FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is mental health a fair reason to be off work?

Is mental health a fair reason to be off work?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    19 weeks ago

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman 19 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

Yes.

By *ittle Miss TinkerbellWoman 19 weeks ago

your head

Yep

By *rgasmatron1970Man 19 weeks ago

Bromley

In certain professions

your head

"In certain professions "

Can I ask why only in certain professions?

By *uxom redCouple 19 weeks ago

Shrewsbury

Yes

By *heBigLibowskiMan 19 weeks ago

Hampshire

With other approriate support - of course.

By *oeBeansMan 19 weeks ago

Derby

Yep, I've never done it even when I've felt like it, but it's absolutely a valid reason.

By *wist my nipplesCouple 19 weeks ago

North East Scotland, mostly

Ill health is ill health. Mental and physical health are inextricably linked.

Mrs TMN x

By *929Man 19 weeks ago

newcastle

It’s not for me to comment as everyone deals different. Whenever I’ve had issues I’ve preferred to be at work as it’s a distraction being in the house is torture when depression/mental health playing up

By *hoirCouple 19 weeks ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

Depends on the mental health reason.

C

By *ad NannaWoman 19 weeks ago

East London

Poor mental health is.

Brain overload can cause many physical problems.

Stress, anxiety, depression, mania, bi polar, and any other issues that come under the umbrella term mental health are as serious and important as heart problems, broken bones, musculoskeletal problems, burst appendix, gallbladder removal etc etc etc, and should be taken as seriously.

"Depends on the mental health reason.

C"

What would not be a good reason

By *atnip make me purrWoman 19 weeks ago

Reading

Totally. I had to take 3 months off once. Noone died.

"Totally. I had to take 3 months off once. Noone died."

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

C

What would not be a good reason"

Faking it for an easy time off.

C

By *octor WhenMan 19 weeks ago

GLASGOW

Absolutely. I would be very interested to hear any arguments to the contrary.

By *eardedman76Man 19 weeks ago

westminster

Yes I believe so. Lost a close friend to suicide whom was suffering silently

By *ot to giggleWoman 19 weeks ago

Coventry

yes with additional support - you take time out for an obvious physical injury - we need to make sure we look after our mental wellbeing as well - its ok not to be ok

By *icecouple561Couple 19 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yes.

Ill health is ill health.

By *ell GwynnWoman 19 weeks ago

North Yorkshire

Of course. Pushing yourself beyond your limits can have terrible consequences, and then you're no good to anyone.

C

C"

Is that mental health?

East London

Poor mental health doesn't care what you do for a living.

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman 19 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

"It’s not for me to comment as everyone deals different. Whenever I’ve had issues I’ve preferred to be at work as it’s a distraction being in the house is torture when depression/mental health playing up"

I'd have preferred to be at work amd not thinking about what was going on when I was signed off for it.

But I would not have been capable of performing my job to a satisfactory standard at that point. My job doesn't put anyone's life at risk granted, but it's even more important for those whose jobs do.

East London

C

C"

Would you do that?

By *ot to giggleWoman 19 weeks ago

Coventry

C

C"

sometimes people fake something to actually hide what is going on - the GP will tell you that as the patient is about to leave the room that is when they will tell you what is actually wrong.

By *wist my nipplesCouple 19 weeks ago

North East Scotland, mostly

C

C"

That’s not a mental health reason then, is it? That’s faking it.

By *ellinever70Woman 19 weeks ago

Ayrshire

Yes

If it's a regular occurrence though, some kind of commitment to addressing the root cause should be agreed

By *rixie_BlondeWoman 19 weeks ago

London (She/Her)

Yes. And to be given early retirement

By *iss.Bella.Woman 19 weeks ago

North Wales

Yes, there should be a lot more consideration for staff members' mental health.

I can see this would have to be backed up with evidence to prevent anyone taking the piss

By (user no longer on site) 19 weeks ago

No get on with it it’s just slacking which is ruining the economy Just worked 7days straight averaging 9hours a day loving the fact I have 2days off bliss

By *ikerdaveMan 19 weeks ago

redcar

Absolutely broken bones heal in time mental health doesn't its absolutely soul destroying i suffer seriously sphicharatist sphicologists and therapy doesn't work for me it just makes situations worse for me am on strong medication to help but it doesn't always have suffered all my life but thankfully have a wonderful family network that looks out for me and 11 grandchildren that give me the will to live. If there's anyone out there that needs to talk rant and shout pm me i understand im here for you

By *ansoffateMan 19 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Yes

Is it treated as such?

Varies

By *imply DeeWoman 19 weeks ago

Wherever

Very fair.

Thinking of you

By *tylebender03Man 19 weeks ago

Manchester

It can be yes

Depends. Is it often? Mental health issues are very common these days. However, personally, I'd take it on a case to case basis. Are they doing anything to help themselves and avoid time off work or are they not? Are they taking medication. Is there other things i need to know as an employer that may help with that?

My experience is this. If you aren't pro active in resolving the problem. It will never get better. Counselling and a healthy lifestyle are very important. That said, mental health is a big umbrella for lots of crap. So one size doesn't always fit all. If an employee were to show a will to resolve their problems and is pro active at it. I would assist as much as i could. If they don't, then there will be no change. As an employer i need to count on my employees. So if they are becoming an issue with no resolution in sight or even on the cards. I'd let HR do their thing according to legislation.

"Depends. Is it often? Mental health issues are very common these days. However, personally, I'd take it on a case to case basis. Are they doing anything to help themselves and avoid time off work or are they not? Are they taking medication. Is there other things i need to know as an employer that may help with that?

My experience is this. If you aren't pro active in resolving the problem. It will never get better. Counselling and a healthy lifestyle are very important. That said, mental health is a big umbrella for lots of crap. So one size doesn't always fit all. If an employee were to show a will to resolve their problems and is pro active at it. I would assist as much as i could. If they don't, then there will be no change. As an employer i need to count on my employees. So if they are becoming an issue with no resolution in sight or even on the cards. I'd let HR do their thing according to legislation. "

what would HR do?

I feel like if you’re diagnosed with a mental health condition and you let your employer know, they can’t fire you *because* of that?

By *ripfillMan 19 weeks ago

havant

Yes - bullying in the work place is awful and I have fought to stamp this out - the outcome for the poor individual is anxiety, nervousness, reclusiveness and even diet not eating issues

Yes in this instance the person needs careful help to restore thier self esteem

I hate bullies … and I help people to stand up to them

By *elliflousCouple 19 weeks ago

North West.

Yes.

If you are broken, it really does not matter what the mechanics are.

your head

"No get on with it it’s just slacking which is ruining the economy Just worked 7days straight averaging 9hours a day loving the fact I have 2days off bliss "

Wow! That's the kind of attitude that stops people speaking up and results in worse situations.

"Depends. Is it often? Mental health issues are very common these days. However, personally, I'd take it on a case to case basis. Are they doing anything to help themselves and avoid time off work or are they not? Are they taking medication. Is there other things i need to know as an employer that may help with that?

My experience is this. If you aren't pro active in resolving the problem. It will never get better. Counselling and a healthy lifestyle are very important. That said, mental health is a big umbrella for lots of crap. So one size doesn't always fit all. If an employee were to show a will to resolve their problems and is pro active at it. I would assist as much as i could. If they don't, then there will be no change. As an employer i need to count on my employees. So if they are becoming an issue with no resolution in sight or even on the cards. I'd let HR do their thing according to legislation. what would HR do?

I feel like if you’re diagnosed with a mental health condition and you let your employer know, they can’t fire you *because* of that? "

I don't think it's a total get out of jail card. Not sure but I'd suspect there is a time limit to how long an employee can be off or how many periods of absence they could have in a given period of time. Long term sick regulations etc. I do think it is reasonable for an employer to be able to dismiss someone if they aren't there most of the time. Not an HR expert obviously

By *luebell888Woman 19 weeks ago

Glasgowish

"No get on with it it’s just slacking which is ruining the economy Just worked 7days straight averaging 9hours a day loving the fact I have 2days off bliss "

Obviously you need to educate yourself Mr. The bloody economy will never be more important than human life.

North Yorkshire

Interesting.

I do hope you don't work yourself to the point of burnout and breakdown. That wouldn't do the economy any good at all.

By *amantha_JadeWoman 19 weeks ago

Newcastle

It’s absolutely a fair reason if the person feels they would benefit from taking some time off - others might prefer to stay at work/keep busy.

My experience is this. If you aren't pro active in resolving the problem. It will never get better. Counselling and a healthy lifestyle are very important. That said, mental health is a big umbrella for lots of crap. So one size doesn't always fit all. If an employee were to show a will to resolve their problems and is pro active at it. I would assist as much as i could. If they don't, then there will be no change. As an employer i need to count on my employees. So if they are becoming an issue with no resolution in sight or even on the cards. I'd let HR do their thing according to legislation. what would HR do?

I feel like if you’re diagnosed with a mental health condition and you let your employer know, they can’t fire you *because* of that? "

Legally,people with mental health issues have the same protection as those with physical illnesses. This means that the company's sickness policy will also apply. In fact, it's part of the employer's duty of care to look after your welfare.

By *ansoffateMan 19 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

There's always ways and means if HR wants to manage someone out of a company. They would need to demonstrate their duty of care was fulfilled first. Offer of counselling through an EAP, offer of reasonable adjustments, medical assessment, phased return etc. There are ways to stall the process, a good union rep can assist with that.

By *ohn69ayrshireMan 19 weeks ago

Irvine

Yes it's a valid reason but I also think people use that card as an easy get out of work no questions asked

By *r Black 85Man 19 weeks ago

nottingham

""

Health is wealth

I once had and absence from work of 18 months due to my mental health. I wasn't rushing back for anyone. I was not returning to work until my mental health was balanced

The best way to get a couple of days off no questions is...diarrhea. it requires no further exploration or explanation. Sorry OP. Completely off topic.

As with physical health there are degrees of mental health. It's not a one size fits all issue.

Many different conditions, so it's not yes/no answer.

I used to be an employer and it's strange how some people's mental health improves just as the sick pay ends.

Some people "swing the lead" with physical and mental conditions. It's always been the case.

That’s why I always make good time to have off working I’m not scared of hard work I keep the wheels turning they’re never burning

By *aulaxd2020TV/TS 19 weeks ago

dudley

I think Covid/long Covid, lockdowns affected a lot of people mentally, I now it did me I’d been in a job I loved 19yrs and company closed down, I have poor physical health and I found a part time job this new employer made my life hell no consideration for my health issues the way I’ve been treated affected me mentally I was signed off sick and continued to work tho to keep the company going and it’s really affected me badly the way I’ve been treated, I believe that work can be very therapeutic but needs to have a sympathetic employer i had almost 3yrs of hell off him, I’ve just recently started another job and all seems much better and I feel I’m being treated better, but I’m under a talking therapy councilor for anxiety and depression which I find helpful

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

C

C

Would you do that?"

I'm a terrible liar so no. I have known friends to fake it for a day off a football or an extra day drinking.

C

Absolutely…

East London

C

C

Would you do that?

I'm a terrible liar so no. I have known friends to fake it for a day off a football or an extra day drinking.

C"

They faked depression or what? for one day off?

By *inky_couple2020Couple 19 weeks ago

North West

Yes of course it's a fair reason to be off, just like any circumstance or condition that causes someone to feel unfit to work.

To everyone saying "so long as it's not being faked," how do you respond to colleagues or employees who cite physical health reasons for absence? Is it "now, Egbert, are you REALLY projectile vomiting every 20mins, or could you just hold it all in and finish that urgent report?" After all, I'm not aware of employers who ask for empirical proof of such things?

Why are mental health issues seen differently?

Mr. Pickle, sending you so much

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

C

C

Would you do that?

C

They faked depression or what? for one day off?"

Panic attacks, suicidal ideation, family drama, depressive episodes or "just having a low day" I've seen it plenty of times working in fast food and those are just the short term ones. Seen plenty of people play awful long term versions.

P

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"Yes of course it's a fair reason to be off, just like any circumstance or condition that causes someone to feel unfit to work.

To everyone saying "so long as it's not being faked," how do you respond to colleagues or employees who cite physical health reasons for absence? Is it "now, Egbert, are you REALLY projectile vomiting every 20mins, or could you just hold it all in and finish that urgent report?" After all, I'm not aware of employers who ask for empirical proof of such things?

Why are mental health issues seen differently?

Mr. Pickle, sending you so much "

Generally speaking those that do fake it tend to brag about it in some way or another and they then make it difficult for those who are actually suffering from mental health issues, because then employers don't know who to believe.

I worked a shift once where 12 people called in sick with various physical or mental ailments, it crippled the workforce for the day. We all pulled double duty and from the sheer volume we knew something was up. It came out the next day they all went to a pool and trampoline party because of the sunshine. That was the worst one but it happened very frequently we picked up the slack from those that couldn't be bothered. I ended up burning out at that job because I was a reliable person - I haven't been able to work since due to mental health difficulties (oh the irony)

P

By *aM 689Man 19 weeks ago

Mordor

Absolutely .. not sure thats a question that needs asked

By *idssissyTV/TS 19 weeks ago

Birmingham

"Ill health is ill health. Mental and physical health are inextricably linked.

Mrs TMN x"

I have always felt physical health was a more acceptable reason to take break from work than mental. But both should be accepted

By *irthandgirthMan 19 weeks ago

Camberley occasionally doncaster

Any manager who doesn't think that mental health issues can be debilitating, or possibly affect quality of work and/or colleagues needs a good shake and possibly slapping with a wet haddock

By *rsKOTCTWoman 19 weeks ago

Leeds

Of course it is, any illness that prevents you doing your job to dull capacity would require time off, physical or mental.

By *orphnStormMan 19 weeks ago

Pontypridd

Yes, though personally I've found myself far less likely to take time off for mental illness in comparison to physical illness.

By *stwo2023Couple 19 weeks ago

Worcester

Not because of your mental health diagnosis but because of the impact it has on your ability to attend work providing they have exhausted all reasonable adjustments etc.

Work is a business and they need you to be able to provide regular and effective service. If your attendance is impacted enough for any medical reasons then they can manage people out provided they do so lawfully.

In my line of work we have very high mental health issues and provide a series of interventions and support but there has to come a time when these are no longer viable and you have to consider if a return to full duties is possible. If not then dismissal is likely.

Evie

By *ellhungvweMan 19 weeks ago

Cheltenham

Is mental health a fair reason to be off work? Yes

Are there fair reasons why a company won’t want to/be able to support someone with mental health being off work? Yes

People being off work for a prolonged period (for whatever issue) can impose real strains on a very small company and can lead to problems for a small team if the company is not able to afford to replace the individual who is off. Not all companies have the cash flow or ability to support employees not being present and hard choices do have to be made when the alternatives are (a) support the employee beyond the bare minimum or (b) cause real hardships to the rest of the team. I would imagine most companies would go for (b) if they had to make a choice.

By *iss.Bella.Woman 19 weeks ago

North Wales

Clearly haven't dealt with mental health issues, lucky you.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple 19 weeks ago

Leeds

Depression is the new bad back.

The mr

It absolutely is in any industry but especially in my online of work where long duration attention and repetitive work are crucial to maintaining a safety critical environment.

As a li e manager, the only proviso I’d put on it though is that I would expect a colleague who is off in such circumstances to be open to treating this ill health in the same way that they would treat any other illness that prevents them from working and that if this becomes a long term thing that prevents them from being able to undertake their duties, we’d have to have the same tough conversation about redeployment or medical retirement as with any other reason that prevents them from being able to do their job long term.

But that’s a worst case scenario and I’d offer all the support I could before that point.

By *hilloutMan 19 weeks ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

I feel like if you’re diagnosed with a mental health condition and you let your employer know, they can’t fire you *because* of that?

Not because of your mental health diagnosis but because of the impact it has on your ability to attend work providing they have exhausted all reasonable adjustments etc.

Work is a business and they need you to be able to provide regular and effective service. If your attendance is impacted enough for any medical reasons then they can manage people out provided they do so lawfully.

In my line of work we have very high mental health issues and provide a series of interventions and support but there has to come a time when these are no longer viable and you have to consider if a return to full duties is possible. If not then dismissal is likely.

Evie "

By *ickyKlungespeareMan 19 weeks ago

St Leonards

I'd turn it on its head.

Is work, as performed for the last two/three centuries, a sufficient reason to limit mental dexterity, and/or negatively impact mental and emotional good health.

Absolutely not.

By *ivemealadybonerWoman 19 weeks ago

somewhere

Yes, absolutely but sometimes it depends on the reason for some I guess? Being at work might be the only coping mechanism to keep them going?

I know when my first marriage ended and I got signed off from work as I was coping looking after people for a living when I couldn't look after myself was a huge relief but on the flip side of that, I was still living in the same house as my ex so it was kinda counter productive, so I had a meeting with my manager who agreed for me to go to another department, I went from a carer to housekeeper, I still saw the residents but I didn't have to work so closely with them and they really helped being able to get out the house for six hours a day away from what was causing my depression.

By *ivemealadybonerWoman 19 weeks ago

somewhere

"Yes, absolutely but sometimes it depends on the reason for some I guess? Being at work might be the only coping mechanism to keep them going?

I know when my first marriage ended and I got signed off from work as I was coping looking after people for a living when I couldn't look after myself was a huge relief but on the flip side of that, I was still living in the same house as my ex so it was kinda counter productive, so I had a meeting with my manager who agreed for me to go to another department, I went from a carer to housekeeper, I still saw the residents but I didn't have to work so closely with them and they really helped being able to get out the house for six hours a day away from what was causing my depression."

That said, I can feel myself slipping back into a dark place currently and that is due to my job, I absolutely love it but we have a manager there is causing everyone a ton of problems, apparently it's being dealt with but I have anxiety at the best of times and work was one of those places I could escape too, put my work face on and I'm a different person, I can feel there slipping away each day, I've had a welfare meeting a few months ago about the way I was feeling but it's just getting worse and worse with this manager, I'm staying in bed alot of the time when I'm not at work, I used to be someone who would get to work early (I do when she's not on shift) but when she's there I physically have to stop myself getting dressed until moments before I walk out the door because i know if i got there early when shes on, ill be even worse state.

Sorry for the ramble

By *ambertMan 19 weeks ago

Cheltenham

Absolutely.

Nothing impressive about letting a job destroy you.

By *idnight RamblerMan 19 weeks ago

Pershore

There's a spectrum isn't there? At the milder end of the spectrum there's no justification to be off work, any more than there is with a sprained toe.

By *reggSausageMan 19 weeks ago

derby

The bigger question should be why does work dominate our lives in such a way that is all that we do, it’s all people are, literally what’s your name and what do you do for a living? How many conversations have you had where this is the introduction, not do you have children, have you traveled, are you educated, work is not an achievement, it’s a sacrifice of your time for money and it has skewed society into thinking if you are on the ladder then that’s better because now you can own or look like you own nicer things when in reality you are giving your time and in time knowledge on the job to line your bosses pockets or worse still a shareholder who doesn’t give a monkeys about you doesn’t even know your name your situation anything they are just in a position to invest in the company you work for and now they own you, you think that’s a bit extreme ? Then look at it this way I’m an investor in the company I work for, not told anyone this but I own shares, every year I get a dividend which is essentially my portion of profit, in that dividend is a report of what’s happened and what’s planned, at no point does this correlate to what I do as a lowly employee, they will talk about values, people, like we are assets but when I arrive at work every day it’s get the job done regardless of how hard it is.

When you go to a funeral, someone will read out what you did for a living, where you worked like it’s important, it is not, in your heart you know this, so why wouldn’t you take time out for you, your mental health, because the company you work for, do not give a shit in the long run, your manager might care, but does his manager and so on?

By *weetCherryWoman 19 weeks ago

London

Of course

Recently had to for a bit of time and I am very thankful to have an understanding employer and manager

By *9alMan 19 weeks ago

Bridgend

"As with physical health there are degrees of mental health. It's not a one size fits all issue.

Many different conditions, so it's not yes/no answer.

I used to be an employer and it's strange how some people's mental health improves just as the sick pay ends.

Some people "swing the lead" with physical and mental conditions. It's always been the case."

it can be hard on work colleges if someone is often off sick for whatever reason & they are expected obliged to pick up extra work

By *rHotNottsMan 19 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"The bigger question should be why does work dominate our lives in such a way that is all that we do, it’s all people are, literally what’s your name and what do you do for a living? How many conversations have you had where this is the introduction, not do you have children, have you traveled, are you educated, work is not an achievement, it’s a sacrifice of your time for money and it has skewed society into thinking if you are on the ladder then that’s better because now you can own or look like you own nicer things when in reality you are giving your time and in time knowledge on the job to line your bosses pockets or worse still a shareholder who doesn’t give a monkeys about you doesn’t even know your name your situation anything they are just in a position to invest in the company you work for and now they own you, you think that’s a bit extreme ? Then look at it this way I’m an investor in the company I work for, not told anyone this but I own shares, every year I get a dividend which is essentially my portion of profit, in that dividend is a report of what’s happened and what’s planned, at no point does this correlate to what I do as a lowly employee, they will talk about values, people, like we are assets but when I arrive at work every day it’s get the job done regardless of how hard it is.

When you go to a funeral, someone will read out what you did for a living, where you worked like it’s important, it is not, in your heart you know this, so why wouldn’t you take time out for you, your mental health, because the company you work for, do not give a shit in the long run, your manager might care, but does his manager and so on? "

Depends what you do. Some people dedicate their lives to helping other & solving problems for the world, enen in a small way , and they happen to get paid for it. The fool is the person who hates their job and carries on doing it.

"The bigger question should be why does work dominate our lives in such a way that is all that we do, it’s all people are, literally what’s your name and what do you do for a living? How many conversations have you had where this is the introduction, not do you have children, have you traveled, are you educated, work is not an achievement, it’s a sacrifice of your time for money and it has skewed society into thinking if you are on the ladder then that’s better because now you can own or look like you own nicer things when in reality you are giving your time and in time knowledge on the job to line your bosses pockets or worse still a shareholder who doesn’t give a monkeys about you doesn’t even know your name your situation anything they are just in a position to invest in the company you work for and now they own you, you think that’s a bit extreme ? Then look at it this way I’m an investor in the company I work for, not told anyone this but I own shares, every year I get a dividend which is essentially my portion of profit, in that dividend is a report of what’s happened and what’s planned, at no point does this correlate to what I do as a lowly employee, they will talk about values, people, like we are assets but when I arrive at work every day it’s get the job done regardless of how hard it is.

When you go to a funeral, someone will read out what you did for a living, where you worked like it’s important, it is not, in your heart you know this, so why wouldn’t you take time out for you, your mental health, because the company you work for, do not give a shit in the long run, your manager might care, but does his manager and so on? "

My feeling on work is that for the sake of profit, most jobs have become unnecessarily difficult and a strain on our physical and mental capacity to enjoy our lives. But- work is important. Just that the conditions we currently work in aren’t healthy.

"No get on with it it’s just slacking which is ruining the economy Just worked 7days straight averaging 9hours a day loving the fact I have 2days off bliss

Clearly haven't dealt with mental health issues, lucky you."

I beg to differ I’ve had mental break downs in the past the job I do which is highly stressed and safety oriented requires me to stop work in that instance However I got on with counselling and after six sessions I was back better than ever

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 19 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

Some interesting responses, thought provoking thread.

North Yorkshire

"No get on with it it’s just slacking which is ruining the economy Just worked 7days straight averaging 9hours a day loving the fact I have 2days off bliss

I beg to differ I’ve had mental break downs in the past the job I do which is highly stressed and safety oriented requires me to stop work in that instance However I got on with counselling and after six sessions I was back better than ever "

So you have had time off work due to MH issues, yet still begrudge that right to others?

By *aseylee324Couple 19 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

Yes it is. As with everything, there will be people who take the piss, this doesn't take from the genuine cases.

By *esthetic21Man 19 weeks ago

Birmingham/Bristol

Definitely

By *uliette500Woman 19 weeks ago

Hull

This comes from so.eone who has never had mental health issues.

By *oveToPlay.Couple 19 weeks ago

Yorkshire

Yes.

I managed a practice for many years.

Introduced a mental health policy. If you were struggling with your mental health we provided an assessment through our HR team. This assessment could then be used if you required support from your GP.

Our team building days also had elements of mindfulness and relaxation techniques which were always really well received.

The amount of sick days taken due to mental health was minimal - if you listen, understand, support and talk you're half way there.

S xxx

North Yorkshire

"Yes.

I managed a practice for many years.

Introduced a mental health policy. If you were struggling with your mental health we provided an assessment through our HR team. This assessment could then be used if you required support from your GP.

Our team building days also had elements of mindfulness and relaxation techniques which were always really well received.

The amount of sick days taken due to mental health was minimal - if you listen, understand, support and talk you're half way there.

S xxx

"

By *ezza50Man 19 weeks ago

Peterborough

Speaking from Personal experience yes it is

By *mf123Man 19 weeks ago

with one foot out the door

Probly but it doesnt work for all some folks need to be busy as too much silence can be far far worse

By *ty31Man 19 weeks ago

NW London

Yes, obviously ones health has to take priority and mental well being is as important as physical well being.

BUT

There are other times where it's actually beneficial to someone's well being to be at work and keeping busy rather than being at home feeling sorry for themselves.

I do think that being physically active is very good for mental well being. Which is why I'm concerned about the number of perving signed off long term in mental health grounds.

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman 19 weeks ago

Markfield

I think it definitely is, however as others have alluded to, it should be supported by tools to aid recovery in the same way a broken ankle may have a pain relief, cast, splint, crutches or mobility aid, mental health potentially needs talking therapy, medication, mindfulness etc to assist with healing. From personal experience one of the most beneficial things for my ongoing mental health wellbeing has been practicing yoga.

By *tackermanMan 19 weeks ago

Haydock

Absolute weapon plus you may as well delete your profile as you never gonna get a meet why do we have weapons like this

By *assy69Man 19 weeks ago

West Sussex and Wales

""

I used to say no. However, this last year has been torturous for my mental health and am only just beginning to find my way back. I’ve barely missed a days work but, when I have been there, I’ve just wanted to curl up and die some days. I grew up in a world where it was a case of “pull your socks up and look the world in the eye”. I’ve come to realise that life, and health is not that simple

your head

"Absolute weapon plus you may as well delete your profile as you never gonna get a meet why do we have weapons like this"

WTF?!

By *inkyduokentCouple 19 weeks ago

Swanley

Moronic question. Of course it is.

"Moronic question. Of course it is."

It isn’t moronic. And some people’s answers have shown that.

By *allandathleticMan 19 weeks ago

Asgard

1 million percent. 2 tradesmen commit suicide everyday in this country. If I feel I need some time away. A walk on the beach. Or just a day sat watching netflix. Not doing, just existing. I'll take that over total burnout.

I don’t need to clarify my position on this btw.

By *mf123Man 19 weeks ago

with one foot out the door

"I don’t need to clarify my position on this btw. "
we know missionary is king

By *weetiepie99Woman 19 weeks ago

cardiff

"Moronic question. Of course it is."

Rude

By *inosaur PantsMan 19 weeks ago

Stourbridge

100% yes.

your head

"1 million percent. 2 tradesmen commit suicide everyday in this country. If I feel I need some time away. A walk on the beach. Or just a day sat watching netflix. Not doing, just existing. I'll take that over total burnout."

That's an awful statistic

By *glyBettyTV/TS 19 weeks ago

About 3 feet away from the fence

100% yes.

By *melia DominaTV/TS 19 weeks ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

Yes

By *allandathleticMan 19 weeks ago

Asgard

"1 million percent. 2 tradesmen commit suicide everyday in this country. If I feel I need some time away. A walk on the beach. Or just a day sat watching netflix. Not doing, just existing. I'll take that over total burnout.

That's an awful statistic "

Absolutely. Unfortunately we seem behind the curve on discussing our emotional health. Blokey, blokes on site very rarely speak of their troubles.

Sometimes going to work can help as a distraction from other problems. I've found it's helped in situations where I've had bad news or suffered a family bereavement.

But sometimes the problem IS caused by work, or takes up too much headspace when you're dealing with another issue, in which case you have to fuck work off for a bit.

"I don’t need to clarify my position on this btw. we know missionary is king "

That is my favourite position yes

I beg to differ I’ve had mental break downs in the past the job I do which is highly stressed and safety oriented requires me to stop work in that instance However I got on with counselling and after six sessions I was back better than ever

So you have had time off work due to MH issues, yet still begrudge that right to others?"

It’s not a right it’s a need I do not begruge others I have my own ethic to deal with it and get on with it

By *hogun300Man 19 weeks ago

Dundee

Of course it is but like anything else only if it is genuine, which many are. Some do use it as an easy get out unfortunately.

By *illan-KillashMan 19 weeks ago

London/Sussex/Surrey/Berks/Hants

C

C"

People with genuine mental health challenges don't fake it.

They fake being OK.

By *4bimMan 19 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

If co-workers or management behaviour in an manner that results in a decline in your health then yes.

I took 6 months off. Returned to work. Decided I hated working for others and left. Interestingly, I've not suffered since working for myself. And now I'm mostly retired so zero stress

By *wingin CatMan 19 weeks ago

London

Yes - of course it's fine.

Be sure to also see your GP and obtain a certificate for time off.

Bro really said "but muh economy"

Nobody gives a shit about that, not even you

C

C

They fake being OK."

Your words right there have made me cry. That's what I do, say I'm OK but inside I'm screaming

By *ssex_tomMan 19 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Too many fakers. There are mental health victims and bone idle buggers who need to pull themselves together.....

By *amie HantsWoman 19 weeks ago

Atlantis

Yes of course. I’m not sure what all the comments about ‘not the fakers though’ are about… that seems obvious. You shouldn’t fake any illness to get out of work because you cba. I thought that goes without saying.

Birmingham

C

C

They fake being OK.

Your words right there have made me cry. That's what I do, say I'm OK but inside I'm screaming "

Sending hugs

Saying I'm OK is my standard response as most people don't want to know the truth

By *rHotNottsMan 19 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I think there’s a huge lack of knowledge in general about what is a mental health issue and what is mental wellbeing.

This leads to all kinds of bias around mental health with people thinking people are just faking it , are lazy etc.

Some of the ridiculous things I’ve heard like telling people who are suffering to just have a nice bath or go for a walk can you imagine saying that to someone with cancer ? Do you think mental illness is any less serious or doesn’t kill as many people ?

Treat mental illness as a real illness and everybody else take a deep breath , do some yoga or mindfulness and get your ass to work…. Or to the doctor !

By *illan-KillashMan 19 weeks ago

C

C

They fake being OK.

Your words right there have made me cry. That's what I do, say I'm OK but inside I'm screaming "

I hear you. It's OK to not be OK.

If you do one thing, Google "mental health support", there's a lot of helplines and free resources on the Internet. Be kind to yourself.

By *uckurcumMan 19 weeks ago

Nowhereland

Many people with mental health issues come across as strong ..capable..always the driver in situations/ relationships...always ready to listen to others etc ...

Problem is their likely running on empty without realising it ..Next step burnout.

People need time off ..but underlying these days there's little help and mental.health services run down ...it's bad enough young people can't access them but if your mature god help you !

If I want to take a day off because I'd rather spend the day playing GTA 5, or I want to take a hot air balloon ride across the Pennines, or because I'd rather watch the FA cup 3rd round replay between Huddersfield Town Vs Crewe Alexandra, then i shouldn't be shamed for feeling like I just want a day off to do whatever I want to do. I really don't give a shit about how others feel about it quite frankly.

People need to mind their own business

your head

"Too many fakers. There are mental health victims and bone idle buggers who need to pull themselves together....."

Victims?

By *ggdrasil66Man 19 weeks ago

Saltdean

The brain is a bodily organ, just like any others. If it goes wrong then it is often quite debilitating. There are health professionals who can tell if someone is faking it, and many of them work for the benefits agencies.

By *agnar73Man 19 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Many people with mental health issues come across as strong ..capable..always the driver in situations/ relationships...always ready to listen to others etc ...

Problem is their likely running on empty without realising it ..Next step burnout.

People need time off ..but underlying these days there's little help and mental.health services run down ...it's bad enough young people can't access them but if your mature god help you ! "

Often told I’d been ‘strong for too long’, not sharing what was going on and things like that.

Easily said but a lot of truth in having someone that you can share things with and a friend group that understands.

By *lowupdollTV/TS 19 weeks ago

Herts

What kills more men under 45 years old ever year, more than cancer, heart conditions, diabetes, and accidents?

We all know the answer.

Asking it is ok to be off work with mental health problems is like asking is it ok if I don’t stand in front of this oncoming bus?

It is always ok to remove yourself from harms way, to a place of safety. Even if that place is somewhere in your own head.

By *orny PTMan 19 weeks ago

Peterborough

Absolutely. imagine a train/tube driver seeing someone take their life on the line. That's gruesome and totally understandable....

There are only a handful of individuals that have gone through the horror and been willing to talk it through with the press, Dave Goodwin is one of those people.

The 63-year-old worked the railways in the late 80’s and was involved in eight railway incidents. He has recently spoken to Plymouth Live, where he explained the horror of those experiences, and the effect it had and still has on his life- Four decades later.

“It’s a shame for the driver, it’s a shame for his family, if he’s got kids, his kids will see the difference in him, his wife will. When you’re married like I was – I’m divorced now – it’s a big impact on your family, on the train driver’s family. It doesn’t just affect the driver.”

“It alters your attitude, your behaviour. It’s frightening and you don’t know what is happening to yourself. It can cause a lot of rows, they don’t know what is going on with you until you see a doctor. Then you get told that you’ve got severe chronic PTSD, and that makes you feel terrible all because someone was selfish doing that – they shouldn’t do it.”

“I know that times are desperate, desperate people do that, but there is help out there, please talk to someone.”

Taken from Voice of London 2019

By *amantha_JadeWoman 19 weeks ago

Newcastle

Agree Health and happiness are the most important things. Work for me is now just a means to an end. I have allowed work to impact my mental health in the past and I will not do it again. Do the minimum work required for the maximum benefit, get paid, enjoy my time with my loved ones. The majority of employers don’t give a shit about their staff. We are just numbers and would be replaced within a couple of weeks without a second thought.

"What kills more men under 45 years old ever year, more than cancer, heart conditions, diabetes, and accidents?

We all know the answer.

Asking it is ok to be off work with mental health problems is like asking is it ok if I don’t stand in front of this oncoming bus?

It is always ok to remove yourself from harms way, to a place of safety. Even if that place is somewhere in your own head.

"

I guess it sometimes feels like it’s taken less seriously. Even if you put it in your application, tell your employer, do all the things you should be doing, it still feels like when it happens, it’s bad that you’re off. We can’t help it but feel guilty.

By *ggdrasil66Man 19 weeks ago

Saltdean

When you go to a funeral, someone will read out what you did for a living, where you worked like it’s important, it is not, in your heart you know this, so why wouldn’t you take time out for you, your mental health, because the company you work for, do not give a shit in the long run, your manager might care, but does his manager and so on?

Agree Health and happiness are the most important things. Work for me is now just a means to an end. I have allowed work to impact my mental health in the past and I will not do it again. Do the minimum work required for the maximum benefit, get paid, enjoy my time with my loved ones. The majority of employers don’t give a shit about their staff. We are just numbers and would be replaced within a couple of weeks without a second thought. "

So, how long have you been working for Asda then?

Birmingham

"In certain professions

Absolutely. imagine a train/tube driver seeing someone take their life on the line. That's gruesome and totally understandable....

There are only a handful of individuals that have gone through the horror and been willing to talk it through with the press, Dave Goodwin is one of those people.

The 63-year-old worked the railways in the late 80’s and was involved in eight railway incidents. He has recently spoken to Plymouth Live, where he explained the horror of those experiences, and the effect it had and still has on his life- Four decades later.

“It’s a shame for the driver, it’s a shame for his family, if he’s got kids, his kids will see the difference in him, his wife will. When you’re married like I was – I’m divorced now – it’s a big impact on your family, on the train driver’s family. It doesn’t just affect the driver.”

“It alters your attitude, your behaviour. It’s frightening and you don’t know what is happening to yourself. It can cause a lot of rows, they don’t know what is going on with you until you see a doctor. Then you get told that you’ve got severe chronic PTSD, and that makes you feel terrible all because someone was selfish doing that – they shouldn’t do it.”

“I know that times are desperate, desperate people do that, but there is help out there, please talk to someone.”

Taken from Voice of London 2019

"

The impact on the driver is one reason I would try and avoid that method, even if it's one of the easier ones.

By *iscean_dreamMan 19 weeks ago

Llanelli

As someone who's suffered with mental health since primary school I'd say yes it is

"Poor mental health is.

Brain overload can cause many physical problems.

Stress, anxiety, depression, mania, bi polar, and any other issues that come under the umbrella term mental health are as serious and important as heart problems, broken bones, musculoskeletal problems, burst appendix, gallbladder removal etc etc etc, and should be taken as seriously.

"

Some people think just turning up for work is itself a virtue. Likely because they're a replaceable component of the work force so availability is the only ability of value they offer.

The chef execs and CEOs are not going to be losing sleep because Johnny Penpusher hasn't turned in.

""

Totally,a colleague was off with it.

By *inky_couple2020Couple 19 weeks ago

North West

"Absolute weapon plus you may as well delete your profile as you never gonna get a meet why do we have weapons like this"

Back in the twilight of my youth, the word "weapon" was appropriated to mean someone who was particularly good at something. E.g. "did you see how far he threw that? Dude's an absolute weapon." I'm going to use that meaning of the word. Mr Pickle is particularly good at lots of things.

I find it sad how someone would use a negative connotation to that suggest someone who discloses mental health issues is better off deleting their profile [themselves??] and that no-one would want to meet them. Mr Pickle is one of the most meetable people on this infernal thing.

By *avexxMan 19 weeks ago

cheshire

of course its a good enough reason,,

By *KentMan 19 weeks ago

Canterbury

Yes.

By *ittlebirdWoman 19 weeks ago

The Big Smoke

Obviously

"Obviously "

You

By *4seven69Couple 19 weeks ago

Near Mansfield

Of course. Mental health is real and everyone has their own struggles and battles.

I work with kids....it wouldn't be fair for me to go to work when I'm really struggling. What type of role model is that?

I do generally prefer to plod on and avoid hiding under a rock. That being said I do like to hide away from the world at times.

I think we should fight our battles the way we like, being at work or not but the most important part is talking it out or at least surround yourself by loved ones.

Prinny x

By *rMonkeyMan 19 weeks ago

Somewhere

Yes, I'm sure if I wasn't bone idle and just pulled myself together as Tom said it would all have been ok Nob

By *ou only live onceMan 19 weeks ago

London

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say yes.

By *essTTWoman 19 weeks ago

Birmingham

I had an informal admission at my local MH centre a few years ago. Work were really really good about it.

Mental health is just as important as physical health, and should be treated as such!

North Yorkshire

"What kills more men under 45 years old ever year, more than cancer, heart conditions, diabetes, and accidents?

We all know the answer.

I guess it sometimes feels like it’s taken less seriously. Even if you put it in your application, tell your employer, do all the things you should be doing, it still feels like when it happens, it’s bad that you’re off. We can’t help it but feel guilty.

"

Oh, Pickle, try to ignore the niggling guilt. 5 years ago I let that guilt dictate my choices for far too long and my kids almost ended up not having a mum. Now I carry that guilt instead.

Birmingham

There is a lot of talk around these days about mh as there should be but unfortunately it does not make it easier to be honest with employers or recruitment agencies.

My previous employer's answer to my issues was to let religion into my life.

I have had recruitment agencies laugh at me for how long my career gap has been or stopped taking my calls when I explained truthfully why the length of the gap.

By *ackem wetMan 19 weeks ago

Sunderland

Mental health is as important as physical health 100%....whilst physical health may be more widely viewed as a reason to be off work, mental health in certain industries is still a taboo subject....as someone who has personally suffered with both in the past, i can honestly say the physical health tends to be more of an 'in the moment' fix, where as mental health certainly can take more time to get the right treatment/diagnose etc for you.... Neither are any less harmfull and neither should be treat any different when it comes to stereotypical 'being fit for work'....... Remember everyone, 1st May til 31st May is mental health awareness month. There are so many amazing people on here who are happy to share their chat, experience and quite often professional help so hopefully no one ever feels they can't reach out if they need someone to speak to anytime xxx

By *ea monkeyMan 19 weeks ago

Manchester (he/him)

Yes.

I guess the issue becomes when it’s required for the person to self govern and not to abuse the system but MH is just as important as physical health

By *ravelling_WilburyMan 19 weeks ago

Beverley

Yeah. You cant run or sleep it off

By *orny PTMan 18 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Yeah. You cant run or sleep it off "

By *illan-KillashMan 18 weeks ago

Right here. Attitudes like this, exactly like this, are top of the "why don't people open up about their mental health" list.

One day, when you're sat in front of your GP, and falling apart, be thankfull he doesn't tell you to fuck of and call you a weapon.

By *rFoxAndXenoCouple 18 weeks ago

Weymouth

"Absolute weapon plus you may as well delete your profile as you never gonna get a meet why do we have weapons like this

Right here. Attitudes like this, exactly like this, are top of the "why don't people open up about their mental health" list.

One day, when you're sat in front of your GP, and falling apart, be thankfull he doesn't tell you to fuck of and call you a weapon."

By *midnight-Woman 18 weeks ago

It absolutely is, yes.

A bigger question is, is it your workplace, work colleagues or job responsibilities that are making you ill. In which case you need a very open chat with your manager to get things to improve

Unfortunately many people work in SME's that can't afford to loose the resource, so you may find yourself under more pressure.

Anyone suffering with MH needs to identify what makes them happy (ie gardening, exercising, painting) and do that as much as possible, whenever possible, to fill their soul - the theory being this gives you the resilience to get through your week /stress of working.

Writing 5 positive things each day, along with grounding and meditation /mindfulness are also great techniques for building resilience.

Remember to be kind to yourself, choose to be happy and 'let go' of anything negative. Don't ruminate, it's just a vicious downward spiral and mqke sure you are eating well, getting sunshine (a gentle walk?) and plenty of good quality sleep

By *rFoxAndXenoCouple 18 weeks ago

Weymouth

"It absolutely is, yes.

A bigger question is, is it your workplace, work colleagues or job responsibilities that are making you ill. In which case you need a very open chat with your manager to get things to improve

Unfortunately many people work in SME's that can't afford to loose the resource, so you may find yourself under more pressure.

Anyone suffering with MH needs to identify what makes them happy (ie gardening, exercising, painting) and do that as much as possible, whenever possible, to fill their soul - the theory being this gives you the resilience to get through your week /stress of working.

Writing 5 positive things each day, along with grounding and meditation /mindfulness are also great techniques for building resilience.

Remember to be kind to yourself, choose to be happy and 'let go' of anything negative. Don't ruminate, it's just a vicious downward spiral and mqke sure you are eating well, getting sunshine (a gentle walk?) and plenty of good quality sleep"

By *ubikslongswordMan 18 weeks ago

East Grinstead

100% yes

By *igjonny090Man 18 weeks ago

blackpool, lancaster, Manchester and Loughborough

Absolutely, it’s just the same as someone whose broken a leg or had major surgery just because there are no physical or visible symptoms doesn’t mean it isn’t there

By *eneralKenobiMan 18 weeks ago

North Angus

I would say so as my mental health improves vastly by not being at work

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple 18 weeks ago

Southampton

100% .... I have unfortunately had to be signed off work due to poor mental health ( caused by said job )

By *ansoffateMan 18 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

It's really nice to see people recognising mental ill-health in the same respect as 'physical' illness.

After all the brain is physical as several prominent Psychiatrists have been pointing out for decades and identifying this misconception as one of the fundamental aspects that leads to stigma around mental health that it's 'all in the mind'.

By *razytimesinloveCouple 18 weeks ago

SW Scotland

Possibly the worst advice if seen on the internet in ages !

Taking time off for mental health issues is not detrimental to the economy.

For a start the majority of the workforce very recently had some time off and we all managed.

Taking a week or two off now could very much save you from completely burning out and having to take months off later down the line.

Just to add if I averaged 9 hours a day I could easily work 7 days straight.

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man 18 weeks ago

Stourbridge

Totally.

I have struggled in the past, as in common with many. I had a very bad time about 9 years ago which took me off my feet. I was terrified of speaking to people etc.

By *ARPMAN66Man 14 weeks ago

Stafford

Definitely ??

By *raigxMan 14 weeks ago

Northampton

Of course it is. In many respects it is worse than physical injury or physical ill health. Utterly demoralising with potentially much longer lasting damage. However some people clearly jump on the mental health bandwagon as and when it chooses them. That’s a different thing altogether

By *westUKguyMan 14 weeks ago

Southport

No comment

By *oe8logsMan 14 weeks ago

reading

We had someone phone in saying they couldn’t come in as they had a bad dream that night!!

By *allerthanaverage79Man 14 weeks ago

Ayrshire

Of course it is,, just none of the people in my work ever do!!!

By *orny PTMan 14 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Absolutely, it’s just the same as someone whose broken a leg or had major surgery just because there are no physical or visible symptoms doesn’t mean it isn’t there "

The NHS is good at fixing a damaged heart: but lousy at fixing a broken heart.

Public sympathy is about the same, but it will take decades to equalise.

By *ootyfruityCouple 14 weeks ago

andover

Yes, people need time to recover, not just physically

By *he KakapoMan 14 weeks ago

A nice rock

It absolutely is.

Some people will take the piss but those people would find a physical illness if they had to.

On balance having mental health days would be a net benefit to any company

By *ssex_tomMan 14 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Some people just need to man up and get on with it

By *orksRockerMan 14 weeks ago

Bradford

"Some people just need to man up and get on with it "

Some people really don't know what they are talking about and better saying NOTHING at all!!

By *atnip make me purrWoman 14 weeks ago

Reading

Of course. If you don't think so you have never had poor mental health.

By *allerthanaverage79Man 14 weeks ago

Ayrshire

"It absolutely is.

Some people will take the piss but those people would find a physical illness if they had to.

On balance having mental health days would be a net benefit to any company"

There are some that are very good at it, but sadly few and far between!

By *he KakapoMan 14 weeks ago

A nice rock

"It absolutely is.

On balance having mental health days would be a net benefit to any company

There are some that are very good at it, but sadly few and far between! "

It will get better over time

By *luehairedcumslutCouple 14 weeks ago

St Neots

I struggle with mental health and I've called in "sick" plenty of times because of it.... But when I think about it, did taking a day off here and there actually help?? Not really

By *westUKguyMan 14 weeks ago

Southport

"Some people just need to man up and get on with it "
.....love it lol