FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > •• Cervical Screening / Smear Test, Part ³ ••

•• Cervical Screening / Smear Test, Part ³ ••

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eroLondon OP   Man 5 weeks ago

Mayfair

Lådìes, Nøn-Bínarìes and Persøns of Interest...

Yesterday morning, whilst visiting my GP, I overheard from the distant and acoustically-poor corridor of the health centre that three women were behind on their annual cervical screenings.

I was all too familiar because previously a colleague had also mentioned that she was often late with her reminders, and often slow to react or follow-up on the letter for several reasons: idleness, apathy, hang-ups about her body or just general fear.

Is this common? Do you also feel the same? Are you allowed to take someone with you or be chaperoned during the screening session?

Do you leave it too late?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oyoteUglyWoman 5 weeks ago

somewhere

I leave everything too late. Life gets in the way. Only overdue by a few years though so I'm sure it's all good.

By *ittle Miss TinkerbellWoman 5 weeks ago

your head

Yes, you are allowed to have someone with you. I was late for mine once years ago and had to go through further treatment on that smear. I know me being late didn't cause it but it was scary enough to make sure I always had them on time after that. Had mine a couple of weeks ago, just waiting on the results.

By *carlet SeductionWoman 5 weeks ago

Maidstone

I was late with my last one as we were moving house and changing GP but it's something I do when invited. I've had issues in the past that kind of makes you more keen I think. I wouldn't want to be chaperoned. I had a room full of trainees while I was giving birth with my first. All dignity and nervousness went out the window that very day never to return

By *ell GwynnWoman 5 weeks ago

North Yorkshire

Having had pre-cancerous cells in my late teens/early 20's I never put off making an appointment. I know a few people who do forget or put it off because it's not a pleasant event.

By *edeWoman 5 weeks ago

the abyss

I thought I was late but it turned out I was almost too early! It's so important to get checked when you get the reminders

By *ot to giggleWoman 5 weeks ago

Coventry

ummmm yep always late due to lots of reason, moved area, not in country - last was an absolute nightmare and after a blazing row with the GP and 3 attempts later - errr ill be hard pushed to do another

By *essTTWoman 5 weeks ago

Birmingham

I'm late, I find them really painful so been putting it off for a little while now

By *ulieAndBeefCouple 5 weeks ago

Manchester-ish

I'm on time. Maybe I'm unusual but it doesn't really bother me. Although I'm always unsure whether to leave my socks on.

J

By *ularliWoman 5 weeks ago

worcester

I’ve always been for mine and needed treatment for changes of cells.

Having already had cancer I don’t risk missing important appointments.

I do know a lot of women don’t like going or avoid going because they find it embarrassing.

You are allowed to take someone with you if you want too.

By *iss FuegoWoman 5 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat - Albania

I've posted on this topic before to try to raise awareness. I ignored reminders for 22 years: too busy at work, inconvenient location to go for test etc etc. Lame excuses. When I finally went I had an abnormal smear. A biopsy followed. Was told I was OK. Then told that the extent of my pre-cancerous cells warranted immediate removal. Had an LLETZ two weeks ago. All is looking good but I cannot stress how important it is that all women get tested when prompted. Don't me a feckin stupid muppet like me.

By *uenevereWoman 5 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

I never leave it late and have been know to call my GP if I think it's been a bit too long since my last one.

I'm not self conscious and don't find the procedure uncomfortable.

I am also well aware of the importance of screening.

North Yorkshire

"I'm on time. Maybe I'm unusual but it doesn't really bother me. Although I'm always unsure whether to leave my socks on.

J"

Socks stay on to ensure a speedier exit!

By *mmaleiaWoman 5 weeks ago

East Northamptonshire

Yes, I’m always running behind with it, usually cause I pretend it’s not happening, I know it can save your life, but it’s a shite procedure

By *lderflowerappleWoman 5 weeks ago

North Hampshire

I've always had mine on time - or at least as on time as my GP surgery can actually do them. I had pre-cancerous cells found in my 30s and was treated straight away. I would never have known if I hadn't gone for the screening.

Thankfully there's been no recurrence but I will always make the appointment as soon as the reminder comes through to be on the safe side!

By *amie HantsWoman 5 weeks ago

Atlantis

I lost a friend to cervical cancer when we were 19. She wasn’t old enough for routine screenings so it wasn’t spotted and the symptoms were put down to puberty. I always make a point of going and will always encourage other women to go.

By *ittle Miss TinkerbellWoman 5 weeks ago

your head

"I'm on time. Maybe I'm unusual but it doesn't really bother me. Although I'm always unsure whether to leave my socks on.

J"

I had knee high, fluffy socks on for my last one. I was freezing and left them on

By *ellroseWoman 5 weeks ago

Here

I never leave it late, when I get the reminder text I book it straight away

By *icecouple561Couple 5 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

It is common, a friend of mine who is extremely frank and open about such things has two daughters in their late twenties who refuse to go for theirs.

I used got to promptly but they don't offer them to women of my age

By *ugar kittenWoman 5 weeks ago

home

Far too much of an important test to ignore/put off/delay. Mine are always scheduled in the summer so I can get away with skirt and sandals so only have to take knickers off, I book mine as soon as I get the reminder letter

Manchester-ish

J

Socks stay on to ensure a speedier exit!"

I usually go skirt and flip flops to avoid the dilemma. It feels so weird to have no pants on with socks.

J

By *icecouple561Couple 5 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

J

Socks stay on to ensure a speedier exit!

I usually go skirt and flip flops to avoid the dilemma. It feels so weird to have no pants on with socks.

J"

Yep don't do what I did once adverse boots and tights

By *punk n gushCouple 5 weeks ago

Walmer,

I'm well overdue life has kinder got in the way over the last 12/18 months but to be fair I did hgo once and waited about a month for the results when I phoned up they said the smear test had gone missing

By *ealMissShadyWoman 5 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

I need to book mine, it's overdue, work and life have got in the way but I know I have to get it done having had pre cancerous cells removed a few years ago

By *ookie46Woman 5 weeks ago

Deepest darkest Peru

Had another colposcopy last week my sixth in five years, it was inadequate as hardly any cervix left to examine

Case now going to a MDT meeting in early July then I’ll hear from hospital again

By *emidemiWoman 5 weeks ago

basingstoke

When I first got my letter 3 years ago, I kept putting it off. Had it done last year and didn’t take a chaperone but the woman was so incredibly kind and patient, and held my hand while I had a breakdown after it happened.

I’m not due again for a while, but I’ll still definitely try my best to get it done

By *ivemealadybonerWoman 5 weeks ago

somewhere

Nope, I'm always up to date. I have a smear yearly at the moment due to health issues, I'm due my letter any day for my yearly check up x

By *uxom redCouple 5 weeks ago

Shrewsbury

I'm always good at getting mine, I even ask for them early due to having cervical cancer in the past.

I also badger friends ,work colleagues to get theirs done .

By *sleWightCoupleCouple 5 weeks ago

Ryde

I'm due for my regular one next week. They're no big deal for me, and I usually have a very relaxed natter with the nurse whilst she's carrying it out.

By *elloWoman 5 weeks ago

alpha centauri

I had to have a yearly check after having pre-cancer cells removed so couldn't delay having the test. Now I'm back to every 3 years I will delay by upto a month so I can fit it into my diary.

Never taken a chaperone with me, always enjoy chatting to the nurse, last time I went the nurse said I had a pretty cervix because when you've had treatment and had part of cervix removed and cauterized it's nice and smooth in there

By *sleWightCoupleCouple 5 weeks ago

Ryde

"last time I went the nurse said I had a pretty cervix because when you've had treatment and had part of cervix removed and cauterized it's nice and smooth in there "

Not to play Topps Trumps or anything, but aside from ablation surgery, I was told by the nurse I have a "tilted cervix", which might account for the really intense sensation guys get in there.

By (user no longer on site) 5 weeks ago

I was late for my last one but thankfully all clear. Usually I am on time and along with IUD fittings it is not pleasant but so important...

Ladies don't forget or put it off.

By *rixie_BlondeWoman 5 weeks ago

London (She/ Her)

Something you can’t say in regular company, anyone else find it physically pleasant? Same with transvaginal scans?

Colposcopies with a biopsy and anything iud related, unpleasant, but now they have plastic speculum for smears and not the awful metal ones I have to focus on not showing signs that I’m getting turned on

By *elloWoman 5 weeks ago

alpha centauri

"Something you can’t say in regular company, anyone else find it physically pleasant? Same with transvaginal scans?

Colposcopies with a biopsy and anything iud related, unpleasant, but now they have plastic speculum for smears and not the awful metal ones I have to focus on not showing signs that I’m getting turned on "

Don't find it a complete turn on but there's something about it, I enjoy the chit chat, and the medical play fantasies might surface in my mind

London (She/ Her)

"Something you can’t say in regular company, anyone else find it physically pleasant? Same with transvaginal scans?

Colposcopies with a biopsy and anything iud related, unpleasant, but now they have plastic speculum for smears and not the awful metal ones I have to focus on not showing signs that I’m getting turned on

Don't find it a complete turn on but there's something about it, I enjoy the chit chat, and the medical play fantasies might surface in my mind "

Yeah I have strong medical fantasies after a pair of student drs tried to give me an unnecessary breast exam when I was a teenager in hospital. Turning trauma into kink is fairly standard, right?

By *B69Woman 5 weeks ago

south west

As soon as the reminder comes I always book mine, having it this Saturday, it’s never bothered me having it done, will always tell others not to put it off.

By *nnCeeWoman 5 weeks ago

East Surrey

[Removed by poster at 29/05/24 23:30:39]

By *herry delightWoman 5 weeks ago

Ilfracombe

I get mine done when I have my std check up.

It's so quick and easy and doesn't hurt that you don't need to take anyone with you.

East Surrey

Have always booked pretty much as soon as I could once I'd received the invitation letter.

I can't remember the last time I went, which must mean I'm due for one pretty soon.

I might drop the surgery an email (if such things exist at the one I go to) to see... or just pick up the phone...

I don't relish the idea, but also don't really give a monkeys about having it done. The nurse does goodness knows how many, so it's never the first foof she's been poking at, I'm sure mine is very much the same as all the others, and it's a medical procedure, not sexy time.

By *exySiren01Woman 5 weeks ago

RCT

Don't let life get in the way get it done ladies. I've just got over cervical cancer that was luckily picked up in the early stages from a regular routine smear. Thank god I didn't put off having it done or it could have been a whole lot worse than having to have a hysterectomy

By *aseylee324Couple 5 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

I find smears very uncomfortable, not helped by unpleasant gynecological experiences in the past, but I never delay them. I don't particularly care about medical staff peering into me, I've given birth 3 times.

I was pretty shocked recently when a friend expressed surprise that she was still supposed to be having them (she's 58)

By *uxom redCouple 5 weeks ago

Shrewsbury

Don't find it a complete turn on but there's something about it, I enjoy the chit chat, and the medical play fantasies might surface in my mind

Yeah I have strong medical fantasies after a pair of student drs tried to give me an unnecessary breast exam when I was a teenager in hospital. Turning trauma into kink is fairly standard, right? "

Standard no ,happens yes .

Mayfair

Ye ladies of ethereal resplendence, thank you for these insightful snippets and for your candour.

By *hoirCouple 5 weeks ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

I don't give 2 shits about the nurse getting all up in my business, having had 3 kids come out of there and considering this lifestyle that's the last thing I care about.

Life, however, has many other ideas about what I can or can't do. Today alone I had 3 different appointments for my family. I get pushed to the bottom of the pile

P

By *ehindHerEyesCouple 5 weeks ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

I was late this time but only because I knew I had an appointment with gynae coming up so thought I may as well get all the up in my hoo ha done all in one go rather than multiple appointments. Nor Sally book asap when I get the letter as there's a strong history of female cancers in my family.

Tinder

By *atnip make me purrWoman 5 weeks ago

Reading

"Yes, you are allowed to have someone with you. I was late for mine once years ago and had to go through further treatment on that smear. I know me being late didn't cause it but it was scary enough to make sure I always had them on time after that. Had mine a couple of weeks ago, just waiting on the results. "

Yeah I have to go for a follow up. I'm not worried the chances of it being the big c are small and treatment usually easy. But they are not fun.

Mayfair

"When I first got my letter 3 years ago, I kept putting it off. Had it done last year and didn’t take a chaperone but the woman was so incredibly kind and patient, and held my hand while I had a breakdown after it happened.

I’m not due again for a while, but I’ll still definitely try my best to get it done"

Was your breakdown due to the (uncomfortable/painful) procedure or due to nervousness?

By *liza_13Woman 5 weeks ago

Hamilton

Please get your smears done I put mine off because life got in the way and I got diagnosed with cancer

By *eliWoman 5 weeks ago

I did before. And now I've lost several dear friends to cancer and say fuck it. Is it the most pleasant of experiences? No. I listen to music during it, make sure a smaller speculum is used and remember that there's spotting and cramping after (for me).

The way I see it is I've put up with crappy sex for longer than a minute and that didn't really potentially save my life. If I've found time for that in the past, I can find time now for my smear.

By *ensual_KarmaMan 5 weeks ago

London

[Removed by poster at 30/05/24 17:05:58]

By *ensual_KarmaMan 5 weeks ago

London

Let’s also mention for gents… check your “nuts” and men of a certain age get your prostate checked - make sure the doc uses two fingers if you need a second opinion! I just had a mate who was given the all clear for prostate cancer… so be safe!

By *oydykeWoman 5 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

I had a smear when I was 21 for one of my chronic illnesses and it wasn’t fun at all (tilted uterus probs) and the funniest part of it was me moving and the speculum flying out lol

East Surrey

"I can't remember the last time I went, which must mean I'm due for one pretty soon.

I might drop the surgery an email (if such things exist at the one I go to) to see... or just pick up the phone...

"

Checked back in my phone's diary, and turns out my last appointment was September 2022, so I've over a year to go until the next one.

I also echo the checking your nuts boys, as well as everyone checking their chests for breast cancer (it's rare, but it can affect those with YY chromosomes too!)

Manchester-ish

Get it booked bump.

J

By *omguy4subgirlMan 5 weeks ago

canterbury

Luckily thanks to HPV vaccine being rolled out to girls (why not boys ffs) cervical cancer rates have gone down dramatically.

North Yorkshire

"Luckily thanks to HPV vaccine being rolled out to girls (why not boys ffs) cervical cancer rates have gone down dramatically."

Boys do get the vaccine. Both of my sons have.

Mayfair

"Get it booked bump.

J"

Thank you my dårling.

By *ittlebirdWoman 5 weeks ago

The Big Smoke

Thank you for the reminder. I am LATE with everything thrown at me earlier this year. I’ll get it booked. Stat

London (She/ Her)

"I had a smear when I was 21 for one of my chronic illnesses and it wasn’t fun at all (tilted uterus probs) and the funniest part of it was me moving and the speculum flying out lol "

Ive had that, flew passed the drs face as she shouted, “oh my god!”. Asking them to use a longer speculum has stopped it.

By *olldoll999Woman 5 weeks ago

Barrhead

As someone who does smears this thread pleases me! Keep up the good work, please get your smear when it is due. It honestly can save your life!

X

By *inlingerie1Woman 4 weeks ago

N.Yorkshire

Having had various complications & treatments at one point that lasted years & included many annual smears when I younger, I was quick to follow up when eligible to be invited. They are unpleasant but the concequences of not going can be really scary.

By *injaprincessWoman 3 weeks ago

herehere

Bump

Sorry missed the reboot !!

Please ladies go in for your smear !

By *laytime_13Woman 3 weeks ago

Lincs

J"

Yes. Either way feels odd

By *eroLondon OP   Man 1 week ago

Mayfair

Bumping this for the possessors of quims.

By *arlot o scaraWoman 1 week ago

Hell

I left mine too late once. It’s a very long story but let’s just say I was very, very lucky. I have them yearly now, and I never put them off.

By *undee2Man 1 week ago

Dundee

I heard on the radio this morning that one in three women do not get tested. However, although it will take some years for trials to be completed, there is some improvement on the horizon. Obviously there is a HPV vaccination now, absolutely wonderful news for the kids but for adults, a young lady who had a distressing first experience but happened to be an engineering studying, has designed a device to help. No appointment needed, test done at home, results in 15 minutes.

By *inkyycurvyyWoman 1 week ago

Manchester

I put off having my first one for years as I was shy/embarrassed. Finally did it and it was fine. Have since had an IUD inserted and various other things which made the smear seem like a breeze so it's less of a frightening thing now.

I just remind myself the nurse has seen hundreds of vaginas, she's probably thinking about what to have for tea and it only takes a couple of mins max. Mine is due again around November time I think. It doesn't half come around quickly.

By *exyScientistsCouple 1 week ago

Castlebar

I'm well overdue and I know I should but I really hate it

By *eroLondon OP   Man 1 week ago

Mayfair

"I heard on the radio this morning that one in three women do not get tested. However, although it will take some years for trials to be completed, there is some improvement on the horizon. Obviously there is a HPV vaccination now, absolutely wonderful news for the kids but for adults, a young lady who had a distressing first experience but happened to be an engineering studying, has designed a device to help. No appointment needed, test done at home, results in 15 minutes."

·

Thank you for this dear fellow.

» Add a new message to this topic