that it's basically been my headspace since I can remember. I've always avoided mirrors, I dissociate from my body when I'm taking photos for here/at events in lingerie and generally struggling with dressing myself and feeling I look 'ok'.

I think I've just got used to it to be honest and it's now a part of me. I would say if you're only starting to notice it now it's because something has triggered it such as relationship breakdown etc? If you can find the root cause you can try and work through it. But the main thing is not to be hard on yourself for what you feel, your feelings are valid. People saying 'bit you look amazing' can be unhelpful as it can trigger you to feel ashamed of your thoughts, don't let that happen. Be kind to yourself when you can

*I've rambled and not proof read so have absolutely no clue of it makes sense so apologies if it's gibberish "

No no it usually comes on over the summer months when I drop body fat!

A nice rock

As much as some positive vibes on here can help a professional is the best person to speak to.

I have tried counselling for it but it’s very much a now and again occurrence but more prevalent in the summer months

Therapists aren’t really much help it’s mostly “have you tried doing this or have you tried doing this” or cognitive exercises!

It’s interesting to see how many other people suffer with it though! So thanks for all the comments, it’s always nice to know I’m not massively alone with it!

"

I get that, but I would advise trying different ones until you find one that fits for you.

In the long run I think its worth the work.

But either way well done for voicing your struggles bud and I hope the current low passes soon

A nice rock

All very different

Yet, more common that we perhaps give it recognition for...

It’s intriguing isn’t it?

Even the current Mr Olympia suffers with it, it seems to get worse the more you dive into that particular sport."

It's probably more the ED driving the person to the sport that the sport driving them to an ED

the abyss

"I'm not sure I can be much help given that it's basically been my headspace since I can remember. I've always avoided mirrors, I dissociate from my body when I'm taking photos for here/at events in lingerie and generally struggling with dressing myself and feeling I look 'ok'.

*I've rambled and not proof read so have absolutely no clue of it makes sense so apologies if it's gibberish

No no it usually comes on over the summer months when I drop body fat! "

Is that when you are doing a cut? Do you think it may have something to do with a calorie deficit and the body not feeling it has the fuel it needs. Out mental health can be affected by so many things. Also if you are focusing on a cut it could be that your brain is focusing on your body fat more than the rest of the time?

By *929Man 13 weeks ago

newcastle

I do get a bit of it off and on some days look in mirror and think “scrawny little cunt” at times put a tshirt on then take it off as think look small in it had it ever since starting training thing every e who trains gets it to some degree

By *ymbunnyfitCouple 13 weeks ago

East Yorkshire

Both have it after years of competition and training downside of bodybuilding xx

the abyss

"Oh and I've read Cede's post. Certainly wasn't meaning to trivialise or invalidate your feelings, OP; I know exactly what you're saying!

What we see and what others see can be very different things!"

Sorry I didn't mean it to come across badly, I'm lacking in spoons tonight

I just know that when my heads in that space, people saying nice things can sometimes be more confusing but that's me. I know it usually comes from a genuine place and would never think badly of someone trying to help pull someone out of a dark place

Sarcasm City

"Both have it after years of competition and training downside of bodybuilding xx "

Terrible isn’t it!

By *umhitherCouple 13 weeks ago

billericay

I really have trouble with my looks. I'm a curvy 14/16 but have a bad mum tum which annoys me. I really struggle day to day with how I feel I look,but have to say that when I'm at a lifestyle event, I somehow forget it all. It's so liberating to be able to walk around in next to nothing and feel admired and attractive.

By *heGateKeeperMan 13 weeks ago

Stratford

When I was younger I competed in martial arts. I had a weight category but my metabolism at that age meant it just stayed off no matter what I ate.

Saw some real horrors of people trying to shed weight for fights and it put me off massively.

20 years later I’m competing again this weekend and low and behold all I’ve thought about all week is weight, scales, macros and food

By *zeroMan 13 weeks ago

A wretched hive of scum and villainy

It's a ball ache. No consolation but you look incredible OP!

I look in the mirror and pics and often think I look fatter than I am. Especially if I haven't been able to get to the gym for a while. Was obese/very overweight from childhood until my early twenties.

By *ittle. BeaverWoman 13 weeks ago

Launceston

OP and the other men who have spoken up, I just wanted to say how much admiration I have for you to bravely speak up. I think the media would have us think this is mostly a female issue.

I think it's really powerful that you're shining a light on an issue perhaps a lot of men keep to themselves and quietly suffer. Sending you guys x

Sarcasm City

"OP and the other men who have spoken up, I just wanted to say how much admiration I have for you to bravely speak up. I think the media would have us think this is mostly a female issue.

I think it's really powerful that you're shining a light on an issue perhaps a lot of men keep to themselves and quietly suffer. Sending you guys x"

Honestly, really proud of everyone who spoke on this thread about their experiences with BD and it’s been really enlightening to see how it affects so many people in different ways!

By *arkSovereignMan 13 weeks ago

Lancashire

I was literally speaking to my brother about this today so its crazy that theres a thread on here about it. Its really not a great feeling to have, looking in the mirror and pointing out all your faults and really not feeling good about yourself.

For me its usually the stomach and chest area that really bother me because whenever I put on weight, it seems to all go there. Its a difficult one because noone else notices those things and everyone says “you look fine” but you can’t help but always see those faults in yourself.

London

"Oh and I've read Cede's post. Certainly wasn't meaning to trivialise or invalidate your feelings, OP; I know exactly what you're saying!

What we see and what others see can be very different things!

Sorry I didn't mean it to come across badly, I'm lacking in spoons tonight

I just know that when my heads in that space, people saying nice things can sometimes be more confusing but that's me. I know it usually comes from a genuine place and would never think badly of someone trying to help pull someone out of a dark place "

No, I know you didn't..and you didn't. It just made me reflect and I didn't want the OP to think I was being dismissive.

I'll never listen to anyone if I don't want to hear what they're saying so I get that too! Got to love a brain goblin!

By *iz78Woman 13 weeks ago

wirral

As someone who has lost 10 stone in the last 18 months I feel this greatly. I look 8n the mirror and not see any difference at all even though I can feel the difference with my hands and see it on my scales.

» Add a new message to this topic