FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Disabled Left on the Runway

Disabled Left on the Runway

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man 10 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Reports that an easyJet flight from Belfast, famous for selling the best Guinness, left three people in wheelchairs at the bottom of the aircraft stairs and after a wave from the pilot took off taking the luggage with them. They had been checked in, baggage loaded and left on the taxiway. Should this be happening in 2024. Is all over the news

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 10 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

Definitely should not have been left on the runway like that, they should have been returned to left luggage dept at the very least.

By *odgerMooreMan 10 weeks ago

Carlisle

"Definitely should not have been left on the runway like that, they should have been returned to left luggage dept at the very least. "

I laughed too much and also deeply disapprove in equal measures!!

By *olgateMan 10 weeks ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

Someone didn’t do the headcount

By *lynJMan 10 weeks ago

Morden

"Someone didn’t do the headcount "

Or even notice them on the runway when the plane was pushed back.

By *ools and the brainCouple 10 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

That's piss poor, surely they should have been first on first off.

By *r John WickMan 10 weeks ago

The Continental

That’s what happens when airlines don’t deal with special assistance directly.

It’s handed off to airport handling agents. They’re the weak links, and cause total clusterfucks.

By *ichaelangelaCouple 10 weeks ago

notts

or ask them to move out the way when they moved the steps away

By * and R cple4Couple 10 weeks ago

swansea

That's almost as annoying as when a bus driver sees you running for a bus and just drives away ..

By *ools and the brainCouple 10 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

My parents actually left me in a motorway services when I was a kid, dad was fueling mum went in to pay I climbed out, sisters asleep I wanted a wee wee.

Got back " car gone" this was in the 70's.

They didn't realise for a good hour, meanwhile I'm getting a free knickerbocker glory from the lady in the Wimpy who felt sorry for me

Chelmsford

"My parents actually left me in a motorway services when I was a kid, dad was fueling mum went in to pay I climbed out, sisters asleep I wanted a wee wee.

Got back " car gone" this was in the 70's.

They didn't realise for a good hour, meanwhile I'm getting a free knickerbocker glory from the lady in the Wimpy who felt sorry for me "

Are you certain you got the same parents back,?

By *immyinreadingMan 10 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Reports that an easyJet flight from Belfast, famous for selling the best Guinness, left three people in wheelchairs at the bottom of the aircraft stairs and after a wave from the pilot took off taking the luggage with them. They had been checked in, baggage loaded and left on the taxiway. Should this be happening in 2024. Is all over the news"

Belfast does not have the best Guinness. Dublin does … for obvious reasons

Chelmsford

"Reports that an easyJet flight from Belfast, famous for selling the best Guinness, left three people in wheelchairs at the bottom of the aircraft stairs and after a wave from the pilot took off taking the luggage with them. They had been checked in, baggage loaded and left on the taxiway. Should this be happening in 2024. Is all over the news

Belfast does not have the best Guinness. Dublin does … for obvious reasons "

Belfast for Tom..

By *eebl6666Man 10 weeks ago

castlebar

"Definitely should not have been left on the runway like that, they should have been returned to left luggage dept at the very least. "

Wud the jet wash not have pushed them back to the building

henley on thames

"Reports that an easyJet flight from Belfast, famous for selling the best Guinness, left three people in wheelchairs at the bottom of the aircraft stairs and after a wave from the pilot took off taking the luggage with them. They had been checked in, baggage loaded and left on the taxiway. Should this be happening in 2024. Is all over the news

Belfast does not have the best Guinness. Dublin does … for obvious reasons

Belfast for Tom.."

That’s fine with me! I’ll stick with Dublin … it’s always sweeter at the source

By *ust RachelTV/TS 10 weeks ago

Horsham

That would trigger a high risk investigation.

Would not like to be the ground handler for that incident.

By *inky_couple2020Couple 10 weeks ago

North West

"That's piss poor, surely they should have been first on first off.

"

This almost never happens. It never EVER happens at a UK airport.

Even chances in the Netherlands.

Pretty decent chances in Spain.

UK airports are incompetent fuckwits at "assistance". I've only got on/off via the aid of pilots and other passengers before now. Only ever in the UK though. In other countries, they have functional assistance systems. The Dutch apologised profusely for having me wait 5 minutes. They were embarrassed. Manchester airport, on the other hand, doesn't give a shit if you board or disembark or not, they're quite happy to do absolutely nothing at all.

By *agnar73Man 10 weeks ago

Glasgow

UK airports are incompetent fuckwits at "assistance". I've only got on/off via the aid of pilots and other passengers before now. Only ever in the UK though. In other countries, they have functional assistance systems. The Dutch apologised profusely for having me wait 5 minutes. They were embarrassed. Manchester airport, on the other hand, doesn't give a shit if you board or disembark or not, they're quite happy to do absolutely nothing at all. "

Jeeez. I saw the videos of how wheelchairs treated last year.

I’m glad in a way, we don’t fly. I just find it a horrible experience

By *orthernJayMan 10 weeks ago

Spalding

UK airports are incompetent fuckwits at "assistance". I've only got on/off via the aid of pilots and other passengers before now. Only ever in the UK though. In other countries, they have functional assistance systems. The Dutch apologised profusely for having me wait 5 minutes. They were embarrassed. Manchester airport, on the other hand, doesn't give a shit if you board or disembark or not, they're quite happy to do absolutely nothing at all. "

Manchester airport is one of the worst globally, it’s an absolute dump, the minute you arrive there’s usually a couple of smelly homeless guys d*unk/asleep on the filthy blue chairs; plenty of abandoned burger rubbish scattered around and that’s before you’ve even checked in.

It’s a national embarrassment, but we shrug and keep paying the extortionate price points for bottled water and a two day old sandwich; welcome to Manchester!

By *wantUallMan 10 weeks ago

Blackburn

HA hahahahahahaaa, what a monumental fuck up, they couldn't have just fucked up a little bit could they? Well I hope EasyJet learn to spot the difference between wheel chairs and baggage carts soon... Well done guys

By *he terrierMan 10 weeks ago

gateshead

Were the fuck did u get that stiry from so hold on there taking onto run way and pmsl so whe the stairs were mived noine noticed them can smell the bulll from here

By *accieMan 10 weeks ago

Liverpool

Bet the were wheelie pissed off

By *eard and TattsCouple 10 weeks ago

Cwmbran

Was it that fat bird who always complains about needing two seats on a plane?

By *neforutoMan 10 weeks ago

Fantasy land in the SW

Having to rely on others to help is shit and unless youve been in this situation, you can never truly know how demeaning the 'special assistance' can be at times.

Chelmsford

"Were the fuck did u get that stiry from so hold on there taking onto run way and pmsl so whe the stairs were mived noine noticed them can smell the bulll from here"

Tom's reports are always based on a true story. He only rarely quotes his source.

By *r John WickMan 10 weeks ago

The Continental

They weren’t left on any taxiway or runway.

They were left at the parking stand.

Spalding

The larger story here (if true), is unaccompanied luggage on the aircraft which is unacceptable; EJ will be heavily fined and warned re their operating licence if they’ve essentially loaded luggage contrary to the manifest and inadequately head counted the souls on board.

By *lynJMan 10 weeks ago

Morden

"Were the fuck did u get that stiry from so hold on there taking onto run way and pmsl so whe the stairs were mived noine noticed them can smell the bulll from here"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c255r4p4d3vo

By *lynJMan 10 weeks ago

Morden

"The larger story here (if true), is unaccompanied luggage on the aircraft which is unacceptable; EJ will be heavily fined and warned re their operating licence if they’ve essentially loaded luggage contrary to the manifest and inadequately head counted the souls on board."

It makes a change from leaving the luggage behind.

By *ivemealadybonerWoman 10 weeks ago

somewhere

To be fair to easy jet, they have launched an investigation, made sure they were taken care of when waiting for their next flight and giving them compensation, which is obviously the bare minimum they can do.

Spalding

"The larger story here (if true), is unaccompanied luggage on the aircraft which is unacceptable; EJ will be heavily fined and warned re their operating licence if they’ve essentially loaded luggage contrary to the manifest and inadequately head counted the souls on board.

It makes a change from leaving the luggage behind."

Post the Lockerbie enquiry, unaccompanied luggage was forbidden on aircraft; that’s essentially what happened to Pan Am 103

Chelmsford

"Were the fuck did u get that stiry from so hold on there taking onto run way and pmsl so whe the stairs were mived noine noticed them can smell the bulll from here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c255r4p4d3vo"

Thank you Glyn, famous for being one of Tom's avid readers.

henley on thames

"Reports that an easyJet flight from Belfast, famous for selling the best Guinness, left three people in wheelchairs at the bottom of the aircraft stairs and after a wave from the pilot took off taking the luggage with them. They had been checked in, baggage loaded and left on the taxiway. Should this be happening in 2024. Is all over the news"

The story I read involved 2 wheelchair users rather than 3.

It’s in the Belfast telegraph.

Chelmsford

It’s in the Belfast telegraph. "

Tom raises you one. But hey, let's not argue over the numbers...

henley on thames

"They weren’t left on any taxiway or runway.

They were left at the parking stand. "

True.”on the tarmac” might have been better wording than “on the runway”

What I really struggle with is that airlines know the number of people who have checked in, do headcount checks, and would have known that 2 passengers who and checked in were not on the plane.

They would also have known that at least one of the passengers had checked in baggage, so there is no way the plane should have taken off.

henley on thames

It’s in the Belfast telegraph.

Tom raises you one. But hey, let's not argue over the numbers..."

I’m not looking to argue with anyone, just establish facts

By *elvet RopeMan 10 weeks ago

by the big field

"Definitely should not have been left on the runway like that, they should have been returned to left luggage dept at the very least.

Wud the jet wash not have pushed them back to the building "

Probably not a jet wash, you'd need at least a mid sized water canon to overcome the inertia of the wheelchair wheels

henley on thames

"Definitely should not have been left on the runway like that, they should have been returned to left luggage dept at the very least.

Probably not a jet wash, you'd need at least a mid sized water canon to overcome the inertia of the wheelchair wheels "

Yes. I’ve read the article and there are no mentions of any form of water-projecting devices

By *8on33Man 10 weeks ago

winfrith

surely that's dangerous the next flight in could potentially get them how can this have happened?

henley on thames

"Reports that an easyJet flight from Belfast, famous for selling the best Guinness, left three people in wheelchairs at the bottom of the aircraft stairs and after a wave from the pilot took off taking the luggage with them. They had been checked in, baggage loaded and left on the taxiway. Should this be happening in 2024. Is all over the newssurely that's dangerous the next flight in could potentially get them how can this have happened?"

What do you mean re “the next flight in … could get them”?

They were abandoned at the gate, at the terminal building … at ground level but very definitely not “on the runway”

North West

"They weren’t left on any taxiway or runway.

They were left at the parking stand.

True.”on the tarmac” might have been better wording than “on the runway”

What I really struggle with is that airlines know the number of people who have checked in, do headcount checks, and would have known that 2 passengers who and checked in were not on the plane.

They would also have known that at least one of the passengers had checked in baggage, so there is no way the plane should have taken off. "

They will happily take off if assistance passengers haven't received assistance to board. It's been said to me several times when I've been sat waiting for the airport assistance people to turn up. The last time, I was aided to board by a KLM pilot and flight crew. Had they not done this, I'd have been left behind. I was told this plainly.

North West

Probably not a jet wash, you'd need at least a mid sized water canon to overcome the inertia of the wheelchair wheels "

You'd need full scale riot cannon to force me back into the airport

North West

On a related note, the following gives you a flavour of the attitude to disability stuff in the general world

I'm currently in a decent sized branch of a large, multinational coffee place, in a large NW town. I was in here last week and found the disabled toilet emergency pull cord had been cut and the transfer bars/frame around the toilet was so loose that it was coming away from the wall and was dangerous. The manager just came to speak to me and said that although the cord has been replaced, the individual who came out to fix all the defects was rude and refused to even touch a repair on the frame. It remains so loose that it cannot be used.

The manager has been lovely, but imagine refusing to fix the toilet frame on a disabled toilet, when that appears to be a part of your job.

Does not surprise me in the slightest.

By *unladforuMan 10 weeks ago

Wigton

Its the usual story of british companies ... a box ticking exercise. So we end up with too few poorly paid bods running round like headless chickens so a few bosses can make a mint andthe company make money ..boxes ticked, customer service doesn't come into it. As someone has said there will have been a stowed (hold) baggage check and a head count, how was a difference not noticed ? Serious offence for airline to have an aircraft flying with unaccompanied baggage ....

By *elvet RopeMan 10 weeks ago

by the big field

Probably not a jet wash, you'd need at least a mid sized water canon to overcome the inertia of the wheelchair wheels

You'd need full scale riot cannon to force me back into the airport "

Didn't Boris buy some? maybe he has them stashed somewhere to trade for his next wife and a knighthood?

North West

You'd need full scale riot cannon to force me back into the airport

Didn't Boris buy some? maybe he has them stashed somewhere to trade for his next wife and a knighthood? "

I think so. Haven't they got that weird blue water in so they can trace you later?!

» Add a new message to this topic