FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What do you...

What do you...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ickyKlungespeare OP   Man 4 days ago

St Leonards

....think the last 5-ish days before the GE will feel like?

I don't mean in the obviously political sense (or I'd post this under "Politics").

I mean the vibe, the "geist", the general moods you're picking up on?

Tetchy, relaxed, holding breath, celebration, fear, ennui, apathy, lethargy, excitement etc.

Have you already noticed any particular vibes?

That's all.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *allandathleticMan 4 days ago

Asgard

It'll be tense and tetchy.

I couldn't care less. They all lie. They all sell tall tales.

I won't be voting.

Shit I won't even be in the country

By *a LunaWoman 4 days ago

Wales

Apathy. Lethargy.

A feeling that not one political party is a better option than the other really, but that they’ll just have to do.

It’s pretty miserable.

By *urry BlokeMan 4 days ago

I don't think a lot of people care

The amount of apathy out there these days simply stuns me

The apathy in this country is part of the reason we're in this mess

By *oyoteUglyWoman 4 days ago

somewhere

I live in a quiet little village and someone has been spotted defacing some reform party posters.

I have my fingers crossed for an all out riot.

By *restonguy1981Man 4 days ago

preston

Viva la revolution

By *ulieAndBeefCouple 4 days ago

Manchester-ish

I've already done my postal vote. We're in a swing seat so it felt necessary. I pretty much avoid the news now so I'm hoping I can also avoid the vibes.

J

By *reeSpiritElleWoman 4 days ago

Near the Beach

Where I live there's a mix of apathy and despair. Most are going with a tactical vote just to get the Tories out, but it won't change anything, anytime soon. And by that I mean years, decades even

By *r John WickMan 4 days ago

The Continental

I’m picking nothing up.

Until you mentioned it, I’d forgot it was happening. I’m glad you reminded me though. Id have been getting up early to take Mini Wick to school otherwise.

I’m hugely indifferent and will just close my eyes and ears to the noise.

By *ittlebirdWoman 4 days ago

The Big Smoke

No idea. Stopped watching the news after Donald Trump said it was safe to drink bleach

My life is soooo much better without news.

And I’ve already voted

By *avinaTVTV/TS 4 days ago

Transsexual Transylvania

There's little excitement around here, despite the fact that it looks very likely that the local Lib Dem candidate may well oust the Tory. I think there's a sense of resignation generally, that whoever's in charge, things have an inertia, and they're unlikely to see much improvement. People seem apathetic, and there's a pervasive distrust of the political class.

Meanwhile, I've seen one Tory poster, up, and received one Tory flyer in my postbox; whereas there are Lib Dem "Winning here" placards everywhere, and I've had a steady stream of LD election material in the post.

I'm voting Green.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman 4 days ago

little house on the praire

Couldn't care less about it. I'm not picking up any vibes. It's easy to ignore

By *avinaTVTV/TS 4 days ago

Transsexual Transylvania

Amaaaandla!

By *ansoffateMan 4 days ago

Sagittarius A

You could cut through the tension with a knife.

The passion simmering. Millions of politically informed and empowered citizens all ready to contribute to the future of the country by expressing their views through the democratic process.

I can barely contain my excitement at the prospect of a new leader to guide us into the utopian promised land of almond milk and sugar-free honey.

By *kphooeyMan 4 days ago

Finchley

I look forward to feeling as happy as I did in 97, but given the constraints imposed by the last 14 years, I think change is unlikely.

I look forward to JRM, Truss, Claverley and Hint having their assessment whipped.

By *ittlebirdWoman 4 days ago

The Big Smoke

"You could cut through the tension with a knife.

The passion simmering. Millions of politically informed and empowered citizens all ready to contribute to the future of the country by expressing their views through the democratic process.

I can barely contain my excitement at the prospect of a new leader to guide us into the utopian promised land of almond milk and sugar-free honey."

Have I got to get the hamsters and salad cream out again?

By *kphooeyMan 4 days ago

Finchley

"I look forward to feeling as happy as I did in 97, but given the constraints imposed by the last 14 years, I think change is unlikely.

I look forward to JRM, Truss, Claverley and Hint*** having their assessment whipped.

"

Hunt not Hint, and spelt with a 'C'

By *melia DominaTV/TS 4 days ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

As an individual from sunny Scotland, I know my best option is not to be run by Westminster.

Nothing to do with party choice.

Just I know my vote would count for more in the long term and we'd have more of a chance if we ran our own country without the bank of mum and dad at Westminster holding the purse strings!!

By *ophieslutTV/TS 4 days ago

Central

People have been ground down for many years. And the clueless PM forced - wrongly - 6 weeks of us being ground down by the election. There's discomfort and boredom around, with most people eager for it to end

By *midnight-Woman 4 days ago

I've already voted... Will be consumed by work next week, so will be blissfully unaware

By *igR93Man 4 days ago

Sarcasm City

Couldn’t give a shiny shite

A famous phrase from a well known tv show that’s still dear to my heart today

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 4 days ago

BRIDPORT

"Apathy. Lethargy.

A feeling that not one political party is a better option than the other really, but that they’ll just have to do.

It’s pretty miserable.

"

Pretty much sums it up I think, won’t actually be bothering with it this time.

By *ickyKlungespeare OP   Man 1 day ago

St Leonards

2 days to go, so bumping.

I've noted how much apathy/distrust/cynicism there is - and think that's much more telling than statements of political/tribal allegiances.

There's a whole "civilisational decay epoch" narrative here - but I'll spare us all that .

By *ivemealadybonerWoman 1 day ago

somewhere

I don't think there is any vibes, few posts on the local FB pages but the one where someone smashed into a lamppost outside Specsavers (I shit you not) garnered more replies than any of the election ones put together

By *lowupdollTV/TS 1 day ago

S. Herts

Haven’t been this excited since I discovered Bob. Skimmed milk that TASTES LIKE SEMI.

Witchcraft.

By *ickshawedCouple 1 day ago

Wolverhampton

For me I'm nervous and excited. I'm worried the polls are wrong, but I'm really hoping they're right. Generally most people don't seem to care. We're the only ones on the road with a Vote *** in our window. I've seen very few others with any signs up. I'm not sure I'll sleep Thursday night as I'll be watching the results come in.

By *illy IdolMan 1 day ago

Midlands

I've not heard much this time round but I miss the silly promises. Last time it was how many trees they'll both plant. What is on trend this election?

By *ondiego85Man 1 day ago

nottingham

Quite excited to see the result.

I’m sorry but I don’t share nor condone people who say they won’t be voting because “they all lie”. This way of thinking inevitably brings extremist forces in power. If you don’t vote, someone else will and you may have some nincompoop in power that has been voted by barely the 20% of the population because you weren’t arsed to go to the polling station.

This obviously mean that you should not complain if you won’t like the politics.

Voting is a right. You shall not give it up. Never.

By *immyinreadingMan 1 day ago

henley on thames

"....think the last 5-ish days before the GE will feel like?

I don't mean in the obviously political sense (or I'd post this under "Politics").

Tetchy, relaxed, holding breath, celebration, fear, ennui, apathy, lethargy, excitement etc.

That's all."

It’s up to you as an individual.

I ignore it and get along with my normal life, so don’t notice any “vibes”, and don’t know what “geist” is.

By *ell GwynnWoman 1 day ago

North Yorkshire

There's a bit of a buzz in the air here. I live in an area that's been blue since forever, but the polls are showing that may not be the case come Thursday. It's never been this tense.

St Leonards

"I've not heard much this time round but I miss the silly promises. Last time it was how many trees they'll both plant. What is on trend this election?"

The major trends I'm picking up on are "Vote Labour. We're a bit less shit than the Tories", and the far-more interesting short/medium term effects of the Tories potentially imploding beyond repair.

That makes space for something further right-wing to emerge, which in turn forces something more left-wing to emerge as well (over a few years).

I'm tempted to go all Hegelian on this...but the short version is all this apathy and chaos combined are creating new forms.

Ugly, pretty, weird, unusual forms.

It's all hyper-stimulating in its consequences, whilst being highly apathetic at the same time.

henley on thames

I’m just back from a holiday in Scotland, and a mate of mine asked me what I sensed up there in relation to the election, what the vibes were, what people were saying.

What I sensed was that the weather wasn’t very warm, the golf, whiskey and scenery were fantastic, and that’s about it.

He thinks I’m mad for not talking politics with everyone I met. I think he’s mad for wanting to waste a holiday talking politics with people.

Each to theme own!

By *illy IdolMan 1 day ago

Midlands

"I've not heard much this time round but I miss the silly promises. Last time it was how many trees they'll both plant. What is on trend this election?

The major trends I'm picking up on are "Vote Labour. We're a bit less shit than the Tories", and the far-more interesting short/medium term effects of the Tories potentially imploding beyond repair.

That makes space for something further right-wing to emerge, which in turn forces something more left-wing to emerge as well (over a few years).

I'm tempted to go all Hegelian on this...but the short version is all this apathy and chaos combined are creating new forms.

Ugly, pretty, weird, unusual forms.

It's all hyper-stimulating in its consequences, whilst being highly apathetic at the same time."

Reform party out in force in St Leonards?

By *ackformore100Man 1 day ago

Tin town

"....think the last 5-ish days before the GE will feel like?

That's all."

Of all the elections I've experienced.. This one had nobody I trust with my vote, no policies, not a single policy I trust them to honour or be capable to deliver. It's quite scary. I feel for our younger generation who generally seem disengaged or poorly informed about it's significance and just as likely to vote for love island as a politician. So to answer your post... I'll be anxious, tetchy and concerned that nobody is anything close to earning my vote and yet I must vote.

By *AYENCouple 1 day ago

Lincolnshire

I've seen the Labour promotional vid on YT - more houses, cheaper energy, more police etc. etc. I haven't seen any from the Tories - but I expect it will contain similar lies.

Whilst our politicians are mostly career politicians I don't suppose much will change. K.

By *aM 689Man 1 day ago

Lanarkshire

Being in Scotland, I'm finding it a difficult decision to make. Obviously the Tories are pretty much non-existant up here and I cant see that changing.

Personally, I favour independence (not in an anti-English/UK way, thats a whole other conversation) but I think the SNP, who have been pretty much unopposed for the last 10+ years, are a shambles and blame Westminster for their ineptitude when in reality our health, education, justice, social care etc. have been ruined with them in power.

In saying all that, there is no alternative up here as the SNP are the only viable option towards independence, so for me, its a bit of a catch 22.

St Leonards

"I've seen the Labour promotional vid on YT - more houses, cheaper energy, more police etc. etc. I haven't seen any from the Tories - but I expect it will contain similar lies.

Whilst our politicians are mostly career politicians I don't suppose much will change. K.

"

You see, I'm looking at this through a psychological, behavioural, and historical lens (great upheavals).

In essence, I agree that nothing will change much on the surface. A bit better, but only a bit.

The bigger problem is that we are in an epoch that is changing (beneath the surface) in a way we haven't really been through for centuries.

So the underlying tremors are all about change (nothing but change - enormous change), but our answers are either "not changing" (business as usual with Starmer, but a bit less "mad" than the last 8 years), or the madness we have exhibited in the last decade, which seems like the wrong sort of mad to grapple with the different sort of mad underlying everything.

This election is just one event from within a whole series of unfurling chaos.

Apathy masks the chaos, but the chaos is the only constant, and won't exhaust itself for many decades before establishing a new equilibrium (which itself always contains seeds of future chaos, but much more beneath the surface after an equilibrium is established).

By *ot to giggleWoman 1 day ago

Coventry

well I suppose it could be worse and we could have Trump or Biden to choose from!

no idea - the local reform leader looks like he should be with Worzel Gummage and Aunt Sally! The local Labour candidate, well I havent had much hope in them from when I asked if they could help with the ASB and was told 'it would ruin our electoral profile'

My kid wants to vote blue because the Tory guy's son is pretty hot and she went to school with him! see reasoning there !!

maybe just go and tick them all

St Leonards

Anyway - thank you to everyone for commenting.

As an interesting aside, and I think it shows how the underlying trends are a bit beyond our consciousness, when we went "right", and it's been shit, France went "centre", and that's been shit too.

It looks like we're about to go "centre", and France is about to go "right".

We're both wearing the Emperor's New Clothes, and that creates the space for more extreme politics to enter.

So, my belief is we'll be centre for a decade. It won't work well enough. Scotland and NI will be leaving some time around then/20 years max. England will go Farage++ (maybe some new, more savvy right wing pin-up), that'll fuck up in turn, and in 3 or 4 decades the madness will finally exhaust itself.

But what replaces it will be something very unusual.

Crazy times ahead....which is even more odd because of our ennui and apathy in that process (if you want to depth analyse - ennui and apathy are actually motive forces feeding craziness - they leave an enormous hole that something needs to fill).

By *ealitybitesMan 1 day ago

Belfast

As someone who is born and bred in Northern Ireland and been through decades of tribal politics I am completely uninterested in the general election and all forms of politics.

The only thing I have any interest in is how much my rates are, are the bins emptied on the correct day and why aren't the potholes being filled?

Anything beyond that is irrelevant because I have been numbed by years of inaction and dick measuring by people claiming to represent the people when in reality they have only ever represented their own personal interests.

I haven't had a single candidate at my door which is fine because I wouldn't be chatting to them anyway and not one of them turned up to any of the meetings over the last couple of years about a major environmental disaster waiting to happen right on my doorstep that could involve loss of life.

I will go to the polling station on Thursday and put an x somewhere on the paper if I vaguely recognise any of the names and feel they have been proactive locally. If not I'll spoil it.

henley on thames

Our local reform candidate is a man I have known for 20 years. Never says anything outright racist, but brings race and nationality into everything, it’s always there, always an undercurrent, and comments about “foreigners”. As a “foreigner” myself he always makes me feel deeply uncomfortable

By *iddlesticksMan 1 day ago

My nan’s spare room.

I think it will feel like squeezing an over ripe easy peeler orange that’s gone a bit mouldy.

By *rHotNottsMan 1 day ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I don’t watch TV, not really noticed it.

Must be very depressing though for those that care about these things, that no matter who wins they don’t have the authority to do what’s needed to change the system to bring about the results needed.

By *icecouple561Couple 1 day ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Uncomfortable.

By *ootyfruityCouple 1 day ago

andover

Literally couldn’t care less, whatever party gets in probably won’t be in long enough to start living up to their promises. I used to follow and vote, but each time, whatever party, still does shit

St Leonards

"Uncomfortable.

"

Yeah. Covers a lot of ground that word, doesn't it x

By *avinaTVTV/TS 1 day ago

Transsexual Transylvania

"Our local reform candidate is a man I have known for 20 years. Never says anything outright racist, but brings race and nationality into everything, it’s always there, always an undercurrent, and comments about “foreigners”. As a “foreigner” myself he always makes me feel deeply uncomfortable "

A BNP canvasser many years ago told my wife we were the "right kind" of immigrant when she pointed out we were foreign immigrants. Reform as just the latest iteration. When they run out pf the "wrong kind" to other, then they'll turn on the "right kind".

Anyway, the lack of Tory effort in this format Tory safe seat is staggering. I'll not be sad if the seat goes LD, but I'm still voting Green.

By *iddlesticksMan 1 day ago

My nan’s spare room.

"Uncomfortable.

Yeah. Covers a lot of ground that word, doesn't it x"

So does acreage.

Transsexual Transylvania

*former Tory safe seat.

St Leonards

"Uncomfortable.

Yeah. Covers a lot of ground that word, doesn't it x

So does acreage. "

And manure .

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Uncomfortable.

Yeah. Covers a lot of ground that word, doesn't it x"

It most certainly does.

Transsexual Transylvania

I get the distinct impression people just want them to hurry up and finish rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, so everyone can get on with their lives.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I get the distinct impression people just want them to hurry up and finish rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, so everyone can get on with their lives. "

yes, me too.

St Leonards

"I get the distinct impression people just want them to hurry up and finish rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, so everyone can get on with their lives.

yes, me too. "

Me 3. Even though we're all on the Titanic with them.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I get the distinct impression people just want them to hurry up and finish rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, so everyone can get on with their lives.

yes, me too.

Me 3. Even though we're all on the Titanic with them."

I'm running up and down the deck looking for a piece of drift wood to cling to

St Leonards

yes, me too.

Me 3. Even though we're all on the Titanic with them.

I'm running up and down the deck looking for a piece of drift wood to cling to"

Big Harold - wood enough for everyone to cling to .

By *2000ManMan 1 day ago

Worthing

Labour landslide. Tories time for a reset. Reform get around 10 seats. Lib Dems 20-30. Mood of country seems to be good but I think that's due to the England footie result! In addition weather will be decent so turnout should be fairly high. I think people just want a change.

By *oo..Woman 1 day ago

Boo's World

Already voted

Tv is off

Not listening to it on the radio

Can't be arsed having conversations about it either or having debates with others.

St Leonards

"Already voted

Tv is off

Can't be arsed having conversations about it either or having debates with others. "

I thought you LOVED a mass debate Boo .

By *oo..Woman 1 day ago

Boo's World

"Already voted

Tv is off

Can't be arsed having conversations about it either or having debates with others.

I thought you LOVED a mass debate Boo ."

Not on this subject no

St Leonards

"Already voted

Tv is off

Not on this subject no "

MP Bukkake?

30 of Westminster's "finest" unloading on Boo's tits and torso?

No?

Why not? xxxx

By *cotsguyyMan 1 day ago

Belfast

Turned very childish now.

By *oo..Woman 1 day ago

Boo's World

"Already voted

Tv is off

Not on this subject no

MP Bukkake?

30 of Westminster's "finest" unloading on Boo's tits and torso?

No?

Why not? xxxx"

Shouldn't this be in the politics section anyway?

And it's a no for the above idea

By *ickyKlungespeare OP   Man 23 hours ago

St Leonards

"Turned very childish now."

Well you started it .

And Boo - yeah, maybe.

Although I was after "feelings" about change more than the obviously party political stuff...which I put in the opener.

If it gets moved by the mods, I couldn't be too upset.

By *angerouslemaisonsMan 23 hours ago

Peterborough

It’ll feel like every other day because most people don’t have the time to care or the will to engage

By *atnip make me purrWoman 22 hours ago

Reading

My neighbour is standing for the green party but stands no chance against the very very safe labour incumbent. He got his bike tyres and car tyres slashed.

By *ickyKlungespeare OP   Man 22 hours ago

St Leonards

"My neighbour is standing for the green party but stands no chance against the very very safe labour incumbent. He got his bike tyres and car tyres slashed."

That's pretty grim.

By *lowupdollTV/TS 22 hours ago

S. Herts

Anyone who can’t be bothered to vote how about voting for someone else? Vote for disabled people, elderly who can’t afford heat, lgbtq, people fleeing torture and death, people who lost loved ones while the tories partied, people relying on food banks, for your wife/sister/daughter who would like more police to feel safer living their lives, or just for people who think allowing everyone sone basic fucking human decency and a life of dignity is the job of government. It doesn’t have to be about which politics you believe, it can be about standing up for others.

By *ackformore100Man 21 hours ago

Tin town

"It’ll feel like every other day because most people don’t have the time to care or the will to engage "
not sure that's true. I think finally a lot of people care very much about the people who get the privelage to form a government on our behalf

By *ackformore100Man 21 hours ago

Tin town

"It’ll feel like every other day because most people don’t have the time to care or the will to engage not sure that's true. I think finally a lot of people care very much about the people who get the privelage to form a government on our behalf "

And if people don't care and can't be bothered to take some time and understand, then they really can't complain when they get something they don't like.

By *4bimMan 20 hours ago

Farnborough Hampshire

Heading for a low turn out?

By *agatoXXXMan 19 hours ago

Carol Vorderman's underwear drawer.

It's just as boring and tedious as the previous 5 weeks.

I'm so interested, I'll even prepared to wait til Friday to see all the "Portillo" moments on the news.

By *avinaTVTV/TS 17 hours ago

Transsexual Transylvania

"My neighbour is standing for the green party but stands no chance against the very very safe labour incumbent. He got his bike tyres and car tyres slashed."

That's absolutely despicable.

» Add a new message to this topic