FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > America want to ban homelessness.

America want to ban homelessness.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man 14 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

I read the news about it and apparently the us supreme court have ruled in a 6-3 vote that cities can ban homeless people from sleeping rough in public spaces, this is the courts most significiant decicion since the 1980s.

The law doesnt criminalise being homemless, but rather it focuses more on the actions taken by individuals rather than their status alone.

What is your view about it and have they thught it through?

I am not sure that they have thought it through, as homlessness in the us is on the rise, due to soaring housing costs to name one fo the reasons, where will they house them and are there space for them as the problem doesnt seem to get better but worse over time? I dont think that you can really ban in totally.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ot to giggleWoman 14 weeks ago

Coventry

Thats great, but where do they put them?

I think it was amazing how during covid homes were located for those on the street.

UK have housing benefit which covers the cost. But there's a distinct lack of housing, there are families living in one hotel room.

Not sure how achievable long term. Would need support for some tobe able to sustain a tenancy

By *partharmonyCouple 14 weeks ago

Ruislip

It sounds like a typical American right-wing policy. No regard for those less fortunate than themselves. No solution. No help. Just ban them from places they can be seen.

It's actually an erosion of civil rights. People are allowed to be in these places. They are just saying they can't do a certain thing in certain places. American Right-wingers like to style themselves as seeking freedom. They just don't like other people's freedom to do things they don't like.

By *hirley147TV/TS 14 weeks ago

Blackpool

They have to money for endless foreign wars, but they can't even house there own people. Like uk spending money on foreigners swarming in every day,who have paid nothing in to this country, but British people on the street. Expect it to worsen under big girls blouse starmer.

By *enSiskoMan 14 weeks ago

Cestus 3

"It sounds like a typical American right-wing policy. No regard for those less fortunate than themselves. No solution. No help. Just ban them from places they can be seen.

It's actually an erosion of civil rights. People are allowed to be in these places. They are just saying they can't do a certain thing in certain places. American Right-wingers like to style themselves as seeking freedom. They just don't like other people's freedom to do things they don't like. "

In Manchester they tried to hide the homeless by taking their tents and arresting them for public disorder, at court the judge threw the case out and ordered the council to pay all costs.

So I believe you have a point about hiding the homeless then they can say there is no issue as the public won't see them.

There is a solution but it would aggrieve the public, as when refugees who come by boat here aggrieves some of us.

By *he KakapoMan 14 weeks ago

A nice rock

Banning homelessness sounds like a fucking great idea. Eradicate it.

Banning the actual homeless however is an indication of how we view these people.

By *rHotNottsMan 14 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Didn’t they do this successfully in New York? It was notorious in the 70s and 80s for homelessness drugs and crime & then they decided completely clean up the city

Cestus 3

"They have to money for endless foreign wars, but they can't even house there own people. Like uk spending money on foreigners swarming in every day,who have paid nothing in to this country, but British people on the street. Expect it to worsen under big girls blouse starmer. "

There is a high number of refugees who have come by boat in particular who now sleep in the street.

See it as a deterrent, like the Rwanda scheme.

"come to Britian and one can sleep in the streets"

By *rRiosMan 14 weeks ago

dublin

Reminded me a bit of A Modest Proposal by Johnathon Swift

[Removed by poster at 01/07/24 11:01:12]

By *ophieslutTV/TS 14 weeks ago

Central

It's only as good as the state safety net is. Sounds very wrong to me but after the overturned Roe decision, I'm not too surprised with a right-wing leaning court, which doesn't truly represent real people and their lives

"Thats great, but where do they put them?

I think it was amazing how during covid homes were located for those on the street.

UK have housing benefit which covers the cost. But there's a distinct lack of housing, there are families living in one hotel room.

Not sure how achievable long term. Would need support for some tobe able to sustain a tenancy"

Hi gottogiggle, yes, you are right there about where would they put them, yes, it was amazing how during covid times homes were located for them, those are also good points too

Cestus 3

"Reminded me a bit of A Modest Proposal by Johnathon Swift "

I hear it is already happening.

By *r X46Man 14 weeks ago

Liverpool

The fact that Trump, a rapist and convicted felon, could be the next president tells you how fucked they are as a country.

If he loses he will incite violence and try to take the presidency by force.

By *ansoffateMan 14 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

How does that work exactly? If someone has fell asleep exhausted how do you ban them? What intervention will change the reality that people need to sleep, whether they have homes or not?

I have limited experience of being homeless, but what I can say is that you spend a lot of effort trying to find the safest warmest dryest spot - you tend to try and stay awake as long as possible until you collapse. It's quite shit it really is and when I see people who've adjusted to that it makes me pretty sad.

I don't think banning people from basic human functions like sleep or existing is morally appropriate.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS 14 weeks ago

Stockport

"How does that work exactly? If someone has fell asleep exhausted how do you ban them? What intervention will change the reality that people need to sleep, whether they have homes or not?

I have limited experience of being homeless, but what I can say is that you spend a lot of effort trying to find the safest warmest dryest spot - you tend to try and stay awake as long as possible until you collapse. It's quite shit it really is and when I see people who've adjusted to that it makes me pretty sad.

I don't think banning people from basic human functions like sleep or existing is morally appropriate."

The actual intention of people who advocate laws like this is to ban the homeless from living...

By *ansoffateMan 14 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

"How does that work exactly? If someone has fell asleep exhausted how do you ban them? What intervention will change the reality that people need to sleep, whether they have homes or not?

I don't think banning people from basic human functions like sleep or existing is morally appropriate.

The actual intention of people who advocate laws like this is to ban the homeless from living..."

Then I am opposed on the most fundamental ethical principles

"It sounds like a typical American right-wing policy. No regard for those less fortunate than themselves. No solution. No help. Just ban them from places they can be seen.

It's actually an erosion of civil rights. People are allowed to be in these places. They are just saying they can't do a certain thing in certain places. American Right-wingers like to style themselves as seeking freedom. They just don't like other people's freedom to do things they don't like. "

Yes, you are right there, those are also good points too

By *oubleswing2019Man 14 weeks ago

Colchester

I believe viewing the American proposal through the lens of something else will help cut through socially conditioned thoughts such as "Druggies. They deserve it. Criminals. Got what was coming to them. Lowlifes. Scum of the earth." Put all that aside for just one moment, whatever your preconceptions.

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs looks at all the fundamental things we all require as humans.

The first tier, the absolute bottom rung of the hierarchy that everything else rests upon is the following.

PHYSIOLOGICAL NEEDS (Water, Sleep, Food, Shelter, Clothes).

Viewed through that lens, denying shelter is more than just denying a fundamental human requirement. It is denying their Humanity. Their very basic human existence.

Denying any of these things will cause abject and wilful harm / death.

Viewed with this lens, it is clear that the court are sanctioning harm upon their citizenry. It may only be a narrow segment of their citizens, but that makes it even worse because it is targeted.

I think we can all come to mind of many other such occasions in history, current or otherwise, where targeted harm has been directed at certain groups.

This is the "dark underbelly" of "gentrification", and it goes by many names. I prefer (though I would rather wish I didn't have to), the term "Cleansing".

By (user no longer on site) 14 weeks ago

The USA’s ban on homelessness, which makes it easier for communities nationwide to fine, or arrest people living unsheltered, is honestly sad.

As a society, those lawmakers have determined even when there is no adequate shelter available, housing is not a human right.

I understand the idea of homeless encampments causing civil distress, unrest, affecting cities, etc. but to “tackle” homelessness with criminality and enforcing penalties makes homelessness worse. This will certainly cost local governments a lot of money that should otherwise be spent on housing, supportive services, and street outreach.

If only the USA was able to see the solution for homelessness: housing, and supportive services needed to help people stabilise themselves in housing. In my opinion, housing those experiencing homelessness could be sen as ann investment that benefit the entire community, not just folks who are experiencing homelessness.

For the Land of Free, their freedoms are becoming less and less daily.

By (user no longer on site) 14 weeks ago

They should bring back a natural flora and fauna - plants and wildlife, stop burning down all the forests and polluting all the rivers, and stop preventing people from hunting, fishing, collecting rain water etc and then everyone would have an abundance... Or would that make too much sense.

"The USA’s ban on homelessness, which makes it easier for communities nationwide to fine, or arrest people living unsheltered, is honestly sad.

As a society, those lawmakers have determined even when there is no adequate shelter available, housing is not a human right.

I understand the idea of homeless encampments causing civil distress, unrest, affecting cities, etc. but to “tackle” homelessness with criminality and enforcing penalties makes homelessness worse. This will certainly cost local governments a lot of money that should otherwise be spent on housing, supportive services, and street outreach.

If only the USA was able to see the solution for homelessness: housing, and supportive services needed to help people stabilise themselves in housing. In my opinion, housing those experiencing homelessness could be sen as ann investment that benefit the entire community, not just folks who are experiencing homelessness.

For the Land of Free, their freedoms are becoming less and less daily. "

Yes, you are right there, it could been seen as an investment to help them, those are also good points too

By *ookingforfunin2021Man 14 weeks ago

liverpool

I went to Hawaii a couple of years ago and their was homeless people everywhere, which I thought was strange as it’s an island thousands of miles from anywhere. That was until I learned they send homeless people from New York City there as they don’t have to worry about them freezing to death on the streets of Hawaii

» Add a new message to this topic