FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > 1000 killed in heatwave

1000 killed in heatwave

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *erryspringer OP   Man 12 weeks ago

Glasgow

Over a thousand people have been killed during the Haaj pilgrimage to Mecca. Temperatures have been hitting over 50 centigrade.

The Indian sub continent has also been experiencing similar conditions.

Will the UK be facing regular 40 degrees soon and how will the NHS cope.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *igR93Man 12 weeks ago

Sarcasm City

Simple answer…

…they won’t

By *ing00Man 12 weeks ago

Kettering Area

Don't know about 40C but certainly warmer weather in general with increasing frequent hot spells, or more rain, perhaps also more intensely.

I don't think Britain handles weather very well as even a little snow seems to cause chaos, Brits don't seem to handle the sun very well, so I'm guessing it would be a struggle adapting to new norms.

By *icecouple561Couple 12 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't know how the NHS will cope.

I do think a lot of people just don't adjust to extremes of weather though.

By *orthernJayMan 12 weeks ago

Canary Wharf

Unfortunately the UK has a culturally embedded mindset of “they will/should take care of me” when it comes to government services such as the NHS; it’s bestowed upon us by previous generations and given taxation is so high, us Brits consider it totally unacceptable when (for example) the NHS fails to take care of us.

Residents of countries who’s daily temperatures regularly reach 30’s and 40’s plus don’t bat an eyelid, take their own precautions and certainly won’t expect the state to help when they don’t drink enough fluids or don’t stay out of direct sun.

The number of sunburnt people you see on UK beaches and walking around burnt post a few days of hot weather demonstrates the lack of personal responsibility.

By *mma29Couple 12 weeks ago

wirral

Jerry jerry jerry Jerry!!!!

By *ing00Man 12 weeks ago

Kettering Area

"Jerry jerry jerry Jerry!!!!"

Haha good one!

By *ust want fun 888Man 12 weeks ago

nearby

Well, it shows that prayer didn’t save those on the pilgrimage

By *ophieslutTV/TS 12 weeks ago

Central

It's tragically sad what has happened to so many.

We'll get more extremes and won't be prepared

Glasgow

"Unfortunately the UK has a culturally embedded mindset of “they will/should take care of me” when it comes to government services such as the NHS; it’s bestowed upon us by previous generations and given taxation is so high, us Brits consider it totally unacceptable when (for example) the NHS fails to take care of us.

Residents of countries who’s daily temperatures regularly reach 30’s and 40’s plus don’t bat an eyelid, take their own precautions and certainly won’t expect the state to help when they don’t drink enough fluids or don’t stay out of direct sun.

The number of sunburnt people you see on UK beaches and walking around burnt post a few days of hot weather demonstrates the lack of personal responsibility."

I think your right. Alcohol is a dehydrator, but most people here think its the thing to do in hot weather.

But q cold beer tastes wonderful on a hot day..

By *arkSovereignMan 12 weeks ago

Lancashire

"Well, it shows that prayer didn’t save those on the pilgrimage"

What a shitty thing to comment.

Canary Wharf

I’m not sure you meant to be offensive, but you are! The pilgrimage is often a lifetime highlight for Muslims, taking many years to finance and many more years waiting in lottery style schemes to be selected.

Canary Wharf

Oh, and if you’re wondering who reported you to admin, it was me and you’re welcome!

By *ust want fun 888Man 12 weeks ago

nearby

"Well, it shows that prayer didn’t save those on the pilgrimage

I’m not sure you meant to be offensive, but you are! The pilgrimage is often a lifetime highlight for Muslims, taking many years to finance and many more years waiting in lottery style schemes to be selected.

"

I’m very sorry, that was a poor attempt and poor taste at a supposed lighthearted joke, I’m very sorry I offended

By *obyn GravesTV/TS 12 weeks ago

1127 walnut avenue

They should have played bingo online instead..

By *iker JackMan 12 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

Many of us holiday in summer to climates with hotter weather including the sub continent.

They have found ways around it for decades or centuries in some cases

The afternoon siesta, start work earlier and finish earlier. Take a break in the afternoon and start again as it cools.

Houses have cooling facilities such as air con or pipes that are buried in the ground bringing in a cooler temperature.

I am lucky enough or unlucky enough to live in an old house. Thick walls. Keep it cool in summer and warm in winter. There’s always been ways to cope

By *hief_Of_AlwaysMan 12 weeks ago

London or Bedford

"Over a thousand people have been killed during the Haaj pilgrimage to Mecca. Temperatures have been hitting over 50 centigrade.

Will the UK be facing regular 40 degrees soon and how will the NHS cope."

Don’t mean to sound a total prick but. That’s the reason my mate took his Hajj in Winter.

That’s the reason another friend of mine often visits his family in Egypt at Christmas.

That’s the reason I’m going to Orlando in Autumn.

ITS HOT!

And remember the heatwave we had a few years back? That said it was a symptom of climate change & we should expect more of them in future.

Well…it hasn’t happened again since….touch wood

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple 12 weeks ago

Southampton

"Unfortunately the UK has a culturally embedded mindset of “they will/should take care of me” when it comes to government services such as the NHS; it’s bestowed upon us by previous generations and given taxation is so high, us Brits consider it totally unacceptable when (for example) the NHS fails to take care of us.

The number of sunburnt people you see on UK beaches and walking around burnt post a few days of hot weather demonstrates the lack of personal responsibility."

100 % ...

By *arlot o scaraWoman 12 weeks ago

Hell

"Over a thousand people have been killed during the Haaj pilgrimage to Mecca. Temperatures have been hitting over 50 centigrade.

Will the UK be facing regular 40 degrees soon and how will the NHS cope.

Don’t mean to sound a total prick but. That’s the reason my mate took his Hajj in Winter.

That’s the reason another friend of mine often visits his family in Egypt at Christmas.

That’s the reason I’m going to Orlando in Autumn.

ITS HOT!

And remember the heatwave we had a few years back? That said it was a symptom of climate change & we should expect more of them in future.

Well…it hasn’t happened again since….touch wood "

It was only in 2022, give it chance

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Previous generations are less likely to rely on the NHS until it's unavoidable.

There are people from all generations who take no personal responsibility for their own well being.

It will take time to adapt to any extremes of heat that come our way simply because we're not used to it. People will get it wrong but we will adapt eventually.

By *8on33Man 12 weeks ago

winfrith

my brother hates extreme cold and extreme heat that's his punishment.

By *ouple24669Couple 12 weeks ago

Aberdeen

"Simple answer…

…they won’t "

You are correct. But it’s only because of peoples stupidity. 40 degree weather isn’t that hard to cope with if you are sensible and adjust your behaviour accordingly…….but people won’t because they are fucking stupid and think they know better and also have no concern whatsoever for the burden their behaviour puts on anyone else.

Simply means the nhs will struggle dealing with preventable stuff when they have plenty to deal with already.

Glasgow

"Simple answer…

…they won’t

You are correct. But it’s only because of peoples stupidity. 40 degree weather isn’t that hard to cope with if you are sensible and adjust your behaviour accordingly…….but people won’t because they are fucking stupid and think they know better and also have no concern whatsoever for the burden their behaviour puts on anyone else.

Simply means the nhs will struggle dealing with preventable stuff when they have plenty to deal with already. "

40 degrees is higher than the national body temperature, so if its 40 degrees in the shade it is difficult to deal with. Your body burs up more energy trying to to stay cool than ot does heating up.

Its why countries with these types of temperatures have siesta in afternoons and working times are very different tou here. Also their buildings are designed to not heat up, while here they are like glass houses.

So unless you have air-conditioning it will massively effect things if it becomes a normal. That in turn would put a strain on people's utility bills and the national grid.

Glasgow

*Natural body temperature, not national.

By *rHotNottsMan 12 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I’m finding it quite hot today what is it 24° !? When I go back to Dubai I will be in the high 40s and it will reach low 50s on days during July and August.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen an ambulance or heard of anyone ever visiting A&E in Dubai, I wouldn’t know where it is even.

People in the UK seem quite daft and need taking care of if anything out the ordinary happens

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 12 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

"

Simply means the nhs will struggle dealing with preventable stuff when they have plenty to deal with already. "

Isn’t the vast majority of what the NHS deals with preventable already

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

Simply means the nhs will struggle dealing with preventable stuff when they have plenty to deal with already.

Isn’t the vast majority of what the NHS deals with preventable already"

I think you hit hypodermic on the head there.

By *ouple24669Couple 12 weeks ago

Aberdeen

"

Isn’t the vast majority of what the NHS deals with preventable already"

yes it is. But my point is there is no need to add to it.

By *midnight-Woman 12 weeks ago

Incredibly sad, i feel so sorry for their loved ones, i know what an important journey this is for many people.

As for the UK, factually, trees vastly reduce the pavement temperature and we should be planting them in preparation.

Those who can afford it, will invest in air conditioning.. Those who can't will toss +turn under fans +damp towels. I hate the heat, already had to sleep with my fan on all night!

Unfortunately the NHS is on a inevitable downward slide to privatisation in my opinion

By *ripfillMan 12 weeks ago

havant

"Incredibly sad, i feel so sorry for their loved ones, i know what an important journey this is for many people.

As for the UK, factually, trees vastly reduce the pavement temperature and we should be planting them in preparation.

Those who can afford it, will invest in air conditioning.. Those who can't will toss +turn under fans +damp towels. I hate the heat, already had to sleep with my fan on all night!

Unfortunately the NHS is on a inevitable downward slide to privatisation in my opinion "

The comment here about trees is accurate it can lower the ground temperature. By as much as 10 - 15 degree centigrade

Sadly personal responsibility via education must become more important in future

I feel v sorry for the loss of life for such an important event for thousands- lost loved ones,

But there appeared to be little state help from what I could see

I may book a holiday in a chiller cabinet in Lidl

It will only get worse as the world further heats up

» Add a new message to this topic