FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Google brain

Google brain

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man 12 weeks ago

Tin town

Do you find that more and more google is doing your thinking for you? And your brain and memory are simply passengers now.? I often see "discussions" on these threads and it's crystal clear that it's Google that has pulled the information together and it's just been copied and pasted. Nothing wrong but its a shame people can't do their thinking for themselves. I know personally I use Google way to much and wonder what the long term consequences are

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 12 weeks ago

I’ll just check with Google for a relative answer to your question OP

By *layfullsamMan 12 weeks ago

Solihull

It’s really sad

Don’t mind if people were to put “I found this on Google” but they post it as if they know weird and random in-depth facts

Same on LinkedIn when people post TikTok videos and don’t credit the op

By *agnar73Man 12 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Do you find that more and more google is doing your thinking for you? And your brain and memory are simply passengers now.? I often see "discussions" on these threads and it's crystal clear that it's Google that has pulled the information together and it's just been copied and pasted. Nothing wrong but it’s a shame people can't do their thinking for themselves. I know personally I use Google way to much and wonder what the long term consequences are "

Copy+Paste I guess.

By *acktopervMan 12 weeks ago

Stourport-On-Severn

Just copy+paste from Google really annoys me when you see it on forums. There is nothing wrong with using Google like you would an encyclopedia, we can't know everything. But to copy+paste and answer just reaffirms how stupid some people are.

By *oodmessMan 12 weeks ago

yumsville

I really hope google hasn't pulled information together on here. If it has it's fucked as fucked and the internet is broke. The nonsense people come up with never fails to inspire

eg. minted bbq pussy and female bukakke

By *icecouple561Couple 12 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

My dad says the internet is turning people in to idiots.

I disagree. People used to regurgitate what Brian down the pub said Google just replaced him.

Very few people were ever original thinkers

By *midnight-Woman 12 weeks ago

I am so dependent on Google it's insane

By *ools and the brainCouple 12 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

"Do you find that more and more google is doing your thinking for you? And your brain and memory are simply passengers now.? I often see "discussions" on these threads and it's crystal clear that it's Google that has pulled the information together and it's just been copied and pasted. Nothing wrong but its a shame people can't do their thinking for themselves. I know personally I use Google way to much and wonder what the long term consequences are "

Well I recently got a new phone and hated it gone straight back to my old Huawei that doesn't have all the AI bollocks trying to predict everything I think about and type.

Samsung can suck my balls and the full Google nonsense that goes with it.

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman 12 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

I'll sometimes Google a definition and post it rather than waste my time writing out what my brain finds obvious and tedious. It's not that I'm trying to appear knowledgeable about things that I'm not.

And, as already mentioned, it's marginally preferable to have things copy and pasted from a traceable source than someone presenting Brian from the pub's crackpot theories as facts

Tin town

"I'll sometimes Google a definition and post it rather than waste my time writing out what my brain finds obvious and tedious. It's not that I'm trying to appear knowledgeable about things that I'm not.

And, as already mentioned, it's marginally preferable to have things copy and pasted from a traceable source than someone presenting Brian from the pub's crackpot theories as facts "

I don't think it's so much about trying to appear knowledgeable. More that two people cutting and pasting stuff from Google seems to now constitute informed intelligent debate. Whereas it's the ability to think for ones self and having the self awareness to appreciate they are not really thinking at all. A great example (but please don't turn this into another virus thread) is the copy and paste of "facts" about the virus and or vaxes. Where people seemed incapable to process their own lived experiences intelligently. Almost as if... I'm not expressing myself very well but for me its more the ability or desire to critically process the facts that seems to be disappearing rather than the gathering of the "facts".

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman 12 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

"I don't think it's so much about trying to appear knowledgeable. More that two people cutting and pasting stuff from Google seems to now constitute informed intelligent debate. Whereas it's the ability to think for ones self and having the self awareness to appreciate they are not really thinking at all. A great example (but please don't turn this into another virus thread) is the copy and paste of "facts" about the virus and or vaxes. Where people seemed incapable to process their own lived experiences intelligently. Almost as if... I'm not expressing myself very well but for me its more the ability or desire to critically process the facts that seems to be disappearing rather than the gathering of the "facts". "

If something is obvious and tedious to me, I'll copy and paste it rather than type it out.

I have notes for a copy paste of why I like tentacle dildos, because I'm not always in the mood to wax lyrical about it. If the subject is obvious and I know that there's a source that explains it better than I could be bothered to at that point, I'll copy and paste it.

If it's a subject I don't know or feel that I understand, then I don't copy and paste it.

By *ittlebirdWoman 12 weeks ago

The Big Smoke

Not for me. I love using my brain

Google is there to check things, find interesting things and generally be a place of reference. It won’t ever replace my love of actually thinking

By (user no longer on site) 12 weeks ago

It’s a handy tool to have for sure!

I usually just cross reference bullshit general knowledge but will never use it for “Dr.Google”

If I sneeze I don’t want the diagnosis that my brain is going to shrink and come out of my penis thanks

By *4bimMan 12 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

use to remember things like phone numbers etc. then smart phones can along and they stored all the information.

googles the same, use to drive with a map. now its there telling you left or right.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

For anyone worried that Google is going to make their brain stop working there's a very easy solution.

By *electableicecreamMan 12 weeks ago

The West

It's interesting to see how many profile bio's are popping up that are clearly written by ChatGPT.

That's literally letting Google do the thinking for you.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"It's interesting to see how many profile bio's are popping up that are clearly written by ChatGPT.

That's literally letting Google do the thinking for you."

I've noticed that.

Tin town

"I don't think it's so much about trying to appear knowledgeable. More that two people cutting and pasting stuff from Google seems to now constitute informed intelligent debate. Whereas it's the ability to think for ones self and having the self awareness to appreciate they are not really thinking at all. A great example (but please don't turn this into another virus thread) is the copy and paste of "facts" about the virus and or vaxes. Where people seemed incapable to process their own lived experiences intelligently. Almost as if... I'm not expressing myself very well but for me its more the ability or desire to critically process the facts that seems to be disappearing rather than the gathering of the "facts".

If something is obvious and tedious to me, I'll copy and paste it rather than type it out.

I have notes for a copy paste of why I like tentacle dildos, because I'm not always in the mood to wax lyrical about it. If the subject is obvious and I know that there's a source that explains it better than I could be bothered to at that point, I'll copy and paste it.

If it's a subject I don't know or feel that I understand, then I don't copy and paste it. "

That's probably what I was trying to say... If you have knowledge of and are able to create your own response you use your brain... If people don't know they copy and paste... So you end up with people who don't know much or can't be arsed to learn, having a debate just copying other peoples facts and thoughts. Which is a strange process to follow. I mean it creates ever more repetition of statements which are presented as a well thought out contribution to a discussion and allows the brain to rest easy and who knows what the consequences of that are for our brains.

The Big Smoke

"use to remember things like phone numbers etc. then smart phones can along and they stored all the information.

googles the same, use to drive with a map. now its there telling you left or right."

But that just frees up more time to think about the important stuff. Google is a good tool to use for those mundane things.

By *essiCouple 12 weeks ago

suffolk

"Not for me. I love using my brain

Google is there to check things, find interesting things and generally be a place of reference. It won’t ever replace my love of actually thinking "

Tin town

I often find I go through a process...

Oh I know what the person did but can't recall it.

I Google it.

Oh of course that's what they did.. I knew that.

But... Not sure what that does to my ability to remember stuff in 10 years time.

The West

To be fair, people cutting and pasting info from web pages into forum discussions isn't new and was all the rage when forums were still called message boards.

By *alandNitaCouple 12 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"Do you find that more and more google is doing your thinking for you? And your brain and memory are simply passengers now.? I often see "discussions" on these threads and it's crystal clear that it's Google that has pulled the information together and it's just been copied and pasted. Nothing wrong but its a shame people can't do their thinking for themselves. I know personally I use Google way to much and wonder what the long term consequences are "

Google is only a search engine, you're still responsible for asking the right questions and choosing the right responses to read. Even when research embassy done with printed sources, it was still easy to choose the wrong ones and mindlessly quote irrelevant trash.

Cal

By *ealitybitesMan 12 weeks ago

Belfast

I only use Google to find stuff I don't already know about.

I've never once quoted anything I've found on here or elsewhere because if I don't have personal experience of it I won't be offering an opinion.

I've been mocked and roasted on the forums at times for refusing to read peer reviewed papers and stats that are easily accessible online.

I've even started threads asking why some people believe that opinions are invalid unless backed up by hard facts and yet most of the people attacking me don't appear to be able to offer a coherent thought that hasn't been googled.

By *lder.Woman 12 weeks ago

Not Local

"I often find I go through a process...

Oh I know what the person did but can't recall it.

I Google it.

Oh of course that's what they did.. I knew that.

But... Not sure what that does to my ability to remember stuff in 10 years time. "

Using google like revision notes. You know the info but just need a memory jog, which is what I do.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman 12 weeks ago

little house on the praire

Think it's obvious I don't use google

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS 12 weeks ago

Stockport

I want to know more about Prey's tentacle dildos, but I'd rather get a personal opinion than ask a google AI that clearly doesn't have the equipment for first person experience (unless I blinked and missed someone inventing a tentacle socket for CPUs...)

By *ansoffateMan 12 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Conceptual understanding and application are more advanced skills than memory recall.

It makes sense on one level for the internet to replace memory function.

However, it appears the major functionality applied is cute kitten memes.

Did you know the pyramids are actually giant cat ears and the rest of the cat monument is still buried underground?

By *allipygousMan 12 weeks ago

Leicester

"It's interesting to see how many profile bio's are popping up that are clearly written by ChatGPT.

That's literally letting Google do the thinking for you."

How can you tell someone has used ChatGPT to create their profile? I've heard of it but have no idea how it works.

The West

How can you tell someone has used ChatGPT to create their profile? I've heard of it but have no idea how it works. "

They all follow a similar pattern and cadence. If you use Gemini or GPT to write a few sample dating bios you'll see it easily enough.

I went down a rabbit hole of creating bios for fictional villains. Sauron and Darth Vader were particularly good.

By *naswingdressWoman 12 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think some people do substitute Google for intellect - or ChatGPT. But it's also clear that those people have a poor grasp on intellect to start with.

Facts are the easy bit (yes, even with the rise in AI garbage, misinformation, etc). It's the logic in the argument, the synthesis, that's the difficult bit. But those who don't know anything about logic, synthesis, etc, can't tell, so they see Googled Facts A and Googled Facts B and can't tell the difference.

By *allipygousMan 12 weeks ago

Leicester

How can you tell someone has used ChatGPT to create their profile? I've heard of it but have no idea how it works.

They all follow a similar pattern and cadence. If you use Gemini or GPT to write a few sample dating bios you'll see it easily enough.

I went down a rabbit hole of creating bios for fictional villains. Sauron and Darth Vader were particularly good."

Sauron and Darth Vader? It now has my interest.

By *iss.Bella.Woman 12 weeks ago

North Wales

Between Google, being a toddler mum and being out of work I feel my brain cells melting away day by day.

I seriously can't wait get back to some normality

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 12 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

I find Google particularly useful for finding out who all the people are who get mentioned on fab, as most are names I seem never to have heard of.

It keeps me current and relevant

By *ad NannaWoman 12 weeks ago

East London

If it's not in my brain I'm not typing it out.

I Google to make sure I'm spelling words correctly, or to make sure my brain hasn't made it up.

By *icolerobbieCouple 12 weeks ago

walsall

Perfect for the hive mind. When everyone seeks their info from the same place, he who controls the information, controls the people.

Tin town

"Do you find that more and more google is doing your thinking for you? And your brain and memory are simply passengers now.? I often see "discussions" on these threads and it's crystal clear that it's Google that has pulled the information together and it's just been copied and pasted. Nothing wrong but its a shame people can't do their thinking for themselves. I know personally I use Google way to much and wonder what the long term consequences are

Google is only a search engine, you're still responsible for asking the right questions and choosing the right responses to read. Even when research embassy done with printed sources, it was still easy to choose the wrong ones and mindlessly quote irrelevant trash.

Cal"

But the Google algorithms are responsible for choosing the responses that are presented and the order in which they are presented. Finance plays a part in what is presented, in what order as "facts". So it's a search engine but it's a search engine with complex and very clever ability to manipulate the "facts" or conclusions that are presented. How many people ever look past the first page of Google search results? Or use a different search engine to ask the same search and be presented with different responses as facts?

The Big Smoke

"Do you find that more and more google is doing your thinking for you? And your brain and memory are simply passengers now.? I often see "discussions" on these threads and it's crystal clear that it's Google that has pulled the information together and it's just been copied and pasted. Nothing wrong but its a shame people can't do their thinking for themselves. I know personally I use Google way to much and wonder what the long term consequences are

Cal

But the Google algorithms are responsible for choosing the responses that are presented and the order in which they are presented. Finance plays a part in what is presented, in what order as "facts". So it's a search engine but it's a search engine with complex and very clever ability to manipulate the "facts" or conclusions that are presented. How many people ever look past the first page of Google search results? Or use a different search engine to ask the same search and be presented with different responses as facts? "

This only applies to sponsored results. So yes you will always see sponsored answers to questions at the top. That’s how they make money. But the other algorithms work on how close a match to the answer can be found on the interweb. Then clearly the reader needs to choose for themselves what they choose to be a reliable source

The West

Cal

But the Google algorithms are responsible for choosing the responses that are presented and the order in which they are presented. Finance plays a part in what is presented, in what order as "facts". So it's a search engine but it's a search engine with complex and very clever ability to manipulate the "facts" or conclusions that are presented. How many people ever look past the first page of Google search results? Or use a different search engine to ask the same search and be presented with different responses as facts?

This only applies to sponsored results. So yes you will always see sponsored answers to questions at the top. That’s how they make money. But the other algorithms work on how close a match to the answer can be found on the interweb. Then clearly the reader needs to choose for themselves what they choose to be a reliable source "

I'm not sure that's true anymore. There's quite a lot of data to show that the quality of Google search results have been declining for quite some time now.

Tin town

Cal

This only applies to sponsored results. So yes you will always see sponsored answers to questions at the top. That’s how they make money. But the other algorithms work on how close a match to the answer can be found on the interweb. Then clearly the reader needs to choose for themselves what they choose to be a reliable source

I'm not sure that's true anymore. There's quite a lot of data to show that the quality of Google search results have been declining for quite some time now."

Well indeed. Not to mention the left wing bias of returned results. I mean I take the point that the searcher has to choose what to believe or make use of. But the op is really simply to so with the use of Google to replace brain use and how we use information to construct a discussion.

By *rHotNottsMan 12 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Cal

I'm not sure that's true anymore. There's quite a lot of data to show that the quality of Google search results have been declining for quite some time now."

The two two primary measures for ordering are page rank and authority. Google aims to be relevant and authoritative. There was talk of using blockchain ledgers to rank on authenticity but I’ve not seen it yet

The West

[Removed by poster at 23/06/24 22:51:17]

The West

"

Well indeed. Not to mention the left wing bias of returned results. I mean I take the point that the searcher has to choose what to believe or make use of. But the op is really simply to so with the use of Google to replace brain use and how we use information to construct a discussion. "

I'm not sure I would agree with your premise that the use of a search engine is replacing brain use.

I would see it rather as freeing up brain capacity as having instant access to all the information in a vast library means not having to memorise everything in that library.

» Add a new message to this topic